[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What are gas prices where you live?

Randall

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While my office is only 1.7 miles from my house, I've learned that we may be moving offices... even closer to my house! I'll have about a 5 minute walk to work.

when i was in the Outer Banks i had all of about a 20 second walk to my store....then when i moved and opened the store here in williamsburg it was a 6mile drive....then the last store was only 4 miles and now I am back to 6 miles from work....now 6 miles with only 2 lights is nothing to complain about but i really miss having just a 20 second walk and (about a 3 minute walk to the beach too)

Edited by keggerz

Average here in Jax is about $3.57 with the cheap places at $3.53. I've seen it as high as $3.61. I'm only 10 minutes from work myself and thought about riding the motorcycle, but it really wouldn't be worth tying down my lunch box, water jug, etc. just for a tad of savings in gas. Now if I was still using my old truck(12 miles to a gallon) I probably would use the bike. I usually fill up every 2 weeks, but I did more driving and already have to fill up after just one week. The car gets about 22-23 miles per gallon. I can live with that. What I can't live with is driving up to Chicago in July when gas is $5.00 a gallon.

While my office is only 1.7 miles from my house, I've learned that we may be moving offices... even closer to my house! I'll have about a 5 minute walk to work.

californians don't walk. that's something we tell everyone else to do. :wacko:

Oil was $20 a barrel when Bush took over

The Iraq war would give us cheaper gas(according to Wolfowicz)

Today oil reached $117 a barrel.

Mission accomplished. :wacko:

Well, that is one lieberal spin that didn't pan out.

Just paid $3.39 for super. I remember when I left Texas to move out here to Phoenix :D and gas was around $1.35 compared to $1.19 in Texas...I miss those days.

Before I filled up today, I drove around for about 20 minutes and even headed up into Wisconsin to see if I could find any cheap gas. No, I didn't. Every station is this area is 3.69 9/10 for a gallon of regular unleaded. :wacko::D:D:brew:

Before I filled up today, I drove around for about 20 minutes and even headed up into Wisconsin to see if I could find any cheap gas. No, I didn't. Every station is this area is 3.69 9/10 for a gallon of regular unleaded. :wacko::D:D:brew:

Minnesota's cheaper than Wisconsin. We're not cheap. Gasbuddy lets you check, but I don't know how up to date t is.

Try here for Illinois. But does a few cents matter? Driving slower seems to make more difference.

At what speed does your vehicle get the best milage? Tuneups and proper tire air pressure help too.

Edited by Randall

Today Bush has said Congress has repeatedly blocked efforts to build refineries. Is this more "follow the shiny object"?

Have they recently?

I always thought communities were against their contsruction near them.

I found this-

"Demand for refined products, especially gasoline, is expected to grow at an annual rate of 1.6 percent for the rest of this decade, requiring an additional 260,000 barrels a day of gasoline and other fuels each year, according to Goldman Sachs.

With those kinds of demand forecasts, why is there no interest in building more U.S. refineries?

There is the cost that is estimated at $2 billion to $3 billion in capital investment with no certainty that today's glowing profits will stay around, say economists. And, despite billions spent on pollution controls, refineries do not make pleasant neighbors.

"Nobody seems to want to build a refinery in their back yard," David O'Reilly, chairman of ChevronTexaco, told a U.S. Chamber of Commerce luncheon the other day, deploring what he said was a regulatory and permitting morass and almost certain citizen opposition to any new refinery project.

Given likely community opposition, an anticipation of a lengthy permitting fight and uneven expectations on a future investor's rate of return, "most companies are unlikely to undertake the significant investment needed to even begin the process" says Red Cavaney, president of the American Petroleum Institute. The organization represents the large oil companies in Washington.

A new refinery can't be sold to Wall Street as a very profitable investment, industry executives maintain.

"The 10-year average return on investment in the (refining) industry is about 5.5 percent, about what investors could receive by investing in government bonds with little or no risk," says Bob Slaughter president of the National Petrochemical and Refiners Association.

But some independent refiners, such as Valero Energy Corp., have been able to reap considerably higher rates of return _ buying old refineries at bargain prices, as little as 20 cents on the dollar.

Valero, the country's largest independent refiner based in San Antonio, Texas, has grown rapidly since 1997 by acquiring undervalued refineries, making environmental improvements and expanding capacity.

Such was the case with its purchase of the Orion refinery in Louisiana. "We paid far less (for it) than the replacement cost. If we had paid full replacement cost for it, it would not be doing well at all," said Gene Edwards, a Valero senior vice president.

Would Valero ever build a new refinery?

"I don't see anyone building a refinery in the U.S. _ maybe overseas," said Edwards in an interview.

Edited by Randall