[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rumor......Favre considering comeback

Hat Trick

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See my post above.

Yup. And this is going to be an absolute nightmare for the Packers since they don't seem to want him back.

HATTIESBURG, Miss -- Three days after a conference call with Green Bay Packers team officials on Tuesday in which quarterback Brett Favre emphatically expressed his desire to play in 2008, Favre on Friday formally asked for his contractual release from the Packers in a letter, sources close to Favre and the team said.

The letter was sent by Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, via overnight mail on Thursday and arrived at the Packers facility Friday morning.

Cook, on behalf of Favre, expressed a desire to have an amicable parting, as the Packers have been reluctant to embrace his return. Favre announced his retirement in early March.

During a conference call on Tuesday that included Packers general manager Ted Thompson, Packers coach Mike McCarthy, Favre and Cook, sources say that the quarterback stated emphatically that he wanted to play again.

When Favre was reminded by the Packers' brass that it was in March when the quarterback said publicly and privately that he wasn't 100 percent committed to football, sources said Favre acknowledged his state of mind at the time, but added that he never felt he was a 100 percent committed in March of previous years, either. Favre felt he had to make a decision to retire because the Packers were pressing him for an answer, a source said.

During the same conference call on Tuesday, neither Thompson nor McCarthy were openly receptive or enthused about Favre's desire to un-retire, the sources said, prompting Favre to direct Cook to request his release from the Packers. Favre has three years remaining on his contract for a total of $39 million. He currently is on the reserve-retired list.

Favre wants a mutual parting rather than having to force the Packers' hand by writing a letter to request his reinstatement to the active 80-man roster. Under league policy, the team would have to comply or release him.

Cook's letter did suggest that Favre's accomplishments for the franchise merited the team honoring his request to be released, also asking that the action be taken "with no strings attached." Favre does not want to be traded, sources said, because he wants the freedom of choice to play for any other franchise.

Favre has been in communication with McCarthy during the past month about his desire to play but until this week had not spoken with Thompson.

Neither Thompson nor McCarthy were available for comment on Friday.

Favre did not wish to speak publicly about his situation when approached while working out Friday morning at a local high school in Hattiesburg. He appeared to be in excellent physical condition and threw the ball with ease, even throwing a football 50 yards "on a rope" with high school receivers. He has been throwing and running with the team for more than a month.

Favre was relaxed and in a positive frame of mind, joking and telling stories about himself, former teammates and coaches. He planned to continue working out next week.

IF they actually release him, is MIN really that far out of the question? Add QB and they could be poised for a SB run, whatever happens this is going to be a lot of fun to watch.

:wacko:

Sadly, it's probably the most likely option.

He's not doing it the right way. He needs to quit with the whispers and make a public statement. He's handled this with little class.

Class - the most overused term here on the huddle. Are you kidding me?!?!? The guy loves the game, made a decision that he regrets and is trying to play again - big deal. Why do people care so much on what one person wants to do? He, like all of us, is human. The media is creating the frenzy, not Favre. He is trying to handle things privately but the media is creating a whirlwind based on rumors.

Give the guy a break, let him do what he wants - the NFL and the rest of this planet will go on with or without him playing.

I don't see GB letting him walk. Trade or stay seems like only options...

I think they want to keep him out of Minnesota and Chicago. It will be attempted amiably. NFL Live suggested the Redskins(WCO from Seattle) and Tampa. Snyder loves stars.

As cool as it would be to have Favre return to Green Bay as a Viking for the season opener, I would not want to see him on this squad. I see him going into a massive nosedive if he tries to come back for another team. How long does it take for a veteran QB to learn a new system? The Vikings players have been hearing how this is T. Jackson's team, then suddenly a change a few weeks before camp opens...Chilly would lose all credibility. There would also be a big clash between his ego and Chilly's. Stay retired...

I'm a fan of Favre and all of his accomplishments, but this whole thing has obviously been mishandled. I don't think the Packers can be faulted if they don't want to bring him back because of the obvious setback to Rodgers. My question is who would give fair value in trade when the odds are Favre will either retire again next year or cause the same drama?

GB has to keep him or trade him... no way will they let him be out right released, that would incredibly stupid with CHI and MN and DET all needing QB's. If they trade him to ATL or somewhere equally awful we will see how much he wants to continue to play.

Honestly, I think it would be a nightmare if Favre came to the Vikings. They would have to be ready to totally scrap the Tarvaris project 100% in order to bring Favre in as the obvious starter. And frankly most of the Vikes fans would be downright hostile towards someone who will forever be a Packer at heart. Each game with Favre as the Vikings QB against the Packers would come with incredible scrutiny of each and every pass to make sure that Favre doesn't just roll over and take a record-breaking sack for someone he likes... or throws an interception to kill a possible game winning drive. It just wouldn't be a good fit.

I just read the priority news and they mentioned Atlanta.

I really like that Atlanta thing. Isn't that where he started? He'd really put people in the seats and Matt Ryan would be allowed to develop. I also think that Favre can do something with the wides on the team (White, Robinson, Douglas)

I just read the priority news and they mentioned Atlanta.

I really like that Atlanta thing. Isn't that where he started? He'd really put people in the seats and Matt Ryan would be allowed to develop. I also think that Favre can do something with the wides on the team (White, Robinson, Douglas)

That actually does make some sense... it would be a very nice way to put Vick behind that franchise and come full circle with Favre back mentoring the rookie future starter.

ESPNs Mortenson just reported Favre has asked the Packers to release him.

Claims he in unhappy the way the Packers have handled him wanting to come back...

Sorry Brett, it's not all about you...

+1

Class - the most overused term here on the huddle. Are you kidding me?!?!? The guy loves the game, made a decision that he regrets and is trying to play again - big deal. Why do people care so much on what one person wants to do? He, like all of us, is human. The media is creating the frenzy, not Favre. He is trying to handle things privately but the media is creating a whirlwind based on rumors.

Give the guy a break, let him do what he wants - the NFL and the rest of this planet will go on with or without him playing.

Thanks for the citation Huddle Police. Favre has held the team hostage for years now with the retirement talks, then finally does it. The team moves on and drafts TWO quarterbacks in this draft to go along with the former 1st rounder that's been waiting in the wings. The media isn't creating it, Favre is by floating things out to Mort and Peter King. Him saying that he wants an unconditional release is a joke. I hope Ted pays him the 12 million and deactivates his ass.

The Packers have released a statement on Brett Favre, stating that they "wanted him to return and welcomed him back on more than one occasion."

"The finality of his decision to retire was accepted by the organization," the statement continues. "At that point, the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team. As a retired player, Brett has the option to apply for reinstatement with Commissioner Goodell. If that were to occur, he would become an active member of the Green Bay Packers. As always, the Packers will do what's right and in the best interest of the team." This statement indicates that Green Bay will not give up all leverage and just cut Favre. GM Ted Thompson could look to trade him first.

Source: packers.com

Trade him to the Skins. It looks like TT is setting up for a trade.

Edited by Randall

Thanks for the citation Huddle Police. Favre has held the team hostage for years now with the retirement talks, then finally does it. The team moves on and drafts TWO quarterbacks in this draft to go along with the former 1st rounder that's been waiting in the wings. The media isn't creating it, Favre is by floating things out to Mort and Peter King. Him saying that he wants an unconditional release is a joke. I hope Ted pays him the 12 million and deactivates his ass.

I think it's a beginning negotiating poosition. Ted then counters and says no frick in way. :wacko:

I believe both sides want to work something out amiably. I love Brett and wish him well, but somewhere besides the NFC North.

Interesting story from Jay Glazer:

It seems that Brett Favre isn't getting his way in Green Bay anymore.

The Packers legend asked the team for his unconditional release on Friday, but the organization has no intention of granting that request, FOXSports.com has learned. If anything, sources say, the team is prepared to welcome Favre back as a backup to Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers has worked as the team's starter for the last five months and Green Bay has been operating under that assumption since Favre announced his retirement in the beginning of March. Favre re-affirmed his decision to retire at the end of March.

"The finality of (Favre's) decision to retire was accepted by the organization," the team said in a statement released Friday. "At that point, the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team."

Green Bay would likely trade Favre before releasing him, sources indicate. The team has the cap space to take on Favre's huge salary, but it would rather deal him than give him up for nothing, if those were the two options.

Friday's letter asking for his release is just the latest in what has been quite a soap opera involving Favre and the team this offseason.

As word of his desire to play leaked out, the team has treated the news largely as hearsay, as this is not the first time this offseason that Favre has made such a request.

In late March during the NFL Owners Meeting, Favre informed the team he wanted to play again, multiple sources have told FOXSports.com. Not only did he insist he was returning, both head coach Mike McCarthy and GM Ted Thompson agreed that he still had something left and they would welcome him back. Despite the fact that those close to Favre have stated Thompson did not want Favre back, Thompson was the deciding factor in agreeing it was not too late to have him un-retire at that time and start for the Packers in 2008.

In fact, team brass went as far as chartering a jet to fly to Mississippi to make it official later that week. The agreement was that the NFL's all-time leading passer would return for the year but help make it easier and palatable for Rodgers, who would have to wait another season to take the helm.

The group was set for this huge move when Favre suddenly phoned the team two days before the meeting was to take place and informed McCarthy that he had changed his mind yet again and was staying retired. While team officials were stunned by Favre's reversal, they made the decision to move on and draft his replacement, a move that Favre at the time understood. The Packers selected two quarterbacks in April's draft, Louisville's Brian Brohm in the 2nd round and LSU's Matt Flynn in the 7th round.

Then, a few weeks ago, Favre phoned the team stating he had that "itch" again to play. However, since he had jilted the Packers in March, the team simply took his latest request with a grain of salt. In addition, the team has put considerable time and attention into making Rodgers comfortable as the heir apparent.

The bottom line at this point is the soap opera is unfortunately growing and likely won't die any time soon.

I think it's a beginning negotiating poosition. Ted then counters and says no frick in way. :wacko:

I believe both sides want to work something out amiably. I love Brett and wish him well, but somewhere besides the NFC North.

I just see it as classless to retire, wait for Ted Thompson to draft Brohm and Flynn, then say he wants to come back... The team has a 1st, 2nd and a late round pick invested into the position. The team already committed to move on, so this move looks as if Favre was up to something all along and waiting to get the Packers organization into a bad position. This guy cried a few months ago talking about how he loved the packers, the fans and all of that... It was all crap. This guy hasn't been on board with Ted Thompson from day one, and is also the same guy that after Sherman was fired said he wouldn't learn a new offensive system. He's been trying to manipulate things for years now. He's trying to force the organizations hand and I think it's trash.

James Jones and Greg Jennings have both came out and said that Aaron Rodgers is the quarterback in Green Bay, so there are at least a few players that are for Rodgers. If they were to allow Favre to come back and take over that makes a huge statement about the organization and how the GM isn't in power. It makes at least one of your early round picks turn into a waste and just isn't worth it. This is the youngest team in the league, and is poised to be a power for years to come... Let Rodgers grow with the rest of the offense and potentially turn into something special. If Favre comes back we have one more year of him, then more drama next year and we have to groom Brohm for a while... When does it end with the retirement? Next year? Two years? It's a headache that this team doesn't need.

I also don't think they should flat out cut him. That's asinine to even ask for it. I don't care if you're Brett Favre, you can't call your shots all the time. For him to land in Chicago or with the Vikings would be foolish for Ted Thompson to allow. Don't cut him him. I whole heartedly want Ted to notify him that he will not be cut, but he's welcome to find a trade, or be prepared to be deactivated the entire season.

Interesting story from Jay Glazer:

It seems that Brett Favre isn't getting his way in Green Bay anymore.

The Packers legend asked the team for his unconditional release on Friday, but the organization has no intention of granting that request, FOXSports.com has learned. If anything, sources say, the team is prepared to welcome Favre back as a backup to Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers has worked as the team's starter for the last five months and Green Bay has been operating under that assumption since Favre announced his retirement in the beginning of March. Favre re-affirmed his decision to retire at the end of March.

"The finality of (Favre's) decision to retire was accepted by the organization," the team said in a statement released Friday. "At that point, the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team."

Green Bay would likely trade Favre before releasing him, sources indicate. The team has the cap space to take on Favre's huge salary, but it would rather deal him than give him up for nothing, if those were the two options.

Friday's letter asking for his release is just the latest in what has been quite a soap opera involving Favre and the team this offseason.

As word of his desire to play leaked out, the team has treated the news largely as hearsay, as this is not the first time this offseason that Favre has made such a request.

In late March during the NFL Owners Meeting, Favre informed the team he wanted to play again, multiple sources have told FOXSports.com. Not only did he insist he was returning, both head coach Mike McCarthy and GM Ted Thompson agreed that he still had something left and they would welcome him back. Despite the fact that those close to Favre have stated Thompson did not want Favre back, Thompson was the deciding factor in agreeing it was not too late to have him un-retire at that time and start for the Packers in 2008.

In fact, team brass went as far as chartering a jet to fly to Mississippi to make it official later that week. The agreement was that the NFL's all-time leading passer would return for the year but help make it easier and palatable for Rodgers, who would have to wait another season to take the helm.

The group was set for this huge move when Favre suddenly phoned the team two days before the meeting was to take place and informed McCarthy that he had changed his mind yet again and was staying retired. While team officials were stunned by Favre's reversal, they made the decision to move on and draft his replacement, a move that Favre at the time understood. The Packers selected two quarterbacks in April's draft, Louisville's Brian Brohm in the 2nd round and LSU's Matt Flynn in the 7th round.

Then, a few weeks ago, Favre phoned the team stating he had that "itch" again to play. However, since he had jilted the Packers in March, the team simply took his latest request with a grain of salt. In addition, the team has put considerable time and attention into making Rodgers comfortable as the heir apparent.

The bottom line at this point is the soap opera is unfortunately growing and likely won't die any time soon.

If this is true, the Huddle Police Dept. owes me an apology. All of my Favre memoribilia is going up on Ebay in the next few days.

I just see it as classless to retire, wait for Ted Thompson to draft Brohm and Flynn, then say he wants to come back... The team has a 1st, 2nd and a late round pick invested into the position. The team already committed to move on, so this move looks as if Favre was up to something all along and waiting to get the Packers organization into a bad position. This guy cried a few months ago talking about how he loved the packers, the fans and all of that... It was all crap. This guy hasn't been on board with Ted Thompson from day one, and is also the same guy that after Sherman was fired said he wouldn't learn a new offensive system. He's been trying to manipulate things for years now. He's trying to force the organizations hand and I think it's trash.

It could be but we don't really know how this transpired. His mother saying it's all Ted Thompson's fault reminds me of Javon Walker.

It looks weird to tell the truth.

He should have waited longer(early april) to decide if to come back but when he did was accused of stalling every year. One year he did do that but if he decided in early april that would be 3 weeks before the draft.

So my question is did he feel pressured to decide or was he tryng to get a Strahan type deal and avoid training camp? We really don't know.

I agree it's time to move on with Rodgers and hope they can trade Favre to Washington or Tampa. I'm not convinced of what you say about Thompson and Favre manipulating the team. I can't make those assumptions without more evidence.

Doesn't matter though. Trade him and let's move on.