[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Classy

keggerz

Wah, wah. :D

The Patriots scored too many points again. :D

The Patriots disrespect the game. :wacko:

I've been watching these games. I can't believe how furious the other teams are getting at the Patriots. One game, somebody brushed Brady's arm. The Bills made him move around in the pocket a couple times, which almost caused Brady to lose his concentration. The unbridled savagery of it all.

Rushing ten guys is just going to prove that you can't take your ass whoopin like a man. The pros in the NFL take it. Maybe it will trickle down to FF message boards and the hand wringing and teeth gnashing will stop.

Nah.

Lets take it from an expert on watching a team getting their asses kicked

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This ain't little league Bill. This is grown men playing a grown sport. If they can't take getting their asses handed to them they should play better. It's that simple really. I think what they're doing is stoopid from the injury risk perspective, but aside from that, they are intimidating the other teams and sending a pretty strong statement, and doing it in a perfectly legal way. They don't need to huddle around a campfire and sing kumbaya with their opponents, they need to go out there and kick the snot out of them. JSMHO. And I hate the Pats.

Hugh...there are lots of things in this life that are perfectly legal....but at the same time are morally questionable or plain wrong. Now, I will grant you that what they are doing is perfectly within the framework of the rules. But in the spirit of competitiveness, when you know you have reached the point in an MMA competition where your opponent is about to submit....do you squeeze harder making him pass out...possibly die...or do just enough to accomplish your goal...while also being mindful of what is best for your opponent as well. I just don't think it was necessary for the Pats to go for it on forth down...but they did.

Another thing, why are we taught life lessons as a kid if they are not life lessons. Maybe they should be called "for the time being" lessons. The slaughter rule was put in so kids wouldn't be embarrassed and ridiculed by virtue of getting smashed. This rule was meant to teach a life lesson....not a for the time being lesson. On the other hand, I agree they are men and quit whining...but there is a line between the two. I think on the other side of that line is anger.

Another example, boxers get into the ring and know they could get hurt...but refs stop fights all the time...even at the objection of the fighter the ref thinks he is protecting. These things may be a little apples and oranges, but I think they have similiar qualities and an analogy can be sought. Anyway, my two cents.

Hugh...there are lots of things in this life that are perfectly legal....but at the same time are morally questionable or plain wrong. Now, I will grant you that what they are doing is perfectly within the framework of the rules. But in the spirit of competitiveness, when you know you have reached the point in an MMA competition where your opponent is about to submit....do you squeeze harder making him pass out...possibly die...or do just enough to accomplish your goal...while also being mindful of what is best for your opponent as well. I just don't think it was necessary for the Pats to go for it on forth down...but they did.

:D

Wait......

Tell me that you didn't just compare doing something to endanger your opponent's life to going for it on 4th and 1.

No...you did.

I think this thread just reached the :wacko: point.

Hugh...there are lots of things in this life that are perfectly legal....but at the same time are morally questionable or plain wrong.

What gives you the right to tell me what's morally questionable or plain wrong?

But in the spirit of competitiveness, when you know you have reached the point in an MMA competition where your opponent is about to submit....do you squeeze harder making him pass out...possibly die...

See Nick's post above. This is about as far-fetched a post as I've seen here at the huddle in quite some time.

Another thing, why are we taught life lessons as a kid if they are not life lessons. Maybe they should be called "for the time being" lessons. The slaughter rule was put in so kids wouldn't be embarrassed and ridiculed by virtue of getting smashed. This rule was meant to teach a life lesson....not a for the time being lesson.

The "slaughter rule" is absolutely a time being lesson. I happen to think it's a weak one to begin with and just exemplifies the pussification of America, but that discussion is for another day. Grown men, who get paid a lit of money, play football to win. Why should they all have to hug each other and hold hands and sing kumbaya? Because you think it's morally right? Well, I happen to think it's not, and my morals are just as valuable as yours.

These things may be a little apples and orange

Well, I found something we can agree on. :D

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Agree with Hugh 0ne. People think there should be no big winners and losers in today's society. If you're successful, you shouldn't be too successful. Pansies. Take yer beatdown like a man and come back better and stronger next time if you don't want to get your ass kicked again.

When I played sports in my day, I was good. But, if someone owned me, I busted my ass to get better. If they tried to let up on me, I would get in their face and tell them not to insult me.. I can take the ass whooping, but don't give me anything, I want to beat you on my own. Sometimes I rose above, sometimes I didn't, but I never allowed someone to lie down.

I expect the Eagles to stop the Pats, or get crushed.. No mercy...

You're right. They shouldn't shake hands at the end of the game either, because it "pu$$ifies" the sport. :D

Yeah, that's exactly what I said Bill, well done. If you're looking for an argument, there should be plenty of Pats fans around that will dance with you. Have at it and enjoy. If you want to engage in a civil and intelligent discussion, let me know.

Yeah, that's exactly what I said Bill, well done. If you're looking for an argument, there should be plenty of Pats fans around that will dance with you. Have at it and enjoy. If you want to engage in a civil and intelligent discussion, let me know.

DMD PM'd me and told me he is going to open a smug Pat fan vs. jealous Colt Fan masturbatory forum.

Speaking of the "pu$$ification of America", why is it OK for you to throw barbs at me, but I can't say something back to you? :D

If you want to engage in a civil and intelligent discussion, let me know.

OK, let me ask you this: Do you advocate players and coaches shaking hands at the end of a game? If so, how is that show of sportsmanship compatible with a team going for it on fourth down in the late 3rd or early 4th quarter with a 30- or 40-point lead and both the offensive and defensive means to maintain that lead?

See Nick's post above. This is about as far-fetched a post as I've seen here at the huddle in quite some time.

The "slaughter rule" is absolutely a time being lesson. I happen to think it's a weak one to begin with and just exemplifies the pussification of America, but that discussion is for another day. Grown men, who get paid a lit of money, play football to win. Why should they all have to hug each other and hold hands and sing kumbaya? Because you think it's morally right? Well, I happen to think it's not, and my morals are just as valuable as yours.

Hugh...I didn't bother to split up everything....but I got the gist of your response. I admitted the examples were apples and oranges..but the spirit of the rule in every sport can be compared versus actual application. Let me just say this. Ted Bundy thought it was perfectly moral to rape a kill women. I happen to disagree with him. I happen to think my morals are superior to his. So don't combat my argument with a morally relativistic response because that shiat just won't fly. Of course some morals are superior to others...to say otherwise would be to suggest there is no truth in the universe...and we all know there is a truth...or at least an idea that truth exists.

Back on topic!!!! Since I have just shown some morals are better than others....I in no way implicated mine were better than yours. Just stipulating that sometimes just because things are legal don't make them right...IE...moral. You will hardly find any subjects where Swerwski and I will agree on a subject...this is one ofwhere we agree. That being said, there are a lot worse things going on to worry about than whether BB is ordering the complete dismantling of an inferior squad. So, this will be the last I speak on it.

You know how to spell kumbaya? :D Probably know the ghey words to it as well.

OK, let me ask you this: Do you advocate players and coaches shaking hands at the end of a game? If so, how is that show of sportsmanship compatible with a team going for it on fourth down in the late 3rd or early 4th quarter with a 30- or 40-point lead and both the offensive and defensive means to maintain that lead?

My next thread was going to be exactly on this topic. Your interpretations and definitions of sportsmanship or class vary from mine obviously. LT not spiking the ball after a TD, classy. Hand shakes after a game, good sportsmanship. Beating your opponent down and sending a message, all good in professional sports.

:saidingolfannouncervoice: Will hugh one get the last word in on Bill before the thread gets locked ? We shall see

Getting the last word in when talking with Bill is a feat that has yet to be achieved here at the huddle, but I did get another post in. :D