[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TruGreen or other lawn chemical service

Atlanta Cracker

Anyone ever used Trugreen or someone similar? My wife is on me to get the yard greener and more Josh Gordon free and I've heard good things from others regarding them.

Just want some huddle insights...

TIA!

I had them for a while, but got tired of their weekly calls for other services. :wacko: I found a local guy. He's more expensive for the fert, but was a lot cheaper on the tree spraying (aphids on the Honey Locust and blight on the Crab apple). So I'm ahead.

I had them for a while, but got tired of their weekly calls for other services. :wacko: I found a local guy. He's more expensive for the fert, but was a lot cheaper on the tree spraying (aphids on the Honey Locust and blight on the Crab apple). So I'm ahead.

Hmm, I just want them for the grass. I don't care if everything else dies... :D

I have another contact that I'll try as well.

I use them, they do a pretty good job. 6 applications per year @ $122 per application. They can pester you about other stuff though.

I have used Scotts for the last 3 years and will again this year. I just pre-paid $715 for the year including overseeding and aeriating. We get a total of 10 treatments. Well worth it imho........Twiley will be here shortly to reaffirm :wacko:

I use a local guy who comes out 5 times per year. I have a decent sized yard and I get charged $50 per trip.

He does:

1. Pre-emergent. (came out last week)

2. Post emergent

3. Summer

4. Early fall

5. Winterizer

I am EXTREMELY pleased. For the size of my yard the product would cost me about $40. Well worth it, and I don't even have to think about it.

I have used Scotts for the last 3 years and will again this year. I just pre-paid $715 for the year including overseeding and aeriating. We get a total of 10 treatments. Well worth it imho........Twiley will be here shortly to reaffirm :wacko:

:D

Get it, it's worth it. My yard would look like a desert if I didn't use them.

That sounds like more of what I'm looking for. I just called to have them come give me an estimate. How big is your yard?

You're better off not using those services. They are more about the $$$ than your lawn. Locally, in the drought last summer, they were fertilizing brown lawns. They also use quick releasing fertilizers than make your grass look good right after their service, but the lawn really isn't all that healthy. They sort of force the green color on the plant, but neglect the root health. They generally over-fertilize, and their fertilizers are petroleum based .... The list goes on with the negatives.

Basically it comes down to this: If you have good roots, you'll have a healthy green lawn.

DIY

Local plant guy, Denny McKeown, has some advice for Midwesterners:

Mowing (mow high)

Seeding (if you have bare spots)

Fall Feedings (Best for root growth)

All I do is one fall feeding in mid-late October, a Josh Gordon n' feed in the spring, cut the grass high, water if it gets too dry. Boom. Great lawn for a lot less than those services. I've been using Scotts products, but I'm going to try some organics this year to lessen the environmental impact.

The first few years I had a house I used Chemlawn or somesuch. They didn't do dick for my lawn.

I made the time to aerate and fertilize my own lawn, using essentially the Scott's 4 step program (with a little bit of extra attention when I first started.) The lawn looked much better almost right away and in two years it pretty much rocked, and I saved a few bucks in the process.

Unless you have a farm or whatnot, that's my recommendation.

I am back to doing it myself after using TruGreen for a while and being very happy with them... Until I answered my door and there stood a TruGreen salesman telling me that my grass needs this and that and has fungus Blah, Blah, Blah... I listened intently for a while and said that I thought that my current service was doing a great job. He disagreed and started into another sales diatribe; when I told him to wait a minute and returned with the Trugreen bill from two weeks earlier, you should have seen the look on his face! "Oh, I missed your house on my list!"

I cancelled the service after getting a $120 refund from them!

They are more about the $$$ than your lawn.

I am back to doing it myself after using TruGreen for a while and being very happy with them... Until I answered my door and there stood a TruGreen salesman telling me that my grass needs this and that and has fungus Blah, Blah, Blah... I listened intently for a while and said that I thought that my current service was doing a great job. He disagreed and started into another sales diatribe; when I told him to wait a minute and returned with the Trugreen bill from two weeks earlier, you should have seen the look on his face! "Oh, I missed your house on my list!"

I cancelled the service after getting a $120 refund from them!

And bingo was his name-o.

Well, I sort of tried doing it myself the last couple of years and it still needs more. If I get some help and get it whipped back into shape over the next couple of years I have no problem taking it back over. I like that Scotts does the aeration and overseeding but am a little scared of the sticker shock as I have a pretty big yard.

Guest Chappy
All I do is one fall feeding in mid-late October, a Josh Gordon n' feed in the spring, cut the grass high, water if it gets too dry. Boom. Great lawn for a lot less than those services. I've been using Scotts products, but I'm going to try some organics this year to lessen the environmental impact.

When you come to a conclusion about which new organic stuff you decide to use, share the info if you don't mind. My lawn to start the spring and early summer is always looking great and then as the dog days of summer roll around I get brown patches and tons of weeds. Drives me nuts as I can't figure it out. :wacko: It also looks like I get some type of algae on the soil and mushrooms are always growing throughout the lawn.

Ahem - annual speech on the topic:

Option A. Use them if you want a hands off approach to a nice lawn.

Option B. Tell them to pound sand. You can get a much nicer looking lawn for a fraction of the cost if you're willing to pick up some quality fertilizer a few times a year and spread it around your yard.

I have had a couple of these Chemlawn/Scott's guys come to my door without looking at my lawn and try to sell me their service. I politely take them outside and compare my lawn to those in my cul-de-sac that they service. They quickly --> :D

My lawn is 11-13k sq. ft and it costs me around $250 to keep it in killer form. I prefer the Scott products, but other quality fertilizers will get you great results too when applied properly.

:wacko: Ignore the mutt - that's my front lawn - on the cheap!

but I'm going to try some organics this year to lessen the environmental impact.

Great recipe for waking up that winter lawn:

1 liter of Coke

3 cans of beer

1 cup liquid dish soap

1/2 gallon household ammonia

1 gallon water

This should fill a 2 gallon sprayer and treart 5,000 sq. ft. of lawn. I saw this on a PBS gardening show and it works like a charm.

I keep my weeds nicely cut. I was thinking of renting a tiller and just starting from scratch again, but a yard guy told me that the seeds in the weeds can last up toi 30 years in the soil. :wacko: He said I was better off hiring a yard sprayer. Right now there are cow pastures that would rival my yard.

I keep my weeds nicely cut. I was thinking of renting a tiller and just starting from scratch again, but a yard guy told me that the seeds in the weeds can last up toi 30 years in the soil. :wacko: He said I was better off hiring a yard sprayer. Right now there are cow pastures that would rival my yard.

That's bullcrap.

1. Use Round-up and spray the whole yard. Make sure you spray on a windy day so you kill your neighbor's grass also.

2. After grass dies, roto-till whole yard.

3. Spray Round-up again.

4. Wait a couple of weeks and seed.

5. Water. ALOT.

I live in VA. Whoever lived here before me planted Bermuda. In the middle of summer when everone else is water their fecue lawns hoping it doesn't turn brown mine is going strong. The hotter the better. I never do a thing although there are areas that could use some work but most of it is ok

Guest Chappy
Great recipe for waking up that winter lawn:

1 liter of Coke

3 cans of beer

1 cup liquid dish soap

1/2 gallon household ammonia

1 gallon water

This should fill a 2 gallon sprayer and treart 5,000 sq. ft. of lawn. I saw this on a PBS gardening show and it works like a charm.

You can't be serious...can you? Coke, beer, soap and ammonia mixed in water and the grass loves it? :wacko: Seems like that'd be a great recipe to kill it.

Edited by Chappy

I liked TruGreen better when they were called ChemLawn.

But then I guess they decided that the name was not good for their marketing what with the "Chemical" connotation.

So they changed their name briefly to "PoisonDeathLawn"... big mistake.

I don't know what they were thinking with "LawnRapers". :wacko:

TruGreen... one more concession to the hippies, I guess.