[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rumor......Favre considering comeback

Hat Trick

I'm a little surprised that you seemingly read this thread and decided that "nobody" finds it cowardly... I don't know of many on either side of the equation who think that was a cool idea. There are those of us who think Brett is being an a-hole that also think GB's attempt to buy him off was lame. Then there are those of us who think Brett can do no wrong and think GB's attempt to buy him off was yet another unforgivable sin. However, while I haven't read each and every post, I haven't seen many that think the $20 mil deal was a great idea.

I'm a little surprised you'd chime in not having read the entire thread. i did'nt say anyone thought it was a great idea. don't be a oil and vinegar...the season has'nt even started yet.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes. absolutely. 100%. especially when he is a significantly better player than your current QB and you could pay him a fraction of that $25 million to simply play QB for your team like he has for the last 15 years, which is all he really wanted to do in the first place. this determination to take some sort of "stand" against favre in favor of aaron rodgers is the truly baffling aspect of this whole deal. it's not because they think he's a better QB, it's totally a power trip thing. again, I can see where they are sick and tired of favre's crap every offseason....but is it worth hurting your footbal team over?

This is in part a power play to wrest the organization away from Favre, but the second obvious conclusion is that the Packers believe they have assembled a team that does not require the services of a "gunslinger" QB. They want someone to run the machine they are building with a steady hold on the handle. They obviously strongly believe they have that guy in Aaron Rogers.

The Packers are good enough to win with an average quarterback. So why should they continue to go through the Favre drama.

Of course, if they are wrong about Rodgers and he completely bombs Thompson will become the stuff of legends.

It is obvious the guy knows how to draft, so if he believes in Rodgers that much I have no choice but to think him right.

I'm still waiting for an answer. :wacko:

Your lack of any capability to understand an answer is not a sign of my not answering the question.

Have someone read it to you & then explain it if you can find someone who can communicate on your level.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Definitely more of a power play than anything else. It was very telling when McCarthy mentioned in passing how he and Favre were not always on the same page as far as the game plan goes. I'm sure that no Head Coach in the NFL wants anyone questioning his game plan, even if it is Super Stud Brett Favre. And Favre telling mastermind Thompson who to acquire most likely sealed his fate.

I see this as a non-lethal version of the movie Rollerball. James Caan has simply become too popular and too powerful. He's bigger than the game itself. He must be taken out... for the good of the world. :wacko:

I think the other key item that few have dwelled on is the fact that Rogers is in the final year of his 4-year contract. the Packers have to find out if he can play so they can adequately determine whether to re-sign him, and how much to invest.

Is he Matt Schaub, or Bobby Hoying?

I am guessing this is a large part of their desire to see him in action.

Definitely more of a power play than anything else. It was very telling when McCarthy mentioned in passing how he and Favre were not always on the same page as far as the game plan goes. I'm sure that no Head Coach in the NFL wants anyone questioning his game plan, even if it is Super Stud Brett Favre.

That was patently obvious in the DAL game. Favre was hell bent on throwing way downfield repeatedly, and DAL took that away from him and embarrassed him. When Rodgers came in and was following the game plan, GB's O cut the DAL D apart in a "death by a 1000 cuts" manner.

I think the other key item that few have dwelled on is the fact that Rogers is in the final year of his 4-year contract. the Packers have to find out if he can play so they can adequately determine whether to re-sign him, and how much to invest.

It is a 5-year contract, so 2 years remaining.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=345018

This is in part a power play to wrest the organization away from Favre, but the second obvious conclusion is that the Packers believe they have assembled a team that does not require the services of a "gunslinger" QB. They want someone to run the machine they are building with a steady hold on the handle. They obviously strongly believe they have that guy in Aaron Rogers.

The Packers are good enough to win with an average quarterback. So why should they continue to go through the Favre drama.

Of course, if they are wrong about Rodgers and he completely bombs Thompson will become the stuff of legends.

It is obvious the guy knows how to draft, so if he believes in Rodgers that much I have no choice but to think him right.

then why were they perfectly willing to welcome favre back (as the presumed started) a few months ago? from a football perspective, what has changed from then to now? answer is nothing. this isn't about aaron rodgers. like I said, this is all power play.

then why were they perfectly willing to welcome favre back (as the presumed started) a few months ago? from a football perspective, what has changed from then to now? answer is nothing. this isn't about aaron rodgers. like I said, this is all power play.

Yep, big egos on both sides.

Let's take a look at some notable draft picks :guns: with Ted Thompson in the GM chair:

2005- (I'm assuming this was his draft)

1st rd- A.Rodgers (coincidence)

Terrence Murphy WR- :wacko:

Nick Collins DB- solid

Marvel Underwood- :D

Brady Poppinga LB- solid not spectacular

1st rd- AJ Hawk (5th pick) FYI Demeco Ryans went 25 picks later

Colledge- solid OL

Jennings- great '07 will see how he translates without Favre

Abdul Hodge LB- :D

Corey RodgersCB- :D

Spitz- solid OL

Johnny Jolly- Good deep DT pick

2007-

1st rd- Justin Hartell DT- 7 games, 2 starts, 10 solo 6 assist :D

Brandon Jackson RB- 75 car 267 yds. 1td 3.6 ypc :D

James Jones WR- solid pick

2008-

Well the draft genius didn't have a first rounder so we'll see how Jordey Nelson pans out.

It's nice to see he burned his other 2nd round pick on A.Rodgers replacement. :D:smash::pokey::slap:

Edited by Big Ernie McCracken

Does GB have cap room for him?

Why pay $25mil when you could bench him for half of that? One year holding the clipboard, second or third team practices, etc... and he'll lose the desire as well as the fitness.

It's kinda like what Charlie Sheen said about hookers. He doesn't pay them to have sex with him. He pays them to go away afterwards.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

It was before they drafted 2 QB's and installed a new Rodgers adjusted offense. Could they go backwards sure but Favre brings a lot of baggage along(retirement talk, every year deciding if he wants to return-the first year he decided after the draft). He also was unwilling to mentor a new QB and Rodgers never really played. That was probably because of Brett.

When he said he wanted to come back, they were ready to fly down and he called cancelling I figure they wanted to move on without him.

2008-

Well the draft genius didn't have a first rounder so we'll see how Jordey Nelson pans out.

It's nice to see he burned his other 2nd round pick on A.Rodgers replacement. :wacko::D:D:D

Ryan Grant - traded for 6th rounder.

Update.

Everyday the whole saga gets more confusing. Each new development makes me question everyone's motives. To me the best possible outcome would be for Favre to stay retired, howerver, if he does it because of the money then he just looks like a sell out. I'm definitely curious to see how it plays out.

If you are a strong supporter of him staying retired check out this campaign tio try and send Favre a lifetime supply of golf balls. Stay Retired Favre

But if you think he should be the starter for the Pack, check out this fun campaign to send 10,000 pieces of Cheese to Thompson. Bring Back Favre

Does GB have cap room for him?

Why pay $25mil when you could bench him for half of that? One year holding the clipboard, second or third team practices, etc... and he'll lose the desire as well as the fitness.

The Packers have plenty of cap room. And the $25M would be payed (in installments) only if he stays retired, or payable after he finally retires for the last time. Since this is not money to play football, it would not count against the salary cap.

How does that reflect on his ability to draft :wacko:

You're right. The guy knows nothing about how to build a team. That is why they went 13-3 last year. Sorry. Carry on.

I already said you were right. You are a genius. Thompson is an idiot. I am an idiot. They got to 13-3 through the mere immortality of Favre. Without him they will be lost and hopeless. Much like this message board would be without you.