[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

who should I pick up to solidify my team?

Guest super015

Guest super015

I play in a 12-team Yahoo! league. 8 batting categories (R,H,1B,2B,3B,HR,RBI,SB)and 6 pitching (IP,W,SV,SHO,CG,K) in head-to-head weekly matchups. We start a normal MLB team IF and OF with 2 SPs and 1 RP.

My roster:

C LoDuca

1B Bagwell

2B Bell

SS Tejada, Garciaparra

3B Nevin

OF Drew, Sexson, CarlosLee, Stewart, Cedeno

SP Unit, Abbott (SEA), MMorris

RP Shaw, Karsay

I just dropped Petrick for Cedeno and Oswalt for Abbott. Don't laugh. I'm playing the #1 team next week and Abbott is having a great season, just look. I have an excess of OFs, but Drew is on DL. I really need a better 2B b/c Bell is killing me, but the only viable one seems to be Menechino.

Other guys I'm interested in picking up:

Oswalt, Buerhle, Milton

my questions are:

1) rate my team (I'm in 4th place, 3.5 games out of 1st)

2) was dropping Petrick a good idea?

3) can I afford to drop Karsay?

4) who can I pick up at 2B?

Thanks!

My roster:

C LoDuca

1B Bagwell

2B Bell

SS Tejada, Garciaparra

3B Nevin

OF Drew, Sexson, CarlosLee, Stewart, Cedeno

SP Unit, Abbott (SEA), MMorris

RP Shaw, Karsay

my questions are:

1) rate my team (I'm in 4th place, 3.5 games out of 1st)

Your team is in decent shape with a couple of places that could use upgrades. No positions are outright bad. Your biggest issues seem to be that you are holding 2 precious roster spots for DL players (I can understand why, though) and at 2B. Bell is OK, but nothing to write home about. Also, your OF is good, but is full of 2nd tier guys. This is fine, but if you could grab an OF stud somehow, that would help a lot.

2) was dropping Petrick a good idea?

Definitely - LoDuca has been producing numbers that surpass even Piazza and Pudge. He's your catcher until further notice.

3) can I afford to drop Karsay?

IMO, yes - drop him (or trade him). He is just not cutting it so far in Atlanta. Shaw is your weekly play for RP.

4) who can I pick up at 2B?

Not sure what your WW looks like, but here's a few thoughts:

* Did anyone dump Vidro when he was hurt and forget to pick him back up?

* Did anyone sour on Todd Walker? His move to Cincy may provide a temporary spark.

* How about McLemore? Plays almost every day, is eligible at multi-positions and gives SBs...

* Sleeper - Damian Jackson - was pretty hot before going down to injury around Memorial Day and his been mediocre since returning a few weeks ago, but is still getting a hit almost every day. If he gets it together again...

* If all else fails, Menechino is still a very slight upgrade at 2B.

If this is not a keeper league, I would seriously consider trading Nomar in a package with any or all of Karsay, Bell and one OF and try to get yourself a stud OF and a 2B upgrade. You'll be fine at SS with Tejada. IMO, get one stud OF and a solid 2B upgrade and you are moving up the rankings.

Guest super015

thanks for the great advice bicep. unfortunately, the people in this league don't do many transactions and all those guys are taken (never dropped). I've been trying to package Nomar and Carlos Lee for an OF for awhile, but people are wusses. They want to see production out of him first. I do plan on trading Nomar, but it looks like I'll have to wait until he gets back in the lineup.

So for now, it looks like my only 2B relief is Menechino, but who would I drop? What about picking up SP like Oswaly, Buerhle or Milton?

Uck, I hate stagnant leagues where no activity happens - boring. Actually, Bell had a decent day for you yesterday, though.

You are kind of in a rock in a hard place. Virtually anyone you drop is likely to get scooped up quickly. The only player I see on your squad that is an outright drop right now is Karsay and even he has potential if he fixes his mechanics. Your best shot at improvement is via the trade route. Keep trying to sell Nomar, Karsay, Bell and an OF in combos to try and shore up 2B and OF.

I wouldn't sweat your SP situtation too much. You can easily afford to stick with Morris, Abbott and Unit until you they give you a reason to look elsewhere. With the quality of the guys you mentioned on the WW, if you need help down the road, it looks like it will be available.

Good luck!