[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"unanswered points"

detlef

It's a little thing, I know, but it always irks me when the phrase "X unanswered points" is used rather than "X straight points".

If one team scores 21 pts in a row and then the other team finally scores. Those weren't 21 un-freaking-answered points since the last of those points we're, in fact, answered with a score by the other team! Yet they always refer to any somewhat long string of points as "unanswered".

Sorry, carry on.

It's a little thing, I know, but it always irks me when the phrase "X unanswered points" is used rather than "X straight points".

If one team scores 21 pts in a row and then the other team finally scores. Those weren't 21 un-freaking-answered points since the last of those points we're, in fact, answered with a score by the other team! Yet they always refer to any somewhat long string of points as "unanswered".

Sorry, carry on.

Pedantry. What is meant is that during the period when only one team was scoring, there were no answering points from the other team. Common usage of a phrase is acceptable use of language and is one of the dynamics by which language develops.

Sorry, carry on.

It was unanswered when they scored the 21st point.

Similarly, I hate it when some place sells "large" and "medium" sodas ... but not a "small". If there are two cups, the bigger one is large and the other is small -- regardless of the size. Medium is a comparative measure -- it doesn't stand alone.

"I'll have a small soda."

"I'm sorry, we only have Large and Medium."

"Give me the littler of the two. That's your small."

:D

Similarly, I hate it when some place sells "large" and "medium" sodas ... but not a "small". If there are two cups, the bigger one is large and the other is small -- regardless of the size. Medium is a comparative measure -- it doesn't stand alone.

When we were in high school, the local theater was upselling sodas as a matter of policy. So if you ordered a medium, they would be required to say "Would you like a large for a quarter more?"

So we made it a practice of ALWAYS ordering a smaller size than we wanted and making them make the upsell, then go for it. "Wow! Only a quarter! What a deal! I can't say no!!!"

When we were in high school, the local theater was upselling sodas as a matter of policy. So if you ordered a medium, they would be required to say "Would you like a large for a quarter more?"

So we made it a practice of ALWAYS ordering a smaller size than we wanted and making them make the upsell, then go for it. "Wow! Only a quarter! What a deal! I can't say no!!!"

Yeah, kind of why Americans in general are a bunch of fat asses..."I can get how much more for just a little bit more cost?"...:D It is all about the bang for the buck!

We have a local pizza place that does that, small, large and extra large. Order a large pizza and you get, effectively, a medium. Total BS.

We have a local pizza place that does that, small, large and extra large. Order a large pizza and you get, effectively, a medium. Total BS.

So if I drive the middle of the Ford fullsize SUVs, the Expedition, that's just the medium one, right? It actually does seem large to me. Until I drove an Excursion...oh boy...

Soup has gotta point - we need all these big SUVs to carry around our fat families. Can a family of five fit in an Explorer? Hell no, that is too 'small'. :D

Sorry, carry on.

I agree with Detlef on this one. Sorry Darin. :D:wacko::D

I see the point about the small-large but no medium thing, but to me Starbucks is worse with its "Tall" which is really small, "Grande" which is medium, and "Venti" which means "twenty" and is the large. Is there anything more gay than some monster truck aficionado ordering a "Double venti mocha latte with room"?

(NTTAWWT)

Pedantry. What is meant is that during the period when only one team was scoring, there were no answering points from the other team. Common usage of a phrase is acceptable use of language and is one of the dynamics by which language develops.

So, what's the threshold? I mean, if I score a TD, that sets me on a streak of "unanswered points" because I also got the PAT. That's "seven unanswered points" by your definition. Of course, you could, in fact, answer by scoring a TD of your own. Much the same way I could "answer" a longer run of yours with a score. Which would mean your longer run of points, was not, in fact, "unanswered".

Or in basketball where they say 5 fouls are allowed in the NCAA or 6 fouls are allowed in the NBA before you foul out. In reality only 4 are allowed in the NCAA or 5 are allowed in the NBA - the next one is not allowed and the consequence is that you will have fouled out.

Edited by Big John

So, what's the threshold? I mean, if I score a TD, that sets me on a streak of "unanswered points" because I also got the PAT. That's "seven unanswered points" by your definition. Of course, you could, in fact, answer by scoring a TD of your own. Much the same way I could "answer" a longer run of yours with a score. Which would mean your longer run of points, was not, in fact, "unanswered".

I think you have to finish the game without allowing the other team to score. For example, a headline may read, "The Huddle scored 21 unanswered points and won going away 42-21".

Edited by chiefjay

I guess any more than one score, as low as 2 FGs. :D I guess the implication of the term is to point at the failure of the opposition to score at all during that period that they were conceding at least two scores of whatever kind.

So if I drive the middle of the Ford fullsize SUVs, the Expedition, that's just the medium one, right? It actually does seem large to me. Until I drove an Excursion...oh boy...

Soup has gotta point - we need all these big SUVs to carry around our fat families. Can a family of five fit in an Explorer? Hell no, that is too 'small'. :D

The expedition is large and the excursion exta large, I get it... thanks to a retarded pizza place in Ohio.

Or in basketball where they say 5 fouls are allowed in the NCAA or 6 fouls are allowed in the NBA before you foul out. In reality only 4 are allowed in the NCAA or 5 are allowed in the NBA - the next one is not allowed and the consequence is that you will have fouled out.

Well, that's a sticky one. One could look at it this way: You are allowed to foul 5 times in the NCAA but after having committed the 5th foul, you are removed from the game, thus preventing the possibility of committing a 6th foul.

Actually, that's BS logic and you're right. That would be the same as saying you're allowed to steal a car but then will be sent to prison so as not to allow you to steal another one.

Now, the piece de resistance...

Who the hell is in charge of putting together the seedings for Tennis tourneys and have they ever filled out a freaking March Madness pool? I understand that only part of the field is seeded and the rest are randomly drawn. Thats fine I suppose. However, what's the freaking point of seeding the players you do seed if you're not going to bother setting up the bracket so, provided the seeded players advance, they play the seed they're supposed to play.

I don't follow the game much outside of the majors, but every single time when they get to the quarters or something you see a pairing that just should not exist. The 1 playing the 6 in the quarters or something. There's only one time the 1 should play the 6 and that's in the finals because the 6 should be coming out of the #2 seed's half of the bracket.

That's my turf GD it :D

Sorry, carry on.

You've already carried on plenty. :D Sorry, wrong. "X straight pts" is "X unanswered pts."

Not necessarily. "Smaller" doesn't automatically equal "small." If my choices are a 20 oz cup or a 28 oz cup, neither is friggin small.

Edited by BeeR

That's my turf GD it :D

You've already carried on plenty. :D Sorry, wrong. "X straight pts" is "X unanswered pts."

Well, it seems I haven't. Once again, very slowly this time. You score a touchdown. Then I score 21 straight points before you score another. Did you or did you not "answer" my last touchdown with a score of your own. You did, didn't you. Thus, not all 21 of those points were "unanswered". None the less, that's how they are commonly referred to by sports media. It just so happens they are wrong.

The logic that supports it as correct simply because it's accepted is lame. To quote your parents, if everyone is jumping off the cliff, does that make it right?

I see the point about the small-large but no medium thing, but to me Starbucks is worse with its "Tall" which is really small, "Grande" which is medium, and "Venti" which means "twenty" and is the large. Is there anything more gay than some monster truck aficionado ordering a "Double venti mocha latte with room"?

(NTTAWWT)

Is the Venti, 20oz?

Well, it seems I haven't. Once again, very slowly this time. You score a touchdown. Then I score 21 straight points before you score another. Did you or did you not "answer" my last touchdown with a score of your own. You did, didn't you. Thus, not all 21 of those points were "unanswered". None the less, that's how they are commonly referred to by sports media. It just so happens they are wrong.

The logic that supports it as correct simply because it's accepted is lame. To quote your parents, if everyone is jumping off the cliff, does that make it right?

You miss the point and read into this too literally. "unanswered points" by definition equates to scoring that 21 points in a row. The "unaswered points" means how many points in a row were scored before the other team scored again. The fact that they did score again doesn't enter into it as as an "answer."