[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sweet 16

Randall

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haters

C'mon guys. It's not like us UNC supporters are going around bad mouthing every other team in the tournament. We're excited about our team and rightly so. So far, the Heels play has reinforced everything we've been saying about them all year long. They've only lost 2 games for chrissakes and 1 of those was to Dook, without Lawson. They are undefeated on the road. I don;t care who you are, if you play in a major league and only lose 2 games this far into the season, that means 1 thing, that you're a pretty f&cking good ballclub. I know you PAC-10 guys are tired of hearing about UNC and Hansbrough and the ACC, east coast bias and all that, but just because it's hackneyed doesn't mean it's not true. I keep hearing from you PAC-10 homers that nothing UNC has or has done can compare to what you have there out on the west coast. WSU was a decent ballclub, that's it. They didn't invent tight defense. And talk about their average points against all you want. It a reflection of tempo and style of play as much as it is their defensive prowace. People score a lot of points against UNC because UNC wants to get as many possessions as possible in a game. More possessions = more points. I'm not sure what's more impressive, scoring 110 and winning by 30 in an uptempo game, or putting up 70 and winning by 20 in a slow tempo game.

There are clearly a handful of thoroughbreds in college hoops this year. UNC, Kansas, UCLA and Memphis. I think Louisville and Texas are close. I'm more nervous about playing Louisville than most other teams in the tourney. If we win, and Kansas wins through, I worry that Roy might get all sentimental playing the Jayhawks. If we somehow were to win that game, I'd welcome the opportunity to play UCLA. I just think we're better than they are. I think Kevin Love is a fantastic player. UNC recruited him heavily too you know. If I'm a Bruin fan, however, I'm a little nervous tht my team is relying so heavily on a freshmen for offensive production. It's a long season and freshmen tend to hit the wall. Look at Hansbrough 2 years ago. Also, Isn't Moute hurt? UCLA has has some tight finishes, and while the only result that counts is who ends up with more points, its never a good sign to be struggling with weaker teams at this time of the year. It might mean nothing, but it also might mean something else.

As for the Heels. UNC runs a absolutely solid 8 deep, and can pull Will Graves into the game for short stretches to make it 9, and if things really get hairy, Mike Copeland is competent enough to not hurts us for a few minutes. That makes 10. UNC has won big, they have won tight. They have played 3 OT games (1 double OT) and won them all. Winning games like that matters. Best of all, UNC is playing its best basketball of the year right now Does any of this guarantee them a championship? no, of course not. It doesn;t even guarantee them another win, but when you guys come in here talking about some second rate pac-10 team is going to send them home or calling consensus POY Tyler Hansbrough overrated and "just another Mark Madsen", you need to take off the homer glasses and give the Heels a little respect. (gts not withstanding)

Get your shots in now fellas, because there's a very real chance that, championship or no, UNC returns this entire squad next year, with the exception of Quentin Thomas. But Bobby Frasor (yeah remember him, our backup PG and #2 guard who we lost for the year back in December?) will be back. You think you heard alot about the Heels this year? Just wait.

I guess UNC fans are the new Patriots fans. :wacko:

:wacko:

yeah - D3 - I like the transplanted UT homerism, but destory Stanford?? not a chance- expect a battle- dem Lopez boys are legit. Gonna be a test on who steps up more, Stan guards, or UT bigs, b/c both will have their hands full.

I actually like Stanford here............... I think Stanford gets it done

The key to tonight Stanfurd/UT game will be the names you're not accustomed to hearing as much as the Lopez brothers and the UT guards. I think Damion James and Gary Johnson (and to some degree Dexter Pittman) will be big in this game.

UT 78 - Stanfurd 62

:D have you watched Stanford?? at a minumim they are tough on D and hard to score against- I don't see a blowout at all.

considering the line is UT-2 , me thinks yer already hitting the lonestars.............

Stan gets it done in an ugly game........ Mitch Johnson and J. Hill step up in the Stan backcourt

Stan 72

Texas 67

:D

Haters

C'mon guys. It's not like us UNC supporters are going around bad mouthing every other team in the tournament. We're excited about our team and rightly so. So far, the Heels play has reinforced everything we've been saying about them all year long. They've only lost 2 games for chrissakes and 1 of those was to Dook, without Lawson. They are undefeated on the road. I don;t care who you are, if you play in a major league and only lose 2 games this far into the season, that means 1 thing, that you're a pretty f&cking good ballclub. I know you PAC-10 guys are tired of hearing about UNC and Hansbrough and the ACC, east coast bias and all that, but just because it's hackneyed doesn't mean it's not true. I keep hearing from you PAC-10 homers that nothing UNC has or has done can compare to what you have there out on the west coast. WSU was a decent ballclub, that's it. They didn't invent tight defense. And talk about their average points against all you want. It a reflection of tempo and style of play as much as it is their defensive prowace. People score a lot of points against UNC because UNC wants to get as many possessions as possible in a game. More possessions = more points. I'm not sure what's more impressive, scoring 110 and winning by 30 in an uptempo game, or putting up 70 and winning by 20 in a slow tempo game.

There are clearly a handful of thoroughbreds in college hoops this year. UNC, Kansas, UCLA and Memphis. I think Louisville and Texas are close. I'm more nervous about playing Louisville than most other teams in the tourney. If we win, and Kansas wins through, I worry that Roy might get all sentimental playing the Jayhawks. If we somehow were to win that game, I'd welcome the opportunity to play UCLA. I just think we're better than they are. I think Kevin Love is a fantastic player. UNC recruited him heavily too you know. If I'm a Bruin fan, however, I'm a little nervous tht my team is relying so heavily on a freshmen for offensive production. It's a long season and freshmen tend to hit the wall. Look at Hansbrough 2 years ago. Also, Isn't Moute hurt? UCLA has has some tight finishes, and while the only result that counts is who ends up with more points, its never a good sign to be struggling with weaker teams at this time of the year. It might mean nothing, but it also might mean something else.

As for the Heels. UNC runs a absolutely solid 8 deep, and can pull Will Graves into the game for short stretches to make it 9, and if things really get hairy, Mike Copeland is competent enough to not hurts us for a few minutes. That makes 10. UNC has won big, they have won tight. They have played 3 OT games (1 double OT) and won them all. Winning games like that matters. Best of all, UNC is playing its best basketball of the year right now Does any of this guarantee them a championship? no, of course not. It doesn;t even guarantee them another win, but when you guys come in here talking about some second rate pac-10 team is going to send them home or calling consensus POY Tyler Hansbrough overrated and "just another Mark Madsen", you need to take off the homer glasses and give the Heels a little respect. (bushwacked not withstanding)

Get your shots in now fellas, because there's a very real chance that, championship or no, UNC returns this entire squad next year, with the exception of Quentin Thomas. But Bobby Frasor (yeah remember him, our backup PG and #2 guard who we lost for the year back in December?) will be back. You think you heard alot about the Heels this year? Just wait.

ETA: My bad, it was bush who gave UNC some props not gts

Great Post. Hey, the Tar Heels are a great club and definately one of the favorites. I am looking forward to the game tomorrow night with Louisville. I'm not sure if Louisville has the maturity to come out on top in a closely contested matchup with the Heels but they definately have as much, if not more, talent then NC. Louisville will guard the perimeter a lot better than WSU did and are going to be a handful athletically for the Heels. Padgett vs. Hansbrough will be an interesting matchup also. Louisville 79 North Carolins 78

What a snore all 4 games were tonight. I attended the Midwest regionals and left after watching Davidson kick Wisconsin's ass all over the court. Curry reminds me of the tourney that Glen Rice had for Michigan back in '89. Dude is a pure shooter.

The worst day's worth of games so far, for sure. Nice of the two Big Ten squads to show up. Wisconsin looked lost from the very beginning, and made a lot of mistakes that you don't normally see them make... bad turnovers, cheap fouls after missed shots, etc. I'm sure some of that was due to the pressure Davidson put on them, but still very unusual for Wisconsin. Hughes getting hurt probably didn't help, but I really don't think it made a 20-point difference. Wisconsin's lack of depth is certainly at the guard position (they're plenty deep in the frontcourt), and they needed Hughes and Flowers to be 100% effective.

Same thing with Michigan State. Didn't really look like they wanted to be there (after getting down 50-20, maybe they DIDN'T want to be there). I certainly underestimated Memphis' ability to harass MSU with their length, particularly at the guard position. Just like the Wisconsin game, though, I don't think we saw MSU anywhere close to their best, but Memphis was clearly the better team regardless.

The other games went pretty much how I thought they would, although I was surprised at Texas running away in the last 10 minutes (that game was really a lot closer than the final score indicates). I did bet on Texas at the last minute, though, mainly because I figured it was a home-game for them. That made up a little of what I lost on the two games above.

It's looking more and more like it might be the year where all #1 seeds make the Final Four, but i don't think any of the four have an easy go of it. If UNC wins it all, they may very well look back at Louisville as their toughest test along the way. Davidson has certainly proven that they can beat anybody, and have knocked off three consecutive conference champs (two of them in major conferences). The Texas-Memphis matchup should be very interesting, and i still think Xavier can give UCLA's frontcourt some problems. Tired of the Kevin Love lovefest.... Bill Raftery sounded like John Madden talking about Brett Favre the other night. I normally think of Raftery as one of the best (WAY better than Billy Packer), but the constant Love talk was a little over the top.

Wisconsin looked completely overplayed from the start, lacking speed and desire, and that's unusual for them. I didn't watch MI State and didn't expect either to get far, but hope the games today are more competitive.

Haven't you been giving guys an inch for years?

Meaning? I'm not an alum but I do live in the state.

Edited by Randall

Tonight I'm taking UNC -6.5 if for no other reason than to put my money where my mouth is. Also, that's a low enough number that you're basically just saying your team is going to win without the help of last minute heroics. The whole foul/free throw ending that any remotely close game ends with has just as much chance of pushing what should have been a 3-4 pt win over the number as pulling back what should have been a 10 pt. win under it. So, screw it.

Taking Xavier to win at +250. Honestly, I don't know what to make of UCLA. I see it as a 50/50 prop that one of two things happens. Either this is a story of one of those teams that endures a few crappy games and then finds their groove or its a team that is just simply not playing very well and has been fortunate enough to be playing teams not good enough to make them pay...until now. With that in mind, I'd rather get the odds than the points. Plus, my wife is from Cinci and wants a taste as well. Since she doesn't gamble much, she doesn't find much satisfaction on winning money because the team she wanted to win only lost by a few.

Just another poor attempt at a bad joke by yet another WhosYourZeke alias.

Thanks. None of my homer teams was going to get anywhere. Now that they're gone I'm just trying to enjoy the games. I do want to see Kansas play UNC though.