Hat Trick

Rumor......Favre considering comeback

Thing is, from a pure football standpoint, I don't think the Jets are a bad option for him. They added two very good lineman to a crew that already had two promising young members, so he should get good protection. Coles and Cotchery may as well be Driver and Jennings, and T Jones is good enough that (along with what should be good line play) teams will have to respect the run.

Now, the D's been pretty shaky, but that means Brett's going to be able to be Brett. They'll likely be in a lot of shoot outs.

I'd imagine talks with Tampa will heat up,at least on GB's behalf. Whether or not Favre goes there, will remain to be seen. He's got his connection with Gruden and I'd imagine Favre is familiar with some of the playbook and terminology. At least GB could avoid the circus of Favre in Lambeau wearing different colors, but week 4 would be interesting. Maybe Favre,Gruden, and Allen are using Minny as a smoke screen to drive the price down for TB :wacko:

As I said yesterday at least two hours before Ed Werder broke the story that talks were heating up. :D

Thing is, from a pure football standpoint, I don't think the Jets are a bad option for him. They added two very good lineman to a crew that already had two promising young members, so he should get good protection. Coles and Cotchery may as well be Driver and Jennings, and T Jones is good enough that (along with what should be good line play) teams will have to respect the run.

Now, the D's been pretty shaky, but that means Brett's going to be able to be Brett. They'll likely be in a lot of shoot outs.

I agree here Detlef. Thing is, with all the $$$ we threw around this season, Favre's $12 million salary will not fit within our cap. Even if Pennington is released, the Jets can only cover half of Favre's salary. Any trade to the Jets will have to include some sort of contract restructuring.

I agree here Detlef. Thing is, with all the $$$ we threw around this season, Favre's $12 million salary will not fit within our cap. Even if Pennington is released, the Jets can only cover half of Favre's salary. Any trade to the Jets will have to include some sort of contract restructuring. And by the way, I'm serving baked pork with a piquant sauce...

fixed

McCarthy says "The train has left the station..."

Thats funny. How can a train run without the engine pulling it?

I agree here Detlef. Thing is, with all the $$$ we threw around this season, Favre's $12 million salary will not fit within our cap. Even if Pennington is released, the Jets can only cover half of Favre's salary. Any trade to the Jets will have to include some sort of contract restructuring.

Well, it looks like he's going to Tampa anyway. I could have sworn I'd been hearing that possibility about as long as this circus has been going on but apparently, the story was broken by our own Big Ernie. Imagine that.

Well, it looks like he's going to Tampa anyway. I could have sworn I'd been hearing that possibility about as long as this circus has been going on but apparently, the story was broken by our own Big Ernie. Imagine that.

Galloway +++

Well allow me to enlighten your stupid a$$. If favre insists on going to Minny or Chicago for that matter, the geniuses in the GB front office will continue to put up road blocks(based on their desire to have Favre somewhere other that the NFC North and probably as a little payback for making life difficult over thepast month or so) to that happening. I'd imagine if GB was going to consider a trade inthe NFC North, they'd be looking for maximum compensation (obviosly for their own good and to the detriment of a rival). Enter Tampa and Bruce Allen, who could offer less because GB would be much happier to send Favre there (as they've already demonstrated by contacting Tampa along with the Jets) So to put interms that detlef and DD(aka bronco Billy) can understand. Favre says he wants to go to Minny, GB doesn't want him to there so the price will be high, GB doesn't seem to have a problem shipping him to Tampa so maybe they take less to end this fiasco. :wacko: get it d-bag. And by the way, I'm planning abrunch with lobster bisque and cucumber sandwiches..... http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?show...p;#entry2525315

that explains why the price would be lower for tampa than it would be for minnesota. that doesn't come close to explaining your idiotic argument that minnesota being involved would drive down the price for tampa.

Galloway +++

Yep, I just bumped him up my board, but I'm debating how high. Prior to all this, I had him in the grab bag around #30. Just trying to decide if he goes top 20. Dude just keeps on going year after year as it is and he's just the type that would seem to do well with Favre at QB.

that explains why the price would be lower for tampa than it would be for minnesota. that doesn't come close to explaining your idiotic argument that minnesota being involved would drive down the price for tampa.

Simply because that is Favre's destination of choice, Minny is a division rival, and 100% IMO the GB front office has no desire to deal with the circus of Favre returning to Lambeau in the season opener on MNF in purple. How about this, if Minny makes the best offer, will the Packers accept it? If you think not, then my point is made. The Vikings were the worst case scenario destination for Favre in a myriad of ways. They are a division rival, they have a stout O-line and one of the best offensive weapons in the league, they play them twice a year(as everyone knows they open against Minny on MNF), and Favre has expressed a huge desire to go there (obviously Ted Thompson has no desire to give in to Favre) Tampa Bay automatically goes to a power position if Favre suddenly agrees to play there. They become the one trade partner acceptable to Favre and GB and could leverage that into a better deal. :wacko:

I like to bust the Packers fans chops on here but I honestly can say I would rather have Garcia at QB . He is a sound decision maker and a proven winner. (I know Favre wins as well) The propensity of Brett Chucking gut wrenching season ending INTS gets overlooked because "Brett is having so much fun out there and Brett plays the game like it should be played" In big spots he chokes. He was Choking bigtime against Dallas before he got knocked out and he appled up vs the Giants. Garcia makes every team he plays for better and is always in the playoffs. From a non football POV Brett is a homerun draw for tampa and the NFL though. No doubt about that. Looks like 2008 is another year we will hang off of the gray sack again during every broadcast

I like to bust the Packers fans chops on here but I honestly can say I would rather have Garcia at QB . He is a sound decision maker and a proven winner. (I know Favre wins as well) The propensity of Brett Chucking gut wrenching season ending INTS gets overlooked because "Brett is having so much fun out there and Brett plays the game like it should be played" In big spots he chokes. He was Choking bigtime against Dallas before he got knocked out and he appled up vs the Giants. Garcia makes every team he plays for better and is always in the playoffs. From a non football POV Brett is a homerun draw for tampa and the NFL though. No doubt about that. Looks like 2008 is another year we will hang off of the gray sack again during every broadcast

yeah but brett can throw the ball more than 30 yards downfield. and he isn't ghey.

I like to bust the Packers fans chops on here but I honestly can say I would rather have Garcia at QB . He is a sound decision maker and a proven winner. (I know Favre wins as well) The propensity of Brett Chucking gut wrenching season ending INTS gets overlooked because "Brett is having so much fun out there and Brett plays the game like it should be played" In big spots he chokes. He was Choking bigtime against Dallas before he got knocked out and he appled up vs the Giants.

Before getting knocked out of the Dallas game, Brett was 5/14 with two picks. Rodgers stepped in and went 18/26 for 201 yds, 1 TD, and zero turnovers. I won't say that Rodgers is on the same level as Brett because I don't think that's true, but the Dallas game shows why TT isn't allowing Brett to hold his organization hostage anymore.

It would be interesting to see free-spirited, gunslinger Brett playing under angry, control-freak Jon Gruden. The offense may be a great match, but I'm not so sure about the personalities.

As I said yesterday at least two hours before Ed Werder broke the story that talks were heating up. :wacko:

Yeah, and you said the following 7 days ago:

Pay attention BB over the next couple of days when Roger Goodell (who probably knows a wee bit more than you about the NFL) forces the Packers to release or trade Favre. As I said, the man has a right to work :D:D

When does Goodell step in and force the Packers' hand, as you stated would happen 5 days ago at the latest?

Before getting knocked out of the Dallas game, Brett was 5/14 with two picks. Rodgers stepped in and went 18/26 for 201 yds, 1 TD, and zero turnovers. I won't say that Rodgers is on the same level as Brett because I don't think that's true, but the Dallas game shows why TT isn't allowing Brett to hold his organization hostage anymore.

It would be interesting to see free-spirited, gunslinger Brett playing under angry, control-freak Jon Gruden. The offense may be a great match, but I'm not so sure about the personalities.

I think that INT with GB on the doorstep of the SB really sealed Favre's fate. It was a very poorly thrown ball that the WR had literally no chance to catch - and it was Brett being Brett. With the gunslingers comes the gunslinger's mentality - that he can force action with his arm that other experienced QBs wouldn't try.

Yeah, and you said the following 7 days ago:

When does Goodell step in and force the Packers' hand, as you stated would happen 5 days ago at the latest?

We should just call him Nostradumbass.

I think that INT with GB on the doorstep of the SB really sealed Favre's fate. It was a very poorly thrown ball that the WR had literally no chance to catch - and it was Brett being Brett. With the gunslingers comes the gunslinger's mentality - that he can force action with his arm that other experienced QBs wouldn't try.

Was that one of the worst passes of all time? probably. Did that one pass 'seal his fate'? Not a chance.

Was that one of the worst passes of all time? probably. Did that one pass 'seal his fate'? Not a chance.

So you are saying that GB decided he was history for the following season before the championship game and would have followed through regardless of the outcome & potentially a SB appearance, and possibly even a SB win?

So you are saying that GB decided he was history for the following season before the championship game and would have followed through regardless of the outcome & potentially a SB appearance, and possibly even a SB win?

But didn't GB leave his retirement up to Brett, even asking a month later if he was sure?

I agree that has a big part of it as well. Brett throwing an INT while the Rams or Vikings were slicing up the Packers D earlier in this decade was understandable. But you absolutely cannot play that way in a tight game - especially a CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP game - with a stud defense at your disposal.

And the revelation that Brett's really just all about Brett is sad, as he was one of my favorite players for a long time. Not only has it been reflected in the recent events and the way that he reacted to GB signing Rodgers, but one can argue that it's part of his "gunslinger" mentality as well.

But didn't GB leave his retirement up to Brett, even asking a month later if he was sure?

Between the DAL game and the INT vs NY, I think there weren't too many tears shed by GB management when he decided to retire. It could also be the reason why GB has taken such a hard line with him - they were 100% sold on moving on and going with Rodgers when Favre crossed them up with his "unretirement" and then subsequently trying to bully GB through the press to get everything to swing in his favor.

I think that GB decided that they had enough of the "Will I retire or won't I retire" saga. When he retired and they made their plans for life without Brett, the Packers intended on keeping to their plans (as well they should have) even after he decided to come back.

The INT could not have helped; let's face it -- if GB beats the Giants and even just makes it into the Super Bowl, Favre is the man under center this year, even if it all played out just as it has thus far.

I think that GB decided that they had enough of the "Will I retire or won't I retire" saga. When he retired and they made their plans for life without Brett, the Packers intended on keeping to their plans (as well they should have) even after he decided to come back.

The INT could not have helped; let's face it -- if GB beats the Giants and even just makes it into the Super Bowl, Favre is the man under center this year, even if it all played out just as it has thus far.

Exactly.

Yep, I just bumped him up my board, but I'm debating how high. Prior to all this, I had him in the grab bag around #30. Just trying to decide if he goes top 20. Dude just keeps on going year after year as it is and he's just the type that would seem to do well with Favre at QB.

Farve should obviously not hurt Galloway's value, but I'm questioning how much he should really be bumped up. There was already a pretty good repertoire between Garcia and Galloway and you ought to consider how much upside any 80 year old WR can realistically have even if Montana came back in his prime. Farve has made a habit of making names out of young 'unknown' WRs. I see bigger potential bump for whoever the heck wins the #2/3 WR position.