[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tyler Hansbrough

MikesVikes

:wacko:

+1

Obviously the hardest working guy I've ever seen and has enough skill to make it count. Who knows, if he spends all summer working on that J and can take it a few feet further outside and spends all next year draining that shot, you might be able to even think of saying that. However, let's just say I was pleasantly surprised to see a few of those fall down the stretch.

Certainly tonight's performance showed another level though.

Larry Bird would spend more time in the backcourt, but both of them played all over the court and were always in the right place. Obviously Bird would beat him in a shootout and he carried his Indiana State team to the finals with little or no help from his teammates. But to say that there's never going to be any basketball players to come around that were as good as what we had 30 years ago is also a stretch.

"Tyler Hansbrough made two shots that you prayed they were going to take and it shows you what an All-American he is to make those shots because they were both challenging -- I was following the flight of the ball; he couldn't even see the basket," Louisville coach Rick Pitino said. "First time I've seen him up close and some pro team is going to be very lucky. I haven't seen a guy play every possession like that in a long time. I've never seen it actually."

Larry Bird would spend more time in the backcourt, but both of them played all over the court and were always in the right place. Obviously Bird would beat him in a shootout and he carried his Indiana State team to the finals with little or no help from his teammates. But to say that there's never going to be any basketball players to come around that were as good as what we had 30 years ago is also a stretch.

This was the first time you've watched Tyler Hansbrough this year wasn't it?

I think people just mean he's a completely different type of player than Larry Bird.

Hansbrough will go down as one of the best college players of this generation. I don't know if he will leave this year or not, his draft position seems stuck in the mid-late first round either way. He can't really do anything more in his senior season to improve his stock, unless he suddenly grows a few inches. The fact is, he is at a height that most NBA guys are playing SF or 2G with a lot more quickness and athleticism. If I was to compare him with another 6'8 ish white dude I know a lot about from seeing him play a lot of games, Scott Padgett comes to mind. While Hansbrough is clearly a better colloege player than Padgett was, I see a similar NBA career trend for him. Padgett also shot the 3 fairly well, which is something TH doesn't have in the arsenal. But man, that guys motor never quits. Beasley will be a better pro by a ton, but TH is the best player in college BBall, and frankly maybe the best college player to play as many as 3 years since Duncan.

I think people just mean he's a completely different type of player than Larry Bird.

Not me. I mean, quite simply, he's no Larry Bird. In fact, he's nowhere near as good at what he does as Larry was at what he did. He's likely the single hardest worker in the game and, unlike many others who get lauded for their hustle, has enough skills to elevate him to POY status as opposed to simply being a mule. I just think the Larry Bird comparisons are nowhere near in order.

However, if Saturday night's range is a sneak peak at what's to come. If he can develop that and bring it another 5 ft. further outside, that could change everything. He's obviously got the work ethic needed to develop an outside shot considering that he's good enough at the FT line so it's not like he's starting from ground zero in terms of stroke.

Hansbrough will go down as one of the best college players of this generation. I don't know if he will leave this year or not, his draft position seems stuck in the mid-late first round either way. He can't really do anything more in his senior season to improve his stock, unless he suddenly grows a few inches. The fact is, he is at a height that most NBA guys are playing SF or 2G with a lot more quickness and athleticism. If I was to compare him with another 6'8 ish white dude I know a lot about from seeing him play a lot of games, Scott Padgett comes to mind. While Hansbrough is clearly a better colloege player than Padgett was, I see a similar NBA career trend for him. Padgett also shot the 3 fairly well, which is something TH doesn't have in the arsenal. But man, that guys motor never quits. Beasley will be a better pro by a ton, but TH is the best player in college BBall, and frankly maybe the best college player to play as many as 3 years since Duncan.

Actually, in light of what I said above, he's got plenty to prove next year. Unlike Coach K, Williams understands his bread is buttered by helping his players train for the NBA. That's why he's such a great recuiter. If Hansbrough works on his J all summer and comes back next year draining everything, Roy's gonna work that into the game plan. He's got bodies, so he doesn't need to have Tyler camp under the basket on offense.

Hansbrough is too small to play with his back to the basket at the next level and he's not strong enough to get away with that hideous flopping "hook" (or whatever the hell it is) that he seems to drain like 80% against NBA PFs. If he wants a career as anything more than a journeyman who's good for 6 fouls a night, he's going to need to show he can step outside and shoot. Merely draining two clutch shots at the end of the Louisville game is not going to prove that. Spending a year doing so often enough and leading UNC back to the final four might.

Edited by detlef

:wacko:

awesome thread! Larry Bird :D

Tyler is what he is - a great great college basketball player who's game will translate into a journeyman NBA player AT BEST. I think his ceiling is probably an NBA starter, which is highly unlikley since he really has no position to play. 6'8 and limited won't fly at the 4, and there is no way in hell he can even think about playing the 3. Gotta admire the work ethic -

- most likely a garbageman off the bench- ala Mark Madsen, Brian Cardinal, Scalabrine, and other goofy white dudes.

he is like Nick Collison with much less upside -

Question for the UNC fans. Will Hansbrough, Lawson, & Ellington go pro?

The last time I heard anything was that Lawson likely would, Hansbrough likely wouldn't and Ellington was a complete maybe. Though I did read in the Raleigh paper on Monday that Tyler hinted he might go if they won it all. However, I was somewhat surprised because all I had heard before was that he had basically said he was certainly coming back.

Even though it's somewhat selfish since I'm a fan, I really can't see why he wouldn't stay. As it stands, I'm not so sure he's got much of a career waiting for him at the next level and one more year in school could cement his legacy as the single most adored UNC player of all time. Five years from now, when his NBA career could be over, that wouldn't be a bad thing to have going for you.

My guess, Lawson goes either way, Hansbrough goes only if they win, Ellington won't go either way (not a lottery pick).

BTW, on the radio this morning, they were talking about the fact that Lawson may be the 4th PG taken if he goes (Rose, Collison, and dude from Texas ahead of him). That could push him out of the lottery. In the history of UNC hoops, only 2 players have left early that weren't lottery level picks and they both had extenuating circumstances. Thus, it was postulated that there's a good reason nobody leaves. Lawson is the only one of the three who's got a chance of going that high and, as per above, even he might not.

UNC, and specifically Williams, has a great track record with advising their players well in terms of when to go.

With what they've got coming in, it would be freaking great if they all stayed. :wacko:

After the mass exodus of 2005, I have a reactionalry fear that they will all go, but, like detlef says, there's nothing in any of the mock drafts to suggest that any one of them has outstanding draft position. They could all benefit from another year. I'm holding my breath that we keep 'em all.

After the mass exodus of 2005, I have a reactionalry fear that they will all go, but, like detlef says, there's nothing in any of the mock drafts to suggest that any one of them has outstanding draft position. They could all benefit from another year. I'm holding my breath that we keep 'em all.

Well, if the reason they all jet is because UNC won it all, it's certainly worth another "lengthy rebuilding phase" of, well basically zero years. UNC could lose all three and still be relatively competitive next year. Thompson and Stephenson have shown flashes and could make up a nice starting front line with another year under their belt. We've got a burger boy son of a former NBAer coming in to play point and Graves had a nice freshman year at the 2.

Well, if the reason they all jet is because UNC won it all, it's certainly worth another "lengthy rebuilding phase" of, well basically zero years. UNC could lose all three and still be relatively competitive next year. Thompson and Stephenson have shown flashes and could make up a nice starting front line with another year under their belt. We've got a burger boy son of a former NBAer coming in to play point and Graves had a nice freshman year at the 2.

And we'd still have Green, Ginyard and Frasor

And we'd still have Green, Ginyard and Frasor

I thought Frasor was a senior. Of course, Green and Ginyard will be huge pieces. I was simply addressing filling the gaps left by the guys that might go.

Edited by detlef

I thought Frasor was a senior. Of course, Green and Ginyard will be huge pieces. I was simply addressing filling the gaps left by the guys that might go.

Hansbrough, Frasor, Green and Ginyard all came in together. Frasor is actually going to try and get another year on appeal from his injury, so it's possible he could be around for 2 more years.

Frasor, Green, Ginyard, Thompson, Steveson, isn't a bad starting lineup. And we've got a stellar class coming in.

Hansbrough, Frasor, Green and Ginyard all came in together. Frasor is actually going to try and get another year on appeal from his injury, so it's possible he could be around for 2 more years.

Frasor, Green, Ginyard, Thompson, Steveson, isn't a bad starting lineup. And we've got a stellar class coming in.

My guess is that the Drew kid will be starting at point if Lawson goes. He's supposed to be really, really good.

I agree, and if this happens, just wow.