[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kiper's 2008 Mock Draft

THE SIX KINGS

MEL KIPER’S 2008 NFL MOCK DRAFT

Posted by Pittsburgh Sports Insider on January 23rd, 2008

ESPN’s NFL Draft expert Mel Kiper has released his first 2008 NFL Mock Draft.

2008 NFL MOCK DRAFT

(January 22, 2008)

**denotes teams that will decide draft order by coin flip

1) Miami Dolphins: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

2) St. Louis Rams: Chris Long, DE, Virginia

3) Atlanta Falcons**: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

4) Oakland Raiders**: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

5) Kansas City Chiefs**: Jake Long, OT, Michigan

6) NY Jets: Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State

7) New England (from SF): Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas

8) Baltimore Ravens: Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC

9) Cincinnati Bengals: Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson

10) New Orleans Saints: Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina

11) Buffalo Bills: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma

12) Denver Broncos: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State

13) Carolina Panthers: Jeff Otah, OT, PITT

14) Chicago Bears: Sam Baker, OT, USC

15) Detroit Lions: Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy

16) Arizona Cardinals: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon

17) Minnesota Vikings: DeSean Jackson, WR, California

18) Houston Texans: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida

19) Philadelphia Eagles: Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt

20) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas

21) Washington Redskins: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami, Fla.

22) Dallas Cowboys (from Cleve): Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan

23) Pittsburgh Steelers: Chilo Rachal, OG, USC

24) Tennessee Titans: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas

25) Seattle Seahawks: Fred Davis, TE, USC

26) Jacksonville Jaguars: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida

27) San Diego Chargers: Reggie Smith, CB, Oklahoma

28) Dallas Cowboys: Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois

29) San Francisco 49ers (from Indy): James Hardy, WR, Indiana

30) Green Bay Packers: Keith Rivers, LB, USC

31) NY Giants: Dan Connor, LB, Penn State

32) New England Patriots: Forfeited Pick

Posted by Pittsburgh Sports Insider on January 23rd, 2008

ESPN’s NFL Draft expert Mel Kiper has released his first 2008 NFL Mock Draft.

2008 NFL MOCK DRAFT

(January 22, 2008)

**denotes teams that will decide draft order by coin flip

1) Miami Dolphins: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

2) St. Louis Rams: Chris Long, DE, Virginia

3) Atlanta Falcons**: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

4) Oakland Raiders**: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

5) Kansas City Chiefs**: Jake Long, OT, Michigan

6) NY Jets: Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State

7) New England (from SF): Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas

8) Baltimore Ravens: Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC

9) Cincinnati Bengals: Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson

10) New Orleans Saints: Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina

11) Buffalo Bills: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma

12) Denver Broncos: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State

13) Carolina Panthers: Jeff Otah, OT, PITT

14) Chicago Bears: Sam Baker, OT, USC

15) Detroit Lions: Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy

16) Arizona Cardinals: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon

17) Minnesota Vikings: DeSean Jackson, WR, California

18) Houston Texans: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida

19) Philadelphia Eagles: Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt

20) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas

21) Washington Redskins: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami, Fla.

22) Dallas Cowboys (from Cleve): Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan

24) Tennessee Titans: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas

25) Seattle Seahawks: Fred Davis, TE, USC

26) Jacksonville Jaguars: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida

27) San Diego Chargers: Reggie Smith, CB, Oklahoma

28) Dallas Cowboys: Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois

29) San Francisco 49ers (from Indy): James Hardy, WR, Indiana

30) Green Bay Packers: Keith Rivers, LB, USC

31) NY Giants: Dan Connor, LB, Penn State

32) New England Patriots: Forfeited Pick

Hmmm. Only one first round QB? Unlikely. FOUR first round RBs? If recent history is teaching us anything, it's that serviceable RBs can be had in later rounds and sometimes undrafted. One word for Mel's first mock: Garbage.

It's early. And Kiper is usually pretty darn good at this.

He is mediocre at best.

Kiper has proven to be relatively inconsistent in his assessment of prospects. While some of this can be attributed to injuries or off-field problems that derailed promising careers, many players simply fail to live up to the billing that Kiper gives them. This has led to him frequently being criticised as a poor evaluator of talent despite his status as an NFL Draft "guru." However, some of his "sleeper" picks have been successful, and, though sometimes the players he holds in high regard are drafted later than he expects, they too often have solid professional careers. Kiper has been less successful in predicting teams' records during the season. The following are some of his more memorable moments

Kiper also criticized the Colts selection of Marshall Faulk at #2 in 1994, saying that the team should have taken either Shuler or Trent Dilfer.[6] Kiper attacked the selection of Faulk, stating, "That's why the Colts keep picking No. 2 every year." [7] Faulk became the 1994 Offensive Rookie of the Year.[8] After a long career as one of the elite running backs NFL history, the general consensus is that Faulk will someday be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame

Kiper projected quarterback Jeff George of the University of Illinois as a mid-round pick, George selected as number 1 overall by the Indianapolis Colts

Kiper projected Notre Dame quarterback Rick Mirer as the 30th pick; he was selected second overall by the Seattle Seahawks

Among his failures, Kiper thought that Heisman Trophy winner and University of Houston quarterback Andre Ware would be an excellent NFL quarterback and a great match for the Detroit Lions-- Ware's tenure in the NFL was brief and inconspicuous. Ware is considered among the biggest busts in draft history

In 1999, Kiper said that Oregon quarterback Akili Smith would be a great NFL player and would finally provide the Cincinnati Bengals with the passer they'd lacked since Boomer Esiason. Smith was selected ahead of Daunte Culpepper, Torry Holt, Edgerrin James, Champ Bailey, and Jevon Kearse, but he spent less than four abysmal seasons in Cincinnati, starting only 17 games. He has since struggled in several brief stops in the NFL, NFL Europe, and even the CFL. It's notable that Kiper rated Smith higher than Donovan McNabb and Culpepper, despite the facts that Smith only had 11 starts at the college level and had performed poorly on the Wonderlic aptitude tests administered at the NFL Combine, both of which are traditionally seen as important indicators of a quarterback's readiness for the NFL. Smith's career was marred by inconsistency and failure to grasp the complexities of the Bengals' playbook, issues which appear to have been foreshadowed by his lack of experience and low scores.

One of Kiper's most well known mistakes was when he stated that USC wide receiver Mike Williams would be the best player in his 2005 draft class, despite not having played football in over a year after being ruled ineligible by the NCAA. When ESPN analyst Merril Hoge disagreed, Kiper uttered the now infamous line, "I'll see you at his Hall of Fame induction."

In the 1995 Draft, Kiper proclaimed UCLA wide receiver JJ Stokes a "sure-thing" who was destined to be a future All-Pro. On draft day, Kiper lambasted several teams, including the New York Jets, for passing on Stokes until he was selected 10th overall by the San Francisco 49ers

1995 Draft, Kiper had rated BYU Quarterback John Walsh as a first round pick. Walsh declared for the draft after his Junior season and had an abysmal NFL combine where he ran a 5.3 forty yard dash and displayed a weak arm in workouts. Nonetheless, Kiper still rated Walsh as a late 1st/early 2nd round pick on the day of the draft and said he would be a perfect fit for a "West Coast Offense" team like the San Francisco 49ers because of his accuracy on short passes. Walsh slid all the way to the 7th round where he was finally taken by the Cincinnati Bengals. He never appeared in a single game for the quarterback needy Bengals and was out of football less than a year later.

In 1998 Kiper said that Washington State Quarterback Ryan Leaf's "attitude" (which had rubbed teammates and coaches the wrong way in college) would be an asset in the NFL and give him a mental advantage over Peyton Manning

Before the 2001 NFL season, Kiper predicted the New England Patriots to go 0-16 and have the 1st pick in the 2002 NFL Draft. Instead, the Patriots went 11-5 and went on to win Super Bowl XXXVI against the St. Louis Rams

Not exactly what I would call, "pretty darn good"...

It's all relative. Who's better?

I like Merril Hoge, despite what he has said about VY. I also thought NFL network did a much better job of rating the prospects.

Kiper is overrated as an analyst and is wrong more times than not. He has the job because he started the "draft analysis" game on espn...

One of Kiper's most well known mistakes was when he stated that USC wide receiver Mike Williams would be the best player in his 2005 draft class, despite not having played football in over a year after being ruled ineligible by the NCAA. When ESPN analyst Merril Hoge disagreed, Kiper uttered the now infamous line, "I'll see you at his Hall of Fame induction."

I will NEVER forget watching this. Too great.

Not to defend Kiper too much but take into account two things:

1. He has done this for many years - at least ten or more. That means he has a body of work where he predicted literally thousands of rookies and there is no way he could get them all right.

2. Lambast him for some picks like Ware and Akili Smith, but realize too that many, many NFL teams were high on them after having a whole department of scouts and coaches collectively make that determination as well and did so knowing that they were about to committ millions of limited dollars to get the player.

His biggest failing IMO is that he has made this his annual TV gig and tries to make himself into an interesting TV personality with the things he said about Faulk and Mike Williams (and there were others as well). It's one thing to do the work and present the results but another to come out as he does against team owners and such. He really hasn't said too much in the last couple of drafts that I recall.

I buy his blue book every year just for research purposes since it lists out all the incoming rookies and gives info about them. I certainly do not agree with his rankings in many cases but at least he provides a collection of information about every NFL rookie and did so back when no one else was doing it. He is like an NFL groundhog that pops up just once a year.

The Lions have many needs (what a surprise), and I hate the idea of taking a skill position player as we seemingly always do, but if Jonathan Stewart is there at 15 like Kiper predicts, he will be very tempting. Kevin Jones is a perpetual injury and T.J . Duckett is well....T.J. Duckett.

:wacko:

USC head coach Pete Carroll: "No doubt that Chilo has a chance to be a great football player. He has all the necessary attributes to become a dominating one-the right attitude, the right work habits, the right physical skills. He has quick feet for being such a big man and he also has tremendous explosiveness. I think he'll be one of those players who just keeps getting better and better. I like his fierce determination. He knows what he wants and he's working to reach that goal. There's no reason why he can't."

I think I could live with that ...

Kiper was the first and made that what it is today....and has been correct on thousands of picks. He does have a pretty sound knowledge of the guys comming out of school..

But I just don't see the Phins sticking with that first pick........They have a lot of needs to fill.....Maybe Parcells parlays the pick.......Maybe he takes Dorsey......As it gets closer I am sure the predictions will jump around a liitle.....

Don't forget the schtick with Dilfer and the Colts.

"Who the hell is Mel Kiper?"

That's what former Indianapolis Colts vice president Bill Tobin said to ESPN in 1994 after Kiper ripped him for taking linebacker Trev Alberts when he could have had quarterback Trent Dilfer.

"He's never been a player, he's never been a coach, he's never been a scout, he's never been an administrator, and all of a sudden, he's an expert," Tobin said. "He has no more credentials to do what he's doing than my neighbor, and my neighbor's a postman."

Yeah, the flap with Kiper and the Colts was NOT over Marshall Faulk, as the quote in royalwitcheese's post. It was over Trev Alberts. The Colts had two picks in the top 5 in that draft. They took Marshall at #2, which was a no-brainer. But they badly needed a quarterback. Instead, they went with Trev Alberts at #5. That's what caused Kiper to criticize them. And Alberts was a bust. At least Dilfer won a Super Bowl and is still in the league.

"Kiper projected quarterback Jeff George of the University of Illinois as a mid-round pick, George selected as number 1 overall by the Indianapolis Colts

Kiper projected Notre Dame quarterback Rick Mirer as the 30th pick; he was selected second overall by the Seattle Seahawks."

I don't see how this shows him to not be a good evaluator. George was a huge reach by the Colts at #1, and they traded up to do it. If Kiper projected him as a mid-round pick, that is better evaluating than the Colts did. They could have had him later and not traded away their best offensive lineman (Chris Hinton) and their best WR (Andre Rison).

And if he projected Mirer not to be deserving of the #2 pick, um . . . was he wrong? Mirer had a good rookie year but sucked forever after.

Wherever you got that quote royal, it's full of holes. I don't think you could find a single GM who hasn't completely whiffed on a prospect now and then. The difference is they get to keep their draft boards private. Kiper doesn't.

IIRC, the Colts still sucked after taking Faulk, and did not improve until after they had a franchise signal caller.

4-12 in '93 without Faulk, 8-8, 9-7, 9-7 the first 3 years with him, 2 play-off berths and an AFC Championship appearance (Faulk was injured and DNP).

It wasn't until 1997 that they went 3-13, drafted Manning and went 3-13 again before Marshall was traded.

Kiper was the first and made that what it is today....and has been correct on thousands of picks. He does have a pretty sound knowledge of the guys comming out of school..

But I just don't see the Phins sticking with that first pick........They have a lot of needs to fill.....Maybe Parcells parlays the pick.......Maybe he takes Dorsey......As it gets closer I am sure the predictions will jump around a liitle.....

On Mike & Mike yesterday Mel said Miami will try to trade the #1 pick but he doesn't think they can. He also said Miami might take Long instead of Dorsey.

4-12 in '93 without Faulk, 8-8, 9-7, 9-7 the first 3 years with him, 2 play-off berths and an AFC Championship appearance (Faulk was injured and DNP).

It wasn't until 1997 that they went 3-13, drafted Manning and went 3-13 again before Marshall was traded.

:wacko: Are you going to hold that Colts team up as one that had a shot at getting over the hump? The point being made here is that those Colts needed a QB badly. They weren't getting it done without one.

Here is Todd McShay's mock for perusal.

Latest mock draft littered with juniors, linemen

McShay

By Todd McShay

Scouts Inc.

Insider

Updated: January 23, 2008, 1:45 PM ET

The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the NFL draft has come and gone. Now that we know who's staying and who's going, it's time for Scouts Inc.'s second mock draft. My first-round projection features 13 juniors, including No. 1 overall prospect Darren McFadden, who is not the No. 1 overall pick despite being far and away the best pro prospect available this year.

The top two picks in this version of the mock draft are defensive linemen and an offensive lineman comes in at No. 5 overall. Furthermore, those three are among a group of 12 linemen from both sides of the ball who project as first-rounders. Much will change between now and the draft in April, but here is how I see things shaking down at this early juncture:

Note: * denotes underclassman; ** denotes teams that will decide draft order by coin flip; *** denotes teams that could change position depending on playoff results

1. Miami Dolphins

Record: 1-15

Biggest needs: MLB, OT, G, DT, CB, QB

Projected pick: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

Dorsey's dominant performance against Ohio State in the BCS title game was a not-so-subtle reminder of his rare abilities. The 6-foot-1, 310-pounder was back to his disruptive ways thanks to a nearly five-week layoff that allowed him to rest a nagging knee injury originally suffered on a cheap shot in the Auburn game. That said, Bill Parcells, the Dolphins new VP of football operations, will make decisions on coaches, schemes and veteran personnel between now and the draft that could steer the team in a different direction. Dorsey is strong enough to adjust to a 3-4 defensive scheme, but it wouldn't play to his strengths as a penetrating interior force. It wouldn't be cost effective for Miami to spend No. 1 money on an interior lineman in that defensive scheme, either, so OT Jake Long and DE Chris Long are also options. Stay tuned.

2. St. Louis Rams

Record: 3-13

Biggest needs: CB, DE, G, OT, OLB

Projected pick: Chris Long, DE, Virginia

The season-ending injury to perennial Pro Bowl OT Orlando Pace and the Rams' overall poor play along the offensive line this season make OT Jake Long a possibility with this pick. But assuming Pace returns to form in 2008, the Rams have a much bigger need along the interior of their offensive line, which can be addressed in free agency or in later rounds. Don't be surprised if St. Louis goes with the other Long here; Chris is not a prototypical edge rusher but is still a dominant playmaker with rare versatility and a motor that never quits. The Rams could solidify their defensive line for years to come by following 2007 first-round DT Adam Carriker with Long this season.

3. Atlanta Falcons**

Record: 4-12

Scouts Inc.'s three biggest needs: QB, OT, DT, RB, S

Projected pick: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

This match is a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. Ryan is the clear-cut No. 1 quarterback prospect in the 2008 class. In addition to solidifying the future of the all-important position for the Falcons, Ryan has the intangibles and character to help the franchise rebuild its tarnished image.

4. Oakland Raiders**

Scouts Inc.'s three biggest needs: OT, DT, WR, DE, RB

Projected pick: Darren McFadden*, RB, Arkansas

Running back isn't quite a pressing need, but McFadden is a rare talent and an unbelievable value if he slips to the Raiders here. If the team isn't high on McFadden, though, Oakland could use this pick to fill a hole along the offensive or defensive lines. It should also be noted that the Raiders are financially strapped and will not want to dish out top-five money one year after selecting QB JaMarcus Russell with the top overall pick. So, if McFadden is still on the board, don't count out the possibility of a blockbuster trade by owner Al Davis. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, an Arkansas alum, would certainly listen to offers.

5. Kansas City Chiefs**

Scouts Inc.'s three biggest needs: OT, DE, C, WR, CB

Projected pick: Jake Long, OT, Michigan

Quarterback is still a question mark, but the Chiefs' No. 1 priority this offseason should be solidifying their offensive front. Long is unquestionably the most dominant offensive lineman in the 2008 class and could help Kansas City achieve that goal in a hurry. He has the versatility to play either right or left tackle, and his combination of size, technique, athletic ability and a mean streak would improve the Chiefs' line almost immediately.

6. New York Jets

Scouts Inc.'s three biggest needs: WR, NT, ILB, G, OLB

Projected pick: Vernon Gholston*, DE, Ohio State

This seems a bit high right now for Gholston, who flashes top-10 talent in many games (see: three sacks against Michigan) but disappears in too many others. Don't be surprised, however, if he works his way into the top-10 mix by the time April rolls around. Gholston is the best edge-rushing prospect in the class and we all know the premium NFL teams place on those players. He would be an excellent addition at rush linebacker for a Jets defense that is in need of some perimeter heat out of its 3-4 front.

7. New England Patriots (from 5-11 San Francisco)

Record: 16-0

Scouts Inc.'s three biggest needs: ILB, CB, OLB, OL depth

Projected pick: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida

The Patriots would like to inject some youth at inside linebacker, but there isn't a player at that position worth selecting this high now that James Laurinaitis (Ohio State) and Rey Maualuga (USC) are both returning to school next fall. The next priority is to find a replacement for CB Asante Samuel, a free agent who can't be franchised for a second consecutive year, and Jenkins is currently the top-rated cornerback in a weak 2008 crop. His combination of size, speed and athleticism is outstanding and his recognition skills improved each season. Jenkins also brings versatility to the table; he can play some safety and also chip in on returns.

8. Baltimore Ravens

Record: 5-11

Scouts Inc.'s three biggest needs: CB, QB, OLB, DE, OT

Projected pick: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville

Baltimore hopes this pick puts an end to its seemingly endless search for a franchise quarterback. There's no such thing as a "can't-miss" prospect in the NFL draft, especially at quarterback, and although Brohm is hardly an exception to the rule, he does possess the size, accuracy, pocket presence, intelligence and work ethic to thrive at the next level.

9. Cincinnati Bengals

Record: 7-9

Scouts Inc.'s three biggest needs: DT, LB, OT, DE, TE

Projected pick: Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC

The Bengals have a big need for help along the interior of the defense and Ellis is a quick, tough and relentless defensive tackle. He has the potential to disrupt plays in the backfield with his explosive first step and can occupy blockers, which would make the Bengals' entire front seven better.

10. New Orleans Saints

Scouts Inc.'s three biggest needs: CB, DT, MLB, TE, OLB

Projected pick: Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina

This is admittedly a bit of a reach, but unfortunately for the Saints this appears to be the area where the elite talent pool runs dry. Laurinaitis and CB Malcolm Jenkins returning to Ohio State could end up affecting the Saints more than any other team in the draft. Cornerback and defensive tackle are New Orleans' biggest need areas and Balmer is the best available prospect at either position. Although Balmer flashes top-10 potential at times, he also could turn out to be another bust in the mold of Jonathan Sullivan, who New Orleans selected sixth overall in 2003 but traded away in 2006 after he failed to live up to his potential.

11. Buffalo Bills

Biggest needs: TE, CB, WR, LB, DT

Projected pick: DeSean Jackson*, WR, California

Jackson could join forces with former Cal teammate and current Bills RB Marshawn Lynch to give Buffalo one of the most exciting young offensive skill groups in the NFL. Jackson still has room to improve as a route-runner and he must get stronger in order to endure a 16-game NFL schedule. Much like Ted Ginn Jr. (No. 9 overall to Miami last season), however, Jackson's home run ability after the catch, on vertical routes and returning punts will be too tempting for a team with a top-15 draft pick to pass on.

12. Denver Broncos

Biggest needs: OT, DT, S, MLB, G

Projected pick: Ryan Clady*, OT, Boise State

Clady is still improving his strength but he possesses impressive feet to go along with his enormous wingspan and huge frame. He would be an ideal fit in Denver's zone-blocking scheme.

13. Carolina Panthers

Biggest needs: QB, WR, DE, OLB, OT

Projected pick: Calais Campbell*, DE, Miami

It would be tough to pass on a potential future franchise quarterback in Andre' Woodson, but I get the sense that coach John Fox is more worried about the immediate future. Instead of drafting a young signal-caller who will need time to develop, look for the Panthers to bring in veteran competition for Matt Moore, who showed some signs of potential late in the season. Drafting an end like Campbell, who could make an immediate contribution, seems more prudent for Fox; Mike Rucker is expected to retire and Julius Peppers disappeared in 2007.

14. Chicago Bears

Biggest needs: QB, OT, DT, G, RB

Projected pick: Andre' Woodson, QB, Kentucky

Teams will be concerned about Woodson's occasional lapses in decision-making and lack of mobility, but he possesses the size, arm strength and accuracy as a passer to develop into a good starter in the NFL. The Bears will likely consider themselves fortunate if Woodson falls to them at pick No. 14 overall, given the quarterback issues that have plagued the team in recent seasons.

15. Detroit Lions

Biggest needs: OT, G, CB, S, DE

Projected pick: Aqib Talib*, CB, Kansas

The Lions will be selecting outside of the top 10 for the first time since 2001 and the trick is to find quality players this far down the line. The Lions' secondary is undermanned and would welcome the services of Talib; he is a versatile, fluid athlete with excellent size and ball skills. His elite athleticism was on display when returned an interception 100 yards for a touchdown this season, and Talib also saw some snaps on offense.

16. Arizona Cardinals

Record: 8-8

Biggest needs: OLB, CB, TE, RB, DE

Projected pick: Jonathan Stewart*, RB, Oregon

The Cardinals have more pressing needs on the other side of the ball -- like defensive tackle and cornerback -- but there isn't a player available at either position who is as valuable as Stewart. He has the speed to provide a big-play element that is missing in the Cardinals' rushing attack while splitting carries with Edgerrin James early in his career. Stewart also could offer a boost as a kickoff returner.

17. Minnesota Vikings

Biggest needs: DE, WR, S, QB, TE

Projected pick: Derrick Harvey*, DE, Florida

Believe it or not, Minnesota is still in the market for a pass-rushing defensive end despite investing recent back-to-back first-round picks in Kenechi Udeze (2004) and Erasmus James (2005). Harvey isn't quite as explosive as former teammate Jarvis Moss (first round to Denver last season), but he is more naturally athletic and if groomed properly should become a more complete player in the NFL.

18. Houston Texans

Biggest needs: CB, G, WR, S, OT

Projected pick: Kenny Phillips*, S, Miami

The Texans boast arguably the best young defensive line in the NFL thanks to former first-round picks DE Mario Williams (2006) and DT Amobi Okoye (2007), and now they need a ball hawk in the secondary who can capitalize when that line forces bad throws from opposing quarterbacks. Phillips could be the right man for the job. He needs good coaching to improve his consistency, but there isn't a defensive back in this year's class who can stack up with Phillips' overall blend of natural physical tools.

19. Philadelphia Eagles

Biggest needs: OT, S, WR, LB, TE

Projected pick: Malcolm Kelly*, WR, Oklahoma

Current Eagles OTs Jon Runyan and William Thomas aren't getting any younger, so Jeffrey Otah (Pittsburgh) and Michael Oher (Mississippi) are possibilities here. However, the Eagles are still in search of a big-play threat at wide receiver and Kelly could finally be the answer. Unlike most big receivers, he's a smooth route-runner who knows how to separate from man-to-man coverage. Kelly also might have the strongest hands of any receiver in this year's class.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Record: 9-7

Biggest needs: OT, WR OLB, CB, QB

Projected pick: Sam Baker, OT, USC

Cornerback is also an area of need but Baker would be a steal this late in the first round. He suffered through an injury-plagued senior season and he still needs to get stronger, but no tackle in the 2008 is better equipped athletically to step in immediately and improve the pass-blocking situation for coach Jon Gruden's West Coast offense.

21. Washington Redskins

Record: 9-7

Biggest needs: WR, DE, S, OT, CB

Projected pick: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas

The Redskins' top priority this offseason is to add a playmaking receiver to the roster. There projects to be a run of wide receivers in the bottom half of the first round before the shallow talent pool dries up and if the Redskins don't get involved here they're likely to get shut out of the wide receiver market. Sweed could become one of the steals of this year's draft; he possesses top-10 talent but will no doubt be undervalued due to a wrist injury that cut short his senior season but should have no long-term affects on his pass-catching ability.

22. Dallas Cowboys (from 10-6 Cleveland)

Record: 13-3

Biggest needs: CB, WR, OT, ILB, RB

Projected pick: Mario Manningham*, WR, Michigan

Manningham is an underrated talent who could be special at the next level if he keeps his head on straight. With his good deep speed it wouldn't take Manningham long to take over Terry Glenn's role in the Dallas offense as the vertical threat opposite Terrell Owens. However, Manningham needs to get stronger in order to deal with physical press coverage.

23. Pittsburgh Steelers

Record: 10-6

Biggest needs: OT. C, DE, G, RB

Projected pick: Jeffrey Otah, OT, Pittsburgh

The Steelers could use two of their first three picks on offensive linemen. They have bigger holes to fill inside at center and guard, but with his combination of size and skills Otah is far and away the best lineman available in this scenario. G Roy Schuening (Oregon State) and C John Sullivan (Notre Dame) could also become Steelers in later rounds.

24. Tennessee Titans

Biggest needs: WR, CB, TE, WR, OL

Projected pick: Early Doucet, WR, LSU

Considering the Pacman Jones fallout, it wouldn't be surprising to see Tennessee pass on the more naturally gifted James Hardy, who has off-field baggage. The Titans need to draft a legitimate weapon for QB Vince Young to target in the passing game, and although Doucet battled injury during his senior season, has the quickness and playmaking ability to help Young.

25. Seattle Seahawks

Biggest needs: OT, DT, RB, TE, G

Projected pick: Rashard Mendenhall*, RB, Illinois

It is unlikely that current Seahawks RB Shaun Alexander will ever return to his 2005 MVP form, and Maurice Morris has proven to be most effective in a complementary role. This year's crop of running backs is unusually deep, but Seattle might not want to wait; Mendenhall is an underrated receiver, has limited wear on his tires and is coming off a very impressive showing against the speedy USC defense in the Rose Bowl.

26. New York Giants***

Biggest needs: OLB, CB, S, OT, DT

Projected pick: Keith Rivers, OLB, USC

The Giants are in need of a legitimate upgrade at linebacker and Rivers is instinctive and athletic enough to contribute immediately on the weak side. Arkansas RB Felix Jones is another possibility here; his world-class speed makes him an ideal complement to current Giants power back Brandon Jacobs. Jones also can add value as a big-play threat as a receiver and in the return game, so keep an eye on this selection.

27. Jacksonville Jaguars

Record: 11-5

Biggest needs: WR, DE, SS, CB

Projected pick: Quentin Groves, DE, Auburn

The Jaguars should use this pick on the best available pass-rusher. Although Groves struggled through an injury-riddled senior season, there isn't an edge rusher in the 2008 class with better top-end speed. His stock is likely to soar following what should be impressive showings at the combine and individual workouts.

28. San Diego Chargers***

Record: 11-5

Biggest needs: G, OT, NT, FB, RB

Projected pick: Dan Connor, MLB, Penn State

Connor is a versatile prospect who spent most of his collegiate career at outside linebacker before moving inside as a senior. Similar to former teammate Paul Posluszny (second round to Buffalo last season), Connor is a bit overrated at this early point in the draft process. Regardless, he's athletic and tough enough to warrant late-first round consideration from a team like the Chargers, who are in need of an upgrade at inside linebacker.

29. Dallas Cowboys

Biggest needs: CB, WR, OT, ILB, RB

Projected pick: Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy

After nabbing a vertical threat at wide receiver five picks earlier in the person of Manningham, Dallas can take a chance on a potential shutdown cornerback in McKelvin. He has excellent speed and can also be a contributor in the return game, and McKelvin held his own against big-time competition this season.

30. San Francisco 49ers (from 13-3 Indianapolis)

Record: 5-11

Biggest needs: WR, OT, OLB, DE, QB

Projected pick: James Hardy*, WR, Indiana

The 49ers need a playmaker at wide receiver to take the attention away from TE Vernon Davis and some pressure off QB Alex Smith. And although Hardy comes with some baggage and he needs some polishing, no receiver in this class possesses a more imposing combination of size and natural athleticism.

31. Green Bay Packers***

Biggest needs: OT, S, CB, TE, P

Projected pick: Fred Davis, TE, USC

Former first-round pick Bubba Franks never developed into a difference-maker in the passing game and his career is on the steady decline. Davis emerged as the Trojans' go-to-receiver with 62 receptions as a senior, finally getting a chance to showcase his outstanding athletic ability. Packers QB Brett Favre would certainly welcome the addition of a tight end like Davis, who can stretch the seam and generate yards after the catch.

32. New England Patriots***

Record: 16-0

Scouts Inc.'s three biggest needs: ILB, CB, OLB, OL depth

Projected pick: Pick forfeited.

The Patriots forfeit this pick as part of the penalty handed down for illegally taping Jets coaches from the sideline in Week 1.

Todd McShay is the director of college football scouting for Scouts Inc. He has been evaluating prospects for the NFL draft since 1998.