[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Linked In - the Huddle networking connection

Riffraff

Talk about rough! My dad's an out of work accountant after 30 years. The sad part is he never completed his college education and has only his work experience to go on when searching for a new job. :wacko:

No one has ever asked for my transcripts at any job that I've ever gotten. I know in education, it's important, but in the IT field, they just want certifications, and they take your word for it.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put off joining forever because I didn't see the benefit. I joined and in over a month, I have added 92 connections and I've seen nothing come of it. I'm not so sure this tool is utilized for much.

Might depend on your industry. For me, it's been so-so. I'm still job-hunting, but could probably put in some more work on making connections, etc. on it. :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Added 2 more Huddle peeps.

Got to find where that setting is to get immediate notification when someone wants to join. Thought I had all the right ones set, but still have to check the management tab every now and again to see the requests. Still missing one setting somewhere obviously.

Sorry to anyone that waits any length of time. You can always send me a message via Linked In or the Huddle messageboard to let me know.

• 7 months later...
I put off joining forever because I didn't see the benefit. I joined and in over a month, I have added 92 connections and I've seen nothing come of it. I'm not so sure this tool is utilized for much.

When I joined LinkedIn I made sure anyone I connected with knew I was looking for work. To stay visible, once in a while I would make sure I had some kind of update to my profile, a post on a group discussion board or send a message to all or selected connections. One of my connections was a guy I hadn't worked with since 2002. In January 2010 (about 9 months after becoming active on LinkedIn) he let me know he could use some help rebooting his quality systems and preparing for an ISO surveillance audit in the Summer. We talked, agreed on a full time consulting arrangement, and now I've been there a year. The bill rate is not great, but it's good enough for me to keep my house etc., and they cut a check within 24 hours of being invoiced.

I can't comment on its benefit for most people, but considering it takes almost no time to maintain, I think it has value.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In both cases, the attackers successfully tricked their targets into opening e-mail attachments that appeared to come from trusted sources or colleagues.

Never never even open an email if you aren't sure you know it's who it says it is and you know you can trust that person. I'm amazed how lazy people are about this sometimes.

i've been on linked in for a little while. i haven't landed anything from it, but it's an easy way to keep past business contacts close and a preferred way for a couple of my friends to quickly send messages.

anyway, i just sent a join request.

(ryan)