[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pac-10 Hoops

godtomsatan

This is a tough conference. 8 teams have credible arguments to making the tourney field at this point. I somewhat suspect Arizona St. and one of USC, Oregon, or Cal will struggle in the 2nd half a bit and bring that group back to a reasonable to accept 6 tourney teams.

UCLA (8-1, 20-2): #5 in the country, and might have the best big man in the land in Kevin Love. Key are the guards Collison and Westbrook that dominate every game I've seen them play this season.

Stanford (7-2, 18-3): Ranked #9 as of this week. Very underrated team and hot as ballz right now. Now that Brook Lopez is healthy and dominant, watch out. They don't have a favorable shot at the #1 seed, but considering their real solid frontcourt/backcourt combo on both sides of the floor, if they get sent across the country as a #2 or #3 seed, keep an eye on them.

Washington State (5-4, 17-4): Ranked #17. Overranked all season, but nevertheless a solid club. Has struggled in the Pac-10, especially this week vs. the Bay Area schools. Consummate team play is impressive, especially on the defensive end of the floor. Huge game in Pullman Thursday vs. UCLA.

Arizona (5-4, 15-7): Hard to figure out kind of team. Seem like they have talent, but have iffy results against quality opponents (wins over Texas A&M and WSU).

USC (5-4, 14-7): Incredible frosh in PG O.J. Mayo, and really, not a lot else. Smaller than every team in the Pac-10. I'm not a fan, but they beat UCLA and played Memphis real tough early in the year. Probably need to manage a split up north in Seattle and Pullman this weekend to secure their spot.

Arizona State (4-5, 14-7)

California (4-5, 13-7)

Oregon (4-5, 13-8)

Of these three teams, Cal is a machine. Ryan Anderson is a flat out stud. I fully expect them to bump up in the 2nd half. Oregon and Arizona St. seem like marginally good teams, but not any better than the top 5 (whereas Cal vs. WSU and Arizona are coinflips, IMO).

Washington (3-6, 12-10): My team has not quite clicked. They play solid, but make too many mental mistakes during games against teams that are just flat out better than they are. Can't shoot free throws and have zero reliable scoring besides Jon Brockman, who is as good a banger as there is in the country.

Oregon State (0-9, 6-15): They're called the Beavers. Which is awesome.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

werd- Good Work GTS- Spot On Analysis :wacko:

Pac 10 does have 8 tournament-quality teams, although it is looking like 6, with a shot at 7.....

LOCKS

UCLA - as good as anyone in the country.period. Will be a #1 seed and strong Final 4 contender

STAN - coming on strong and looking like the 2nd best team in the league

ZONA - with Bayless healthy they are loaded, and can beat anyone on a given night- that being said- they can roll out an egg as well.

WSU - solid not great club, tad overrated, and has to show up- or they can get drilled - see UA, STAN, CAL

USC - looking good- they are starting to jell somewhat

SHOULD GET IN

Oregon- should win enought games- tough to beat at home, I htink +.500 in conference play will do it

WORK TO DO:

CAL - better than ASU IMO- and if they didn't blow some winnable games late would be near lock status - I think they sneak in

ASU - fading- terrible SOS - and they have some tough roadies coming up

UW played well, and UCLA for soem reason really was out of it, maybe due to UW mucking it up and fighting em tough.

Dentmon played unreal, Brockman banged Love around pretty well- where has that been for the last 2-3 years. Shows the strength of the Pac 10 when they team in 9th place can jump up and get one of the best teams in the country.

update.........

ASU knocking off Stan gives the Pac 10 6 that will most assuredly be dancing :wacko:

UCLA, WSU, STAN, UA, USC, ASU are all but in.....and I think OU gets in as well if they can finish >.500 in conference play.

Would be the first time in NCAA histroy I believe a conference would get 70% of it's teams into the field of 64/5.

Best conference in America hands-down :D

ASU knocking off Stan gives the Pac 10 6 that will most assuredly be dancing :wacko:

Definitely a big win vs. Stanford, but they will need at least 3 wins the rest of the way out. Too early to crown a team that 1 week ago was riding a 5 game slide.

Definitely a big win vs. Stanford, but they will need at least 3 wins the rest of the way out. Too early to crown a team that 1 week ago was riding a 5 game slide.

ASU drops one at home to Cal.

The top 3 spots are pretty secure between UCLA, Stanford, and Wazzu.

The fight is the 4-8 spots in the conference. No Pac-10 team has ever made the tourney with less than 10 conference wins. Arizona, Arizona St., and USC are 6-6, Cal and Oregon are 6-7, with 3 weekends left.

Hugh weekend for the Sun Devils and Wildcats visiting the WA schools. Neither team plays well up north and dual sweeps would be a killer for both teams, while that occurance would be a gigantic boon for current 9th place Washington who would catapult both AZ schools under that scenario.

USC gets the OR schools at home, which could conceivably kill the Ducks tournament hopes if they don't beat the Trojans Thursday night.

Cal has the tough trip @ Stanford.

Predictions after this weekend:

UCLA: W vs. OSU, W vs. UO: 12-2

Stanford: W vs. Cal: 11-3

Washington St.: W vs. UA, W vs. ASU: 10-5

USC: W vs. UO, W vs. OSU: 8-6

Washington: W vs. ASU, W vs. UA: 7-8

Arizona St.: L @ UW, L @ WSU: 6-8

Arizona: L @ WSU, L @ UW: 6-8

California: L @ Stanford: 6-8

Oregon: L @ USC, L @ UCLA: 6-9

Oregon St.: L @ UCLA, L @ USC: 0-15

yep- it is going to be an interesting finish. A few things to consider- I don't think the 10 W benchmark is set in stone this year, reason being I think with the Pac 10 being the consensus #1 conference, I think a decent NC resume and a .500 conference record (a la the ACC in recent years) will get you in.

As of now, Joe Lunardi has 7 getting in with OU being one of last to make it.

I disagree on yer calls this weekend- UW is not going to sweep ASU/UA - not gonna happen. I think OU may get 1 on the LA trip-

I think UCLA, STAN,WSU, USC, UA, are all safe

ASU, OU have to finish strong

Put the $$$ down. Washington won't win another game this season, but they'll win two this weekend.

I'm a Husky fan too but to say they sweep the Zona schools this week is a stretch. Hope you're right though.

IMO, the Zona schools have too much riding on this for both to lose. It would be incredible to see 7 Pac-10 teams make the tourney. I think that Oregon is going to be left out and if they are you'll see them play in MSG in the NIT.

Edited by theprofessor

I'm a Husky fan too but to say they sweep the Zona schools this week is a stretch. Hope you're right though.

Why qualify it as a stretch? They beat ASU in Tempe already. They beat UCLA two weeks ago.

IMO, the Zona schools have too much riding on this for both to lose. It would be incredible to see 7 Pac-10 teams make the tourney. I think that Oregon is going to be left out and if they are you'll see them play in MSG in the NIT.

There won't be 7 teams in the tourney. 5 will make it. 3 or 4 will make the NIT field.

Why qualify it as a stretch? They beat ASU in Tempe already. They beat UCLA two weeks ago.

There won't be 7 teams in the tourney. 5 will make it. 3 or 4 will make the NIT field.

Why the negativity??? and I totally disagree with you. I think 6 is a mortal lock, and 7 is very doable.

think positively!!!

Joe Lunardi with ESPN, who is probably the best in the country at predicting the field has the Pac 10 getting 7 in right now, with Cal being one of the last 8 out. So......- get with it GTS- and take yer negative Pac 10 vibe elsewhere :wacko:

Oregon has a tough road no question- they are right there though.......one thing I think you are forgetting, is one of the bubble teams OU/ASU/CAL makes a strong showing in the Pac 10 tourney- that will get them over the hump

Why the negativity??? and I totally disagree with you. I think 6 is a mortal lock, and 7 is very doable.

It's not negativity, it's numbers.

UCLA, Stanford, and WSU are locks. Arizona and USC have the best chances to finish 10-8 based on the schedule. Arizona St. and Oregon are likely 9-9 kind of teams. Cal is on the outside at 8-10. Washington at 7-11.

So, based on reasonable expectations, Arizona and USC get in with 10-9 conference records. That's teams #4 and #5

Then the issue for a 6th team comes down to ASU and Oregon. The Sun Devils have beaten Xavier, Arizona twice, and Stanford, but the last RPI thing I saw has them listed at #75. Oregon's RPI is a little higher at #50, and their SOS is listed as #20, but other than a win in OT @ Kansas St., a win @ Arizona, and a win at home vs. Stanford, I'm not really certain that they've played THAT tough of a schedule (lots of 100-120 ranked RPI teams).

I suspect Oregon is a bubble team at this point, and needs to at least finish 3-2 the rest of the way out, and they can't lose if they have to play on the first day of the Pac-10 tourney. Arizona St. needs to get to 10 wins, or needs to get to 9 wins and beat either Stanford or WSU in the conference tourney to get in.

It's not negativity, it's numbers.

UCLA, Stanford, and WSU are locks. Arizona and USC have the best chances to finish 10-8 based on the schedule. Arizona St. and Oregon are likely 9-9 kind of teams. Cal is on the outside at 8-10. Washington at 7-11.

So, based on reasonable expectations, Arizona and USC get in with 10-9 conference records. That's teams #4 and #5

you said it yourself- it is based on numbers, and I think you need to adjust yours- this year as the #1 rated conference and a 9-9 for ASU/OR and a should get them in- I know you think 10 wins is needed- and in the past it has been- but not this year-

as I have stated before the Pac 10 is gonna get the old ACC treatment, where the league is so strong, that 9-9 will get it done.

i.e - Lunardi has ASU at 6-6 and Oregon at 6-7 as IN as of today. Dude knows his chit....................

you said it yourself- it is based on numbers, and I think you need to adjust yours- this year as the #1 rated conference and a 9-9 for ASU/OR and a should get them in- I know you think 10 wins is needed- and in the past it has been- but not this year-

as I have stated before the Pac 10 is gonna get the old ACC treatment, where the league is so strong, that 9-9 will get it done.

i.e - Lunardi has ASU at 6-6 and Oregon at 6-7 as IN as of today. Dude knows his chit....................

WC, I'm going to pull the cynic's hat (duh). The selection committee is chaired by the AD @ George Mason, a mid-major conference school. The Pac-10 rep is UCLA's AD Dan Guerrero, who will sell his remaining nut AND a 6th Pac-10 team for a #1 seed in the West for the Bruins. Those are two factors that can't necessarily be underestimated.

I respect Lunardi's stuff, but he's never 100%. There are still 3 1/2 weekends left to play and while I see both ASU and UO as bubble-type teams, when all is said and done, I just don't see both making it without a lot of other things happening.

Edited by godtomsatan

UCLA: W vs. OSU, W vs. UO: 12-2

Stanford: W vs. Cal: 11-3

Washington St.:W vs. ASU, W vs. UA : 10-5

USC: W vs. UO, W vs. OSU: 8-6

Washington: W vs. UA, W vs. ASU: 7-8

Arizona St.: L @ WSU, L @ UW: 6-8

Arizona: L @ UW, L @ WSU: 6-8

California: L @ Stanford: 6-8

Oregon: L @ USC, L @ UCLA: 6-9

Oregon St.: L @ UCLA, L @ USC: 0-15

Uh, 4-4 last night. :wacko:

What we learned this weekend: UW/WSU don't quite make it an Arizona sweep, and Oregon is not a tournament team.

Interesting matchups coming up this weekend:

1. LA schools go to the desert. Everyone pretty much needs to win all these matchups for a variety of reasons (UCLA for seeding, the others for tourney hopes).

2. WA schools to Bay Area. Cal needs a sweep to have any chance at a tourney berth. WSU needs to beat a good team for once.

3. Oregon St.'s last chance to get a win in conference vs. Oregon on Sunday.

What we learned this weekend: UW/WSU don't quite make it an Arizona sweep, and Oregon is not a tournament team.

Interesting matchups coming up this weekend:

1. LA schools go to the desert. Everyone pretty much needs to win all these matchups for a variety of reasons (UCLA for seeding, the others for tourney hopes).

2. WA schools to Bay Area. Cal needs a sweep to have any chance at a tourney berth. WSU needs to beat a good team for once.

3. Oregon St.'s last chance to get a win in conference vs. Oregon on Sunday.

yeah - it has been a tough year to sweep anyone on a given weekend, save OSU. Man, I watched the OU/UCLA game- and OU had them - and completley blew a golden opportunity. Up by 10 with 10 to play and they had UCLA flat, out of sync and primed to get beat. They completely didn't finish, Porter the midget PG was terrible, and they didnt utulize matchups they had to their advantage - UCLA was very beatable - OU blew it big time- adios

looks like 6 barring a miracle run by CAL/OU/UW in the tournament

yep- nice rally be Miami here of late....... let's not forget though

ACC 5/12 = 42%

Pac 6/10= 60%

Oh, I'm just talkint a little stuff. Although, I'm sure there were some years where the ACC got 5 out of 8 or 6 out of 9. Incedentally, (because I know this is a PAC-10 thread, watch out for Wake Forest. If they can work their way into the dance, they are dangerous. I believe that team will return just about everybody for next year and they are going ot be fierce. And if they can make the dance this year, they could easily make the sweet 16

What happened to Arizona last night? I don't get to watch enough Pac 10 because all the games start at 10:30 out here so I was pleasantly surprised to see the 9:00 ESPN game between USC / UA. Much better than that gawd awful MSU / Wiscy rock fight on the deuce.

That being said, USC looks decent and will definitely be in the tourney. Has Arizona considered the possibility that they could use one more impressive win besides WSU?? Losing at home really hurts them. UCLA up next.

What happened to Arizona last night? I don't get to watch enough Pac 10 because all the games start at 10:30 out here so I was pleasantly surprised to see the 9:00 ESPN game between USC / UA. Much better than that gawd awful MSU / Wiscy rock fight on the deuce.

That being said, USC looks decent and will definitely be in the tourney. Has Arizona considered the possibility that they could use one more impressive win besides WSU?? Losing at home really hurts them. UCLA up next.

UA is struggling- main reason is bc their PG Nic Wise is out, he is their energy guy, quick little solid PG. So Bayless has to handle the ball way too much, instead of being able to play off the ball where he is better suited. Budinger has been soft as hell lately - add those up, throw in a good USC team that is on the rise, and you have a nice home loss. USC is gonna be tough in the tourney yet again - Floyd is a damn good coach, and he always has his team playing tought defense

Yer right as much of a lock as they were - they need to get their chit together and win a few down the stretch.

That being said- pretty much put the Pac 10 down for 6 - UCLA/STAN/WSU/USC/UA/ASU

Did you catch Bayless dunk? was niiiiiiiiiiice - hope he stays around