[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Classy

keggerz

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it's just a moranic argument altogether. Seriously....is 52-10 really less of a beating? That 4 points makes it more "Classy", taking the gimmie 3 versus giving the D a chance to stop the other team from scoring? It doesn't even make a little bit of difference, because the opposing team is just going to be embarrassed in any event. This discussion is just getting tiresome.

you know what is funny is that all my title says is CLASSY and then a :D graemlin....funny how this thread manifested into what it has become...just sayin' :D

Actually, it's just a moranic argument altogether. Seriously....is 52-10 really less of a beating? That 4 points makes it more "Classy", taking the gimmie 3 versus giving the D a chance to stop the other team from scoring? It doesn't even make a little bit of difference, because the opposing team is just going to be embarrassed in any event. This discussion is just getting tiresome.

I also agree with this. Unless the NFL adopts a mercy rule where the game can be mutually called before time expires I see no other option then to continue to play.

Edited by SuperCharger

Yeah, they sure run a lot of time off of the clock by constantly passing the ball. :D

I know that you have more sense than this comment.

When do you want them to stop playing the game, Bill?

New England Patriots at 06:02 of the 3rd quarter

9-R.Lindell kicks 62 yards from BUF 30 to NE 8. 27-E.Hobbs pushed ob at NE 25 for 17 yards (93-A.Hargrove).

1-10-NE 25 (5:55) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 81-R.Moss to NE 38 for 13 yards.

1-10-NE 38 (5:15) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass to 18-D.Stallworth to NE 43 for 5 yards (37-G.Wilson).

2-5-NE 43 (4:32) 38-K.Eckel left guard to BUF 43 for 14 yards (37-G.Wilson).

Timeout #1 by NE at 03:42.

1-10-BUF 43 (3:42) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 83-W.Welker pushed ob at BUF 19 for 24 yards (20-D.Whitner). Screen pass, caught at BUF 42.

1-10-BUF 19 (3:10) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady scrambles left tackle to BUF 15 for 4 yards.

2-6-BUF 15 (2:29) 38-K.Eckel left tackle to BUF 12 for 3 yards (93-A.Hargrove).

3-3-BUF 12 (1:49) 38-K.Eckel right guard to BUF 10 for 2 yards (94-A.Schobel, 56-K.Ellison).

4-1-BUF 10 (1:09) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 81-R.Moss to BUF 7 for 3 yards (24-T.McGee). Screen pass, caught at BUF 9.

1-7-BUF 7 (:28) 38-K.Eckel up the middle to BUF 1 for 6 yards (94-A.Schobel).

End of quarter - 10:43 pm

END QUARTER 3

NE 49 BUF 10 Plays: 10 Possession: 6:07

4th Quarter collapse [-]

New England Patriots continues ...

2-1-BUF 1 (15:00) 38-K.Eckel up the middle for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

0-0-BUF 2 3-S.Gostkowski extra point is GOOD, Center-66-L.Paxton, Holder-6-C.Hanson.

4 passes, all short, to 6 runs. This discussion is wetodded.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Knocking Brady's head off legally should be the goal from the first snap of the game. If they can't do it all game what makes you think they can in the 4th quarter when they've been trashed for 40+ points?

Im surprised you had to ask.

They have nothing to lose by sending 11 or risking a late hit when the game is out of hand.

When youve been trashed for 40 you may push it and see if the ref will call it,you have nothing to lose.

Edited by xtra

So now you are questioning the Patriots offensive effectiveness?

No, you moran, I'm saying that you don't throw the ball downfield to run time off of the clock. They're not trying to run down the clock when Brady throws the ball into the endzone on 4th and 1. Do you understand now? :D

As for the ire of the opposing team, nobody should be surprised with how the Patriots play, it gets so much media attention. Going into a game against the Patriots you know exactly how they are going to play and if they get up big you can expect them to keep coming until the clock runs out. If you can't stop them I guess a lesser man would feel the need to be classless and take cheap shots.

Despite how you, I, or anybody else feels about this, the fact remains that eventually some "classless" person is going to take a cheap shot on one of their players. We all saw Albert Haynesworth do it last year.

Despite how you, I, or anybody else feels about this, the fact remains that eventually some "classless" person is going to take a cheap shot on one of their players. We all saw Albert Haynesworth do it last year.

This is the one thing that I definitely think is a possible problem. Human nature coming into play. Someone will get upset and take a shot at some point. And if they succeed, it will be a tragedy.

I am sure they know that on the NE sidelines, though. They just don't seem to care.

This is the one thing that I definitely think is a possible problem. Human nature coming into play. Someone will get upset and take a shot at some point. And if they succeed, it will be a tragedy.

I am sure they know that on the NE sidelines, though. They just don't seem to care.

And the worst part about it would be that the player who takes the hit isn't responsible for the play-calling.

The Pats can score a TD on every possession, and I wouldn't see it as classless. I agree that this is the NFL, and you should give your all for 60 minutes. However, leaving in your key offensive weapons when the game is out of reach (4th quarter up 5 scores should suffice) is just plain STUPID. Guys get hurt all the time in the NFL via legal hits and tackles. Risking Brady or Moss in these situations will make Belichick look like a fool if either or both end up missing any playoff games as a result. Also, from what I could tell, Matt Cassel could use the game experience.

I won't speculate as to why Belichick is leaving these guys in the game at the end. I'm sure he has his reasons. I just doubt that they justify the risk.

You only throw the ball into the endzone on 4th down when you NEED the points. What part of that don't you understand? :D

You're a blind hater. Maybe the Patriots shouldn't even come back out to the field after halftime, would that make you happy? The Patriots are guilty of playing football and you can't stand it.

The Pats can score a TD on every possession, and I wouldn't see it as classless. I agree that this is the NFL, and you should give your all for 60 minutes. However, leaving in your key offensive weapons when the game is out of reach (4th quarter up 5 scores should suffice) is just plain STUPID. Guys get hurt all the time in the NFL via legal hits and tackles. Risking Brady or Moss in these situations will make Belichick look like a fool if either or both end up missing any playoff games as a result. Also, from what I could tell, Matt Cassel could use the game experience.

I won't speculate as to why Belichick is leaving these guys in the game at the end. I'm sure he has his reasons. I just doubt that they justify the risk.

So lemme ask you the same question I put to Bill...

When should they stop playing the game? Is playing 3 quarters of football too much? How many quarters should the Pats play like they mean it?

Brady and Moss sat the entire 4th quarter. What more do you want?

When should they stop playing the game? Is playing 3 quarters of football too much? How many quarters should the Pats play like they mean it?

I didn't watch this specific game, so I didn't know they sat the entire 4th quarter until reading the above sentence. I'm just saying in general that those guys can be pulled earlier than they have been in previous games. But, to answer your question, I would say that if, at any time in the second half, you are up 5 scores (33 points or more), you should pull your most important starting players on offense and defense. Plugging them back in if it becomes a 3 score game with more than 6:00 left (or so) would then make sense. Of course, I'm no an NFL head coach and, thus, have no perspective as to any other valid reasons there would be for leaving all of my starting players in. I'm just giving some rough numbers for how I'd handle the situation.

simple, kick the FG when it's 4 down instead of throwing a TD...

:D

EDIT: Oh, wait...I get it. You are criticizing their score on the first drive of the second half. I honestly didn't look back that early in the game for this. That score happened with approximately 9 minutes left in the third quarter.

Seriously, if that concerns you so much, why not just let the other team throw in the towel at the half? Why play the games at all?

Edited by Caveman_Nick

You're a blind hater. Maybe the Patriots shouldn't even come back out to the field after halftime, would that make you happy? The Patriots are guilty of playing football and you can't stand it.

No, I'm a realist who can see that some people around the league (like Randall Godfrey) are getting extremely pissed off about this. I also remember what Albert Haynesworth did to Andre Gurode and what Charles Martin did to Jim McMahon. I also realize that the boos that rained down on the Patriots sideline last night may eventually turn into bottles and batteries. (BTW, the Patriots have been pwning my Colts for several years now, so this year is no different from many of the previous ones.)

BTW, that's an incredibly intelligent response to my last post. Keep up the good work. :D

No, I'm a realist who can see that some people around the league (like Randall Godfrey) are getting extremely pissed off about this. I also remember what Albert Haynesworth did to Andre Gurode and what Charles Martin did to Jim McMahon. I also realize that the boos that rained down on the Patriots sideline last night may eventually turn into bottles and batteries. (BTW, the Patriots have been pwning my Colts for several years now, so this year is no different from many of the previous ones.)

BTW, that's an incredibly intelligent response to my last post. Keep up the good work. :D

In all those cases the fault lies with the person who can't take losing like a man. The only thing the Patriots are guilty of is playing dominating football. Brady and Moss sat the entire 4th quarter, maybe they should have just sat this game out. :D

Frankly, I'd rather have Brady and Moss out there in the 4th quarter than the Pats go for it on 4th down in a 40-point blowout. That's nothing short of bush-league Steve Spurrier football. I have no problem with them throwing the ball downfield with their starters in the 4th, but it would be nice if they'd show some respect to their opponents and choose the chip-shot FG, rather than running up the score with yet another TD.

After this reply,Swerski knows hes got you beat.

In all those cases the fault lies with the person who can't take losing like a man.

You know, there's a reason that they have the "slaugher rule" in little league. It's to teach children to respect their opponents, and the lesson is not supposed to be cast out the window when they become adults.