[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rumor......Favre considering comeback

Hat Trick

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The Green Bay Packers' general manager and coach say they don't plan to grant Brett Favre's request for his release.

GM Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy told The Associated Press on Saturday that the star quarterback was welcome to rejoin the team but would have to be a backup.

It was their first public comments since Favre demanded his release this week. Favre held a tearful news conference to announce his retirement March 6.

Thompson and McCarthy did not want to discuss a possible trade. Thompson said he had not received any inquiries as of Saturday morning.

Packers are now saying that they will welcome Favre back with open arms....as a backup.

I am not sure what to make of this. I can't imagine that will make life easy in the locker room. Not to mention the hayday the media will have with this after any GB loss. I wonder if the front office is bluffing, hoping the recent statement will drive Favre into staying retired.

So what would be his options at this point?

Work out a trade. His agent Cook worked out a deal with McNair for a 4th round pick. He may be trying to do the same with Baltimore or Tampa/Minnesota right now. I believe Minnesota would have to greatly outbid Tampa to get him.

Would the Chiefs be interested?

"The Tampa Tribune believes Bucs coach Jon Gruden will "be first in line" in the Brett Favre bidding if the Packers take him off reserve/retired.

Gruden got Bucs management to give up a draft pick for waffling QB Jake Plummer, so think of what he'd get them to part with for Favre. We're not sure if Gruden and Favre were at all close when Gruden coached the Green Bay wide receivers from 1994-1995, but they do have some history. For what it's worth, we don't think there's a better fit across the league.

Packers are now saying that they will welcome Favre back with open arms....as a backup.

I am not sure what to make of this. I can't imagine that will make life easy in the locker room. Not to mention the hayday the media will have with this after any GB loss. I wonder if the front office is bluffing, hoping the recent statement will drive Favre into staying retired.

Ted Thompson is in a way telling Favre to remained retired. Favre wouldn't come back as a backup to Rodgers. Obviously he'll do almost anything to damage TT, but he wouldn't go that far to taint his image... Finishing up his career as a backup... :wacko:

Ted Thompson is in a way telling Favre to remained retired. Favre wouldn't come back as a backup to Rodgers. Obviously he'll do almost anything to damage TT, but he wouldn't go that far to taint his image... Finishing up his career as a backup... :wacko:

I don't think Ted cares whether he stays retired or not if he can get a good draft pick out of the deal. :D Cook got a 4th for McNair. Would Ted prefer that to his staying retired? I think he would. Ted LOVES drafting.

Brett wanted Ted to get players that would help him get to the Super Bowl while he has still somewhat young. Ted's stubborn so I don't blame Favre there. Mike Sherman is the one who wasted all those years.

Being a backup was never serious. They are only saying Rodgers is now the man in my opinion. Rodgers has a lot of pressure. Not only is Favre there but Brohm is a second round pick.

I don't think Ted cares whether he stays retired or not if he can get a good draft pick out of the deal. :wacko: Cook got a 4th for McNair. Would Ted prefer that to his staying retired? I think he would. Ted LOVES drafting.

Brett wanted Ted to get players that would help him get to the Super Bowl while he has still somewhat young. Ted's stubborn so I don't blame Favre there. Mike Sherman is the one who wasted all those years.

Being a backup was never serious. They are only saying Rodgers is now the man in my opinion. Rodgers has a lot of pressure. Not only is Favre there but Brohm is a second round pick.

I guess maybe I just can't conceive that Favre could realistically be traded/play for another team. Obviously if someone was serious and offered a 3-4 rounder then go for it.

I don't think it was Ted being stubborn, but Ted doing what's best for the Green Bay Packers long term, which Favre couldn't care any less about.

I guess maybe I just can't conceive that Favre could realistically be traded/play for another team. Obviously if someone was serious and offered a 3-4 rounder then go for it.

I don't think it was Ted being stubborn, but Ted doing what's best for the Green Bay Packers long term, which Favre couldn't care any less about.

That's true but Favre really wanted Randy Moss. I think he was a big issue and Favre didn't want to wait a few years.

I think Brett cared about the team but also wanted some immediate help. Ted has proven he's good at drafting but often passes up needs for what he considers best for the team long term. That's what I meant by stubborn. He really didn't try and give Brett help and also draft for the future of the team. I'm not justifying Brett's anger but think Ted could have done both.

That's over now. If he can get a 4th I'd be happy even though seeing him in another uniform will be weird.

I'm kind of happy Brett's leaving. He gives a lot of excitement but also drives you crazy too.

I'm kind of happy Brett's leaving. He gives a lot of excitement but also drives you crazy too.

So who said Brett is leaving? You honestly think the GB faithful will watch Brett either be a backup or play in Minnesota? Not gonna happen. I still think he ends up where he left off as the starting QB for the Packers. Sorry Aaron.

So who said Brett is leaving? You honestly think the GB faithful will watch Brett either be a backup or play in Minnesota? Not gonna happen. I still think he ends up where he left off as the starting QB for the Packers. Sorry Aaron.

Leaving Green Bay. Packers fans aren't dumb. We know Rodgers or Brohm are the future. Brett carries a lot of baggage. Throwing up dying quails, all the retirement talk, etc. Brett brings a lot of excitement but too much sometimes.

The Dallas game, playing badly in Chicago, the last play against New York bypassing 3 open receivers(Grant was right in front of him-easy throw) to force the ball into Driver...

:wacko:

Chiefs would not be interested, nor would Favre want to go play for a team that will not contend.

On a side note, this whole thing really sours my views on Favre. To me, Favre going to another team is criminal.

Criminal? But Montana took the Chiefs too the title game in 93.

If true the whole retire/unretire to retire and then unretire again thing to me looks :wacko: but I don't begrudge him or the team for wanting Rodgers to play. There's no soft landing here.

One reason Bill Walsh gave for retiring was how could you tell Ronnie Lott or Joe Montana you couldn't start anymore?

Workers change jobs, locations and careers all the time these days.

When I was a kid a man could stay with one company their whole life. With social changes we don't see the same loyalty anymore. IBM had workers train Indian replacements and then fire them. This seems mild compared to that.

Thanks for your input though. This whole affair is affecting all Packer fans right now. I was for him leaving but lately have changed to wanting him to come back. Last year I wanted him to play to 43(Testeverde's age). I was shocked he retired.

Ted Thompson's version of the timeline(Favre may have a different one)

Maybe it's the way Favre has done it that makes it bad in my eyes. He's put the Packers in a real bad spot here.

I agree. It sounds like since they didn't almost beg him to come back he thought they didn't want him. According to McCarthy he didn't really commit until July. He was waffling.

Situation comedies run off of misunderstandings like this but someone should have just asked.

Last season I was sure he'd come back.

You're obviously not watching and reading all of the back and forth drama... It's getting dirty to the point where I doubt we see him at any ceremony to retire his jersey... Bridges are being burned as we speak.

I was told yesterday by a friend in Chicago that Favre is asking for the unconditional release to play for the Bears.

This may be a homer response from my behalf, but I think if he were going to play for any team in the NFC North other than the Pack, it would be the Vikings. We are closer to being a SB team than Det and Chicago by quite a bit. Also, I don't think Chicago has the cap to get him, but I am not positive on that.

I don't know how Thompson can say "we'll take Favre as a backup" - it seems to me that would be McCarthy's decision.

Still, with the grit and class Favre has shown so far in this episode, I doubt that "Brett can come back, but the job is open for competition" would make him feel any better about things.