[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dad shoots son....thought he was a Turkey? Sad..son died.

TheShiznit

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But, hypothetically, if you killed a deer just to mount its heads over your fireplace, then I'd think you're sadistic nut job.

I would agree with that statement. I think most hunters would. Most of the trophy hunters so to speak are city slickers that come down to a ranch pay a butt load of money to shoot a penned deer, have someone else clean it, and don't touch the deer until it comes back from the taxidermy. Don't get me wrong, I' have a couple of large racks mounted on wall, but I eat what I kill.

Yes, if you eat it, and further assuming deer is in season, you've got a valid hunting license, and you're responsible with your gun. But, hypothetically, if you killed a deer just to mount its heads over your fireplace, then I'd think you're sadistic nut job.

I typically harvest two or three whitetail does early in the season to fill the freezer. After that, I am not ashamed to admit that I "hunt horns". Of course, I have a personal rule not to shoot a buck unless it is bigger than the last one and pass up more deer every year than most average hunters see in several. (To be completely honest, I did break my own rule this past season to harves my first buck with my replica Hawkens muzzleloader. :wacko: )

Look for Cervena venison out of New Zealand. My meat purveyors in every city I've worked have been able to get it for me and it is the most immaculate meat I have ever cooked. Way more delicious than most any hunted venison I've tasted. The notable exception being the rack off a bow hunted venison that somebody brought to a baller food and wine party that I was part of. His rationale being that being shot with a bow causes less trauma (basically you either kill it instantly or it survives) there were less hormones released into the blood which resulted in a milder, more tender meat.

None the less, if you have a decent butcher, you should be able to find this stuff. Ask for a product called the denver leg. It is leg meat that has been butchered into small sections free from bone, fat, and nearly all silver skin. If you cook it med rare or less, it is as nice and tender as any meat you'll taste. I pay about $10/lb wholesale so you shouldn't pay much more than $15. Thing is, it is nearly 100% yield.

Buffalo and venison is rather pricey. If any of you hunters would like to send me some, you know, just for the hell of it, I'd pay shipping.

Send me a PM, and it's a done deal.

Don't get me wrong, I' have a couple of large racks mounted on wall, but I eat what I kill.

Hey, if you keep the racks from deers you've eaten, that's just finding a use for more of the animal. Ain't nothin' wrong with that. Killing just for trophy, or killing just to kill, is what disturbs me.

I've only been hunting once (unless you count fishing which by all accounts you should, so I guess I've been plenty of times). None the less, it was a boar hunt and I was completely fired up. I love pig and was really looking forward to roasting some boar that I had hunted myself. Sort of the full circle thing. As it turns out, I wasn't able to make a kill. Obviously I wasn't captivated enough by the endeavor to ever go again, but I can understand why people enjoy it. Provided that there's an ultimate goal besides just killing the thing. Be it food or eliminating threats to livestock. Like anything else that is challenging, soon enough the actual act of doing it takes on a life of it's own.

To be honest, I can get behind hunting for food far more than I can catch and release fishing. When I was in Idaho, that was the rule and all the fishermen had this attitude that what they were doing was karma free. Oh gee, what a nice game, you stick something in the mouth with a hook and then let it go. I'm guessing the fish isn't very down with this little game of "tag". Funny thing, actually, that I have no problem with my spot in the food chain, so I have no problem with catching a fish and then whacking it's head on the rocks so you can cook it up but do have one with catching it and then just letting it go.

None the less, I dare not judge those who find sport in hunting.

I will judge the hell out of some dumb ass who doesn't know what the hell he's doing and takes his kid out in the woods and shoots him. As somebody who feels both having kids and owning guns should be taken far more seriously than many seem to take it, this strikes two nerves.

ya know, I pretty much have to agree with all of that. the sport aspect of hunting is something I could definitely relate to and enjoy. and hey, if you genuinely do it because you think venison is da bomb, that's cool I guess. just not something I could ever get into if the ultimate "goal" is killing something I really don't need or want to kill. I see fishing as a little different just because fish are so incredibly stupid and killing them for whatever reason just doesn't register on my moral radar, but your point about catch and release is well-taken.

Wirehair, you still have a German Wirehair? I raised and trained a German Shorthair from a pup and killed many of quail over her. Quail and pheasant hunting is the only hunting I've ever truly enjoyed. Watching the dogs work is a thing of beauty.

I have three right now, and a litter out of my stud and a buddies bitch is due the middle of May. There is nothing in this world that compares to watching a good dog lock up on point, IMO.

Ask for a product called the denver leg. It is leg meat that has been butchered into small sections free from bone, fat, and nearly all silver skin. If you cook it med rare or less, it is as nice and tender as any meat you'll taste. I pay about $10/lb wholesale so you shouldn't pay much more than $15. Thing is, it is nearly 100% yield.

I've never called it anything fancier than deer steak, but it sounds like I have a bunch of Denver leg in the freezer. The good part is it probably cost me well under $5 a pound including all my costs to harvest the deer and process it myself.

he notable exception being the rack off a bow hunted venison that somebody brought to a baller food and wine party that I was part of. His rationale being that being shot with a bow causes less trauma (basically you either kill it instantly or it survives) there were less hormones released into the blood which resulted in a milder, more tender meat.

I call bs on this. When I brain pan a doe with my 30-06 there is not stress, she just drops to the ground. The taste of the meat has more to do with how fast after the kill that they are cleaned and skinned.

Hey, if you keep the racks from deers you've eaten, that's just finding a use for more of the animal. Ain't nothin' wrong with that. Killing just for trophy, or killing just to kill, is what disturbs me.

A European mount makes a great hat rack.

I kill snakes for no other reason than I don't want them around.

I kill the poisonous ones around my house because I don't want my kids or dog to get bitten by one. I usually catch the non-poisonous ones and my wife takes them to school with her to give to the biology teachers.

I have three right now, and a litter out of my stud and a buddies bitch is due the middle of May. There is nothing in this world that compares to watching a good dog lock up on point, IMO.

When I was a kid I had 3 liver pointers, Jake, Judd, and Queen B. They were great dogs. Now I just don't have time to train a dog to hunt. I barely have time to keep my boxer pup from chewing on shoes my kids forget to put up. I miss those quail hunts, but now I have to settle for dove, as it less time consuming.

The notable exception being the rack off a bow hunted venison that somebody brought to a baller food and wine party that I was part of. His rationale being that being shot with a bow causes less trauma (basically you either kill it instantly or it survives) there were less hormones released into the blood which resulted in a milder, more tender meat.

I call bs on this. When I brain pan a doe with my 30-06 there is not stress, she just drops to the ground. The taste of the meat has more to do with how fast after the kill that they are cleaned and skinned.

I'm with Perch on this one. One actual explanation could be that bow season is typically earlier in the fall when deer are fat and happy after a long summer and many gun seasons are later in the year during or near the rut.

When I was a kid I had 3 liver pointers, Jake, Judd, and Queen B. They were great dogs. Now I just don't have time to train a dog to hunt. I barely have time to keep my boxer pup from chewing on shoes my kids forget to put up. I miss those quail hunts, but now I have to settle for dove, as it less time consuming.

I have a couple buddies with Pointers. They are awesome dogs. We don't have quail, but if you ever in MT during the fall and want to hunt Sharptail Grouse, Hungarian Partridge, and Pheasants, just give me a call. I'm always looking for an excuse to get out.

Meh. I've never cared for that type of decor. More of a Pottery Barn/Restoration Hardware look going on at my crib.

I'm allowed two rooms in the house, my study, and my billiards / tv room. The study has two shoulder mounts and two European mounts. The billiards / tv room upstairs (my man cave) has wall to wall autographed spamshirts footballs, and helmets. The rest my wife has 95% say on the decor.

I'm with Perch on this one. One actual explanation could be that bow season is typically earlier in the fall when deer are fat and happy after a long summer and many gun seasons are later in the year during or near the rut.

That makes sense. I was always taught the first thing you do when you kill a buck is cut off the musk glands, which will be much more active during the rut.

Great, so if you actually shoot a doe in one of the spots where they'll die instantly, it's just as tasty as shooting it with a bow where you pretty much either kill it instantly or not at all. And your point is?

However, I'm guessing that plenty of hunted venison is killed in a manner that is slower and more traumatic. That is, in a spot where the thing just bleeds to death or some other less than instant death.

I don't doubt that plenty has to do with how quickly and well it is dressed but adrenaline likely has a lot to do with it. At least that goes a long way to explain why farmed venison is milder and more tender.