[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Classy

keggerz

I did not read all 8 pages so if this has been posted please forgive me but...

Remember the playoff game when the Bills were down by 32 at the half and came back to win with Frank Reich at qb?

Or just a few years ago when the Colts scored 21 points in the last 4 minutes to win at Tampa?

What determines a lead to be insurmountable?

So, are you comparing the Colts or the '92 Bills to the '07 Bills and '07 Redskins? Or are you saying that the Patriots defense is going to blow a 40-point lead in 15 minutes? Or that the Pats offense wouldn't be able to score more, if needed. :D

Seriously, what's the downside to kicking a chip-shot FG with a 4-6 TD lead in the late 3rd or early 4th quarter? You still go up by an extra possession. What's the point in going for it, besides racking up the extra stats?

Edited by Bill Swerski

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, are you comparing the Colts or the '92 Bills to the '07 Bills and '07 Redskins? Or are you saying that the Patriots defense is going to blow a 40-point lead in 15 minutes? :D

Seriously, what's the downside to kicking a chip-shot FG with a 4-6 TD lead in the late 3rd or early 4th quarter? You still go up by an extra possession. What's the point in going for it, besides racking up the extra stats?

Alot of people are of the belief that you only kick FGs when you NEED the points. I ask you, what's the downside of going for it on 4th down in those situations? If you make it you continue to keep their Offense off the field and take more time off the clock and if you don't you are still up by a huge margin and they are deep in their territory. Kicking FGs when you are up by a huge margin is classless.

of course it is,its much classier to go for it on 4th down and get in the endzone than to score 3 :D

So exactly what should a team do when they are up by 40+ points? Walk off the field? You are obviously a jealous hater and nothing short of that would satisfy you. Yes, going for it on 4th was the classier of the two choices, the other being a chip shot for 3points that aren't needed.

Alot of people are of the belief that you only kick FGs when you NEED the points. I ask you, what's the downside of going for it on 4th down in those situations? If you make it you continue to keep their Offense off the field and take more time off the clock and if you don't you are still up by a huge margin and they are deep in their territory. Kicking FGs when you are up by a huge margin is classless.

Yeah, they sure run a lot of time off of the clock by constantly passing the ball. :D

The obvious downside of going for it on fourth down is invoking the ire of the opposing team and, not only coming off as a classless a-hole, but putting your own players in a position to take a cheap shot as well. Geez, I saw several Titans players take cheap shots at Peyton, Reggie, and Addai back in September... and that was in a CLOSE game. I can't imagine how they'd respond to Belichick running up the score on them.

...and a coach trying to Knock Brady and/or Moss out would be sending a message to Bellichick to stop running up the score and padding stats.

sending the message that his team sucks and couldn't stop within the rules and the only way to stop them is to resort to thug tactics. What a great message to send to your team.

Yeah, they sure run a lot of time off of the clock by constantly passing the ball. :D

The obvious downside of going for it on fourth down is invoking the ire of the opposing team and, not only coming off as a classless a-hole, but putting your own players in a position to take a cheap shot as well. Geez, I saw several Titans players take cheap shots at Peyton, Reggie, and Addai back in September... and that was in a CLOSE game. I can't imagine how they'd respond to Belichick running up the score on them.

So now you are questioning the Patriots offensive effectiveness? You can question whether or not their style of play lack class but suggesting that they can win more efficiently is a little loony, their record speaks for itself.

As for the ire of the opposing team, nobody should be surprised with how the Patriots play, it gets so much media attention. Going into a game against the Patriots you know exactly how they are going to play and if they get up big you can expect them to keep coming until the clock runs out. If you can't stop them I guess a lesser man would feel the need to be classless and take cheap shots.

So exactly what should a team do when they are up by 40+ points? Walk off the field? You are obviously a jealous hater and nothing short of that would satisfy you. Yes, going for it on 4th was the classier of the two choices, the other being a chip shot for 3points that aren't needed.

then why throw a pass into the end zone to try for 6pts "that aren't needed" :D

Edited by keggerz

Which part of field goal didnt you understand?

No going for it on 4th when the other team hasnt stopped you all night isnt the classier thing to do.

The defense is much more likely to stop a TD then a chip FG. Again, what do you suggest they do?

i was commenting on what you said...going for it was the classier thing to do then go for 3pts they dont need....so if that is the case why go for 6pts they dont need?

what would i do? I would kick the FG...if there is some unwritten NFL Coach Rule that you dont kick the FG then I hand the ball off....and I do it with my GL formation I dont spread the field, no gimicks, no fake spikes...i hand the ball off...that is if there is some unwritten NFL Coach Rule that says you dont kick the FG....but dont go twisting things YOU SAID they didnt need the 3pts so if they dont need 3 i want you to tell me why they throw into the EZ for 6...and dont give me the its easier to defend against that crap.

I like reading about what we all think on this topic and was thinking about if there was anything from people inside the NFL -- coaches, players -- on this topic.

Below is a thread to an article in which Joe Gibbs is asked about this.

It was the first question reporters asked Joe Gibbs after Sunday's 52-7 loss to the New England Patriots.

"Coach, did you feel like the Patriots were running up the score in the fourth quarter?"

Gibbs quickly put an end to any potential public controversy with Patriots head coach Bill Belichick.

"No," he said. "I have no problem with anything they did. Nothing. No problems from me."

Reactions Mixed on Patriots' Play Calling

i was commenting on what you said...going for it was the classier thing to do then go for 3pts they dont need....so if that is the case why go for 6pts they dont need?

what would i do? I would kick the FG...if there is some unwritten NFL Coach Rule that you dont kick the FG then I hand the ball off....and I do it with my GL formation I dont spread the field, no gimicks, no fake spikes...i hand the ball off...that is if there is some unwritten NFL Coach Rule that says you dont kick the FG....but dont go twisting things YOU SAID they didnt need the 3pts so if they dont need 3 i want you to tell me why they throw into the EZ for 6...and dont give me the its easier to defend against that crap.

If you want me to try and get in the Patriots head and answer why they do what they do then...

I think the Patriots do what they do because they play the game one way, agressive, and one way for all 60 minutes. They don't compromise or go into conservative mode, they play the same way from the first drive to the last and when the final whistle blows they take their first look at the scoreboard to see if they won or not.

I like reading about what we all think on this topic and was thinking about if there was anything from people inside the NFL -- coaches, players -- on this topic.

Below is a thread to an article in which Joe Gibbs is asked about this.

It was the first question reporters asked Joe Gibbs after Sunday's 52-7 loss to the New England Patriots.

"Coach, did you feel like the Patriots were running up the score in the fourth quarter?"

Gibbs quickly put an end to any potential public controversy with Patriots head coach Bill Belichick.

"No," he said. "I have no problem with anything they did. Nothing. No problems from me."

Reactions Mixed on Patriots' Play Calling

More:

Back across Gillette Stadium, several other Redskins players said they took no offense at the Patriots' approach.

"It's our job to keep them off the board," Pierson Prioleau said. "This is football. It's a competitive sport. They are a good team. We just have to do what we need to do to keep them out of the end zone.

Ladell Betts: "I think they were playing football. How [else] would you want to call it? We're on the other end and we didn't stop them. So I don't think it's running it up. It's playing football."

James Thrash: "Just from watching the Patriots on film during the last few weeks, New England has always played from the first quarter through the fourth quarter. That's just their mentality. I don't think it's them trying to rub it in."

Jason Campbell said that when the Redskins have a big lead, the team's approach is to back off.

"That's just what we do," he said. "Their motto might be different. They might have a different approach in the way they do it."

Campbell added: "They were going for it on fourth downs, but that's an NFL team and we have to stop it. We're all here in the NFL and we're all here to make plays."

sending the message that his team sucks and couldn't stop within the rules and the only way to stop them is to resort to thug tactics. What a great message to send to your team.

To quote all the pats lovers,they get paid to stop them.If you think taking out the opposing quarterback on a legal hit is being a thug then Im guessing you believe running up the score is as well?

If a legal hit is a thug tactic that tells your team they suck,what message should spygate have sent to the Patriots?

To quote all the pats lovers,they get paid to stop them.If you think taking out the opposing quarterback on a legal hit is being a thug then Im guessing you believe running up the score is as well?

If a legal hit is a thug tactic that tells your team they suck,what message should spygate have sent to the Patriots?

Knocking Brady's head off legally should be the goal from the first snap of the game. If they can't do it all game what makes you think they can in the 4th quarter when they've been trashed for 40+ points?

of course it is,its much classier to go for it on 4th down and get in the endzone than to score 3 :D

Actually, it's just a moranic argument altogether. Seriously....is 52-10 really less of a beating? That 4 points makes it more "Classy", taking the gimmie 3 versus giving the D a chance to stop the other team from scoring? It doesn't even make a little bit of difference, because the opposing team is just going to be embarrassed in any event. This discussion is just getting tiresome.