[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pac-10 Hoops

godtomsatan

Lute Olson will be back on the bench next year for the 'Cats. Good or bad?

I think it is good - if he comes back, and they have a final end date- I think it will be A) good for him to go out on a better note, and on his own terms :wacko: give a better transition. Now, that could potentially be a problem with O'Neill, not sure if he wants to wait in the wings unitl 2011 BUT I don't think he is that great of a head guy anyway- and this team has seriously underperfomed under him. I don't like his pro-sets he runs, and the players don't seem to be buying in, and playing hard for him.

I think if he isn't cool with waiting - fine- beat it. They could do better anyway - it is one of the best jobs in America not named Duke/Kansas/UNC

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a Pac-10 fan I was looking for a couple upsets in the 1st round this week to see if we could get Arizona, ASU and Oregon into the dance. With all 3 losing do all 3 get left out? Earlier I felt that ASU would have to win two in the Pac-10 tourney to get an invite but now with most of the "bubble" teams losing I still think they might get an invite. I don't feel the same way about Zona though. Oregon's out and I think the Wildcats are out but I do think the Sun Devils are going to get in. They have an impressive resume against TOP 25 teams and they beat the Wildcats twice. IMO, those two losses to ASU is going to be one of the biggest reasons the Wildcats will be going to the NIT.

I do think that Oregon and Arizona were teams that could win at least 1 game in the Big Dance but they sealed their fate this week. It was a great year in the Pac-10 though. The 3 best conferences this year has been the Pac-10, Big East and the Big 12. Looking forward to my favorite Sporting event of the year, March Madness! :wacko:

prof - you do realize that UA's profile is better than ASU's - the committee is not going to compare ASU v UA and give the nod to ASU b/c they beat them 2x. UA has 10 wins vs. the RPI top 100 which is way more than almost every other bubble team- I think they are IN

Yer right- with OU, ASU, UA losing- brutal for the Pac 10 -but the rest of the country has been even worse, and the bubble is so freakin soft that I think barring a major upset you may see all 3 get in.

So, wildcat is mostly right with the Pac-10 getting six teams, and the one major snub everyone is talking about is ASU. Anyway you slice it the Pac-10 can't complain too loudly, as the matchups indicate they may go 6-0 on Thursday and Friday, and have a real good shot at sending multiple teams to the Final Four.

UCLA a #1 seed in the West with a cakewalk from Anaheim to Phoenix, and a bracket where #2 through #4 are shaky and may not even make it through the first weekend. That's what happens when your AD is on the committee I guess. Only team that can keep them from a trip to San Antonio is themselves.

Stanford a #3 in the South region. Gets the Ivy League champ and a struggling Big East or SEC team in the first two rounds. If St. Mary's hasn't spent the last two weeks getting their poo together and puts on an epic run through Miami FL and Texas to get to the Sweet 16 in Houston, then the Longhorns await. I picked the Cardinal to get passed an (overrated) Texas team and have them losing to Memphis in the Elite 8.

Washington St. a #4 seed in the East. Great seeding for them, and a great bracket. No reason not to expect them to get into a Sweet 16 matchup with the Tar Heels in Charlotte. Winthrop took down Notre Dame last year in the 1st Round, but I don't see that happening to this group. ND/WSU could be a solid matchup, but I very much see a disciplined Cougar squad able to dispatch the Irish.

USC a #6 in the Midwest. Alright, I got Mayo fever. Is there a more attractive first round matchup than Beasley/Mayo? Quick answer: no. i got the Trojans getting into the Final 4. Call me crazy, but I like their road to the Sweet 16, and I think Georgetown and Kansas are ripe for the picking. This is a team that is peaking, and has everything, including star power, to make a run.

Oregon is a #9 seed in the South. I got them beating Miss St., I got them losing to Memphis. About right. Though there's something inherently creepy about Ernie Kent's ability to get his teams to perform in ways that keep the university from firing him. Making the tournament yet again is another achievement, beating a #1 seed gets him job security.

Arizona is a #10 seed in the West. I got them beating West Virginia, though it will be a great matchup. A fantastic second round Pac-10/ACC trash talking opportunity awaits if that happens. I can see the Wildcats getting past the Dookies. I can see them taking out Baylor or Georgia or whoever comes out of the weakest pod in the tournament, and that leaves them in an Elite 8 matchup with UCLA. With this team, as everyone has seen all season, nothing is ever as it seems, nor does it occur as it should. I suspect they win 1 to shut up the critics, then lose to Duke.

Another great accomplishment is the Pac-10 getting two more schools into the NIT.

Arizona St. is a #1 seed in some sort of bracket (is it west?) which means they get up to three home games. The first against Alabama St., the second against either S.Illinois or Oklahoma St.. If all goes as seeding plans, a matchup with Florida in Tempe awaits sometime next week.

Cal is a #4 seed, gets a home game vs. New Mexico on Wednesday, then a likely trip to Ohio St. over the weekend. I have great manlove for Ryan Anderson, and you never know how disappointed the Buckeyes are at getting a snub.

Stanford a #3 in the South region. Gets the Ivy League champ and a struggling Big East or SEC team in the first two rounds. If St. Mary's hasn't spent the last two weeks getting their poo together and puts on an epic run through Miami FL and Texas to get to the Sweet 16 in Houston, then the Longhorns await. I picked the Cardinal to get passed an (overrated) Texas team and have them losing to Memphis in the Elite 8.

Stanford is lacking the depth and guard play to get past Marquette. They don't make it to the Sweet 16.

Washington St. a #4 seed in the East. Great seeding for them, and a great bracket. No reason not to expect them to get into a Sweet 16 matchup with the Tar Heels in Charlotte. Winthrop took down Notre Dame last year in the 1st Round, but I don't see that happening to this group. ND/WSU could be a solid matchup, but I very much see a disciplined Cougar squad able to dispatch the Irish.

I agree with this. On the money!

USC a #6 in the Midwest. Alright, I got Mayo fever. Is there a more attractive first round matchup than Beasley/Mayo? Quick answer: no. i got the Trojans getting into the Final 4. Call me crazy, but I like their road to the Sweet 16, and I think Georgetown and Kansas are ripe for the picking. This is a team that is peaking, and has everything, including star power, to make a run.

I love SC too. I'm not sure if they have the consistency to get to the Final Four though? I think they have too much talent for Wisconsin. Their matchup with Georgetown in their 3rd round match up will be one of the best games of the tournament.

Oregon is a #9 seed in the South. I got them beating Miss St., I got them losing to Memphis. About right. Though there's something inherently creepy about Ernie Kent's ability to get his teams to perform in ways that keep the university from firing him. Making the tournament yet again is another achievement, beating a #1 seed gets him job security.

I agree with this too. The Ducks have 5 players that got a lot of minutes in last years dance and that should bode well in them beating MSU in a mild upset. If Porter's lightin' it up from outside, it's over.

Arizona is a #10 seed in the West. I got them beating West Virginia, though it will be a great matchup. A fantastic second round Pac-10/ACC trash talking opportunity awaits if that happens. I can see the Wildcats getting past the Dookies. I can see them taking out Baylor or Georgia or whoever comes out of the weakest pod in the tournament, and that leaves them in an Elite 8 matchup with UCLA. With this team, as everyone has seen all season, nothing is ever as it seems, nor does it occur as it should. I suspect they win 1 to shut up the critics, then lose to Duke.

Another great accomplishment is the Pac-10 getting two more schools into the NIT.

There is NO WAY that Zona beats West Virginia. No Way. They'll have no answer for Alexander and the Mountaineers are battle tested and too tough for the Mildcats. Besides, their only the 2nd best team in the state :wacko:

Stanford is lacking the depth and guard play to get past Marquette. They don't make it to the Sweet 16.

I dunno - Standford is a b1tch- they are gonna scratcha and fight for 40 minutes- Marquette is a wild card - depends who shows up but I think Stanford will take them

I agree with this. On the money!

werd- I like the Cougs draw

I love SC too. I'm not sure if they have the consistency to get to the Final Four though? I think they have too much talent for Wisconsin. Their matchup with Georgetown in their 3rd round match up will be one of the best games of the tournament.

SC is tough- they are gonna D you up like crazy- they are talented across the board- I think the key is Gibson- dood needs to step it up. Watched the UCLA/USC- Mayo is way too unselfish - he needs to take over more IMO

I agree with this too. The Ducks have 5 players that got a lot of minutes in last years dance and that should bode well in them beating MSU in a mild upset. If Porter's lightin' it up from outside, it's over.

jekyll and hyde- who knows- but they should beat MSU from a brutally bad SEC

There is NO WAY that Zona beats West Virginia. No Way. They'll have no answer for Alexander and the Mountaineers are battle tested and too tough for the Mildcats. Besides, their only the 2nd best team in the state :wacko:

Zona will take out WVU - who hasn't beaten hardly anyone this year - UA is the battle -tested team here, what you smokin prof????

UA has the potential to beat anyone- Hill is comin around and I think they have too many weapons for WVU - don't think they have enough for Dook though

I don;t understand the appeal of Wash. St. Their best OOC wins are Gonzaga and Baylor, and weren't able to beat either Stanford or UCLA.

They do not lose to inferior teams (except Cal). They are a total team unit that has been playing together for 3 years. Kyle Weaver is the one that might have the ability to take a game over, but it's not like they are the end all be all of hoops squads. They just got a solid draw that will see them get squashed by your Heels.

Come on Wildcat :wacko: ..... West Virginia plays in one of the toughest conferences in the country. Their wins include ... Marquette (by 15), Winthrop (by 17), Syracuse (by 20), Pittsburgh and U Conn. I think they'll handle a so so Arizona squad. Who's going to stop Alexander ? .... Budinger :D

Edited by theprofessor

I don;t understand the appeal of Wash. St. Their best OOC wins are Gonzaga and Baylor, and weren't able to beat either Stanford or UCLA.

fair point - to be honest I have them behind USC, STAN in NCAA Pac 10 pecking order. They are just very well coached and will not beat themselves which is a nice benefit in the dance - plus they have good expierence.

That being said- their margin for error is slim- not the most talented group- Zona beat them twice without much trouble - a team with good perimeter players and guards can give them alot of trouble. Bayless/Budinger tore them up-

They do not lose to inferior teams (except Cal). They are a total team unit that has been playing together for 3 years. Kyle Weaver is the one that might have the ability to take a game over, but it's not like they are the end all be all of hoops squads. They just got a solid draw that will see them get squashed by your Heels.

Something about the crew from WSU. They play the game the right way. They play tough Defense and their in every game because of their defense. Teams "sleep" on them because they have no superstar but those same teams usually end up on the wrong side of the scoreboard.

They play the game smart and sometimes almost fundamentally flawless. While they don't have the talent to beat down a lot of teams, they also are rarely out of a game. They should have been beaten by 20+ by Standford in the conference tournament yet managed to stay within 5-6 points most of the game despite one of there most mistake prone games they have played this season.

Wow, the College Basketball Invitational....the CBI....a new 16-team collegiate post-season tournament....for those not good enough to get in the NIT....has a 9th Pac-10 team involved in post-season play: Washington hosts Valparaiso on Wednesday, facing the winner of Nevada and Houston later in the week.

Wow, the College Basketball Invitational....the CBI....a new 16-team collegiate post-season tournament....for those not good enough to get in the NIT....has a 9th Pac-10 team involved in post-season play: Washington hosts Valparaiso on Wednesday, facing the winner of Nevada and Houston later in the week.

Too early for Brockman to be ready? More playing time for the young guys to get ready for next year. I would love to see Lorenzo give Overton the start.

Too early for Brockman to be ready? More playing time for the young guys to get ready for next year. I would love to see Lorenzo give Overton the start.

That's the early word....There is an influx of young talent due at Montlake next season, and with a returning stud like Brockman to lead them, it would be nice to see these guys gel a bit for another week or so.

That's the early word....There is an influx of young talent due at Montlake next season, and with a returning stud like Brockman to lead them, it would be nice to see these guys gel a bit for another week or so.

Frankly, I'd accept a frickin' free throw once in awhile.

Romar lucked out with a hugely difficult Pac-10 this year. He's on a 1 yr watch a la Willingham as far as I'm concerned.

NIT has Cal @ Ohio St. on Monday and ASU gets Florida next Tuesday.

Makes up for disappointment with Arizona, Oregon, and SC and the early exits in the tournament.

As does the dominance Wazzu has shown in the first two rounds. Their reward? A trip to Charlotte to (likely) face North Carolina.

I'm trying to wait until this stanford/marquette game is done to post. Trent Johnson better hope he doesn't get canned as a result of today's game. Brook Lopez just hit a great shot with 1.2 left to win it in OT. Pac-10 2, Big East 1.

• 3 weeks later...

Lost in that story is the fact that Joe Alleva was lured away from Duke to be LSU's new AD. That's about as stupid a move as you'll find. Duke's basketball success clouds the fact that, aside from that, their sports programs are a joke. In most sports, they even suck relative other schools of their kind. Stanford excels at tons of sports despite having an enrollment of half what Duke's is and the same lofty academic standards. Wake Forest, down the road won the ACC just the other year despite being about 1/3 the size and also not letting in idiots. We'll see how Cutcliff does but Football's not the only sport they suck at.

One of the sports they're actually good at is Lacrosse and, well, Joe didn't exactly handle that one too well. Just made the coach a scape goat for the fact that Alleva himself ignored tons of warnings from the faculty about getting that program in line.

I just can't imagine what a major sports school like LSU is thinking bringing that guy on.