[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The next Ice Age

McBoog

From a Canadian Newspaper

Snow cover over North America and much of Siberia, Mongolia and China is greater than at any time since 1966...

China is surviving its most brutal winter in a century. Temperatures in the normally balmy south were so low for so long that some middle-sized cities went days and even weeks without electricity because once power lines had toppled it was too cold or too icy to repair them...

In just the first two weeks of February, Toronto received 70 cm of snow, smashing the record of 66.6 cm for the entire month set back in the pre-SUV, pre-Kyoto, pre-carbon footprint days of 1950...

And remember the Arctic Sea ice? The ice we were told so hysterically last fall had melted to its "lowest levels on record? Never mind that those records only date back as far as 1972 and that there is anthropological and geological evidence of much greater melts in the past.

The ice is back.

Gilles Langis, a senior forecaster with the Canadian Ice Service in Ottawa, says the Arctic winter has been so severe the ice has not only recovered, it is actually 10 to 20 cm thicker in many places than at this time last year...

It's a side effect of global warming! :moon:

It is the SUN STOOPID. And yes Bushwhakko, another posted chain mail :wacko:

Last month, Oleg Sorokhtin, a fellow of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences, shrugged off manmade climate change as "a drop in the bucket." Showing that solar activity has entered an inactive phase, Prof. Sorokhtin advised people to "stock up on fur coats."

He is not alone. Kenneth Tapping of our own National Research Council, who oversees a giant radio telescope focused on the sun, is convinced we are in for a long period of severely cold weather if sunspot activity does not pick up soon.

The last time the sun was this inactive, Earth suffered the Little Ice Age that lasted about five centuries and ended in 1850. Crops failed through killer frosts and drought. Famine, plague and war were widespread. Harbours froze, so did rivers, and trade ceased.

And on a lighter note:

As ethanol demand grows, so does 'Dead Zone' in Gulf of Mexico

The crop that is bringing prosperity to farmers is making it harder for commercial fishermen in Louisiana to make a living.

U.S. farmers this spring planted the most acreage with corn since 1944, after demand for ethanol pushed the grain's price to a 10-year high.

That has increased the level of farm waste flowing into the Mississippi River basin, which scientists blame for creating a pocket along the Louisiana coast where shrimp and other sea life cannot survive.

The Gulf of Mexico's so-called Dead Zone is expected to cover a record 8,543 square miles, or 22,126 square kilometers, this year and stretch into waters off Texas, said Nancy Rabalais, chief scientist for a study team at the Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium. Researchers are measuring the zone this week from boats.

"This is an area the size of New Jersey or potentially bigger where nothing can live," said Matt Rota, a program director at the Gulf Restoration Network, a coalition of environmental and civic groups. "If this were happening in the middle of the country, people would be outraged."

or,

FROM "The Daily Green, The consumer's guide to the green revolution"

The dead zone of lifeless water in the Gulf of Mexico could exceed the largest size ever recorded, in 27 years of monitoring, a team of federal and university scientists said today. At 8,500 square miles -- roughly the size of New Jersey -- it has the potential to be more than 75% larger than the 4,800-square mile average recorded since 1990, and more than 25 % bigger than last year's 6,662-square mile zone.

Yeah! Now THAT ETHANOL THINGY was the right solution. :D Take the technology and make it cleaner and more efficient please, or change it all together. What made these Bozos think that adding a NEW fuel source to the equation would help? To some of life's problems there are no solutions, only consequences to actions taken. Consequence management is the key to success!

OH,

And Gore won a Pulitzer AND an Oscar for that BS Shockumentary!!! :D

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Gore won a Pulitzer AND an Oscar for that BS Shockumentary!!!

Okay, first off, why say moronic things like this? You just make yourself out to be quivering h8tank shaped vagina.

Secondly, I dont care which way the temperature is fluctuating wildly to. An absolutley unstable climate is not a good sign. We dont understand most of what affects our global climate yet. But in my uneducated opinion, breaking the all time high and low average temperatures in a single decade is not a good thing and needs to be studied.

Thirdly, your ethanol argument is absolute bullshlt. The harmful runoff is caused by irresponsible farming practices. If people werent so against geneticly modified crops we wouldnt need nearly the ammount of pesticides and nitrates that are so damaging to our water resources. And dont forget, all that runoff isnt from corn production exclusively, im sure.

Figuring out what will make our bloated existence sustainable will take a lot of effort and sacrafice by everyone. But I guess youre content to keep ignoring the real problems and just blame it on the sun. Reminds me of the mindset of a number of extinct populations. :wacko:

Edited by DemonKnight

Okay, first off, why say moronic things like this? You just make yourself out to be quivering h8tank shaped vagina.

Secondly, I dont care which way the temperature is fluctuating wildly to. An absolutley unstable climate is not a good sign. We dont understand most of what affects our global climate yet. But in my uneducated opinion, breaking the all time high and low average temperatures in a single decade is not a good thing and needs to be studied.

Thirdly, your ethanol argument is absolute bullshlt. The harmful runoff is caused by irresponsible farming practices. If people werent so against geneticly modified crops we wouldnt need nearly the ammount of pesticides and nitrates that are so damaging to our water resources. And dont forget, all that runoff isnt from corn production exclusively, im sure.

Figuring out what will make our bloated existence sustainable will take a lot of effort and sacrafice by everyone. But I guess youre content to keep ignoring the real problems and just blame it on the sun. Reminds me of the mindset of a number of extinct populations. :wacko:

Yer funny! I am one of the biggest proponents on these boards to be as green as possible. It is logical to keep the environment as clean for us and everything else we share the planet with. Start your car in a closed garage and sit there for an hour or two for me bud. Then tell me we shouldn't have cleaner burning vehicles. OOOOPPPS! Sorry, you couldn't because you would be DEAD!

I am not, however, going to buy into the hysterical "hate the human" bad science.

If you read the articles (which you clearly didn't before sharing your "UNEDUCATED OPINION"), they show you that the corn is being mass produced to keep up with the demand for ethanol, not genetically perfect hybrids. The "irresponsible farming practices" would be moot if it wasn't for the incredible demand that ethanol as a supplement to our thirstly need for a cheap and unlimited gas supply has caused added to the fact that it is a major food source. Maybe we should stop eating corn products in protest? :D

You are right, you do have a VERY uneducated opinion about this topic.

Sorry I went H8 on your esteemed idol of an ex-president. The vagina ref was appropriate too! Showed me right off where you are coming from... nowhere! As much as you call the ethanol argument BS, I feel the same way about te inventor of the internet's "science". If you buy into that, cool, I don't think you are a vagina, just very, well, as you say in your own words... "uneducated".

If you read the articles (which you clearly didn't before sharing your "UNEDUCATED OPINION"), they show you that the corn is being mass produced to keep up with the demand for ethanol, not genetically perfect hybrids. The "irresponsible farming practices" would be moot if it wasn't for the incredible demand that ethanol as a supplement to our thirstly need for a cheap and unlimited gas supply has caused added to the fact that it is a major food source. Maybe we should stop eating corn products in protest? :wacko:

so when they switch to switchgrass for ethonal u will shut you're pie hole for good... :D

so when they switch to switchgrass for ethonal u will shut you're pie hole for good... :wacko:

Taking unnecessarily rude to new limits! Good Job! :D

Yer funny! I am one of the biggest proponents on these boards to be as green as possible. It is logical to keep the environment as clean for us and everything else we share the planet with. Start your car in a closed garage and sit there for an hour or two for me bud. Then tell me we shouldn't have cleaner burning vehicles. OOOOPPPS! Sorry, you couldn't because you would be DEAD!

I am not, however, going to buy into the hysterical "hate the human" bad science.

If you read the articles (which you clearly didn't before sharing your "UNEDUCATED OPINION"), they show you that the corn is being mass produced to keep up with the demand for ethanol, not genetically perfect hybrids. The "irresponsible farming practices" would be moot if it wasn't for the incredible demand that ethanol as a supplement to our thirstly need for a cheap and unlimited gas supply has caused added to the fact that it is a major food source. Maybe we should stop eating corn products in protest? :wacko:

You are right, you do have a VERY uneducated opinion about this topic.

Sorry I went H8 on your esteemed idol of an ex-president. The vagina ref was appropriate too! Showed me right off where you are coming from... nowhere! As much as you call the ethanol argument BS, I feel the same way about te inventor of the internet's "science". If you buy into that, cool, I don't think you are a vagina, just very, well, as you say in your own words... "uneducated".

Talk about covering up for having absolutely ZERO argument. You used the word uneducated 3 times in your post. I was just trying to point out that, unlike yourself, I am not an environmental scientist. So, in your, obviously highly informed and educated opinion the wild/unpredictable/deadly weather systems we've seen this decade is a good sign? Just an FYI, South Florida is trending toward the hottest February this year since records have been kept. As far as corn production is concerned: I didnt feel i needed to spell it out for you. Growing corn itself isnt producing runoff. It's the pesticides and fertilizers that are doing the damage. If you had a genetically modified corn plant that would grow in low nutrient dirt and be pest resistant the runoff would be a veritable non-issue. It would be more expensive but therein lies the sacrafice. Aside from all that I am a hugh proponent of electric vehicles as a next gen (not permanant) solution.

And so what if Al Gore isnt a scientist. He doesnt claim to be one. He has been on the frontline of the battle for a cleaner environment since you were in elementary school. I find it quite disengenuous for a self-proclaimed Environmentalist, such as yourself, to mock and criticize someone for trying to change peoples perceptions of climate change. Not to mention the years he spent combating acid rain, industrial polution, etc. All the while putting his political career on the line advocating measures that would improve all of our lives and help ensure we leave the planet to our children as we got it.

for trying to change peoples perceptions of climate change

:wacko:

Notice how it's not global warming anymore?

And for the record, I don't think Gore really gives a flying fig about anything, including the environment, unless it does 2 things;

1. Enhances his public persona, and

2. Lines his pockets.

He is a politician, nothing more.

Notice how it's not global warming anymore?

And for the record, I don't think Gore really gives a flying fig about anything, including the environment, unless it does 2 things;

1. Enhances his public persona, and

2. Lines his pockets.

He is a politician, nothing more.

How many politicians are there in the US at any given time? How many of those have devoted thier time in office to advancing environmentalism? If it's paying such dividends to Gore why has no one else tried it?

The term global warming is incomplete and inaccurate. Climate change encompasses everything from the drying of the Amazons to increased hurricane activity/severity in the carribbean basin to the rise in the planets aggregate temprature over time.

How many politicians are there in the US at any given time? How many of those have devoted thier time in office to advancing environmentalism? If it's paying such dividends to Gore why has no one else tried it?

The term global warming is incomplete and inaccurate. Climate change encompasses everything from the drying of the Amazons to increased hurricane activity/severity in the carribbean basin to the rise in the planets aggregate temprature over time.

Sorry and no offense, driveby/McBook, but you guys have no chance against this DemonKnight guy. I'm in "the industry" and he is nailing his argument down big time.

Dude, you're talking to a public school teacher. They have no use for facts.

yah but the ditto heads think they thought of it first

:D

Sorry and no offense, driveby/McBook, but you guys have no chance against this DemonKnight guy. I'm in "the industry" and he is nailing his argument down big time.

Are we still talking about Al Gore or global warming or climate change?

You sell carbon offsets? :wacko:

Not to mention that ethanol combustion produces carbon dioxide as well. Funny how all of the "green people" neglect to mention that.

Not to mention that ethanol combustion produces carbon dioxide as well. Funny how all of the "green people" neglect to mention that.

It produces significantly less CO2 and CO than gasoline. It's a much cleaner burning fuel. Plus the act of growing a crop actually absorbs CO2 from the atmosphere, which is nice.

But I'm of the opinion that we should move away from combustion engines altogether. My next car will be an electric car (assuming my Honda holds out another 5 years like I'm planning).