[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Newbie Welcome Thread

rajncajn

Who: delusions of granduer, AKA DoG

What: Lifelong UGA Fan, Alum

When: 28 years old

Where: Atlanta, GA

Why: I like living vicariously

Fantasy Bio: Started sports book betting almost 10 years ago, but that all took a backseat when I discovered fantasy football about 5 years ago. Between the shear greatness of the game and underemployment, it has become an all-out obsession. I'm always tempted to join more leagues, but I'll be playing in an ideal 3 leagues this year, 1 local and a newb in 2 BoTH leagues (Huddle Ladder, Live and Let Dy Dynasty)... Oh and a free league too :wacko:

Who: bdog, future HoF QB (loljk), cowboys fan

What: Senior in high school, planning to move back to Dallas for college.

When: 17.

Where: Born in Dallas, currently reside in...New York.

Why: FOOTBALL<3

Fantasy Bio: Second year player. As a rookie won 2/3 leagues participated in, 10 and 12 team leagues. Came in 10th out of 20 in the third, which was my first draft. I quickly learned not to draft all the cowboys I could get my hands on. If I'd known how to draft before I did my first one, the 20 teamer, I'd have been a surefire playoff contender there too. This year I'm in about 12 leagues on nfl.com, espn.com, and yahoo.com. I look forward to dominating :]

Also, ROMO IS GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD (lol)

Who: bdog, future HoF QB (loljk), cowboys fan

What: Senior in high school, planning to move back to Dallas for college.

When: 17.

Where: Born in Dallas, currently reside in...New York.

Why: FOOTBALL<3

Fantasy Bio: Second year player. As a rookie won 2/3 leagues participated in, 10 and 12 team leagues. Came in 10th out of 20 in the third, which was my first draft. I quickly learned not to draft all the cowboys I could get my hands on. If I'd known how to draft before I did my first one, the 20 teamer, I'd have been a surefire playoff contender there too. This year I'm in about 12 leagues on nfl.com, espn.com, and yahoo.com. I look forward to dominating :]

Also, ROMO IS GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD (lol)

Oh Good Lord, another cowboys fan.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Totally missed this last year, not sure why. I've been here a couple years, but still way behind a lot of you....I guess "newbie" is all relative. :)

Who: bud29

What: Student - doesn't get much more exciting than that! :unsure:

When: 17

Where: Halfway between KC and Denver - way too many Broncos fans for my taste.

Why: Adds some extra fun to Sundays (and beyond, now that I've been dabbling in dynasty leagues).

Fantasy Bio: Nothing exciting. Incessant FF advertising on Sunday afternoons piqued my interest about 6 years ago. One league turned into two, two leagues turned into seven. You know how it goes. :tup:

• Like 1

Starting to see a lot of new faces around here already, just wondering who, what, when, where & why you are. Somebody does this sort of thing every season, figured I'd jump the gun. First word of warning, never take ANYTHING seriously here. Any Vets wanna put theirs in they are more than welcome as well.

Example:

Who: rajncajn, your friendly neighborhood Saints fan

What: Ship Systems Test Development Director & Saints fan always & forever.

When: Soon to be 44

Where: Hail from the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Ocean Springs to be exact.

Why: After

Fantasy Bio: Nearly 20 years playing fantasy football & I'm no better now than I was then. , been a Huddler for 18 now? Wow, that's a strange thought. Being older, with a mortgage, kids etc I don't have near the time I used to, but still keep up with 2 active leagues. 1 local 12 team keeper and 1 BOTH (Born Of The Huddle) league, Fusion, a 16 team dynasty going on it's 13th season (correct me Big John)

A little updated

Never did one of these back when - so why not.. Noob or Vet, here she blows..

Who: Shorttynaz – an AOL name I came up with when I first moved to Arizona 19 years ago – a name that was retired a long time ago when AOL died. I’m 6’5” in Arizona – nickname at the time was shortty (why the two t’s I don’t know)

What: Software Engineer – work from home – my kids, sports, and video games still consumes all my free time – and when the kids are in bed and I’m tired of video games; beejays. LOL J

When: I’m 37 now – but I started playing FF when I was 18

Where: Originally from Indiana, now I live in the Phoenix area (have for 19 years)

Why: I started playing FF for free back in like 1998. I moved away from Indiana and wanted a reason / way to still follow the Colts and thought this would be pretty cool. I was HORRIBLE my first two seasons – I did what any noob does – just started picking the guys from my favorite team. Edgerrin James (my 2nd season), Marvin Harrison, Peyton Manning, Ken Dilger, (most of these guys were before they were good).

Fantasy Bio: As mentioned above I started playing FF in 1998. Didn’t get into my first pay league until 2003 when a co-worker offered me a spot in his league. $100 entry. I went from playing for free to $100. Was still a little fresh at the time cause I really didn’t care about winning in a free league – it gave me a reason to follow other teams/players, etc. My buddy (co-worker) told me if I want to be a little more competitive, I should look into paying a few bucks for an advice site – and I came across the Huddle. Been paying for it ever since – until DMD decides to give out a loyalty subscription. That league I got into is still the main one I play in year after year (same team that’s in my signature). With the help of the Huddle, I’ve won the championship 3 times, and 4 different times I’ve won the points title. Currently I play in 8 leagues (4 too many if you ask me). I decided to get into some leagues with some fellow Huddlers this year – got into Weapons of DMD; East-vs-West; and Huddle Elite. I like every one of them so far and it’s fun playing with some of these guys – not trying to get off on a tangent here – but won’t be coming back to these 3 leagues next year if MFL is still the site that will host these leagues. I only play in redrafts, and everything with a redraft is pretty simple – something that’s more than easy enough to handle with the likes of ESPN or Yahoo. A lot less complicated – anyway – that’s about it for this noob!

Edited by Shorttynaz

Totally missed this last year, not sure why. I've been here a couple years, but still way behind a lot of you....I guess "newbie" is all relative. :)

Who: bud29

What: Student - doesn't get much more exciting than that! :unsure:

When: 17

Where: Halfway between KC and Denver - way too many Broncos fans for my taste.

Why: Adds some extra fun to Sundays (and beyond, now that I've been dabbling in dynasty leagues).

Fantasy Bio: Nothing exciting. Incessant FF advertising on Sunday afternoons piqued my interest about 6 years ago. One league turned into two, two leagues turned into seven. You know how it goes. :tup:

:clap: Nice to see a young buck in these parts. It's been probably 10 years since the likes of seminoles and broncosn05 were 'round these parts.

• Like 1

I have also never seen this thread...I think I had an account here back in 2008, but I only used it for the advice forum and I lost the login and started a new one in 2011. I post on some other message boards, but this one is my favorite. I like the locker room type of environment here and the in depth football arguments that ensue. There is a lot of general knowledge about the game, it's history, and good home team insight that flows through a lot of the threads here. I know that many of the long time members talk about how it 'isn't what it used to be', but it's still a good forum, even if it is a little less active than some others. Personally, some of those other boards are so inundated with posts that they are like a crowded airport full of strangers, they are diluted and impersonal. But anyhow...enough of that talk...here we go:

Who: Baracus. Married with two kids, both boys.

What: Wahoo and lifelong Broncos fan. Professional Engineer. Repairer of all things mechanical.

When: 35

Where: Raised in the hills but now living on the coast...always in Virginia.

Why: Fantasy football (especially since I started playing dynasty) has taught me to watch the game in a radically different way. For a while, it made Sunday more stressful, but now, I don't check fantasy scores, I just watch the games. I have gradually learned to watch what is happening on the field away from the ball, and it has really improved my understanding of the game.

Fantasy Bio: I played in my first league in 2007 with some buddies from college. A very good friend talked me into it and I reluctantly agreed, and now I am hooked. I missed the online draft (probably drunk and forgot about it) and was lucky enough to have autodrafted Brady in his monster year. The only regular season game I lost was against the Moss owner the week of the snow game vs TEN. I got knocked out of the playoffs by the eventual champ that year. I am still in that same league and it is my most intense league - we have a Stanley Cup style trophy that gets engraved with the champion's name every year. I have gradually added leagues over the years and now play in 3 dynasty and 4 redraft.

I have managed to move up in The Huddle Ladder each year and I won my division two years ago (I would have won my division last year had I not been an idiot and started Manziel in week 15). I am hoping for another successful year to make that leap into HOF. I have been playing in my local league since 2008 and have won it 3 times. I organized a work league in 2009 and we all still play together despite not working together anymore. That (former) work league is more casual, but it wasn't until last year that I finally won the thing. I finally got my name on the 'Stanley Cup' back in 2012 and my crowning achievement in fantasy is that I am the only manager to have made the playoffs in that league every year since it's inception.

On the dynasty front, I joined the Hodge Podge Dynasty Dream (started by Irish, but now run by CK) which had it's startup draft last summer. Last summer I also started a contract dynasty league that many of my redraft buddies play in. I also joined another dynasty league that started up this past year.

This will be my 3rd year playing DFS and I am finally taking it seriously in terms of bankroll management and strategy. I played more as a casual lotto ticket thing in the past, but am hoping that I can turn it into a profitable endeavor. I also took MFL10's seriously this summer and am hoping to bank some cash from those.

I really want to focus on dynasty and DFS, but I don't want to give up any of my redraft leagues as they are all fun and pose either unique challenges (Ladder) or are with good friends. Between work and family, I really don't have time for it, so I frequently replace sleep with fantasy football, but I love it!

Edited by BA Baracus
  • Like 1

oh yeah? where in the hills of VA? i, hail from the boonies, too! and, why broncos? lol btw, my 17 y/o daughter is looking @ becoming a 'hoo next year!

Pittsylvania County. How about you?

Growing up, everyone was either a Redskins or Cowboys fan and I have just never liked going with a crowd. Also, my first real football memory was watching Elway engineer The Drive. He became my favorite player that day and it stuck with me.

Best of luck to your daughter. UVa is a great experience.

Pittsylvania County. How about you?

Growing up, everyone was either a Redskins or Cowboys fan and I have just never liked going with a crowd. Also, my first real football memory was watching Elway engineer The Drive. He became my favorite player that day and it stuck with me.

Best of luck to your daughter. UVa is a great experience.

thanks, right now UVA is either her 2nd or 3rd choice (it fluctuates, daily! lol)...I "think" Duke is still #1, but GA Tech and UVA are still up there on her list, too...of course, Mom's first choice is Charlottesvile for proximity purposes (Durham and Atlanta are TOO far away!)...lol

i grew-up in SW VA right on the border of So.WV, about 60 miles west of Blacksburg...everyone there was either a Steelers or Cowboys fan (that was before the Panthers, so I'm really old!)...I was actually a Steelers fan growing up, w/T. Bradshaw, F. Harris, R. Bleier, L. Swann, J. Lambert, M. Blount, etc., but became a "homer" with the Redskins when I moved to NoVA in the late '80s...Joe Gibbs was THE MAN! :). now, i can't stand the Steelers, because their fans are so obnoxious (at least the ones in DC!) Anyway, I've been enduring hardship ever since the early to mid-90s...lol