[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rumor......Favre considering comeback

Hat Trick

If GB thinks Rogers is better than Favre, then why are they worried about where he plays? Then answer is they do not believ Rogers is better, but just want the situation to be over with. Well, if that is so, then why don't they trade him quickly. Either way, GB looks hippocritical.

Here's what you're missing, GB doesn't need to think Rodgers is better, simply that he's just as good. GB might think that both Favre and Rodgers are good enough to lead this team. However, with Favre, you've already gone through this drama about "maybe I'll retire, maybe I won't" twice now and would just as soon not hold the future of your team hostage for longer still. With Rodgers, you just move forward.

When I say that I think going with Rodgers here is the best move, it's not because I think dude is going to throw 30 TDs, rather that I think Favre would put up something in between what he did last year and what he did the 2 years before and that I don't think it's unrealistic to expect the same good but not outstanding production from Rodgers. Everyone keeps assuming that Rodgers is going to look like rookie out here. Well, there's a reason why teams don't throw actual rookies right into the mix year 1, because time has shown that they do a whole lot better when they're given a couple of years to play back-up. Why should we expect anything different here?

So, assuming that GB feels confident that Rodgers can do as well as Favre this year, it's pretty freaking obvious which one they should go with. That said, that doesn't mean that they think Favre is done. After all, if they didn't have a guy in place that they felt was ready to lead the team, they probably wouldn't be taking the hard line and just welcome him back. So, considering that the other teams in the division have some pretty shaky QBs, it's rather obvious that adding Favre would help them. No team ever wants to trade within their division.

There are too few NFL execs so stupid that anyone should think that a trade is going to be one-sided. By nature, trades are intended to benefit both teams. If anything, GB probably has to assume that they're going to get the short end of the trade because everyone knows they need to move this guy or create more of a circus. So, so you want to enter into a trade that you're likely getting the short end of the stick with a team that you're fighting for a division title with? Really? Even if they were to get equal value, that still means that adding Favre to their roster improves whatever team he goes to. Again, why not a team that's not in your division?

Are you all incapable of realizing that it's not just black and white. That there's a middle ground between thinking Favre is god and Favre is worn out and useless?

Gotta say, on another note, DMD brought this up a bit back. How pissed at Favre would you be if you were Rodgers. By simply being the guy that followed Favre you've got some massive shoes to fill. Now, you're the guy that GB shipped Favre away for. Talk about a tough freaking position to be in. I know, he gets paid plenty, but compared to others who play his position, dude is completely hosed on this one. Considering the pressure and BS he's taking, if Rodgers does turn in a good year, all the Packer fans who are shoving their #4 spamshirts in his face better kiss his ass.

Edited by detlef

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not read most of the posts in this forum so this may have been touched on. What if Brett gets traded to Tampa. If the deal does not include a NO TRADE CLAUSE I could see Tampa trading Brett to the Vikings. Just a thought.

I keep hearing people saying this, but I would think this would hurt a teams chances of trading in the future. Am I wrong in that thinking? I just can't remember a team trading for a player and then immediately trading him for higher value (excluding an already agreed upon 3+ team trade).

If GB thinks Rogers is better than Favre, then why are they worried about where he plays? Then answer is they do not believ Rogers is better, but just want the situation to be over with. Well, if that is so, then why don't they trade him quickly. Either way, GB looks hippocritical.

:wacko:

This ridiculous argument is spreading like wildfire. And, Scooby, I don't know what would be worse -- if you came up with it all on your own or if you're just bandwagoning on it.

If you want to simplify it down to stupid level -- i.e., forgetting about the business part of this situation and forgetting that Favre is a LEGENDARY player and forgetting about the public-relations aspect of Favre playing for an arch-rival -- think about it this way...

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning both play for the Colts. You're the Colts GM and you have to trade one of them. You believe Manning is slightly better than Brady, so you decide to explore trade possibilities. The Jaguars call you. What do you tell them? Do you give your division rival a great QB just because you believe your QB is a little better? Of course not! Stop being ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope I never hear this argument again. There's enough sh*t flying off the fan in this entire saga; the stupidity quotient doesn't need to be increased any further.

(Scooby -- please don't take this rant personally. :D)

Well allow me to enlighten your stupid a$$. If favre insists on going to Minny or Chicago for that matter, the geniuses in the GB front office will continue to put up road blocks(based on their desire to have Favre somewhere other that the NFC North and probably as a little payback for making life difficult over thepast month or so) to that happening. I'd imagine if GB was going to consider a trade inthe NFC North, they'd be looking for maximum compensation (obviosly for their own good and to the detriment of a rival). Enter Tampa and Bruce Allen, who could offer less because GB would be much happier to send Favre there (as they've already demonstrated by contacting Tampa along with the Jets) So to put interms that detlef and DD(aka bronco Billy) can understand. Favre says he wants to go to Minny, GB doesn't want him to there so the price will be high, GB doesn't seem to have a problem shipping him to Tampa so maybe they take less to end this fiasco. :wacko: get it d-bag. And by the way, I'm planning abrunch with lobster bisque and cucumber sandwiches..... http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?show...p;#entry2525315

Sorry, I was going to ignore your posts but read it because piratesownninjas posted it.

First off, wow. I'm pretty sure I know which is worse between being a guy that some knuckledragger thinks is ghey and being a guy that pretty obviously is obsessed with to the point of stalking someone who he thinks is ghey. Just saying...

Now, as to your point. Do we really have to explain why GB doesn't want Favre in division? Well, read the post I just made above. It's pretty simple. it has nothing to do with petty vendettas. It is, quite simply the stance that pretty much every team in history has taken. You don't trade guys to teams in your division.

Now, back to basic economics. So, if Favre says he won't play for Tampa, the deal doesn't get made because, well, he said he won't play for them. If Favre says he's willing to play for Tampa but would rather play for Minn, how does that change the price? Are you implying that Tampa is going to use the fact that they were Favre's 2nd choice as a bargaining chip? Do you think that NFL GMs are as petty and stupid as you are? I don't think there's been an official ruling on whether or not Favre has a no-trade clause, I missed it if there was. However, whomever trades for him is going to want assurances that he'll show up and play. After that, I'm pretty sure they can get over the fact that Minn was his first choice. They'll be banking on the fact that Favre will have a huge chip on his shoulder and will want to prove that he can still get it done.

GB knows that they're not going to get equal value from anyone that they're prepared to deal him to, because everyone knows that GB needs to move him. Tampa knows this. That has nothing to do with what Minn or Chi is doing or saying because, again, GB is not looking to trade him there anyway.

So, without Minn in the mix, TB gets him on the cheap. With Minn in the mix, TB gets him on the cheap.

The Bucs played this perfectly by keeping their mouths shut while this played out. Favre goes to Gruden, who as always liked Favre, and immedaitely, they become a better team. The receivers in TB are immediately better with Favre throwing them the ball (see the long line of names in GB that lived off of the Favre fastball). Ted Thompson almost got numchaku-ed. He didn't even know.

The Bucs played this perfectly by keeping their mouths shut while this played out. Favre goes to Gruden, who as always liked Favre, and immedaitely, they become a better team. The receivers in TB are immediately better with Favre throwing them the ball (see the long line of names in GB that lived off of the Favre fastball). Ted Thompson almost got numchaku-ed. He didn't even know.

Well they tried but Favre wouldn't even talk to them. Many thought up front Tampa was the best fit. It's close to home, warmer during the playoffs, Gruden loves older QB's.

So does Garcia get traded to Minnesota now?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/06/...es-last-choice/

JETS MAKE BEST OFFER, ARE FAVRE’S LAST CHOICE

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 6, 2008, 8:39 a.m. UTC

It now appears that the New York Jets are the team willing to part with the best package to acquire Brett Favre in a trade, and that New York is the place the Packers would like to ship Favre, because it gets him out of the NFC.

But it also appears that of all the teams that have an interest in Favre’s services, the Jets are the team Favre least wants to play for.

Appearing on ESPN Radio this morning, Fox Sports reporter Jay Glazer said the Tampa Tribune’s report that Favre is on the verge of being a Buc is not true, and that there’s a lot of negotiation still to be done before any deal could be completed.

“Right now the Jets have a better deal on the table than the Buccaneers do,” Glazer said. “The deal the Jets are offering right now is so much sweeter than the deal the Buccaneers are offering.”

But Glazer added that even though Favre is talking to the Jets, he so far simply hasn’t warmed up to the idea of playing for them.

And since no Favre trade will be completed until his new team is sure that he’ll be committed, that leaves us pretty much where we were last night: Wondering if Favre and the Packers can ever make up their minds about a scenario that will work for all of them.

Sorry, I was going to ignore your posts but read it because piratesownninjas posted it.

First off, wow. I'm pretty sure I know which is worse between being a guy that some knuckledragger thinks is ghey and being a guy that pretty obviously is obsessed with to the point of stalking someone who he thinks is ghey.

Now, back to basic economics. So, if Favre says he won't play for Tampa, the deal doesn't get made because, well, he said he won't play for them. If Favre says he's willing to play for Tampa but would rather play for Minn, how does that change the price? Are you implying that Tampa is going to use the fact that they were Favre's 2nd choice as a bargaining chip? Do you think that NFL GMs are as petty and stupid as you are? I don't think there's been an official ruling on whether or not Favre has a no-trade clause, I missed it if there was.

Well dum dum. I never called you gay, you came out and said you were.

The piece of the equation you're missing is that GB DOES NOT WANT TO TRADE HIM IN THEIR DIVISION. To get the deal and start moving on, which they obviously need to do, I'd be shocked if the price for Tampa wasn't significantly lower than the price for their hated rivals. You are a dope and really don't get it. And by the way, I'm making veal scalopini, red or white http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?show...p;#entry2525315

Edited by Big Ernie McCracken

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/06/...r-jets-or-bucs/

COOK: FAVRE WILLING TO PLAY FOR JETS OR BUCS

Posted by Mike Florio on August 6, 2008, 10:08 a.m. UTC

Agent Bus Cook tells Clifton Brown of Sporting News that quarterback Brett Favre is now willing to play for the Jets or the Buccaneers, and that Favre hopes that a trade will be completed by Thursday, at the latest.

“Brett feels he needs to get into training camp,” Bus Cook told Brown. ”He’s ready to get started.”

And it appears that no other teams are in the mix at this point.

“I haven’t heard of anywhere else,” said Cook. “Sure, he’d consider somewhere else, but it would have to be the right place. I don’t know for sure, but I think the Packers have called just about everybody. Tampa and the Jets are the two teams out front.”

Cook also told Brown he isn’t sure how the divorce between the Packers and Favre will affect his legacy. “I just hope people understand how we got to this point,” said Cook. “Yes, Brett changed his mind. What’s wrong with that? How many people, in how many professions, change their mind? The Packers were pressuring him for an answer back in March. It’s not a coincidence that he made his announcement at that time. They wanted an answer. He gave them one. Then after he changed his mind, they no longer wanted him back. That’s how we got to this point.”

So now Favre will apparently choose between the Bucs or the Jets. For the team that doesn’t get him, an unwanted distraction will follow the franchise for much of the year — especially Favre plays well in his new city, and the quarterback of the team that let Brett get away doesn’t.

If Favre’s preference is to play against the Packers and to compete for a Super Bowl berth, the Bucs are the obvious choice. They host the Packers early in the 2008 season, and they play in a fairly diluted division.

The Jets, on the other hand, don’t play the Packers this year. And they compete directly with the Patriots, playing them twice. The last time Favre faced Tom Brady and company, Brett was on the wrong end of a 35-0 outcome.

SI.com's truth and Rumors section has a snippet from the Tampa Tribune, indicating that Favre will be a Buc within 24 hours:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/extr...jolt/index.html

Report: Pack to trade Favre to Bucs

The Brett Favre saga is about to end with the NFL icon in pewter. The Tribune has learned Favre will not stand in the way of a trade from Green Bay to Tampa Bay and the deal is likely to be finalized within 24 hours. The chances of the trade unraveling are remote and Favre has indicated to the Bucs directly that he is willing to change teams after 16 years of growing his legend in Green Bay. Even with the chance to win his starting job back potentially on the table, McCarthy said Favre couldn't seem to get past emotional wounds that were opened as tensions mounted in recent weeks. A trade could be coming next, with Tampa Bay re-emerging as a potential destination after seemingly being eliminated from consideration in recent weeks. Packers officials have believed throughout the past month that Favre's preference is to play for the Minnesota Vikings, but Favre could reconsider a trade to Tampa Bay -- or elsewhere -- if Green Bay holds firm in its commitment not to trade him to a division rival. The Green Bay Press-Gazette reported on its Web site Tuesday night that Favre was willing to play for the Buccaneers. (Tampa Tribune)

Thing is, from a pure football standpoint, I don't think the Jets are a bad option for him. They added two very good lineman to a crew that already had two promising young members, so he should get good protection. Coles and Cotchery may as well be Driver and Jennings, and T Jones is good enough that (along with what should be good line play) teams will have to respect the run.

Now, the D's been pretty shaky, but that means Brett's going to be able to be Brett. They'll likely be in a lot of shoot outs.

I'd imagine talks with Tampa will heat up,at least on GB's behalf. Whether or not Favre goes there, will remain to be seen. He's got his connection with Gruden and I'd imagine Favre is familiar with some of the playbook and terminology. At least GB could avoid the circus of Favre in Lambeau wearing different colors, but week 4 would be interesting. Maybe Favre,Gruden, and Allen are using Minny as a smoke screen to drive the price down for TB :wacko:

As I said yesterday at least two hours before Ed Werder broke the story that talks were heating up. :D

Thing is, from a pure football standpoint, I don't think the Jets are a bad option for him. They added two very good lineman to a crew that already had two promising young members, so he should get good protection. Coles and Cotchery may as well be Driver and Jennings, and T Jones is good enough that (along with what should be good line play) teams will have to respect the run.

Now, the D's been pretty shaky, but that means Brett's going to be able to be Brett. They'll likely be in a lot of shoot outs.

I agree here Detlef. Thing is, with all the $$$ we threw around this season, Favre's $12 million salary will not fit within our cap. Even if Pennington is released, the Jets can only cover half of Favre's salary. Any trade to the Jets will have to include some sort of contract restructuring.

I agree here Detlef. Thing is, with all the $$$ we threw around this season, Favre's $12 million salary will not fit within our cap. Even if Pennington is released, the Jets can only cover half of Favre's salary. Any trade to the Jets will have to include some sort of contract restructuring. And by the way, I'm serving baked pork with a piquant sauce...

fixed

I agree here Detlef. Thing is, with all the $$$ we threw around this season, Favre's $12 million salary will not fit within our cap. Even if Pennington is released, the Jets can only cover half of Favre's salary. Any trade to the Jets will have to include some sort of contract restructuring.

Well, it looks like he's going to Tampa anyway. I could have sworn I'd been hearing that possibility about as long as this circus has been going on but apparently, the story was broken by our own Big Ernie. Imagine that.

Well allow me to enlighten your stupid a$$. If favre insists on going to Minny or Chicago for that matter, the geniuses in the GB front office will continue to put up road blocks(based on their desire to have Favre somewhere other that the NFC North and probably as a little payback for making life difficult over thepast month or so) to that happening. I'd imagine if GB was going to consider a trade inthe NFC North, they'd be looking for maximum compensation (obviosly for their own good and to the detriment of a rival). Enter Tampa and Bruce Allen, who could offer less because GB would be much happier to send Favre there (as they've already demonstrated by contacting Tampa along with the Jets) So to put interms that detlef and DD(aka bronco Billy) can understand. Favre says he wants to go to Minny, GB doesn't want him to there so the price will be high, GB doesn't seem to have a problem shipping him to Tampa so maybe they take less to end this fiasco. :wacko: get it d-bag. And by the way, I'm planning abrunch with lobster bisque and cucumber sandwiches..... http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?show...p;#entry2525315

that explains why the price would be lower for tampa than it would be for minnesota. that doesn't come close to explaining your idiotic argument that minnesota being involved would drive down the price for tampa.

Galloway +++

Yep, I just bumped him up my board, but I'm debating how high. Prior to all this, I had him in the grab bag around #30. Just trying to decide if he goes top 20. Dude just keeps on going year after year as it is and he's just the type that would seem to do well with Favre at QB.

that explains why the price would be lower for tampa than it would be for minnesota. that doesn't come close to explaining your idiotic argument that minnesota being involved would drive down the price for tampa.

Simply because that is Favre's destination of choice, Minny is a division rival, and 100% IMO the GB front office has no desire to deal with the circus of Favre returning to Lambeau in the season opener on MNF in purple. How about this, if Minny makes the best offer, will the Packers accept it? If you think not, then my point is made. The Vikings were the worst case scenario destination for Favre in a myriad of ways. They are a division rival, they have a stout O-line and one of the best offensive weapons in the league, they play them twice a year(as everyone knows they open against Minny on MNF), and Favre has expressed a huge desire to go there (obviously Ted Thompson has no desire to give in to Favre) Tampa Bay automatically goes to a power position if Favre suddenly agrees to play there. They become the one trade partner acceptable to Favre and GB and could leverage that into a better deal. :wacko:

I like to bust the Packers fans chops on here but I honestly can say I would rather have Garcia at QB . He is a sound decision maker and a proven winner. (I know Favre wins as well) The propensity of Brett Chucking gut wrenching season ending INTS gets overlooked because "Brett is having so much fun out there and Brett plays the game like it should be played" In big spots he chokes. He was Choking bigtime against Dallas before he got knocked out and he appled up vs the Giants. Garcia makes every team he plays for better and is always in the playoffs. From a non football POV Brett is a homerun draw for tampa and the NFL though. No doubt about that. Looks like 2008 is another year we will hang off of the gray sack again during every broadcast

I like to bust the Packers fans chops on here but I honestly can say I would rather have Garcia at QB . He is a sound decision maker and a proven winner. (I know Favre wins as well) The propensity of Brett Chucking gut wrenching season ending INTS gets overlooked because "Brett is having so much fun out there and Brett plays the game like it should be played" In big spots he chokes. He was Choking bigtime against Dallas before he got knocked out and he appled up vs the Giants. Garcia makes every team he plays for better and is always in the playoffs. From a non football POV Brett is a homerun draw for tampa and the NFL though. No doubt about that. Looks like 2008 is another year we will hang off of the gray sack again during every broadcast

yeah but brett can throw the ball more than 30 yards downfield. and he isn't ghey.

I like to bust the Packers fans chops on here but I honestly can say I would rather have Garcia at QB . He is a sound decision maker and a proven winner. (I know Favre wins as well) The propensity of Brett Chucking gut wrenching season ending INTS gets overlooked because "Brett is having so much fun out there and Brett plays the game like it should be played" In big spots he chokes. He was Choking bigtime against Dallas before he got knocked out and he appled up vs the Giants.

Before getting knocked out of the Dallas game, Brett was 5/14 with two picks. Rodgers stepped in and went 18/26 for 201 yds, 1 TD, and zero turnovers. I won't say that Rodgers is on the same level as Brett because I don't think that's true, but the Dallas game shows why TT isn't allowing Brett to hold his organization hostage anymore.

It would be interesting to see free-spirited, gunslinger Brett playing under angry, control-freak Jon Gruden. The offense may be a great match, but I'm not so sure about the personalities.