[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rumor......Favre considering comeback

Hat Trick

Report: Favre reinstated

August 3rd, 2008 – 10:27 AM by Judd Zulgad Quarterback Brett Favre has been reinstated by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, according to ESPN. While an initial report said Favre and his family were heading to Green Bay and that Favre would attend the Packers Family Night scrimmage tonight at Lambeau Field, it now appears he will be at practice on Monday.

Favre, though, is expected to arrive in Green Bay today.ESPN said Favre’s reinstatement will become official Monday because the NFL office is closed today. Update: The league has confirmed that Favre has been reinstated and he will be added to the Packers’ active roster at noon Monday.

Goodell said Saturday he hoped Favre and the Packers could resolve this issue by Monday. Favre, of course, wants to come out of retirement but the Packers don’t want him back as their starting quarterback. The Packers also don’t want Favre to play for another team and reportedly offered him $25 million to work for the franchise in a non-football playing role. Favre considered the offer but it’s clear he decided to say no.

The Vikings also find themselves involved in this situation. Favre’s desire is to play for the Vikings. The Packers filed tampering charges against the Vikings alleging Minnesota officials made contact with the quarterback. There has been no ruling on the tampering charge. Packers General Manager Ted Thompson said he will not grant Favre his release and won’t trade him within the NFC North. But the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel recently reported the Packers have had internal discussions about moving Favre within the division as a last resort.

Goodell, who has been in the middle of the Favre situation, told the Associated Press on Saturday: “I’m not trying to interject myself. I was interjected into it because there was a tampering charge initially. I’m not looking for things to interject myself to. It’s an issue that needs to be addressed because of the competing interests. You want to make sure it’s done properly and within our rules. This is an issue that ultimately has to be decided between Brett and the Packers.”

Meanwhile, the Packers aren’t the only NFC North team that doesn’t want Favre to land in Minnesota. Brad Biggs of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that while the Bears aren’t pursuing Favre, that franchise also would rather see the quarterback stay retired or at least move from the division.

“If [Favre] goes to the Vikings that is a huge deal,” Bears free safety Mike Brown told the Sun-Times last week. “That would definitely, I would say, make them the favorite in the NFC. Look at what they already have on offense, they have a lot of weapons. Look at the running back [Adrian Peterson], Bernard [berrian] as a speed threat, the offensive line is great. The defense is awesome. I think you would have to make them the favorites.”

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Negotiations dead; Favre to compete for starting job

By Tom Silverstein

Sunday, Aug 3 2008, 03:09 PM

Green Bay -- The Green Bay Packers are through negotiating with quarterback Brett Favre on a marketing deal and they are anticipating him reporting for training camp Monday and being on the field as soon as he passes his physical, a Packers source said.

Another source close to the club, said that the Packers have agreed to allow Favre to compete with Aaron Rodgers for the starting job and he won't necessarily be the backup this season. Trade talks with Favre have not advanced and coach Mike McCarthy is expected to come up with a plan that will split the practice repetitions with Rodgers.

The Packers released this statement from president Mark Murphy:

"Sixteen years after Brett Favre came to the Packers, he is returning for a seventeenth season. He has had a great career with our organization and although we built this year around the assumption that Brett meant what he said about retiring, Brett is coming back. We will welcome him back and turn this situation to our advantage.

"Frankly, Brett's change of mind put us in a very difficult spot. We now will revise many actions and assumptions about our long-term future, all predicated on Brett's decision last March to retire. As a result of his decision, we invested considerably in a new and different future without Brett and we were obviously moving in that direction. That's why this wasn't easy. Having crossed the Rubicon once when Brett decided to retire, it's very difficult to reorient our plans and cross it again in the opposite direction - but we'll put this to our advantage.

"Brett will be in camp tomorrow. Although there has been uncertainty regarding Brett's return, Ted Thompson and Coach McCarthy had previously discussed this and have had a plan in place. Coach McCarthy will talk to the team and the quarterbacks about the plan moving forward, and after he has done that we will share it publicly.

"No matter what, I look forward to another successful season for the Packers and our fans. This has been a tough situation, but the Packers will make the most of it."

McCarthy is expected to address the quaerterback situation after the scrimmage tonight.

Going to another team wouldn't hurt Brett's legend... getting honestly beat out of the starting job by Aaron might.

Nah.

Really, Favre's body of work and numbers are sufficient enough that this little episode here, losing the starting job to Rodgers, or being Namath-on-the-Rams would be quickly forgotten.

You're really knowledgeable... if Aaron somehow beats him out (just throwing less INTs might do it), would it hurt Brett's legend? Side question: if Brett is the #2, does he then really, truly retire?

If Favre does end up as #2 on the depth chart and then retires, he's going to look awfully stupid for pushing this issue so far and then pissing away $20M to $25M to stay retired.

How so? Please expound. Are you saying that a former first round draft pick with a strong skill set who has had significant time in the system can't possibly beat out a QB who is clearly in the twilight of his career?

Brett looked pretty good last year. He's so comfortable in the offense.

If he does win the job I think they really have to get Rodgers or Brohm some playing time in mop up duty.

Brett looked pretty good last year. He's so comfortable in the offense.

If he does win the job I think they really have to get Rodgers or Brohm some playing time in mop up duty.

So you're just going to dismiss the 29 picks from 2 years ago, when he looked horrid at times. I still contend that Favre looked so strong last year because he was supported by a very strong team. He has some significant skills, no question. But: 1) Are those skills better than Rodgers' right now, and 2) Is he the best fit for the team and its current makeup over Rodgers?

I think both those points are highly debatable at the least. I don't think there's any question that his showing up at camp will damage this team no matter who wins the starting job. It may damage the team significantly. For Brett claiming to be such a team guy, that bothers me as much as anything else in this circus and has Vikings', Bears', and Cowboys' fans among other applauding his decision.

Edited by Bronco Billy

So you're just going to dismiss the 29 picks from 2 years ago, when he looked horrid at times. I still contend that Favre looked so strong last year because he was supported by a very strong team. He has some significant skills, no question. But: 1) Are those skills better than Rodgers' right now, and 2) Is he the best fit for the team and its current makeup over Rodgers?

I think both those points are highly debatable at the least. I don't think there's any question that his showing up at camp will damage this team no matter who wins the starting job. It may damage the team significantly. For Brett claiming to be such a team guy, that bothers me as much as anything else in this circus and has Vikings', Bears', and Cowboys' fans among other applauding his decision.

Was he ever really a team guy? He said it wasn't his job to teach Rodgers and was adamant about it.

I think it was because of a weaker team (especially the defense) that he had success. I also think it has taken McCarthy time to reel him in somewhat after the Sherman years.

He still ad libs too much as evidenced in the Dallas game and the last play in the championship game.

Better skills than Rodgers? Probably not. He is more comfortable in the offense and it and the defense have improved over the last 2 years.

Brett has forced these issues and the team doesn't seem willing to change the locks and really battle him in a PR battle.

Damage the team? Maybe.

I would give him 1 year and play Rodgers a fair deal to help transition him to starter. I don't know if that would work but if I were in charge I would make a return conditional on his leaving or being traded after this season.

Like a lot of fans I have mixed feelings about this. 2 months ago I was looking forward to the Rodgers era but have changed since.

Whatever the team decides I would support though.

Other than locking him out I don't see a solution here. The team is trying to come up with one but Brett is making it hard.

Well, Brian Brohm is certainly the quarterback of the future...

Either way Aaron Rodgers is going to feel wronged by all of this... Heck, I bet he'll end up in another NFC North's locker room... If Favre is allowed to compete for the starting job, he's almost certainly going to win it. Rodgers was promised the starting job and has done the best he could with this media/PR disaster. This however makes the Brohm pick look extremely good right now.

I would give him 1 year and play Rodgers a fair deal to help transition him to starter.

If Rodgers isn't starting because he loses out to Favre, he'll never start in Green Bay. Rodgers isn't going to take this well at all, and we have a player with the skill-set and mental make up to run this team for years to come... I do think when it happens, Brohm will not be looked at as the guy who tried to fill Favre's shoes.

How so? Please expound. Are you saying that a former first round draft pick with a strong skill set who has had significant time in the system can't possibly beat out a QB who is clearly in the twilight of his career?

Let me put it this way...If the Packers really thought Favre was an inferior QB, why not just trade him to the Vikings? If he wasn't that good, what would they have to worry about? Yes, there's the risk that they end up looking foolish but every decision at this point carries some risk. They'd also be getting presumably a very high draft pick in return to offset that risk. People keep claiming that he didn't look too good a couple years ago. I think it makes a lot more sense to look much more at would he did recently.

If Rodgers isn't starting because he loses out to Favre, he'll never start in Green Bay. Rodgers isn't going to take this well at all, and we have a player with the skill-set and mental make up to run this team for years to come... I do think when it happens, Brohm will not be looked at as the guy who tried to fill Favre's shoes.

I'm not so sure. That's why I said he needs to get playing and told it's his job next year. They would probably say what do you want us to do lock him off the property? Give in and let him go to Minnesota?

He may understand. It's a unique situation.

I'm not so sure. That's why I said he needs to get playing and told it's his job next year. They would probably say what do you want us to do lock him off the property? Give in and let him go to Minnesota?

He may understand. It's a unique situation.

Last year right before the season started Rodgers was on NFL Total Access and said that if wasn't starting the 08 season he wouldn't have a problem with a trade to another team where he could play. It's possible that he understands the situation, of course, most people have ego's and a lot of them are fragile. I would bet he feels betrayed by the staff that named him the starter and he's gone. If Favre is allowed to compete I predict he wins it fairly easy, and that Brohm is our quarterback of the future.

I'm wondering why it would be easier for the Vikes to change their plans and have Favre play for them than it would be for the Packers? It's a big problem for the Pack but they don't want the Vikes to have to go through what they are now going through.

Yesterday, I was at Vikes TC and I didn't see the players take the day off waiting for some knight in shining armor to show up. They also have a system in place that doesn't involve Brett Favre.

Edited by MikesVikes

The Green Bay Packers have apparently decided they need a little help on the public relations front when it comes to handling the ongoing Brett Favre saga.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Packers will employ former White House press secretary Ari Fleischer for one month as a consultant.

Fleischer, who was President George W. Bush's official spokesperson for a majority of his first term in office, is now president of Ari Fleischer Sports Communications, a joint venture with IMG.

According to an Associated Press report, Fleischer met with Packers players Thursday, but the meeting was scheduled several weeks ago, before the Favre controversy flared up. The report also said while Fleischer didn't focus on how players should handle the Favre situation, the topic was discussed.

"Obviously it's a topic, and it wasn't ignored," Fleischer told the AP in a phone interview Thursday.

Ari Fleischer? :wacko:

I guess TT and Murphy could use a little help with the Favre media frenzy not even in full gear yet.

Family Night Scrimmage: Running Updates

Refresh for the latest ...

6:32 p.m. There is a plane flying over the stadium with a "SaveBrett.Net" sign. Not sure whether it could withstand a direct lightning strike. Stay tuned. :wacko:

Looks like the Packers finally came to their senses. They will allow Favre to compete for the starting job with Aaron Rodgers:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/p...WSFRONTCAROUSEL

Favre, Rodgers to compete for job

Press-Gazette and The Associated Press • August 3, 2008

Updated 5:10 P.M.

Brett Favre will be reinstated and added to the Green Bay Packers' active roster on Monday, and will compete with Aaron Rodgers for the starting quarterback job.

A source confirmed the open competition to the Press-Gazette this afternoon.

Earlier today, team President and CEO Mark Murphy said the Packers "will welcome (Favre) back and turn this situation to our advantage."

Murphy's statement, issued shortly before 3 p.m., came after the NFL announced Favre's reinstatement late this morning. Commissioner Roger Goodell had held off on granting Favre’s request for reinstatement for almost a week, hoping Favre and the Packers could resolve their standoff.

By reinstating Favre, Goodell is following through on a recent promise to force action.

The reinstatement will become effective at noon Monday. Favre first would have to pass a physical exam and a conditioning test, then likely would be limited to individual drills.

Murphy said General Manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy "have had a plan in place" for Favre's return to the Packers. He said McCarthy "will talk to the team and the quarterbacks about the plan moving forward, and after he has done that we will share it publicly."

McCarthy is scheduled to discuss the plan for his quarterbacks in a press conference at 8:15 p.m. Monday.

Favre, 38, has been the Packers' starting quarterback for the past 16 seasons and holds almost every major NFL passing record. Rodgers, 24, a first-round draft choice in 2005, is in his fourth season with the Packers but has never started a game.

Murphy's statement explained the Packers' thinking:

"Frankly, Brett’s change of mind put us in a very difficult spot. We now will revise many actions and assumptions about our long-term future, all predicated on Brett’s decision last March to retire. As a result of his decision, we invested considerably in a new and different future without Brett and we were obviously moving in that direction. That’s why this wasn’t easy. Having crossed the Rubicon once when Brett decided to retire, it’s very difficult to reorient our plans and cross it again in the opposite direction – but we’ll put this to our advantage."

Favre’s agent, James “Bus” Cook, confirmed that Favre plans to fly to Green Bay tonight -- his plane left Hattiesburg, Miss., about 5 p.m. was scheduled to arrive about 7 p.m. -- and report to the Packers on Monday.

“That’s the plan,” Cook said in an e-mail to The Associated Press today.

Favre’s arrival in training camp could cause a major disruption to the team, although he likely would not begin practicing with the Packers right away.

The Packers have an intrasquad scrimmage at Lambeau Field tonight, then do not have another scheduled public practice until 2 p.m. Tuesday. Favre could be on the field as early as Tuesday.

“I don’t know how this will be resolved yet. I do know if I am going to play this year, I need to get in camp. I would love to play again," Favre told Al Jones of the SunHerald of Gulfport, Miss. "Everyone says, ’Brett, go play.’ My question is, where?“’

Favre also told Jones: “My intentions have always been to play for Green Bay. Why wouldn’t I want to play in Green Bay? They have as good a chance to win the Super Bowl as anyone.”

Cook affirmed that, telling the Hattiesburg (Miss.) American: "He's ready to go. "He's ready to go in there and be a part of that team."

Favre retired in early March but has been having second thoughts. Team officials have insisted they are moving on with Aaron Rodgers, though, causing tensions to rise between Favre and the team.

It is not clear whether Favre’s reinstatement indicates that he has rejected a long-term, multimillion-dollar marketing agreement offered by the team.

“When I retire, they lose all marketing rights,” Favre told the SunHerald about the proposed marketing agreement with the Packers. “They cannot sell anything with my name on it. That’s a big deal to them. It’s just like an endorsement with crappy shoes from spammers. We have been working on that (deal) for some time.”

Reinstatement could force the Packers to increase their offer to Favre in hopes that he remains retired and avoids turning their training camp into a media circus this week.

Team officials publicly have ruled out releasing Favre, fearing he would immediately sign with division rival Minnesota. The Packers could still also trade him.

Goodell told the NFL Network on Saturday that he thinks the situation has lingered long enough.

“I think we have to force it,” Goodell said. “I think it’s come to the point where there need to be some decisions made on behalf of the Packers, on behalf of Brett, on behalf of all the fans.”

I'm wondering why it would be easier for the Vikes to change their plans and have Favre play for them than it would be for the Packers? It's a big problem for the Pack but they don't want the Vikes to have to go through what they are now going through.

Yesterday, I was at Vikes TC and I didn't see the players take the day off waiting for some knight in shining armor to show up. They also have a system in place that doesn't involve Brett Favre.

Yeah, I don't get Minny's hard-on to acquire Favre. I'm sure it's been mentioned previously in the thread, but a good chunk of the teams out there want nothing to do with Favre. Many GMs have told Thompson "we aren't a Brett Favre away from being good" or have young QBs in place that they are developing.

Minny is one of those teams where IMO it might be best to roll with Jackson. If Chili and Bevell are halfway decent coaches, they should be able to make a serviceable QB out of him; one thing I noticed watching him play is he certainly has the PHYSICAL tools to do well.

Let me put it this way...If the Packers really thought Favre was an inferior QB, why not just trade him to the Vikings?

Because just because Favre may be inferior to Rodgers - again, highly debatable - he (or any other breathing QB this side of Ryan Leaf) is a damn sight better than the trainwreck that is Tarvaris Jackson.

I find it mildly amusing that Rodgers - a 1st round pick who dropped well beyond expectations in his draft and whom some people felt was a better pro passer than Alex Smith and should have gone at 1.01 - is nothing but a stop gap QB for GB but an unproven Brohm is going to be the next Brett Favre even though he has yet to take one snap in an NFL game and went late in the 2nd round despite some teams having glaring needs at QB.

Full disclosure - I do happen to think that Rodgers & Brohm are the best long term pro QB prospects from their respective draft classes.

Edited by Bronco Billy