[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

And the new owner of the Montreal Expos is ...

Grits and Shins

... everybody.

The Expos are now owned by the commissioner's office! eek.gif

And the Marlins are sold to the previous Expos owner.

Anybody want to wager on how good the Expos will be next season?

In an unprecedented move, baseball owners unanimously approved the takeover of the Expos by the commissioner's office and the sale of the Florida Marlins to Montreal's current owner.

The votes, taken just three days before those teams start spring training, caused immediate management shifts. Montreal manager Jeff Torborg quit and became Florida's manager, and Hall of Famer Frank Robinson was hired as the Expos' manager.

Larry Beinfest, who had been the Expos' interim general manager, resigned to become Florida's general manager and was replaced by Omar Minaya, who had been senior assistant general manager of the New York Mets. Tony Tavares, who quit the Anaheim Angels last month, was appointed Montreal's team president.

"From this day forward, in terms of the decisions they make, they are on their own," Selig said.

Selig would not assure survival beyond this season for Montreal, which joined the major leagues in 1969. He promised the Expos would be run independently and that their top young players, such as Vladimir Guerrero, wouldn't be traded.

The rest of the story

The whole small market vs. large market is tough to figure. It's hard to expect the large market teams to just hand over their revenues so places like KC and Minneapolis can have a baseball team. Owning a sports franchise has always been about a rich guy and his hobby. If a millionaire owner isn't willing to invest in his franchise, he shouldn't own a team in the first place. KC was lucky we had a billionaire that gave the Royals the money they needed to be successful. He invested his own money in that organization. I don't have a whole lot of faith in MLB. I'd rather see it run into the ground and start over. Is there a way to light a match to MLB and let it burn? Believe me, I love the Royals and baseball in KC, but apathy is starting to set in here in town.