[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Classy

keggerz

Frankly, I'd rather have Brady and Moss out there in the 4th quarter than the Pats go for it on 4th down in a 40-point blowout. That's nothing short of bush-league Steve Spurrier football. I have no problem with them throwing the ball downfield with their starters in the 4th, but it would be nice if they'd show some respect to their opponents and choose the chip-shot FG, rather than running up the score with yet another TD.

Laundry aside (and I know that I won't be allowed to have my opinion viewed that way, but whatever), I just don't share this viewpoint that it somehow shows respect to "take it easy" on the other team.

Growing up I used to play a lot of 8-ball with my dad. He had me outclassed by a ton because I was 12 and he had been playing his whole life. I always knew when he missed a shot on purpose. I also always knew that he had me outclassed. And it always infuriated me when he didn't play his best, because eventually I started to beat him legitimately and I knew it was just a matter of time until that happened. I felt like I wasn't being given his competitive respect when he didn't play his best.

At times he didn't take an easy shot, but went for a more difficult shot. He always tried to make these shots, and there was always a decent logical reason for not taking the easy shot. This never bothered me, so long as he was trying to hit his mark.

This is the way I look at the football games. It would bother me if a team, any team, wasn't giving it's best effort for the whole game. But that's just my POV.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, there's a reason that they have the "slaugher rule" in little league. It's to teach children to respect their opponents, and the lesson is not supposed to be cast out the window when they become adults.

I still don't see where the Patriots have disrespected their opponent. You think going for it on those 4th downs is disrespectful and I disagree. I don't think either of us is going to change our mind.

You know, there's a reason that they have the "slaugher rule" in little league. It's to teach children to respect their opponents, and the lesson is not supposed to be cast out the window when they become adults.

This ain't little league Bill. This is grown men playing a grown sport. If they can't take getting their asses handed to them they should play better. It's that simple really. I think what they're doing is stoopid from the injury risk perspective, but aside from that, they are intimidating the other teams and sending a pretty strong statement, and doing it in a perfectly legal way. They don't need to huddle around a campfire and sing kumbaya with their opponents, they need to go out there and kick the snot out of them. JSMHO. And I hate the Pats.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

I still don't see where the Patriots have disrespected their opponent. You think going for it on those 4th downs is disrespectful and I disagree. I don't think either of us is going to change our mind.

That's fine, but what you and I think isn't what's important. What opposing defenses think of the Patriots is.

I got no problem with the Pats. They will get theirs, what goes around comes around. But the fair weather bandwagon fans, that were no where to be found prior to this run, they will get off scott free. Seriously, how many fans were pounding their chest before Bledsoe got hurt, and this coach was on the hotseat in NE. I can think of 1, msaint.

Bottom line, the Pats are making it look easy, and until someone stops them, there will be posts like this every week. NE certainly didnt run up the score on Dallas or Indy. Because they couldnt. Sure Dallas folded in the 4th quarter, but there were no posts about this after that game. Nor should there have been.

Laundry aside (and I know that I won't be allowed to have my opinion viewed that way, but whatever), I just don't share this viewpoint that it somehow shows respect to "take it easy" on the other team.

Growing up I used to play a lot of 8-ball with my dad. He had me outclassed by a ton because I was 12 and he had been playing his whole life. I always knew when he missed a shot on purpose. I also always knew that he had me outclassed. And it always infuriated me when he didn't play his best, because eventually I started to beat him legitimately and I knew it was just a matter of time until that happened. I felt like I wasn't being given his competitive respect when he didn't play his best.

At times he didn't take an easy shot, but went for a more difficult shot. He always tried to make these shots, and there was always a decent logical reason for not taking the easy shot. This never bothered me, so long as he was trying to hit his mark.

This is the way I look at the football games. It would bother me if a team, any team, wasn't giving it's best effort for the whole game. But that's just my POV.

Yeah, and it's a pretty convenient POV when your team is the one running up the score. :D

What happens when a team is up by 12 runs in the 8th inning and the coach sends the runner on first to steal second? That's right, a batter gets beaned the next half inning. There's a code of conduct in professional sports.

Name one other coach that would've gone for it in those 4th down situations last night.

Wrong, but thanks for playing...

:D

Just because one Redskin is a sore loser doesn't make all the rest of them sore losers.

It was the first question reporters asked Joe Gibbs after Sunday's 52-7 loss to the New England Patriots.

"Coach, did you feel like the Patriots were running up the score in the fourth quarter?"

Gibbs quickly put an end to any potential public controversy with Patriots head coach Bill Belichick.

"No," he said. "I have no problem with anything they did. Nothing. No problems from me."

Reactions Mixed on Patriots' Play Calling

More:

Back across Gillette Stadium, several other Redskins players said they took no offense at the Patriots' approach.

"It's our job to keep them off the board," Pierson Prioleau said. "This is football. It's a competitive sport. They are a good team. We just have to do what we need to do to keep them out of the end zone.

Ladell Betts: "I think they were playing football. How [else] would you want to call it? We're on the other end and we didn't stop them. So I don't think it's running it up. It's playing football."

James Thrash: "Just from watching the Patriots on film during the last few weeks, New England has always played from the first quarter through the fourth quarter. That's just their mentality. I don't think it's them trying to rub it in."

Jason Campbell said that when the Redskins have a big lead, the team's approach is to back off.

"That's just what we do," he said. "Their motto might be different. They might have a different approach in the way they do it."

Campbell added: "They were going for it on fourth downs, but that's an NFL team and we have to stop it. We're all here in the NFL and we're all here to make plays."

100 years from now, no one will know or care about discussions of running up the score. But my guess is they will still talk about records, and players will still be judged on their numbers. With that in mind, I can't fault the Pats for trying to rack up as many points as possible, and especially for Brady to go for the maximum number of TDs.

Who wouldn't want to be remembered as the best ever?

I don't take online forums that seriously. If I did I'd look up stats and stuff to support my opinions, instead I just talk out my ass because it's more fun and it seems to pass the time. :D

Its still a debate.

...and i do it the same way as you and for the same reasons. :D

Just because one Redskin is a sore loser doesn't make all the rest of them sore losers.

It was the first question reporters asked Joe Gibbs after Sunday's 52-7 loss to the New England Patriots.

"Coach, did you feel like the Patriots were running up the score in the fourth quarter?"

Gibbs quickly put an end to any potential public controversy with Patriots head coach Bill Belichick.

"No," he said. "I have no problem with anything they did. Nothing. No problems from me."

Reactions Mixed on Patriots' Play Calling

More:

Back across Gillette Stadium, several other Redskins players said they took no offense at the Patriots' approach.

"It's our job to keep them off the board," Pierson Prioleau said. "This is football. It's a competitive sport. They are a good team. We just have to do what we need to do to keep them out of the end zone.

Ladell Betts: "I think they were playing football. How [else] would you want to call it? We're on the other end and we didn't stop them. So I don't think it's running it up. It's playing football."

James Thrash: "Just from watching the Patriots on film during the last few weeks, New England has always played from the first quarter through the fourth quarter. That's just their mentality. I don't think it's them trying to rub it in."

Jason Campbell said that when the Redskins have a big lead, the team's approach is to back off.

"That's just what we do," he said. "Their motto might be different. They might have a different approach in the way they do it."

Campbell added: "They were going for it on fourth downs, but that's an NFL team and we have to stop it. We're all here in the NFL and we're all here to make plays."

So you think that the official word that Gibbs and some of his players gave to the press reflects the feeling on the sideline and in the locker room? I wouldn't be so sure. Especially not after the way that the Colts defenders were simulating the snap count during the kneel-down at the end of their game. I get the feeling that there's A LOT of animosity towards these guys around the league.

So you think that the official word that Gibbs and some of his players gave to the press reflects the feeling on the sideline and in the locker room? I wouldn't be so sure. Especially not after the way that the Colts defenders were simulating the snap count during the kneel-down at the end of their game. I get the feeling that there's A LOT of animosity towards these guys around the league.

I'm sure there are alot of sore losers around the league but the vast majority are professional and respect and admire the Patriots.

I got no problem with the Pats. They will get theirs, what goes around comes around. But the fair weather bandwagon fans, that were no where to be found prior to this run, they will get off scott free. Seriously, how many fans were pounding their chest before Bledsoe got hurt, and this coach was on the hotseat in NE. I can think of 1, msaint.

Bottom line, the Pats are making it look easy, and until someone stops them, there will be posts like this every week. NE certainly didnt run up the score on Dallas or Indy. Because they couldnt. Sure Dallas folded in the 4th quarter, but there were no posts about this after that game. Nor should there have been.

Hugh Douglas is a saint in New England.

so if you were actually attending last night's game, you and your family or friends probably dropped $250 + on tickets and parking. Probably another $40 - $50 on food and beers and whatever. Would you be psyched if the PATS turned it into a preseason game and started playing Cassel and Eckel in the 3rd quarter?

Not that I am condoning what they did, I'd rather they kick the field goals; but what are teams doing to stop them? Has anyone watched enough of the games to figure out what other teams are doing? Are they playing dime packages all game? I figure if you want to keep the game close you make them beat you with the running game. Even still Maroney averages like 4.5 a carry.

I'll be interested to see what Pitt & Baltimore do to try and stop the offense. If I were Polamalu and Ed Reed, I'd be watching Bob Sanders tapes, that guy destroys the PATS. His last two games against them have been terrific.

so if you were actually attending last night's game, you and your family or friends probably dropped $250 + on tickets and parking. Probably another $40 - $50 on food and beers and whatever. Would you be psyched if the PATS turned it into a preseason game and started playing Cassel and Eckel in the 3rd quarter?

I think by the 3rd quarter 90% of the fans had left, so your point has no merit. :D

"Sure Dallas folded in the 4th quarter, but there were no posts about this after that game. Nor should there have been. "

Short term memory. There were MANY posts about the Cowboys game how they scored their last touchdown on 4th down. According to some geniuses here, the Pats should have taken a knee on the play (I have NEVER seen a team take a knee on 4th down, and the Colts fans that claimed Peyton did it were incorrect, at least to the play they claimed, it wasn't 4th down and it ran out the clock) notwithstanding that the Cowboys called a timeout that prevented them from running out the clock.

There was Patriots Derangement Syndrome then just as there is Patriots Derangement Syndrome now.