[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Grammar question

Controller

Grammar question:

Which of these is correct?:

1) ...if I were one of the famous people, who the world seemed to adore so much.

2)...if I were one of the famous people, whom the world seemed to adore so much.

Here is another question:

Is the apostrophe used correctly in the word "people's" here?:

I dream of reversing people's obsession with materialistic wealth.

As you may have guessed, these are part of my son's essay for a college application, so it is important that there are no grammatical errors. And grammar is definitely NOT my area of strength, so I need help from y'all. (Note: we don't need nelp with the geography section - ABearWithFurniture already helped us with that).

Grammar question:

1) ...if I were one of the famous people, who the world seemed to adore so much.

2)...if I were one of the famous people, whom the world seemed to adore so much.

A quick rule of thumb I learned in school - if you can replace the word with "he", use who. If you replace it with "him", use whom. The second sentence would be something along the lines of "the world seemd to adore him", not "the world seemed ot adore he".

Also, even though we don't have the entire sentence, that comma should most likely be taken out.

Here is another question:

Is the apostrophe used correctly in the word "people's" here?:

I dream of reversing people's obsession with materialistic wealth.

As you may have guessed, these are part of my son's essay for a college application, so it is important that there are no grammatical errors. And grammar is definitely NOT my area of strength, so I need help from y'all. (Note: we don't need nelp with the geography section - ABearWithFurniture already helped us with that).

Yes.

apostrohe in people's would be used to suggest possession ( not a contraction I E Can not = can't ) so in your example i would say the apostrophe belongs

however calling BJ , calling BJ for verification

Off a grammar site http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/corre...es-grammar.aspx . It pertains to a different matter, but they use the apostrophe here in people's, so I would say it is correct.

BTW, Fatman or Ursa are more the grammar experts here.

Off a grammar site http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/corre...es-grammar.aspx . It pertains to a different matter, but they use the apostrophe here in people's, so I would say it is correct.

BTW, Fatman or Ursa are more the grammar experts here.

My parents will be very happy to know that I'm finally getting some mileage out of that English degree from UW! :D

Grammar question:

"whom," no comma. however, you don't need it. it's implied. it makes perfect sense to say, "... if i were one of the famous people the world seemed to adore so much ..."