[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Illinois vs. Ohio State

Rockerbraves

FACT SEC went 1-3 vs Big Ten all of last year, 2 of them bowl losses. So the SEC theory doesn't hold up. If it did, then certainly they would have fared better in the last 10 years vs Big Ten. I'm certain the SEC probably has DOMINATED in the last 10 years. Right? I mean my gosh, it's the SEC.

So what's your point? Big 10 was just as competitive on a national level as the SEC last season? If so you might want to go back a check your post here after last year's bowl games. :D

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was in response to a very stupid post about playing games on the field. They did play them on the field. Notice, I've never EVER once said that I think the Big Ten is better, or was better, or has always been better. I'm merely pointing out how dumb some of you look when you say things like he did. The Big Ten is 13-12 since the BCS started. That's a fact. In no way shape or form does it mean they are a better conference, but if the measurement between those 2 conferences is "on the field" then guess what, advantage big ten, SLIGHTLY. I would argue it has been extremely evenly matched, quite obviously, and would actually give a slight edge to the SEC simply for putting more athletes into the National Football League. That idiot was making it seem like its comparing the Patriots to some high school team, and the facts just simply don't back that up.

Don't know if you have noticed since I started posting but I'm actually a little bit of a Big 10 fan myself having been raised by two Ohio State grads. . Heck my son's favorite team is Purdue, but this year the Big 10 looks really down. It's imperative that the Big 10 have some success this bowl season or it will almost certainly hurt all the teams next season in the rankings.

Don't know if you have noticed since I started posting but I'm actually a little bit of a Big 10 fan myself having been raised by two Ohio State grads. . Heck my son's favorite team is Purdue, but this year the Big 10 looks really down. It's imperative that the Big 10 have some success this bowl season or it will almost certainly hurt all the teams next season in the rankings.

Couldn't agree more. Actually the loss by ohio state, puts the big ten in a no lose situation IMO. Everyone says they are down, so if they fall on their face, it'll be what everyone expects, and if they do well, then a lot of people will eat crow. In much the same way the Big Ten fans did last year after OSU and Mich each laid an egg. I'm actually excited for my Hawkeyes to be where they were at, because after the Penn State loss, I was really starting to wonder, but despite a slew of injuries, and literally having no real playmaker on offense, Iowa has won there last 3 and 4 of the last 5, including a win over that very Illinois team that beat the Buckeyes yesterday. If Iowa wins there last game vs Western Michigan, they will be guaranteed a winning season, something they didn't accomplish last year. I mean Iowa was down to their 5th string receiver as there #1 after the Wisconsin game.

Might have mentioned this before, but the problem I see with Iowa football program's future will be recruiting if teams like Illinios start winning consistently. Don't take this the wrong way, but just think Iowa will find it alot more difficult getting some of those athletes from the bigger cities to come to their school. Personally I think that's part of the reason why Nebraska isn't doing as well as they use.

I'm still trying to figure out how Illinois beating Ohio State somehow makes the Big Ten a weak conference.

Haven't seen much response to this. Obviously it makes the Big Ten appear to be a deeper, more balanced conference. With less power at the very top, which is what most people expected all year long.

Illinois has 3 losses on the year, Michigan, Iowa, and Missouri. Missouri is ranked pretty high and Michigan and Iowa are both Big Ten teams. So the Big Ten #3 team can't beat the #5 team in the BCS.

Congratulations to the Illinois fans on a great win.

Doubtful when Iowa wins with the 2 and 3 star athletes. Guys like Chad Greenway and Bob Sanders go un heralded and end up at Iowa. Dallas Clark was a freakin' walk on. Ferentz is one of the better coaches at getting more with less.

Like you said in your previous post injuries have killed Iowa this year. To be a NC contender you need to have depth to overcome injuries that are almost guaranteed to happen to every team. Believe me LSU like every team has had to fight through injuries all season. The difference is LSU has some excellent reserves that could start for most other teams.

I haven't had time to post this last weekend and I didnt read all of the pages of this post, lot of personal stuff going on right now. But congrats to the Illini on a great win. Tressel was out coached, something I believe I have only seen 3 times, Juice has not, and will not, play as well as he did Saturday, and the Illini defense kept OSU off the field. Which really wore out the OSU defense. I think the game takes on a different light if OSU goes up 14-0 on the fumble, but you cant take away the fact that by the end of the game OSU was physically defeated.

Like you said in your previous post injuries have killed Iowa this year. To be a NC contender you need to have depth to overcome injuries that are almost guaranteed to happen to every team. Believe me LSU like every team has had to fight through injuries all season. The difference is LSU has some excellent reserves that could start for most other teams.

Very true, then again, Ferentz won the Big Ten Title in 2004 when he was down to his 4th string running back. The difference is, this year the expectations weren't that high to begin with. Replaced a 3 year starting QB with a guy with very little experience. You can say you did too, but Flynn has been in the system for years now. Christensen has been in the system for a year. Huge difference. Combine that when you take out the top 4 receivers, you're left with, freshmen. The defense has been good all year long with the exception of the Indiana and Purdue games. And they completely shut down Illinois and all of that SEC-like speed as you call it. The offense is horrible, but I look for it to improve. Everyone is young, those inexperienced receivers, have a lot of time under there belt, and it shows as they have improved throughout the year. The jury is still out on Jake, but it reminds me a lot of Matt Rogers from the 1989 team. As a sophomore he was terrible, as a junior he led Iowa to the Rose Bowl. I look for Jake to have a much better 2008 campaign. The o line will all be back, and again, Ferentz has a history of getting his offensive lines to make enormous jumps from year to year. It was a rebuilding year in 2007 after 2 highly disappointing years in 05 and 06. You're right, Iowa doesn't have the talent to just reload like Michigan or Ohio State, but when they are good, they are very tough, and it wasn't too long ago Iowa had their 3 year run of top 10 finishes. I believe in Kirk Ferentz.

Very true, then again, Ferentz won the Big Ten Title in 2004 when he was down to his 4th string running back. The difference is, this year the expectations weren't that high to begin with. Replaced a 3 year starting QB with a guy with very little experience. You can say you did too, but Flynn has been in the system for years now. Christensen has been in the system for a year. Huge difference. Combine that when you take out the top 4 receivers, you're left with, freshmen. The defense has been good all year long with the exception of the Indiana and Purdue games. And they completely shut down Illinois and all of that SEC-like speed as you call it. The offense is horrible, but I look for it to improve. Everyone is young, those inexperienced receivers, have a lot of time under there belt, and it shows as they have improved throughout the year. The jury is still out on Jake, but it reminds me a lot of Matt Rogers from the 1989 team. As a sophomore he was terrible, as a junior he led Iowa to the Rose Bowl. I look for Jake to have a much better 2008 campaign. The o line will all be back, and again, Ferentz has a history of getting his offensive lines to make enormous jumps from year to year. It was a rebuilding year in 2007 after 2 highly disappointing years in 05 and 06. You're right, Iowa doesn't have the talent to just reload like Michigan or Ohio State, but when they are good, they are very tough, and it wasn't too long ago Iowa had their 3 year run of top 10 finishes. I believe in Kirk Ferentz.

It doesnt hurt when you dont play either Ohio State or Michigan.