[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ARod opts out

whomper

i beg to differ...i think boston is perfect for him...of course i want to keep lowell and have a-rod at SS...mannys contract is up at the end of 08...and although i think manny wants to reup and end his career in boston...you just never know...and you must be able to provide protection for big pop

and the loose atmosphere of that team and clubhouse will help him thrive...i dont think you can underestimate the difference in clubhouses between ny and boston

although i think its highly unlikely..i know the red sox will at least explore it

Completely agree. I would have zero problem with Theo bringing him in to play SS. Lowell has to be priority #1 though.

my concern with Lowell is that he may return to his '05 production..

he's out of his contract year, is 34/35?, and probably wants a 4 yr deal to end his career.

imo, A Rod is a piece of clay mentally and could be molded into a good fit with the Sox...

if his price drops to a mere 20-25 mil per, i think the Sox will make a push for him. hey, they did it before.

but a question....with A Rod opting out of his contract, does that mean that the team he signs with

will be 100% responsible for his salary?...no more $ from Texas?

my concern with Lowell is that he may return to his '05 production..

he's out of his contract year, is 34/35?, and probably wants a 4 yr deal to end his career.

imo, A Rod is a piece of clay mentally and could be molded into a good fit with the Sox...

if his price drops to a mere 20-25 mil per, i think the Sox will make a push for him. hey, they did it before.

but a question....with A Rod opting out of his contract, does that mean that the team he signs with

will be 100% responsible for his salary?...no more $ from Texas?

yes that is the deal....no more help from texas

im not at all concerned about lowell...while his production should/could dip slightly...it certainly wont be because he just got paid and isnt in a contract year

yes that is the deal....no more help from texas

im not at all concerned about lowell...while his production should/could dip slightly...it certainly wont be because he just got paid and isnt in a contract year

thanks for the info...

and i agree about Lowell, if he dips it certainly would not be because of a character issue

or him slacking off, he's not that kind of player...

it would be age or injury due to age imo...

Lowell can be had much more cheaply than A-Rod and the Sox should go that route. Still a mystery to me why A-Rod's agent is bandying $35m around - no-one will pay that.

I'm not so sure. They paid him a crazy amount of money the last contract. Some dumb owner will pay it. The question is who.

I'm not so sure. They paid him a crazy amount of money the last contract. Some dumb owner will pay it. The question is who.

No link but I read last week that MLB is quietly leaning on owners to not pay A-Rod that kind of cash. His agent and the union were complaining about collusion.

Nov. 15 (Bloomberg) -- Alex Rodriguez and the New York Yankees agreed to the outline of a 10-year, $275 million contract that could pay him millions more if he sets the career home run record, the Associated Press reported.

The guaranteed money in the contract was confirmed by a person familiar with negotiations who spoke anonymously because the deal hadn't been completed, AP said.

Earlier, the New York Times reported that Rodriguez, who has 518 career home runs, would take part in a marketing plan surrounding him reaching milestones on his way to breaking Barry Bonds's record, which now stands at 762.

The 32-year-old Rodriguez, a two-time American League Most Valuable Player, led Major League Baseball with 54 home runs and 156 runs batted in this season.

I think although the money is still hugh they both look very bad..ARod got no bites on the big cash (35 per) Boras was yappin about and the Yankees claimed if he opted out there decision to not negotiate with him was iron clad :D

I think although the money is still hugh they both look very bad..ARod got no bites on the big cash (35 per) Boras was yappin about and the Yankees claimed if he opted out there decision to not negotiate with him was iron clad :D

The logic behind that statement was that they would lose the $21 million from Texas and they said they would not get involved in a bidding war for him. Well, the only bid came from the Yankees and A-Rod agreed to take that $21 million out of his new deal. That and the fact A-Rod was the one who opened the discussions without Boras had a lot to do with it.