[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest guitar players of all time

DMD

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and in the female top guitarist category, I can only think of two:

1) Joni Mitchell (folk guitar) :wacko:

2) Joan Jett

For the 15 year old boy, I'd suggest looking into the female guitarists from the Robert Palmer videos ... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0U5JfGYx4c...feature=related

Tom Morello, Angus Young

Good call on these 2..Angus plays simple but driving rock n roll and Tom Morello is extremely unique with very groove oriented stuff..He also obviously plays great hard stuff too..I met him once before Rage. He was in a band called Lock up..I saw them play at Lamour in brooklyn. He blew me away.Soon after he was in Rage..Great player.

Ill add to the list Mark Ford from the Black Crowes and Keith Richards

Everyone here is wrong :wacko: The best solo guitarist of all time is Django Reinhardt. Period. There is no other option. The following guitarists below all say Django is the best guitarist that ever lived and I agree with them:

Chet Atkins

Carlos Santana

Jerry Garcia

Tommy Iommi

Jimi Hendrix

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Mark Knopler

Les Paul

Joe Pass

Charlie Christian

George Benson

Wes Montgomery

Pretty good list above. Listen to Django and see what I mean - what's even more amazing is that he played with essentially two fingers on his fretting hand - remarkable when you hear what this guy does with a guitar.

Everyone here is wrong :wacko: The best solo guitarist of all time is Django Reinhardt. Period. There is no other option. The following guitarists below all say Django is the best guitarist that ever lived and I agree with them:

Chet Atkins

Carlos Santana

Jerry Garcia

Tommy Iommi

Jimi Hendrix

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Mark Knopler

Les Paul

Joe Pass

Charlie Christian

George Benson

Wes Montgomery

Pretty good list above. Listen to Django and see what I mean - what's even more amazing is that he played with essentially two fingers on his fretting hand - remarkable when you hear what this guy does with a guitar.

I'll do my Big John impersonation and say :D Az mentioned him in post #5

I will, however, look into him and take y'all's word for it. Thanks for the info.

Everyone here is wrong :D The best solo guitarist of all time is Django Reinhardt. Period. There is no other option. The following guitarists below all say Django is the best guitarist that ever lived and I agree with them:

Chet Atkins

Carlos Santana

Jerry Garcia

Tommy Iommi

Jimi Hendrix

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Mark Knopler

Les Paul

Joe Pass

Charlie Christian

George Benson

Wes Montgomery

i think you gotta have Duane allman on this list :wacko:

Rolling Stone came out with this list a few years ago:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/593...sts_of_all_time

It's a VERY bad list. I mean they have Kurt Cobain at #12 and EVH at #70. The list is BAD. Still, it's got some interesting names on it.

DMD, if you'd like to buy your son an amazing album, get him THIS.. Outrageous guitar playing here.

BTW, I'd probably vote for

1. Hendrix

2. Django

3. SRV

4. Robert Fripp

5. Frank Zappa

There's a whole class of "noodlers" who specialize in technical display. Steve Vai is one of the few who put a lot of musicianship into his virtuosity. Him and Buckethead. . .

I'd also give special mention to Bill Frisell. An amazing musician and guitarist.