[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rumor......Favre considering comeback

Hat Trick

Did Montana sully his legacy by going to KC. A little maybe but don't we still remember his in a SF jersey when we remember him?

Really, it's less about Favre's legacy than the TEAM. When you get down to it, how "unthinkable" was the Colts trading Unitas, the Jets trading Namath, or the Niners trading Montana? But all three happened. Let's not forget that Marino and Young both stuck their toes back in the water after saying they were retired.

The whole scenario isn't exactly the first time we've been through this turn of events.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think The Packers are better off with Rodgers. I respect Favre and his accomplishments but I honestly feel in a big game when he is under pressure he just starts chucking and it hurts his team. The Dallas game and the Giants playoff game is a perfect example. Dallas was on their way to embarrasing GB that night until Rodgers came in. When Rodgers was under pressure he used his legs to either make a play or buy time to throw the ball. He didnt just chuck it all willy nilly and hope for the best. If Favre isnt coming back and this hype is all erroneous media driven stuff then I fell bad for Farve because it isnt his fault. If he is considering coming back then his "retirement" was weak and IMO he looks bad .

Frankly I'd like to see him with Gruden in Tampa. I don't think he can handle very cold weather anymore and it's close to home. If he wants to play let him.

No way. Why trade him to a team that made a playoff run last year? If he's decided he wants to come back for the love of the game, trade him to a team that has no shot like Miami, or sit his ass on the bench. For the entire year. Ted's got enough under the cap, and Favre in that situation would blink first and stay retired. He retired for the right reasons, he needs to stay gone. This is potentially tainting his legacy.

No way. Why trade him to a team that made a playoff run last year? If he's decided he wants to come back for the love of the game, trade him to a team that has no shot like Miami, or sit his ass on the bench. For the entire year. Ted's got enough under the cap, and Favre in that situation would blink first and stay retired. He retired for the right reasons, he needs to stay gone. This is potentially tainting his legacy.

Let me preface this by saying this isn't an emotion issue with me. I'm glad Brett spent all these years with the team and wish him the best but we need to move on.

He really needs something to do with his life. Maybe start a fishing/hunting show. Maybe become a HS coach like his father. It seems he has nothing he loves to do but play football.

As for playing again...

I don't think that's the issue with tampa.

It's too late with most teams. He should have worked this out months ago. Tampa already has a QB and what's left are young teams that can't make the playoffs except for Chicago perhaps but doubt he'd go there. Atlanta is a possibility to play until Ryan is ready if he wants to be close to home but they and Miami aren't playoff teams.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...avre/index.html

Good article by peter king. Seems like a pretty honest portrayal of the situation and what might happen.

VERY solid story. :wacko:

Here's the only part I dispute:

And there's no guarantee Favre would agree to go to just any team if he chooses to come back. Don't put it past him and agent Bus Cook to refuse to report to a team Favre doesn't want to play for.

This might come into play if the Packers were interested in obtaining maximum value for him in a trade. That's not the case. They'd be more concerned with trading him QUICKLY than what they'd get in return. So, if all they ask for is a 7th-round pick, they could trade him to any QB-needy team with even the slightest hope of convincing him to play for them. Favre can't stop them from doing that.

There are only a handful of teams that might be interested: Jets, Dolphins, Vikings, Bears, Lions, Ravens, Falcons, and Bucs. Take out the NFC North teams. Maybe even all the NFC teams. Then take out the teams who can't afford to take on Favre's salary (unless he's willing to restructure). You're left with very few, so I can't imagine Favre could feel that he has a lot of leverage in "choosing" his new team.

Here's another good story on the subject: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/sto...mp;sportCat=nfl (by Gene Wojciechowski). I tend to agree with most of what it says, but I'd tend to support whatever McCarthy decides, since he has the pulse of the locker room at this point.

he'd be losing a lot of money if he did it - but he'd wouldn't be screwing the pack...

...any chance of him renegotiating his contract before a trade so the cap hit to the pack isn't so much?

not that anyone here has the answer to that.

Reading some more about this this morning... Pat Kirwin saying there's an 80% chance Favre plays this season.

So, let's say he comes back and plays (for whichever team)... aren't we just going to be going through the exact same thing now with Favre every year? Unless he sustains a major injury, we will have to endure Favre retirement and unretirement speculation possibly for another few years. It makes my brain feel just a little more numb than usual.

On a happier note though... it cracks me up that the Packers have this big Favre retirement honor/celebration planned for the opening Monday Night game against the Vikings. Good luck with that Green Bay! :wacko:

On a happier note though... it cracks me up that the Packers have this big Favre retirement honor/celebration planned for the opening Monday Night game against the Vikings. Good luck with that Green Bay! :wacko:

How funny would it be if GB cut Favre and he signed with the Vikings. That retirement honor/celebration would be pretty awesome.

How does Favre returning relate to the Madden curse? :wacko:

Some coments about his retirement

Here are some quotes from current and former NFL players, courtesy of NFL Network:

Former QB John Elway: “The hard thing is it’s always difficult to take that last little step and say, ‘I’m done, I’m finished playing something that I’ve played for so long and worked so hard to do and loved to have done.’ It’s very difficult to take that last little step. Obviously, the longer you get away from the last season, the closer you get to training camp and you get that excitement back and it’s even more difficult to step away, so I don’t really know. If we’re getting this close, I think that Brett wants to come back and if he gets that opportunity whether it’s at Green Bay or somewhere else and he goes into a situation where he feels like he has a chance to win, I think he’ll come back.”

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: “Brett Favre is one of the best to play, he can do whatever he wants. It’s something that when you have the best quarterback, he makes a decision to do what he feels he needs to do, and I’m sure (the Green Bay Packers) need to stick by whatever (the decision is).”

Cowboys QB Tony Romo: “Oh yeah, he’s coming back for sure, are you kidding? The guy loves to play the game. The guy played at a high, high level last year and I know that if I was (on his team) you always want a good quarterback.”

Former DE Warren Sapp: “After you’ve played this game for as long as he has, you have that decision and the right to make that decision when it comes. It’s just one of those things where it’s just like, hey – it’s an end of an era, but he’s ending it, so it’s on him. I’ve had fun chasing him and watching him over the years. It’s just one of those decisions only him and his family are going to be able to sit down and make, but I’m sure he’ll make the right one.”

Coincidentally, Roethlisberger and Romo will be in Aaron Rodgers' group Friday at the American Century Championship celebrity golf tournament. Coverage will be on ESPN.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

How funny would it be if GB cut Favre and he signed with the Vikings. That retirement honor/celebration would be pretty awesome.

Woodosn and Al Harris return 3 passes for touchdowns. They demand their fair share of lame duck passes.

Brett wouldn't go there. I see Brett and Kevin jones in Tampa. Close to home, he knows Gruden...

Reading some more about this this morning... Pat Kirwin saying there's an 80% chance Favre plays this season.

So, let's say he comes back and plays (for whichever team)... aren't we just going to be going through the exact same thing now with Favre every year? Unless he sustains a major injury, we will have to endure Favre retirement and unretirement speculation possibly for another few years. It makes my brain feel just a little more numb than usual.

On a happier note though... it cracks me up that the Packers have this big Favre retirement honor/celebration planned for the opening Monday Night game against the Vikings. Good luck with that Green Bay! :D

If Brett comes back to the Packers and plays in the MNF game against Minnesota, he just may wish he'd stay retired after Jared Allen gets done with him. :wacko:

Woodosn and Al Harris return 3 passes for touchdowns. They demand their fair share of lame duck passes.

Brett wouldn't go there. I see Brett and Kevin jones in Tampa. Close to home, he knows Gruden...

I highly doubt he goes to the Vikes either. I don't know if he would be welcomed in MN with open arms, and I doubt he would want to play for the Vikings even if they made an offer.

It would just be hilarious in theory though.

I highly doubt he goes to the Vikes either. I don't know if he would be welcomed in MN with open arms, and I doubt he would want to play for the Vikings even if they made an offer.

It would just be hilarious in theory though.

That's true. The Vikings fans would probably welcome it if it meant a win . Favre in Tampa with Sapp retiring a Buc would be ironic too.

Yeah he wants to keep playing. What a :wacko:

He's like Montana. He wants to play.

He's not doing it the right way. He needs to quit with the whispers and make a public statement. He's handled this with little class.

we will have to endure Favre retirement and unretirement speculation possibly for another few years. It makes my brain feel just a little more numb than usual.

KISS farewell tour #43534

Edited by piratesownninjas

He's not doing it the right way. He needs to quit with the whispers and make a public statement. He's handled this with little class.

He hasn't made a public statement most likely b/c the Packers are still figuring out how to handle the situation.

He hasn't made a public statement most likely b/c the Packers are still figuring out how to handle the situation.

McCarthy's back...

Kids To McCarthy: What About Favre?

Packers players James Jones, Brandon Jackson and Jason Spitz spent some time playing dodgeball with kids on Tuesday as part of the team's ongoing "Tailgate Tour."

Today, coach Mike McCarthy, who is back from vacation, played his own form of dodgeball with some kids who fired Brett Favre comeback questions at him during an appearance at the Boys & Girls Club.

Here is the mildly entertaining transcript...

Kid: Is Brett Favre coming back? :D

McCarthy: These are things that we'll get to on a later date.

Kid: How well do you think the Packers will do without Brett Favre? :wacko:

McCarthy: We're going to be a good football team regardless of what happens. It's a football team that has worked very hard since the end of last season. The team has done a great job of improving. We have a big training camp coming up and that's always a big part of our preparation.

Kid: Who is going to be the new QB for the Packers?

McCarthy: I'll tell you what. Maybe the media didn't have to come here today after all.

Kid: Why did Brett Favre quit?

Another Kid: He didn't actually quit. (laughter) :D

Kid: How old is Brett Favre?

McCarthy: He's 38.

Asked about Favre by reporters after his session with kids, McCarthy declined further comment.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com