[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pac-10 Hoops

godtomsatan

That being said- pretty much put the Pac 10 down for 6 - UCLA/STAN/WSU/USC/UA/ASU

No way an 18-13 Arizona or ASU team gets in the tournament.

The Pac-10 is looking harder and harder at only 4 teams barring a run by Arizona, ASU, Cal or Oregon in the tourney. You have to win games in order to make the dance. Something a few teams seem to have a hard time doing of late.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way an 18-13 Arizona or ASU team gets in the tournament.

The Pac-10 is looking harder and harder at only 4 teams barring a run by Arizona, ASU, Cal or Oregon in the tourney. You have to win games in order to make the dance. Something a few teams seem to have a hard time doing of late.

no way in hell the Pac 10 gets 4 in period. end of story.

again- I think yer nuts on this - now, they are fading, no question, and have to win a couple down the stretch.

BUT no team with UA's SOS at #1 and RPI of #21 has ever not made it, so as long as they don't completely fold- THEY ARE IN

ASU played s dogchit NC - but with W's vs Xavier, and UA twice, if they can win 2 of the last 3 and finish at .500 in the Pac 10- they are IN ALSO

this is not the Pac 10 of old, dayum- the reality is you finish at .500 you can basically punch yer ticket to the dance. UA has some leeway with their SOS, so 8-10 will get er done

no way in hell the Pac 10 gets 4 in period. end of story.

again- I think yer nuts on this - now, they are fading, no question, and have to win a couple down the stretch.

BUT no team with UA's SOS at #1 and RPI of #21 has ever not made it, so as long as they don't completely fold- THEY ARE IN

ASU played s dogchit NC - but with W's vs Xavier, and UA twice, if they can win 2 of the last 3 and finish at .500 in the Pac 10- they are IN ALSO

this is not the Pac 10 of old, dayum- the reality is you finish at .500 you can basically punch yer ticket to the dance. UA has some leeway with their SOS, so 8-10 will get er done

Something tells me that ASU is going to be left on the outside looking in. The Wildcats will get in. IMO, ASU needs to get to the PAC-10 Title game to get in.

Arizona had better win one of the next two on the road, or else they're not gonna make it. Toughest schedule or not, they've lost 5 in a row and have got to win both of the next two just to get to .500 in the PAC-10.

I was suprised at how dependent UCLA was on Love offensively. Reminds me of the Heels and Hansbrough last year.

Edited by billay

book it. Done deal . ASU is in with this W today

A win at home over the 4th place team in the conference books their ticket? After being absolutely drilled by the class of the league two nights prior?

I still say the Arizona schools need to both win 2 more to get in. Either sweep Oregon next weekend, or steal one in the tourney.

Arizona had better win one of the next two on the road, or else they're not gonna make it. Toughest schedule or not, they've lost 5 in a row and have got to win both of the next two just to get to .500 in the PAC-10.

Yeah, 2-6 in the last 8, 7-9 in conference, 17-12 overall....I think they need to sweep next weekend or they'll need to beat WSU.

I was suprised at how dependent UCLA was on Love offensively. Reminds me of the Heels and Hansbrough last year.

Collison and Westbrook are capable scorers. Love just had a monster game today.

If UA had played with that kind of intensity on Thursday night they would have beaten USC and not put themselves in this position.

How funny would it be, billay, if the ACC (in a down year) put 6 into the dance and the Pac-10 (supposedly the best conference in the land by far) only got 5?

:wacko:

If UA had played with that kind of intensity on Thursday night they would have beaten USC and not put themselves in this position.

How funny would it be, billay, if the ACC (in a down year) put 6 into the dance and the Pac-10 (supposedly the best conference in the land by far) only got 5?

:wacko:

Yeah, I might have to point out that fact, but i don't think its gonna happen. Maryland is dropping like a stone and the other ACC bubble teams all have to play each other in the remaining 2 games.

A win at home over the 4th place team in the conference books their ticket? After being absolutely drilled by the class of the league two nights prior?

yep. pretty much- all they have to do is split the Orgeon trip and they are in

I still say the Arizona schools need to both win 2 more to get in. Either sweep Oregon next weekend, or steal one in the tourney.

negative- again, a split and UA is in at 8-10. UA s firmly in- in fact, I think Lunardi had them as a 8,9 seed -

GTS - one factor youa re forgetting about- is the bubble is completely weak this year- many teams are stumbling to the finish line, and there are lot of teams with shaky resumes firmly on the bubble.

Pac 10 WILL get 6 - book it

Yeah, I might have to point out that fact, but i don't think its gonna happen. Maryland is dropping like a stone and the other ACC bubble teams all have to play each other in the remaining 2 games.

yep the ACC is looking at 5 max with Va Tech looking like the 5th team to get in

negative- again, a split and UA is in at 8-10. UA s firmly in- in fact, I think Lunardi had them as a 8,9 seed -

GTS - one factor youa re forgetting about- is the bubble is completely weak this year- many teams are stumbling to the finish line, and there are lot of teams with shaky resumes firmly on the bubble.

They may get in, but with a sub .500 record, it's hardly a done deal. Don;t get me wrong, I think they should be in the tourney, but the committee is supposedly looking more seriously at the final 10-12 games this year, and if so, that doesn;t bode well for the wildcats.

One factor you absolutely fail to acknowledge is that Arizona totally defines a team with a shaky resume. If they lose to Oregon, they finish in 7th place in the conference. They finish with 3 wins in their last 10 games. They would have an 8-10 conference record, and an 18-13 record overall.

Does Lunardi even have 6 Pac-10 teams in at this point?

There are 31 automatic berths in the NCAA tournament. That leaves 34 at-large teams. If you take this AM's RPI listings and remove the conference leaders from the equation, you are left with 5 Pac-10 teams (UCLA, Stanford, WSU, Arizona and USC; in RPI order). However, that same scenario would also conclude that C-USA is only getting 1 team, which isn't gong to happen.

I stand by what I said. The Arizona schools need two wins to get in. One each should happen in Corvallis this weekend. One more needs to happen either in Eugene, or in the P-10 tournament (and not a play-in game vs. OSU).

well, of course UA has a shaky resume, with 12 losses, that goes without saying.......... as an alum I am disgusted by the effort they are putting out- that team has zero interest in defending anyone

as of today Lunardi has UA/ASU as 9/10 seeds. Again, the rest of the bubble teams crawiling to the finish line, combined with the absolutely strong SOS/RPI for UA, and in ASU's case the overall strength of the Pac 10 will get them both in. * Also, they comittee factors in Bayless missing time, and now Wise being out for this poor stretch of games. UA at full strength is abolutely an NCAA tournament team, as is ASU

OSU is a gimme for both - so it would be nice to see them sweep Oregon, and get a W in the first rd of the Pac 10 tourney

Edited by wildcat2334

interesting- Lunardi has the ACC getting 6 as of now, with MD and VT both being in the last 4 to get in category.........

interesting- Lunardi has the ACC getting 6 as of now, with MD and VT both being in the last 4 to get in category.........

As much as I'd like that, I really don;t think it's going to happen. UMD should win it's last game against UVA, but you never know. VT has games against Wake and Clemson. If they lose both (which could happen) they'd finish at 8-8. Miami has games left against BC ans FSU. Somehow, between the remaining games, and the first 2 rounds of the ACC tourney, I think somebody is going to play their way out of the dance.

Stanford is gonna be tough........ they went into Pauley and beat UCLA, they got homered on the Collison call at the end of regulation.

With those Lopez boys, they grind you to death- just a b1tch of a team to play against.

Oregon hangin on by a thread............ UA/Oregon will be fun game this weekend

And illegal.

Looks like the Pac 10 refs did their best to keep UCLA the #1 seed in the west (First Stanford, then Cal). Anaheim in Round 1 and Phoenix in Round 2. Virtual home games to the Final 4 for UCLA. :wacko: Congrats.

effing embarassing is what it is. Start with Sanford on Thur- the refs blew that one by calling the foul on Collison to give him the chance to tie- should have never happened. So, the head of officiting comes down on the refs- so what do they do???

they go the complete other way and swallow their whistle and blow A) the obvious foul in the corner on Ryan Anderson, when UCLA WAS TRYING to foul him in that instance, a real obvious miss and then :D the ball was out of UCLA- an absolute joke and it should have never even gotten to the Shipp over the backboard fiasco......

the worst part of all this, karma baby karma, this will bite UCLA in the ass in the tournament at some point........

Love this time of year - conference tourneys comin up- solidify who is in and who is NIT bound.......

as of today Joey Brackets has the Pac getting 7 with ASU and Oregon getting in, with their ,500 Pac 10 record getting them over the hump

still work to be done, but 7 out of 10 would be outstanding!! and an NCAA record

Love this time of year - conference tourneys comin up- solidify who is in and who is NIT bound.......

as of today Joey Brackets has the Pac getting 7 with ASU and Oregon getting in, with their ,500 Pac 10 record getting them over the hump

still work to be done, but 7 out of 10 would be outstanding!! and an NCAA record

If all 3 of the #5, #6, and #7 seeds don't make it past the first round, you really think all 3 are in the dance? I'm asking as an observer of the conference. I know some doo$h with an inkling for what ought to happen has an opinion that doesn't even necessarily watch the games.

Even if you look at the RPI numbers, Arizona St. and Oregon aren't in the top 34 at-large teams right now, and the fact that Arizona is still at #31 despite going 3-7 in their last 10 calls into question how valid the RPI numbers are at this point.

I think it's safe to say that UCLA, Stanford, WSU, and USC are definitely in. Arizona, Oregon, and Arizona St. all have arguments, but I can't see all three making it without each of them getting into Saturday games. If all three lose on Friday, only one gets in, and each has pros and cons to offer as to which one that is.

Here's the schedule for the tourney:

Thursday (PDT)

Game 1 @ 6pm: #8 Washington vs. #9 California: NIT implications for the winner, perhaps.

Game 2 @ 8:30pm: #7 Arizona vs. #10 Oregon St.: OSU is first 0-18 team in P10 history. UA's tourney hopes require win.

Friday

Game 3 @ 12pm: #4 USC vs. #5 Arizona St.: I contend ASU needs a win here, while USC is in regardless.

Game 4 @ 2:30pm: #1 UCLA vs. winner Game 1: Washington beat UCLA in their last meeting, Cal almost beat them on Saturday. Bruins could use an early round blowout to rest the starters, but you never know if they'll be on cruise control or not.

Game 5 @ 6:00pm: #3 Washington St. vs. #6 Oregon: Another great matchup, with UO needing a win (IMO) to get in the dance.

Game 6 @ 8:30pm: #2 Stanford vs. winner Game 2: presumably vs. Arizona, which would mean a GREAT matchup with huge importance for the Wildcats (again, IMO).

Man, Friday has some great games: All 4 will likely have a great storyline going.

I'd love to see Arizona St. make a run, but beating USC and UCLA @ Staples is going to be tough back-to-back. I'm going to predict that UCLA will lose a game (either to Washington or USC) and that the winner of the Stanford/Arizona game will get into the finals. USC loses to Stanford, but will beat Arizona.