[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest guitar players of all time

DMD

Yup, everyone of them said he is thee best - they said it in unison too while discussing who would be the best option to throw a solo in 'We are the World'. peaches by the bucket's crazy aint it?!

As far as your claim that Django 'couldn't carry Charlie Christian's jock' - that's a bold statement to make. Django could carry any man's jock - NTTAWWT

Not doubting your story Brent but I gotta go with Az in regards to all the guys on that list saying Django was the best ever. I have read SRVs Book and know for a fact that he felt Hendrix and his brother Jimmy were the best guitarists he had ever seen. Maybe they said he would be best to do the solo that you mentioned.

Edited by whomper

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry Garcia doesn't get a lot of love in these discussions, but he clearly is up there in the pantheon of the "best". Take a listen to his solo acoustic stuff sometime.

Zappa and Vai are on a different planet from the rest of the guitar players. Vai's teacher was Satriani.

Guitarists that study Steve Howe from Yes will never look at the guitar in the same way. Trust me.

One name conspicuously absent from this entire discussion, I'm guessing because he plays classical music, Andres Segovia.

Edited by Kid Cid

Not doubting your story Brent but I gotta go with Az in regards to all the guys on that list saying Django was the best ever. I have read SRVs Book and know for a fact that he felt Hendrix and his brother Jimmy were the best guitarists he had ever seen. Maybe they said he would be best to do the solo that you mentioned.

Even you didn't catch the joke in my last post? Sarcasm truly doesn't travel well over the interweb. I was a little exagerated in my initial post - got the info from wikipedia.

Even you didn't catch the joke in my last post? Sarcasm truly doesn't travel well over the interweb. I was a little exagerated in my initial post - got the info from wikipedia.

:wacko: wikipedia:

Many musicians have expressed admiration for Reinhardt, including guitarist Jimmy McCulloch, classical guitarist Julian Bream; country artist Chet Atkins, who placed Reinhardt #1 on a list of the ten most influential guitarists of the 20th century (he placed himself fifth); Latin rocker Carlos Santana; blues legend B.B. King; the Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia; Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi; Jimi Hendrix; Shawn Lane; Stevie Ray Vaughan; Derek Trucks; Mark Knopfler; Les Paul; Joe Pass; Peter Frampton; Denny Laine; Jeff Beck; Jon Larsen; Steve Howe; Charlie Christian; George Benson; Wes Montgomery; Martin Taylor; Tchavolo Schmitt; Stochelo Rosenberg; Biréli Lagrène; John Jorgenson; Michael Angelo Batio; Richard Thompson; Robert Fripp; and Jeff Martin. Willie Nelson wore a Django Reinhardt T-shirt on tour in Europe in 2002, stating in an interview that he admired Django's music and ability. The British guitarist Diz Disley plays in a style based on Reinhardt's technique and he collaborated on numerous projects with Stéphane Grappelli.

chet atkins is the only one who put him #1, and (this part is admittedly picking nits) that was "most influential of the 20th century", not "best ever".

ya know, bit of trivia here, but guess who wrote the django bio and record reviews for this book? yep, that's right....yours truly. i think i got like 30 bucks for it, too. :D

:wacko:

Marr was "only" good technically, but his songwriting skills were unbelievable.

Dave Evans (aka "The Edge" from U2)

Billy Corgan

Both of these guys go into the very-good-and-influential-but-not-great category as well. Trey Anastasio goes into the category as well, IMO.

Great lists be eveyone- you got the all time greats nailed IMO

As for the past 10-15 years my vote goes to Mike McCready - followed by Jerry Cantrell of AIC

was going to say McCready as he is WAY underrated. Love Cantrell as well, but he is such an H.R. Puffenstuff in person whereas McCready is so cool to meet and would rather have a beer with Joe Common than with Joe Star

I'm guessing that DMD's filter is in effect, but I've met Cantrell twice, 15 years apart, and was struck by how down to earth he was both times.

werd- saw him at a few parties- seemed cool enough- used to always go to M's games rockin his "Cantrell" authentic jersey..........

Not sure how many beers McCready would throw down anyway - dude has been clean and sober for a while

If not, cue the U2 song.... although the guitar in that is rather bland. :wacko:

I once knew a guitarist who HATED U2 so much, his stage name in his band was "The Itch". I thought it was a stroke of genius.

I can understand not loving U2, but who in the heck HATES them? Does this guy hate the Beatles and Zeppelin as well?

:wacko: I don't like using the "h-word", but I can honestly say that I reeeeeally do NOT like U2's albums from Achtung Baby on. That said, I absolutely love War (one of the best albums ever), The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree. No other band has gone from such "wow" to such crap, IMO.