[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MLB Playoff Thread

broncosn05

fwiw...i'm a giants fan.. they were out a while ago. rockies gave me someone to root for..... this is not a baseball town, but what is going on shouldn't be ignored regardless of how many season ticket holder they've had.

seriously... you think yankee fans can really feel this excitement? postseason is a foregone conclusion... good for CO and their fans. big question will be if they choose to let they youngin's go next year like they've done in the past... i think that more than "losing" has driven them away from the park.... ownership indifference is a biatch

Agreed. It's not like people here didn't want to root for the Rockies before but there was little to root for before Holliday began tearing it up two years ago and has been steadily increasing to this point where the whole state seems to be a fan. Also with how crazy this state is I don't think they can get rid of any big names as the town finally feels a connection with it's players, well since the days of Walker and Castilla. :D

Edited by broncosn05

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's already been said that Colorado is definitely not a baseball town. I think the below records prove it.. Sure next year they'll probably flirt with the 32,000 barrier. Anyway, I'm not at all trying to take anything from you Rockies fans. This team has DEFINITELY given you something to cheer about, and at least something to look forward to next April.. Anyway, I looked these up for whatever reason so here's the numbers:

Still low compared to other standards - below are the average attendances of each NL team since the 2000 season. Rockies are 2nd to last behind a poor FLA market.

2000 - NYM average attendance - 34,821

2001 - AZ average attendance - 33,766

2002 - SF average attendance - 40,163

2003 - FLA average attendance - 16,290

2004 - STL average attendance - 37,634

2005 - HOU average attendance - 34,530

2006 - STL average attendance - 42,588

2007 - COL (per your stats) average attendance is 28,979

Agreed. It's not like people here didn't want to root for the Rockies before but there was little to root for before Holliday began tearing it up two years ago and has been steadily increasing to this point where the whole state seems to be a fan. Also with how crazy this state is I don't think they can get rid of any big names as the town finally feels a connection with it's players, well since the days of Walker and Castilla. :D

What big names are there to get rid of?? The only other big names that Colorado has are Helton and the ROY - Tulowitski (sp?)

Edited by Shorttynaz

It's already been said that Colorado is definitely not a baseball town. I think the below records prove it.. Sure next year they'll probably flirt with the 32,000 barrier. Anyway, I'm not at all trying to take anything from you Rockies fans. This team has DEFINITELY given you something to cheer about, and at least something to look forward to next April.. Anyway, I looked these up for whatever reason so here's the numbers:

Still low compared to other standards - below are the average attendances of each NL team since the 2000 season. Rockies are 2nd to last behind a poor FLA market.

2000 - NYM average attendance - 34,821

2001 - AZ average attendance - 33,766

2002 - SF average attendance - 40,163

2003 - FLA average attendance - 16,290

2004 - STL average attendance - 37,634

2005 - HOU average attendance - 34,530

2006 - STL average attendance - 42,588

2007 - COL (per your stats) average attendance is 28,978

Ursa is never right, about anything.

What big names are there to get rid of?? The only other big names that Colorado has are Helton and the ROY - Tulowitski (sp?)

it's ok broncos.. they aren't big names...... small market... they become bigger names when they leave

Holiday was a given. Your post was about him. Your post said they cant afford to get rid of any OTHER big names. My question again is what other big names are avialable to get rid of???

Francis is an emerging stud, Corpas is a stud, Atkins is pretty good at third, Hawpe is a run of the mill solid player, and we have some young arms as Azz mentioned.

also that wasn't my post....

Edited by broncosn05

Francis is an emerging stud, Corpas is a stud, Atkins is pretty good at third, Hawpe is a run of the mill solid player, and we have some young arms as Azz mentioned.

Francis?? Here's his stats for the last 3 seasons:

2005: 14-12 with a 5.68 ERA

2006: 13-11 with a 4.16 ERA

2007: 17-9 with a 4.22 ERA

I'm not a math major, but I dont think I'd classify those numbers as an "emerging stud". Above aberage maybe - solid #2 on most teams, but not a stud

Edited by Shorttynaz

also that wasn't my post....

???

How was this not your post?

Edited by Shorttynaz

Francis?? Here's his stats for the last 3 seasons:

2005: 14-12 with a 5.68 ERA

2006: 13-11 with a 4.16 ERA

2007: 17-9 with a 4.22 ERA

I'm not a math major, but I dont think I'd classify those numbers as an "emerging stud". Above aberage maybe - solid #2 on most teams, but not a stud

I've argued that point also but am then overwhelmed with the Coors Field theory and his W-L column. 17-9 is pretty damn good and this guy is praised by management and teammates. When Cook went down and before this guy stepped up as our #1. And though the guy has been, what I've called weak, post All Star he has stepped up in his postseason starts.... I'm hesitant to put his name out there personally but a lot of people seem to think he is special.

I wasn't calling out Holliday in particular saying he was untouchable by management, thought he is. Just saying that much of the fans loyalty is to these players and not to management. If you know what I mean....

I can definitely hear that. Here in AZ as old as he was and wanted to play one more game we as fans wanted to see Gonzo finish his career here. I men in the long run it paid off, but this is a new management/ownership group here in AZ. They've changed quite a bit that most "loyal" fans dont like.. Oh well.. It's up to us to not pay for a product.

Wow.. Look at this.. This whole year there probably wasn't one Rockies fan here all year. I mean the media is hyping up the Dbacks not selling out their games. Yes, Colorado may be selling out their playoff games, but where were all these fans with two weeks to go in the regular season?? Oh yeah.. I remember.. They were all trying to get behind a horrible Bronco's team. It's cool to see how the team has all this support now, but just goes to show that there is another team (Colorado) out there with a bunch of fairweather fans. What's gonna happen next season? You're gonna sell out the opening day, then maybe 15-20,000 seats the rest of the way..

:D:wacko:

Rockies average attendance for 2007 is 28,979. You can bet it will be higher in 2008.

yeah and the dbags drew LESS than that. shortynads has about as much class and as much foot in his mouth as eric :wacko: byrnes. :D

hey shorty, do you know which team has all-time single season attendance record?

i will say, most rockies fans, myself definitely included, have been down on the rox the last several years. ever since the hanpton/neagle debacle, the front office has been ridiculously tight with the wallet. as soon as any player would get halfway decent, they'd be shipped off for prospects that never panned out. it has been very frustrating. last year, they sorta started to turn it around. you could see a pretty decent young nucleus starting to develop. this last offseason, they were at least able to keep holliday around for a year through arbitration, but they didnt lock him up long term, and they tried like hell to get rid of helton. most of us suspected the front office would continue their cheap ways, and this great young nucleus would never get the chance long term to develop together. but this year....hey, i was mildly optimistic going into the season. they sorta hung around .500 all year, and i said to myself a lot of times, if they keep this team together, they could actually be really good next year. with maybe a month left in the season, they were hanging 6, 7 games back in the WC race, there wasn't much reason to think about anything except next year, and what would they look like. but then it happened....they caught the proverbial lightning in a bottle, and it's been a friggin blast. as someone who went to dozens of denver bears and denver zephyrs games in old mile high stadium, and who watched the likes of charlie hayes and eric young from the south stands of the same joint, and watched them lose 95 games...and someone who pulled my hair out as they traded away neifi perez and preston wilson and shawn chacon and every other player that looked like they were halfway decent....i sure as hell don't feel like i have to apologize to any f'n dbags fan for getting excited about what they're doing in 2007 :wacko:

I can definitely hear that. Here in AZ as old as he was and wanted to play one more game we as fans wanted to see Gonzo finish his career here. I men in the long run it paid off, but this is a new management/ownership group here in AZ. They've changed quite a bit that most "loyal" fans dont like.. Oh well.. It's up to us to not pay for a product.

If these guys make/win the WS I don't see how any move with a significant name will be taken lightly. Much more people will be paying attention to what this team does in the offseason now.

:D:wacko:

yeah and the dbags drew LESS than that. shortynads has about as much class and as much foot in his mouth as eric :wacko: byrnes. :D

hey shorty, do you know which team has all-time single season attendance record?

i will say, most rockies fans, myself definitely included, have been down on the rox the last several years. ever since the hanpton/neagle debacle, the front office has been ridiculously tight with the wallet. as soon as any player would get halfway decent, they'd be shipped off for prospects that never panned out. it has been very frustrating. last year, they sorta started to turn it around. you could see a pretty decent young nucleus starting to develop. this last offseason, they were at least able to keep holliday around for a year through arbitration, but they didnt lock him up long term, and they tried like hell to get rid of helton. most of us suspected the front office would continue their cheap ways, and this great young nucleus would never get the chance long term to develop together. but this year....hey, i was mildly optimistic going into the season. they sorta hung around .500 all year, and i said to myself a lot of times, if they keep this team together, they could actually be really good next year. with maybe a month left in the season, they were hanging 6, 7 games back in the WC race, there wasn't much reason to think about anything except next year, and what would they look like. but then it happened....they caught the proverbial lightning in a bottle, and it's been a friggin blast. as someone who went to dozens of denver bears and denver zephyrs games in old mile high stadium, and who watched the likes of charlie hayes and eric young from the south stands of the same joint, and watched them lose 95 games...and someone who pulled my hair out as they traded away neifi perez and preston wilson and shawn chacon and every other player that looked like they were halfway decent....i sure as hell don't feel like i have to apologize to any f'n dbags fan for getting excited about what they're doing in 2007 :wacko:

:wacko::D