[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Les Miles

theeohiostate

No one is denying it's better than a tie. Just should be taken into consideration when voting in polls.

I equate it to basketball having a similiar like OT. Both teams getting the ball at half court for one possession each. No pressing, no full court defense, no fast break etc. Princeton basketball would probably vote for that. :D

I would prefer to see an extra quarter of football and if the game ends in a tie after that quarter than the game ends in a tie unless it's the BCS NC game. Then they would have to play another quarter till we get a winner.

A tie should be a loss IMO.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The order of teams is reversed in each OT.

For the side of the field, the first 2 OT's is on the same side, then switches for the 3rd-4th OT, (and if needed switch after each 2 OT period)

Not sure about that John. Think the team gets a choice whether to play Offense or Defense in the 2nd OT. Most coaches chose defense for obvious reasons, but some question that thought process since your defense might need a rest. Think they flip the coin later to once again decide which team gets the first choice offense/defense or what end of the end zone you want to go towards. :D

Edited by Rockerbraves

I still cant wrap my head around the idea that an OT loss is more important than a regulation loss. It just goes to show that no matter what rules are put in place, and no matter how fair they are, someone on the loosing end will always complain.

BTW they do the 1 point for an OT loss in hockey and it sucks.

No one is denying it's better than a tie. Just should be taken into consideration when voting in polls.

I equate it to basketball having a similiar like OT. Both teams getting the ball at half court for one possession each. No pressing, no full court defense, no fast break etc. Princeton basketball would probably vote for that. :D

I would prefer to see an extra quarter of football and if the game ends in a tie after that quarter than the game ends in a tie unless it's the BCS NC game. Then they would have to play another quarter till we get a winner.

You keep bringing up other sports that lend themselves better to just continuing normal play for more time. In hoops, there's plenty of time for several possessions each in 5 minutes and there's a very good chance that they won't have the same score after one OT. Football simply isn't the same way. If you don't want games to last 5 + hours and you want to make sure there's a winner, you can't just keep playing 15 minute quarters with the same rules. We're obviously going to have to agree to disagree here. However, I understand your point that college OT discounts certain elements of the game.

All that said, it does not overvalue some random skill set. Basically, if your team is not suited to succeed in OT, that means you can't punch it in or keep the other team out of the endzone. Any team not good at those things is ultimately not a really good team. It doesn't reward a team that happens to be good at some random aspect of the game. It rewards teams that are good at two of the most important aspects of the game. A coach can prepare his team to succeed in OT by continuing to work on two extremely important facets of game prep: Red Zone O and Red Zone D. What's so bad about that?

Rocker, either address the above statement or just move on. I don't need to here how it would be the same as settling a tied bowling match by who can pick up the most 7-10 splits. Or how tennis matches should be decided by who can serve the fastest. Your analogies are random and weak.

Rocker, either address the above statement or just move on. I don't need to here how it would be the same as settling a tied bowling match by who can pick up the most 7-10 splits. Or how tennis matches should be decided by who can serve the fastest. Your analogies are random and weak.

Look like you said we can agree to disagree. I'll just give you a couple of coaches thoughts on the matter.

Alabama Coach Nick Saban said college football's current overtime systen isn't real football, It isn't. There is no clock, and putting a team on the 25 is a situational scrimmage.

Oklahoma Coach Stoops said teams should have to earn their way into field goal position.

I guess we'll take him. He hasn't done much at LSU especially with Sabans' players but I guess we'll take College Football's scraps.

I mean Tressell had mad resume' before coming to Columbus. Those YSU D2 NC's were impressive to say the least. I remember that McNeese St. victory was amazing. I just hope Miles can run as clean a program as the Sweater Vest.

Oh and I can't wait for Saban to go back to LSU and then leave again in 2 years.

:D

Seriously though, if he is hired I'll have no problem with it. It'll be nice to talk about his controversial decision making on Monday as opposed to Carr's conservatism, yes conservatism.

I watched the replay to the 1997 UM / OSU game a few weeks back; I could not believe how conservative he was in that game. Of course with that defense maybe it made sense.

Nothing signed yet, let's wait until next week.

I'm not going to be a UM slappy and predict NCs or multiple Big 10 titles but it will be a nice change from Carr and the previous regimes, again not that they were bad entirely but a change will be welcomed. Those 80 year old alums may have a few heart attacks but us younger fans can handle the aggresiveness.