[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why does Miami have a MLB team?

Sleeping King

Poor poor Florida Marlins fans. Not sure there is actually a Marlin fan :D but what hell they have gone through. I have to admit this is one of the saddest photos I have ever seen sports wise.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/M...216_800x600.jpg

375 people show up to the game. Here is a link to the story because I did not believe it either.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7091201874.html

The owners consistent fire sales have caused a complete turnoff even though the Marlins have won the WS twice. Similar thing happened in Charlotte to the NBA team - the hate for the owner reached such a level hardly anyone showed up.

That said, Miami has hardly any sports fans anyway - NBA, MLB and NFL teams all have sub-par crowds.

Poor poor Florida Marlins fans. Not sure there is actually a Marlin fan :D but what hell they have gone through. I have to admit this is one of the saddest photos I have ever seen sports wise.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/M...216_800x600.jpg

375 people show up to the game. Here is a link to the story because I did not believe it either.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7091201874.html

This is pathetic...baseball should be embarassed. Where's all that revenue share money going? Certainly not back into the team. I agree that Miami is a horrible sports town...but 375 people? The Bad News Bears drew more than that!

You always hear the pathetic excuse of "well, a (insert warm weather city/state) team has lots of competition for the entertainment dollar", usually used to explain why SoCal and Fla teams have poor attendance. Which is an out-and-out lie - much as I rip Texas, they have just as much warm weather and the same Gulf Coast and don't have half the problems of Fla/Cali teams. Not to mention that cold-weather cities such as Seattle, Chicago, and New York are hardly cow towns - IMO NY or Chi probably has as much/MORE to do than Miami. People always yap about "why watch the Marlins when you can go to the beach?" I don't know; Chicago has nice beaches and fewer warm weather days to enjoy them, yet they have NO problem filling their stadiums for all but the most pathetic franchises (and even the Cubs sell out on a near-constant basis).

Bottom line is S Fla and California sports fans, in a word, stink. Screw 'em. If they don't support a franchise, contract it. Fans in Green Bay famously put up with poor management from the late 60s to the early 90s, and still came to games. Chicagoans have watched the Cubs and Sox suck for decades and still had respectable attendance - and the McCaskeys are generally regarded to have had GSH spinning in his grave for most of the past 20 or so years. The Jets have been more bad than good and still do well.

And believe me, it's MUCH easier to sit in the stands in 70 degrees and watch a bad game than it is when it's 10 degrees with the wind chill at minus 5.

You always hear the pathetic excuse of "well, a (insert warm weather city/state) team has lots of competition for the entertainment dollar", usually used to explain why SoCal and Fla teams have poor attendance. Which is an out-and-out lie - much as I rip Texas, they have just as much warm weather and the same Gulf Coast and don't have half the problems of Fla/Cali teams. Not to mention that cold-weather cities such as Seattle, Chicago, and New York are hardly cow towns - IMO NY or Chi probably has as much/MORE to do than Miami. People always yap about "why watch the Marlins when you can go to the beach?" I don't know; Chicago has nice beaches and fewer warm weather days to enjoy them, yet they have NO problem filling their stadiums for all but the most pathetic franchises (and even the Cubs sell out on a near-constant basis).

Bottom line is S Fla and California sports fans, in a word, stink. Screw 'em. If they don't support a franchise, contract it. Fans in Green Bay famously put up with poor management from the late 60s to the early 90s, and still came to games. Chicagoans have watched the Cubs and Sox suck for decades and still had respectable attendance - and the McCaskeys are generally regarded to have had GSH spinning in his grave for most of the past 20 or so years. The Jets have been more bad than good and still do well.

And believe me, it's MUCH easier to sit in the stands in 70 degrees and watch a bad game than it is when it's 10 degrees with the wind chill at minus 5.

:D:D:wacko::wacko::wacko: Couldn't agree more.

The best story is from the other day, when at a game attended by 400, yes four hundred, the Ump working the plate threw a guy out of the stadium because his heckling wasn't being drowned out by the rest of the crowd noise so the ump was hearing every word of it.

A hole (the ump).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7091202444.html