[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm Entering a Chili Cookoff

SheikYerbuti

This is my very traditional Chili recipe (i.e. just meat). You can dump whatever crap you want into it afterwards and call it what you want, but this recipe has won me accolades and a couple of local chili cookoffs. There's heat, but it isn't over done. This is the important part. Unless otherwise stated, the chili powder must be Gebhardts. The New Mexico hot chili powder is distinctly different from the Gebhardt's and it adds just a bit of a sharper bite. Same with the jalapeno powder. I like the red jalapeno slightly better but both red or green work well. I've worked on this recipe for a long time now, this is the first time I've shared it. Y'all should feel really good about yourselves.

Brown 4 lbs meat (I use tri-tip but you can use and good cut of meat, if you go the ground beef route make it as lean as possible) with 3 tsp salt and 1 1/2 tsp white pepper in your chili pot. Add the following and simmer for 1 1/2 hours:

32 oz chicken broth

1 can tomato sauce

1 small can Spicey V-8

2 tbs Gebhardt's chili powder

1 tbs onion powder

2 tsp garlic powder

Add the following and simmer for 1/2 hour:

5 tsp cumin

1 tbs Tabasco Sauce

1 tbs Gebhardt's chili powder

1 1/2 tsp Tabasco Sauce

1 tsp New Mexico hot chili powder

1/4 tsp jalapeno powder

salt to taste

5 tsp arrowroot mixed with water to form a paste (a thickening agent)

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp brown sugar

1/2 tsp jalapeno powder

1/2 tsp cumin

salt to taste

Made the future award winning chili yesterday. . .put in one seeded long pepper and one seeded chipoltle, both minced.

Not hot enough.

Put in a second long pepper and chipoltle.

Not hot enough.

Put in a third chipoltle.

TOO HOT! :wacko:

It's perfect for the hottest category, but I really have hopes of winning best in show too. It's in the fridge, and I'm going to try some today in the hopes that the heat will have mellowed out overnight. If it's still too hot, I guess I'll make a double batch to try to dilude the heat a bit.

wouldn't count on the chili being milder today---unless you added more quantity the heat probably increased--

I was going to say much the same thing.

Final results

So there were 9 chilis in the contest, and amazingly only 2 of them were beef. When tasting started, I realized I put myself in a hole because there were at least 3 vegetarians there. Not being beef eaters, they couldn't taste my chili. That means votes lost. So, I didn't have high hopes.

Well, my chili won the hot catagory, and came in 2nd in the overall. And the winner of the overall? The other beef chili. So much for the vegan conspiracy. . . :wacko: The winner and I had very similar recipes. She put both cocoa powder and 70% chocolate in hers, and I think it put her over the top. Very good stuff. However, hers had beans in it. . . :D

Final results

So there were 9 chilis in the contest, and amazingly only 2 of them were beef. When tasting started, I realized I put myself in a hole because there were at least 3 vegetarians there. Not being beef eaters, they couldn't taste my chili. That means votes lost. So, I didn't have high hopes.

Well, my chili won the hot catagory, and came in 2nd in the overall. And the winner of the overall? The other beef chili. So much for the vegan conspiracy. . . :wacko: The winner and I had very similar recipes. She put both cocoa powder and 70% chocolate in hers, and I think it put her over the top. Very good stuff. However, hers had beans in it. . . :D

:D

Only 2 were beef. Nice contest.

Congrats.

Final results

You got beat by a girl?

:D

Only 2 were beef. Nice contest.

Yeah, slightly ghey. I think the breakdown was 2 beef, 1 chicken, 1 turkey, 1 pork, and FOUR veggie chilis. Friggin hippies. Shouldn't have been a surprise that the 2 beef ones took win and place.

Congratulations! Next time Best in Show!!!

But seriously... what the hell are 3 vegans doing judging a chili contest?

Everyone there was allowed to vote. Only rule was you couldn't vote for your own chili.

You got beat by a girl?

:wacko:

What was your final recipe... care to share it here, or is it a secret?

I get far too many culinary ideas on this board to keep secrets. So, here it is:

The 2nd Best Chili in New Jersey

1 big ass chuck steak

1 large onion, chopped

2 stalks celery, chopped

1 large carrot, chopped

6 cloves of garlic, pressed

1 package Carol Shelby chili spice

2 28 oz cans of whole tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped

2 14.5 oz cans chicken broth

3 tbsp cinnamon

3 tbsp brown sugar

3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo, seeded and minced

2 long red chili peppers, seeded and minced

vegetable oil

Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large dutch oven. Season big ass chuck steak on both sides with S&P, then sear on both sides. Remove and set aside (the middle will still be rare). Add onion, celery and carrot and cook over medium high heat while scraping up fond. Add Carol Shelby spice packet and masa flour packet (do not add salt or cayenne packets) and continue to cook until veggies start to get soft. Add garlic and cook just until fragrant (about a minute). Add tomatoes and broth. Stir to combine. Add brown sugar and cinnamon. Add chipotle and chili peppers SLOWLY, tasting as you go for desired heat. Cover dutch oven and place in a 275 degree oven for 1 hour. Trim the fat off the chuck steak and make 1 inch cubes out of the lean meat. Add to dutch oven and cook another half an hour.

For best taste, refrigerate overnight and reheat the next day.

Serves approximately one city block.

3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo, seeded and minced

I think this might be the missing "x factor" in my chili. I'm going to have to use this ingredient and see where it takes it.

The main difference in my chili is that I use a homemade cajun seasoning blend, chili powder, cumin, cocoa, and a stout beer.

I think this might be the missing "x factor" in my chili. I'm going to have to use this ingredient and see where it takes it.

The main difference in my chili is that I use a homemade cajun seasoning blend, chili powder, cumin, cocoa, and a stout beer.

try it without the beer.

• 1 year later...
This is my very traditional Chili recipe (i.e. just meat). You can dump whatever crap you want into it afterwards and call it what you want, but this recipe has won me accolades and a couple of local chili cookoffs. There's heat, but it isn't over done. This is the important part. Unless otherwise stated, the chili powder must be Gebhardts. The New Mexico hot chili powder is distinctly different from the Gebhardt's and it adds just a bit of a sharper bite. Same with the jalapeno powder. I like the red jalapeno slightly better but both red or green work well. I've worked on this recipe for a long time now, this is the first time I've shared it. Y'all should feel really good about yourselves.

Brown 4 lbs meat (I use tri-tip but you can use and good cut of meat, if you go the ground beef route make it as lean as possible) with 3 tsp salt and 1 1/2 tsp white pepper in your chili pot. Add the following and simmer for 1 1/2 hours:

32 oz chicken broth

1 can tomato sauce

1 small can Spicey V-8

1 tbs onion powder

2 tsp garlic powder

5 tsp cumin

1 tbs Tabasco Sauce

1 1/2 tsp Tabasco Sauce

1/4 tsp jalapeno powder

salt to taste

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp brown sugar

1/2 tsp jalapeno powder

1/2 tsp cumin

salt to taste

Are the bolded items above easily found in any grocery store?

Are the bolded items above easily found in any grocery store?

The New Mexico chili powder and and jalapeno powder are pretty easy to come by. As far as the Gebhardts, I've only ever been able to get it via mail order thru Hometown Favorites. You can substitute regular chili powder in place of the Gebhardts but it makes a hugh difference IMO.

The New Mexico chili powder and and jalapeno powder are pretty easy to come by. As far as the Gebhardts, I've only ever been able to get it via mail order thru Hometown Favorites. You can substitute regular chili powder in place of the Gebhardts but it makes a hugh difference IMO.

you can get all 3 here

Edited by Yukon Cornelius

32 oz chicken broth

1 can tomato sauce

1 small can Spicey V-8

1 tbs onion powder

2 tsp garlic powder

5 tsp cumin

1 tbs Tabasco Sauce

1 1/2 tsp Tabasco Sauce

1/4 tsp jalapeno powder

salt to taste

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp brown sugar

1/2 tsp jalapeno powder

1/2 tsp cumin

salt to taste

Is the 'heat' in this good enough for one pot of chili?

I'm going to make my usual chili but instead of the chili peppers I normally use, I'm going to substitute your heat (jalapeno powder, mexican chili powder and tobasco) - I just don't want it to be too much, so I'm hoping this is for one pot.

Is the 'heat' in this good enough for one pot of chili?

I'm going to make my usual chili but instead of the chili peppers I normally use, I'm going to substitute your heat (jalapeno powder, mexican chili powder and tobasco) - I just don't want it to be too much, so I'm hoping this is for one pot.

Yes, this heat is good, but not overpowering. Don't forget the can of Spicy V8. That helps the heat as well.