[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calling all smokers....

Jimmy Neutron

Kind of what I was thinking. Most butts you buy at the store are around 8 pounds = 8 hours. If you cook at 250 or so.

I tend to smoke a butt of that size for many more hours--anywhere from 12-16. I usually figure about 1 1/2 hours per pound. I tend to smoke between 230-240 degrees.

Jimmy, also don't be surprised when during the cook the internal temp of the pork doesn't move for an hour or two--or even if the internal temp of the pork drops. This is known as the "plateau." This is where the fat renders and collagen in the meat is converted to gelatin. Once you get past that point, the temp of the pork will continue to climb.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how many pounds are the butts and what will be your temp for smoking?

Kind of what I was thinking. Most butts you buy at the store are around 8 pounds = 8 hours. If you cook at 250 or so.

The butts are just over 9 lbs apiece and beautimus. I plan on a cooking temp of 225-235. I've read fat layer up and that makes sense for self-basting, but others say fat layer down. What say you?

I figure an hour to get the smoker heated up and settled to temp and 10 hours of cook time will make it about right for a 2:00 PM lunch with friends coming over. :wacko:

Gotta get busy researching sauces. :D

Jimmy, also don't be surprised when during the cook the internal temp of the pork doesn't move for an hour or two--or even if the internal temp of the pork drops. This is known as the "plateau." This is where the fat renders and collagen in the meat is converted to gelatin. Once you get past that point, the temp of the pork will continue to climb.

I read something about that somewhere - thanks for the details. I will try to be patient.

The butts are just over 9 lbs apiece and beautimus. I plan on a cooking temp of 225-235. I've read fat layer up and that makes sense for self-basting, but others say fat layer down. What say you?

I figure an hour to get the smoker heated up and settled to temp and 10 hours of cook time will make it about right for a 2:00 PM lunch with friends coming over. :wacko:

Gotta get busy researching sauces. :D

Smoking at 225-235 for a 9 lb butt, if I was betting, will take longer than 10 hours. I recommend giving yourself at least 14-16 hours. If you finish early, all you have to do is wrap butt in foil a couple of times, then wrap a towel around the butt and then stick the butt into a cooler (no ice). It'll stay hot for hours if you do that. Early on in my smoking career I misjudged the time and my butt wasn't done until 1:00am.

Regarding fat layer, I've heard that it doesn't really matter but I always put butt with fat layer up. I figure it can't hurt.

One of my favorite pulled pork sauce recipes:

2 cups cider vinegar

2/3 cup ketchup

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 tbsp hot sauce (more/less if you like)

1 tbsp lemon juice

1 tbsp worcestershire sauce

2 tbsps butter

t tsp red pepper flakes

1 tsp dry mustard

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to simmer over med-high heat. Cook for 30 mins, stirring constantly to blend.

It is strongly recommended that you make this sauce at least a day in advance so that all ingredients and flavors have time to mellow and meld together.

Smoking at 225-235 for a 9 lb butt, if I was betting, will take longer than 10 hours. I recommend giving yourself at least 14-16 hours. If you finish early, all you have to do is wrap butt in foil a couple of times, then wrap a towel around the butt and then stick the butt into a cooler (no ice). It'll stay hot for hours if you do that. Early on in my smoking career I misjudged the time and my butt wasn't done until 1:00am.

Regarding fat layer, I've heard that it doesn't really matter but I always put butt with fat layer up. I figure it can't hurt.

One of my favorite pulled pork sauce recipes:

2 cups cider vinegar

2/3 cup ketchup

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 tbsp hot sauce (more/less if you like)

1 tbsp lemon juice

1 tbsp worcestershire sauce

2 tbsps butter

t tsp red pepper flakes

1 tsp dry mustard

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to simmer over med-high heat. Cook for 30 mins, stirring constantly to blend.

It is strongly recommended that you make this sauce at least a day in advance so that all ingredients and flavors have time to mellow and meld together.

Very cool - thanks for all your expertise. :wacko:

I moved lunch to dinner just in case and will try the sauce. Thanks!

Keep in mind, that if your internal temp isn't rising toward the end of a long day you can always ratchet up the cooking temp to 275 if need be. After awhile the meat has absorbed about as much "smoke" as it's going to, so finishing it off at a higher temp isn't going to hurt anything. There has been times I have done pulled pork at 275 all day and it turns out fine.

Smoke it until the internal temp hits 200. The meat will pull apart WAY better and easier for you.

Keep in mind, that if your internal temp isn't rising toward the end of a long day you can always ratchet up the cooking temp to 275 if need be. After awhile the meat has absorbed about as much "smoke" as it's going to, so finishing it off at a higher temp isn't going to hurt anything. There has been times I have done pulled pork at 275 all day and it turns out fine.

Smoke it until the internal temp hits 200. The meat will pull apart WAY better and easier for you.

Thanks, CD. You guys have been awesome humoring my newbieness. :D

I had a hard time getting my box up to temp after I put the butts in, but I guess it's a lot of meat and takes time. Gotta get out of the 3-minute pre-heat electric oven mentality. :D I don't think my fire grate is high enough - it's tough to get the fire as hot as I want it. There's about an inch and a half between the bottom of the box and the grate - I'm thinking I should double that for better air flow. :wacko:

Man, I'm going through a lot of charcoal. :shocked: I'm going to be buying this stuff my the pallet.

Thanks, CD. You guys have been awesome humoring my newbieness. :D

I had a hard time getting my box up to temp after I put the butts in, but I guess it's a lot of meat and takes time. Gotta get out of the 3-minute pre-heat electric oven mentality. :D I don't think my fire grate is high enough - it's tough to get the fire as hot as I want it. There's about an inch and a half between the bottom of the box and the grate - I'm thinking I should double that for better air flow. :wacko:

Man, I'm going through a lot of charcoal. :shocked: I'm going to be buying this stuff my the pallet.

You definitely will use a lot of charcoal. (cue unta here: " The BGE is so efficient is uses less fuel than a smoker, blah blah blah....") :brew:

I've gone through two big bags before, but using chunk smoking wood will shrink that down.

You definitely will use a lot of charcoal. (cue unta here: " The BGE is so efficient is uses less fuel than a smoker, blah blah blah....") :brew:

I've gone through two big bags before, but using chunk smoking wood will shrink that down.

:DI figured unta would be along to tout the efficiency of the BGE.

I'm using a mix of chunk and chips. The place I bought the smoking wood from didn't have sweet woods in chunks.

4 something hours into this burn, and I've used almost 10 lbs of lump.

It is smelling awesome.

The waiting.... :wacko:

I can see where being a beer drinker would be advantageous with this hobby. :D

I always finish butts and shoulders with foil towel and cooler, it's a great way to let the meat come to a slow rest! If I have alot going on I will finish the meat in the oven at 200 while wrapped in foil... I usually put a lot of sauce in the foil with the meat, while in the oven and cooler.

:wacko: Well done.

You definitely will use a lot of charcoal. (cue unta here: " The BGE is so efficient is uses less fuel than a smoker, blah blah blah....") :D

I fill the Egg once and I've gone as long as 20 hours on that load. I could have gone longer, but I didn't need to do so.

I, too, have also brought the temp up to 275 degrees after I got through plateau phase to get the butt done.

Made it through the plateau cruising through 180 and 185 now. Finding out the back of my BBQ is slightly hotter than the front.

Sauce is made - thanks Unta.

Gotta throw some beans together and get em near the fire. :wacko:

Made it through the plateau cruising through 180 and 185 now. Finding out the back of my BBQ is slightly hotter than the front.

Sauce is made - thanks Unta.

Gotta throw some beans together and get em near the fire. :wacko:

Life is good.

Life is good.

Indeed. :wacko:

Gonna pull the butts out here in a bit and let 'em rest for an hour before friends show up for dinner. If it tastes anywhere near as well as it smells, all will be good.

There is a serious downside to my new little hobby. Football season seems even further away. :D

I can't wait to smoke some gameday grub!

27 satisfied souls later, I proclaim my first butts a success. :brew:

Unta, your sauce was a 2-1 favorite over the sweet and spicey one I made. :wacko:

Thanks again to all you guys who helped out.

Ribs are on the menu next week. And tofu. :D My vegetarian cousins are coming over for a b-day bash. Should I shape it like a McRib? :D

Unta, your sauce was a 2-1 favorite over the sweet and spicey one I made. :wacko:

Ribs are on the menu next week. And tofu. :D My vegetarian cousins are coming over for a b-day bash. Should I shape it like a McRib? :D

Welcome to the Smoke Ring!!

I fill the Egg once and I've gone as long as 20 hours on that load. I could have gone longer, but I didn't need to do so.

I, too, have also brought the temp up to 275 degrees after I got through plateau phase to get the butt done.

I ususally smoke 2 butts now everytime I cook and have no problems finding takers for the leftovers. As such I tend to budget 24 hours for 2 - 8lb butts and sometimes it's even a bit longer at 220 degrees. Never had to add charcoal to the egg.

I've cranked the temp as high as 350 to meet an eating deadline - well actually to get them done so that I could wrap and cooler them and head for the tailgate - still delicious.

Sounds like a winner.

As far as ribs go, not sure what your plans are but babybacks are good to smoke if this is your first time.

My strategy, whether you go full slab or babybacks, is two hours on the smoker, wrap in foil bones UP for two hours, then unwrap and finish for an hour. With about 30 minutes to go I will mix some honey into a spicy BBQ sauce. Very good.

Sounds like a winner.

As far as ribs go, not sure what your plans are but babybacks are good to smoke if this is your first time.

My strategy, whether you go full slab or babybacks, is two hours on the smoker, wrap in foil bones UP for two hours, then unwrap and finish for an hour. With about 30 minutes to go I will mix some honey into a spicy BBQ sauce. Very good.

I tend to go 3-1-1 (three hours smoke, 1 hour foil, 1 hour unwrapped. Last 30 minutes, direct flame to help carmelize the sugars in the sauce.

Sounds like a winner.

I tend to go 3-1-1 (three hours smoke, 1 hour foil, 1 hour unwrapped. Last 30 minutes, direct flame to help carmelize the sugars in the sauce.

Thanks, guys. I've been reading about various techniques for ribs and foiling them seems to be pretty popular. I'll give it a go on Sunday.

OK, so my wife asked me today to do ribs for Mothers Day (it just so happens that we'll have both mothers visiting :wacko:). I prefer dry ribs with a sauce served on the side. Any suggestions for a dry rub for the ribs?

OK, so my wife asked me today to do ribs for Mothers Day (it just so happens that we'll have both mothers visiting :wacko:). I prefer dry ribs with a sauce served on the side. Any suggestions for a dry rub for the ribs?

Here's one I like:

1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

2 tbs sweet hungarian paprika

1 tbs dry mustard

1 tbs onion salt

1 tbs chili seasoning

1 tbs seasoned salt

1 tbs freshly ground black pepper

(although this recipe doesn't call for it, I tend to add a 2-3 tbs of granulated garlic. I loves me the garlic.)