[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest guitar players of all time

DMD

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't see Sheik's post.   :wacko:

I was lucky enough to do a full day workshop with Robert Fripp about 15 years ago. . .it was one of the most memorable days of my life. He's an amazingly interesting person. I could tell many stories.

I was lucky enough to do a full day workshop with Robert Fripp about 15 years ago. . .it was one of the most memorable days of my life. He's an amazingly interesting person. I could tell many stories.

I wouldn't mind reading them.

Other lead guitarists not yet named that make a guitar do some interesting stuff:

Billy Corgan

Dave Evans (aka "The Edge" from U2)

Also, top-shelf bassists include:

Les Claypool

Flea

Geddy Lee

Les Claypool of Primus is hands down the best damn guitar player I have ever seen. He mainly plays a six string frettless bass. However, he plays many stringed instruments while in concert. Excellent call there Muck. I have seen Primus in concert many times....and when he plays "My Name Is Mud" and how he just slaps that dang bass is unreal

For you electric guys....haven't heard anyone mention Oteel Burberidge(I am sure I spelled this wrong.)

Les Claypool of Primus is hands down the best damn guitar player I have ever seen. He mainly plays a six string frettless bass. However, he plays many stringed instruments while in concert. Excellent call there Muck. I have seen Primus in concert many times....and when he plays "My Name Is Mud" and how he just slaps that dang bass is unreal

For you electric guys....haven't heard anyone mention Oteel Burberidge(I am sure I spelled this wrong.)

I know these guy don't hold a candle to the likes of Flea or Les Claypool, but two of my favorite bassists in rock-style bands include Pete Charell of Trapt and Justin Chancellor of Tool (not sure if he's the original or not). Check 'em out.

Edited by darin3

I know these guy don't hold a candle to the likes of Flea or Les Claypool, but two of my favorite bassists in rock-style bands include Pete Charell of Trapt and Justin Chancellor of Tool (not sure if he's the original or not). Check 'em out.

I think Justin is the original for Tool...and that guy is also spectacular. The thing about Les....and I have seen Flea....is that I have never seen anyone...ANYONE play a guitar like that.

Great - that's the last feckin' person I want to agree with.

how about if i said django couldn't carry charlie christian's jock? (happens to be true). i also doubt every guitarist on that list of yours said django was the best guitarist that ever lived. one or two may have said that, and they may all have admired him on some level, but i can't believe they all went on record calling him THE best.

I'd also give special mention to Bill Frisell. An amazing musician and guitarist.

one of my favorite living musicians, period. seen him live about 6 or 7 times, the last being this past fall.

and as long as we're doing special mentions, i'll go with sonny sharrock (not the greatest video, but it's about the only one on youtube).

how about if i said django couldn't carry charlie christian's jock? (happens to be true). i also doubt every guitarist on that list of yours said django was the best guitarist that ever lived. one or two may have said that, and they may all have admired him on some level, but i can't believe they all went on record calling him THE best.

Yup, everyone of them said he is thee best - they said it in unison too while discussing who would be the best option to throw a solo in 'We are the World'. peaches by the bucket's crazy aint it?!

As far as your claim that Django 'couldn't carry Charlie Christian's jock' - that's a bold statement to make. Django could carry any man's jock - NTTAWWT