[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Horse Racing

godtomsatan

Any interest in a "fantasy league"? I think there might be a site to use, but it wouldn't be too terribly hard to commish something either if the number of entrants was reasonable enough.

The idea behind it would be to pick a "race of the week" kind of thing where each player has $10 to spend on bets for that particular race. You could do $2 win/$4 show/$4 exacta, or a $10 trifecta, or however you want to spend the $10. Obviously, a good time to start would be March, when the Triple Crown preps get real serious, and it would make sense to go through the Breeder's Cup in October.

Or other thoughts on how to do something like this would be appreciated....

Any interest in a "fantasy league"? I think there might be a site to use, but it wouldn't be too terribly hard to commish something either if the number of entrants was reasonable enough.

The idea behind it would be to pick a "race of the week" kind of thing where each player has $10 to spend on bets for that particular race. You could do $2 win/$4 show/$4 exacta, or a $10 trifecta, or however you want to spend the $10. Obviously, a good time to start would be March, when the Triple Crown preps get real serious, and it would make sense to go through the Breeder's Cup in October.

I would love to be in ...i will also see if i can find or come up with ideas on how to run this

If you figure this out and it's not crazy expensive, I'm in. :wacko: Sounds fun.

Interesting. And with the Virtual Stable at Equibase feature, something like that, where you draft a stable of horses, is totally possible. I guess that's more of the true "fantasy sports" angle to all of it, rather than a betting angle of it all like I proposed.

However, I'm not sure players here (even me) follow racing truly hard enough to have an idea of who's got a chance to run in the BC or the Graded Stakes races throughout the summer. I mean, I like looking at PPs and reading about the buildup to a race, but I'm not sure I got the stamina to follow the sport all the way through with an entire stable of horses. Though now my head is spinning with ideas of a "keeper league" and drafting 2 yr olds....

Doing the betting angle gives everyone a shot to participate every week, and if you choose, to take a week off as a big score one week likely buys you several weeks of participation. Usually DRF's website provides free past performance data for a "race of the week", which gives everyone a shot to look at the same info.

Doing the betting angle gives everyone a shot to participate every week, and if you choose, to take a week off as a big score one week likely buys you several weeks of participation. Usually DRF's website provides free past performance data for a "race of the week", which gives everyone a shot to look at the same info.

I like this idea alot. I just threw that link out there b/c it was the first thig I found doing a quick search. I think with the betting angle you could even have a week or 2 for the standard breds like Byoder was talking about. I think it's a great idea but I'm not sure how to set something like this up.

I'd imagine if guys like Gilthorp, Tboogs etc. (guys that I remember posting in horse racing threads) caught wind of this we could could get enough interest to make it work.

I like this idea alot. I just threw that link out there b/c it was the first thig I found doing a quick search. I think with the betting angle you could even have a week or 2 for the standard breds like Byoder was talking about. I think it's a great idea but I'm not sure how to set something like this up.

I'd imagine if guys like Gilthorp, Tboogs etc. (guys that I remember posting in horse racing threads) caught wind of this we could could get enough interest to make it work.

I like godtomsatan's idea to designate one race each week for everyone to bet on. A couple of thoughts. If we could get a forum we could just let everyone post their picks in a thread each week and someone could keep track of wins/losses manually. It wouldn't be too much work since we would only need to watch one race per week. Also, I would like to see the amount each person has to spend bumped up to $50 or $100 to allow a few more betting options.

I like godtomsatan's idea to designate one race each week for everyone to bet on. A couple of thoughts. If we could get a forum we could just let everyone post their picks in a thread each week and someone could keep track of wins/losses manually. It wouldn't be too much work since we would only need to watch one race per week. Also, I would like to see the amount each person has to spend bumped up to $50 or $100 to allow a few more betting options.

I did'nt word my last post very well but I meant I like GTS' idea. I did the Road to the Roses ( where you pick a stable of horses, 2 jocks and a trainer)before and it's too much work trying to keep track of whose running when.

I did'nt word my last post very well but I meant I like GTS' idea. I did the Road to the Roses ( where you pick a stable of horses, 2 jocks and a trainer)before and it's too much work trying to keep track of whose running when.

I understood what you meant. I was just trying to agree with you and throw out a couple of ideas.

BTW, when do some of the bigger prep races start? If possible we should try to get this going before then.

I understood what you meant. I was just trying to agree with you and throw out a couple of ideas.

BTW, when do some of the bigger prep races start? If possible we should try to get this going before then.

That's why I kind of thought of it now.....the major preps start with the Louisiana Derby March 8th. That gives us about 10 days to form something. So far we got 3 people interested :wacko: and I know gilthorp is busy with a new addition to the family right now....let me check and see with some of the other railbirds around these parts to see if they are interested or have some feedback.

That's why I kind of thought of it now.....the major preps start with the Louisiana Derby March 8th. That gives us about 10 days to form something. So far we got 3 people interested :D and I know gilthorp is busy with a new addition to the family right now....let me check and see with some of the other railbirds around these parts to see if they are interested or have some feedback.

Maybe we could post something about it in the tailgate or the find a league forum. :wacko:

I wouldn't be interested in doing a race a week. I would be interested in playing selected Grade 1 races over the course of the year.

X amount for each Grade 1, and then for the BC, not having to play all races, but having a certain amount you have to play for the day.

Also, in doing this in the past, there has to be an email address that's a collection device so there's no copying.

I wouldn't be interested in doing a race a week. I would be interested in playing selected Grade 1 races over the course of the year.

X amount for each Grade 1, and then for the BC, not having to play all races, but having a certain amount you have to play for the day.

Also, in doing this in the past, there has to be an email address that's a collection device so there's no copying.

Hammering out a schedule of events might be the best way to do it. I agree that G2 and G3 races probably aren't going to be something worth looking at early on with this. The other issue is that I think we're looking at 4 or 5 people with interest in doing this right now, and that's hardly enough for a consistent kind of thing, but I don't mind the idea of going with a trial and error sort of deal to work out some details.

Looking at the schedule, March has the Derby Preps, yes, but Classic types, not really. A good weekend to start might be the 29th with either the Dubai race or the Florida Derby.

April is pretty light also, with the Wood and SA Derby on the 5th, and the Blue Grass on the 12th being the clearcut top races to watch for the month.

May has the Kentucky Derby on the 3rd, the Preakness on the 17th, and the Metropolitan on Memorial Day the 26th.

June has the Belmont on the 7th, the Stephen Foster @ CD on the 14th, and either the Suburban Handicap or Mother Goose @ BEL on the 28th.

For July and August there is at least a G1 each week, with distance/surface mixtures to make things interesting.

Of course one factor for doing this is the PPs and what not. DRF (generally) offers a free PP a week for top races. This is either a factor or not in picking races and that's something we can decide I suppose....

Hammering out a schedule of events might be the best way to do it. I agree that G2 and G3 races probably aren't going to be something worth looking at early on with this. The other issue is that I think we're looking at 4 or 5 people with interest in doing this right now, and that's hardly enough for a consistent kind of thing, but I don't mind the idea of going with a trial and error sort of deal to work out some details.

Looking at the schedule, March has the Derby Preps, yes, but Classic types, not really. A good weekend to start might be the 29th with either the Dubai race or the Florida Derby.

April is pretty light also, with the Wood and SA Derby on the 5th, and the Blue Grass on the 12th being the clearcut top races to watch for the month.

May has the Kentucky Derby on the 3rd, the Preakness on the 17th, and the Metropolitan on Memorial Day the 26th.

June has the Belmont on the 7th, the Stephen Foster @ CD on the 14th, and either the Suburban Handicap or Mother Goose @ BEL on the 28th.

For July and August there is at least a G1 each week, with distance/surface mixtures to make things interesting.

Of course one factor for doing this is the PPs and what not. DRF (generally) offers a free PP a week for top races. This is either a factor or not in picking races and that's something we can decide I suppose....

Whatever you wanna do GTS. It's the offseason, baseball has'nt started, my local OTW went under and I'm bored. :D

ETA: I can't even golf in this weather. :wacko:

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

Whatever you wanna do GTS. It's the offseason, baseball has'nt started, my local OTW went under and I'm bored. :D

ETA: I can't even golf in this weather. :wacko:

I realize this is the time of year to get adventurous. :D

That gives us what, 6? :wacko:

6 or 7....depending. It would be funner if we got more people involved, but this may not be the best forum to attract folks.

I have a temporary schedule made out. 20 races, plus the Breeders' Cup, spread out between April and October. No more than 1 per weekend. That includes all the marquee G1 events over the spring/summer, however there are "non-Classic" races for Fillies, a couple sprints, a Dirt Mile, and one or two Turf races. If we limit it to the Classic races, there are only 11 between the Wood Memorial and the Breeders Cup.

6 or 7....depending. It would be funner if we got more people involved, but this may not be the best forum to attract folks.

I have a temporary schedule made out. 20 races, plus the Breeders' Cup, spread out between April and October. No more than 1 per weekend. That includes all the marquee G1 events over the spring/summer, however there are "non-Classic" races for Fillies, a couple sprints, a Dirt Mile, and one or two Turf races. If we limit it to the Classic races, there are only 11 between the Wood Memorial and the Breeders Cup.

As far as I'm concerned, we could do a $5,000 claiming race at Philly Park. :wacko:

As far as I'm concerned, we could do a $5,000 claiming race at Philly Park. :D

+1 but can we add in a $3,000 claimer from Lebanon one week? :wacko:

btw, if you choose some races that don't have free pp's I might be able to get a copy that I can send out.