[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Romney to quit race?

polksalet

none of the above. the conservative media elites (that is fun to say :wacko:) hate huckabee as much as mccain. it would get them a little traction with bible-beaters, but there really is very little advantage to putting huckabee on the ticket.

Depends on who he's running against. IMO, McCain would be better off running with somebody moderate if he goes after Hillary, as none of the Bible-beaters will vote for her anyway and he'd chip further into the moderate vote. However, if McCain goes up against Obama, he's going to need to pander to the Bible-beaters because he won't necessarily get their votes by default.

Also, the "conservative media elites" have shown that they're completely out of touch with mainstream conservatives and independents. I'm not sure why they hate Huckabee so much, but the primary results thus far have shown that their influence has been minimal.

I thought he was speaking to his base as he often does. I didn't see it as a plan of action.

+1

Edited by Bill Swerski

I like Huckabee. :D

the more i've seen of him, the more i like him as well. he comes off as a genuinely nice, smart guy, and a reasonably effective politician. but i still don't really want a fundamentalist in the white house, or as the standard-bearer for the republican party. he is something of an economic populist, and a social conservative, which is the worst of both worlds from my perspective, so i would have a hard time ever supporting him even though i am beginning to genuinely "like" him. sorta how i view obama as well. the obama/huckabee debates would be very engaging and enjoyable. but then one of them would get the reigns of the country :wacko:

I think that we'll be looking at a McCain/Huckabee ticket later this year.

Only if McCain is determined to commit electoral suicide. I think that's a gift to the Dems as there isn't a single Dem anywhere that would want Huckabee one step away from the Oval Office.

Only if McCain is determined to commit electoral suicide. I think that's a gift to the Dems as there isn't a single Dem anywhere that would want Huckabee one step away from the Oval Office.

You're painting with way too broad a brush. Not all Dems are wealthy atheists. However, quite a few of them don't like Hillary very much and like McCain's moderate platform.

You're painting with way too broad a brush. Not all Dems are wealthy atheists. However, quite a few of them don't like Hillary very much and like McCain's moderate platform.

I would say most are amazed at all the hate both Clintons get from the right and don't want that battle again. I don't think it's her they don't like as much as the battle another Clinton presidency would see.

I would say most are amazed at all the hate both Clintons get from the right and don't want that battle again. I don't think it's her they don't like as much as the battle another Clinton presidency would see.

I'd say that people on both sides are just sick of their sleaziness and want to move forward from the scandals they were involved in. While I agree that the piling-on from the right wing is a bit much, they have ample reason to dislike them.

Not to take away from what Obama has accomplished thus far, but going up against Hillary has probably helped his campaign more than it's hindered it.

the more i've seen of him, the more i like him as well. he comes off as a genuinely nice, smart guy, and a reasonably effective politician. but i still don't really want a fundamentalist in the white house, or as the standard-bearer for the republican party. he is something of an economic populist, and a social conservative, which is the worst of both worlds from my perspective, so i would have a hard time ever supporting him even though i am beginning to genuinely "like" him. sorta how i view obama as well. the obama/huckabee debates would be very engaging and enjoyable. but then one of them would get the reigns of the country :wacko:

Coulter and Limbaugh would be a better ticket than W and Cheney! :D

It's remotely possible that she might go up against a McCain/Lieberman ticket. Old Joe's been hanging out on stage with Mac during his victory speeches. :wacko:

I can't remember who said it...but it rang true to me. Hannity, Limbaugh, and other radio personalities have trashed McCain but have nothing but praise for Lieberman....even though when you compare McCain to Lieberman....McCain looks like Strom Thurmond. I think I was listening to Bob Dole on some talk show say that.

I can't remember who said it...but it rang true to me. Hannity, Limbaugh, and other radio personalities have trashed McCain but have nothing but praise for Lieberman....even though when you compare McCain to Lieberman....McCain looks like Strom Thurmond. I think I was listening to Bob Dole on some talk show say that.

I was driving to the airport about a year and a half ago and listening to Rush because there was nothing better on. This was right in the middle of Lieberman heated contest with Ned Lamont and, while Rush said some nice things about Joe, he didn't exactly "praise" him. The conservative talk pundits like Lieberman because he strongly supports the war and because he's conservative for a Dem... but they don't exactly embrace him with open arms. I think that they're harder on McCain because he's supposed to be "one of them."

Edited by Bill Swerski

i almost posted something to that effect the other day. those blowhards don't care a lick about actual positions, they only care how you play the "team" game. a republican who finds common ground with the other side is the most vile, hated traitor imagineable. but a democrat who breaks ranks is to be lavishly praised for his courage and independence.

and let's not pretend that democrats aren't the same exact way. look how lieberman has been excoriated from the left. also, for years, democrats have been saying "now that mccain is a republican i could vote for" and now that he is looking like the nominee they are inventing reasons not to vote for him. most of the lefties around here have had nothing but positive things to say about mccain over the past several years, and nothing but negative things to say about hillary.....but most of them will vote for hillary if that is the choice.

Now I really hope Bloomberg runs. Though he is left of center regarding social issues, I'd vote for him, just because I want to give the finger to the Republican party for forgetting that they are supposed to be conservative, and I really don't want to vote for O'Clinton.

• 4 years later...