[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ever try for a new job at your current company?

Dr. Rock

I've been working at my current job in NYC for nearly a year now. The company itself is fine, but I am just increasingly disinterested in the work that my current position calls for, and my dissatisfaction only looks to increase. I have started looking for new work at other companies, but there's a posted job at the same company - albeit in an entirely different department - that looks very interesting (not to mention higher paying) and I think I'm pretty well-qualified for it, not to mention that I've made some decently-placed friends in the company thus far (it's a big company).

However, I'm almost positive my boss would not only not help me but stand in my way - partly because he's a jerk, but partly because my department is already short-staffed as it is and would be in huge trouble if I left.

So, has anyone ever tried to pull this sort of thing off before? If so, did you go talk to HR about the new position first, to see if you even had a shot - but at the risk of word then getting back to your boss? This could obviously get touchy.

Edited by Dr. Rock

Yep, I've done it. I didn't pull any punches. I just let the people looking to fill the position know I was interested. There was some "behind the scenes" meetings, and I got the job. A couple people I know did the same thing. It wasn't a big deal really. One group filled a position with a qualified known applicant, while the other group went searching for new talent.

IMO, if the company is worth working for, they should be willing to let you try something new if you are interested. They should take a hint that you are sort of looking for something new, and if you don't find it there, you will likely go elsewhere, and they will have to fill your spot eventually anyway.

Yep, I've done it. I didn't pull any punches. I just let the people looking to fill the position know I was interested. There was some "behind the scenes" meetings, and I got the job. A couple people I know did the same thing. It wasn't a big deal really. One group filled a position with a qualified known applicant, while the other group went searching for new talent.

IMO, if the company is worth working for, they should be willing to let you try something new if you are interested. They should take a hint that you are sort of looking for something new, and if you don't find it there, you will likely go elsewhere, and they will have to fill your spot eventually anyway.

very well said and i would agree with this

Good luck Dr

Thanks Doggy - good info here.

I neglected to mention that my boss is out of the country on vacation until January. Wonder how he'll react when he returns to find I've been attempting to or have already left his department. :D

I agree with Doggy. I wouldn't do it unless I already knew the answer before trying. Have a talk with the people responsible for the new position and see how receptive they are. If you don't get a warm fuzzy from them then maybe it's not such a good idea. On the other hand, when your boss comes back, it could be all over but the shouting. Good luck.