[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Menudo's Movie Reviews

Menudo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raging Bull

Yes, I am the last person on the planet to see "Raging Bull". For some reason, I had never watched it, and I saw it was on Directv this month, so, I finally got around to watching it. Often, when watching a movie so far from it's release time, it doesn't live up to the hype, but, I thought this was very good. It was great to see the dialogue between DeNiro and Pesci back from where it all began. Those two were meant to be in movies together. It is a perfect fit. I was very intrigued by the plot of this movie, as the same rage that made LaMotta so great in the ring is what made him such a maniac outside of it. I often wonder about guys who can get so nasty in sports, and whether they can turn it off in the real world. In many cases, it has turned out that they could not. DeNiro is phenomenal in this one, as he usually is, and definitely deserved the best actor nod. I did some background reading and one of the things that I found interesting is that Scorsese had overdosed on cocain and almost died. DeNiro told him to get it together, and they had to make this movie together. Scorsese credits DeNiro for helping save his life by talking him into getting back to his work. Scorsese always thought that "Raging Bull" would be his last film, so, he really stuck to how he wanted it made. Luckily for all of us, it wasn't his last film. Though this wasn't my favorite Scorsese or DeNiro film, it was definitely worthy of the hype since I still loved it over three decades after its premiere. ]

• 2 months later...

Chloe

I'll admit it, I decided to watch this one with my wife, because I find Amanda Seyfried to be extremely sexy. She isn't as classically hot as some other actresses, but, she just does it for me. Anyway, in this movie, she plays a hooker, who has a nice sex scene with Julianne Moore, so, that part of the movie was fantastic. :wacko: The rest of the movie was just o.k. It's amazing what one movie can do to change your perception of an actor / actress. Previous to "Taken", I didn't think anything either way about Liam Neeson. I thought he might be a bit over-rated, but, his performance in "Taken" made me see the light. He is solid in this one, as are Moore & Seyfried.

The problem with this movie was that the "Gotcha / Twist" was pretty easy to see coming. Also, the end scene left a lot to be desired. It was as if they were out of time, so, just decided to get it over with quickly.

The movie was decent, but, I watched it to see Seyfried, who was once again sexy as hell.

Grown-Ups

This one had a couple of the right ingredients to make a good comedy........ a group of comedy actors that I've found to be quite funny at different times in their careers, a group of real life friends playing long-time friends in the movie. However, it was missing the laughs. The premise was decent. A group of friends re-unite, and learn how each of their lives have changed through the years. They get right into the ripping on one another, reminiscing about past times, and acknowledging how kids today are different than they were when they were growing up. I could relate to much of this, as these guys are about my age, but, they really just never got any big laughs out of me. All of that said, I didn't hate this movie. It was entertaining enough, but, could have been so much more. It had the feel that these guys knew they would make solid box-office numbers, and they sort of mailed it in.

Inception

All I can say is............ Wow !!!!! If there was a better movie than Inception last year, I'd like to see it. I thought this flick was phenomenal. First off, I find dreams fascinating. I always have. Dreams are truly one of the most mysterious things in our lives. No one can seem to truly explain what they mean. I thought this movie did a great job of taking advantage of the suspended reality that exists in the dream world. The action scenes were absolutely phenomenal. The plot was interesting and complex. The acting was fantastic. It seems that Leonardo DiCaprio doesn't miss anymore. When he picks a script, you can usually count on it being very good. I really was blown away by this movie. It had a lot of hype, and completely lived up to it.

Edited by Menudo

Inception

All I can say is............ Wow !!!!! If there was a better movie than Inception last year, I'd like to see it. I thought this flick was phenomenal. First off, I find dreams fascinating. I always have. Dreams are truly one of the most mysterious things in our lives. No one can seem to truly explain what they mean. I thought this movie did a great job of taking advantage of the suspended reality that exists in the dream world. The action scenes were absolutely phenomenal. The plot was interesting and complex. The acting was fantastic. It seems that Leonardo DiCaprio doesn't miss anymore. When he picks a script, you can usually count on it being very good. I really was blown away by this movie. It had a lot of hype, and completely lived up to it.

Interesting perspective. The peeps in the business are split right down the middle regarding this movie. I was offended at the amount of green screen involved and yet it won Best Cinematographer. Retarded. That aside, I enjoyed the movie. Was I blown away? With the CGI sure...and if you know its CGI you are watching then that's cool. And I will agree with you on DiCaprio...he is on a roll. I hated him after Titanic but the last few movies he has done have been rock solid. I'd definitely recommend this movie but I would not give it a 10. And 8- is more like it because of the CGI.

Inception was a movie that you either had to watch in the theatre or in a home movie setup....I just wanted the damn thing to be over after a while. I think it was good - but I need to see it again in isolation, or with zero distractions.

With Inception I learned once and for all that I'm not a sci/fi or fantasy guy anymore. I made it through the first hour, bored stiff and stuck it back in the envelope. Give me a comedy, a good western, an action flick or really anything with good human drama. If the effects are the star, I'm bored more often than not. This movie gave me nothing but a lot slick CGI, peppered in with some nonsense dialog about stealing dreams, and I wasn't able to build any interest in any of the characters. I'm sure it was great for what it was, it just didn't have anything to say to me.

With Inception I learned once and for all that I'm not a sci/fi or fantasy guy anymore. I made it through the first hour, bored stiff and stuck it back in the envelope. Give me a comedy, a good western, an action flick or really anything with good human drama. If the effects are the star, I'm bored more often than not. This movie gave me nothing but a lot slick CGI, peppered in with some nonsense dialog about stealing dreams, and I wasn't able to build any interest in any of the characters. I'm sure it was great for what it was, it just didn't have anything to say to me.

It is well known around these parts that I am a sci-fi fiend. In fact I'm watching an episode of stargate atlantis at 1 am on netflix. Let me say that Inception sucked. I found it to be awesome cgi with a weak plot. It was a good mate for Avatar.

• 2 weeks later...

The Social Network

I remember hearing they were making a movie about the creation of Facebook, and I thought, that is going to be boring as hell. Then, I saw that Aaron Sorkin was directing it, so, I thought, it must not be too bad of a script. Then came the media and awards show hype. Well, this is another one that lived up to the hype for me. I love action movies as much as the next guy, but, I will still take a witty, clever movie like this one, with no action but great, entertaining dialogue over a good action movie anyday. I really liked this movie. It was entertaining throughout, and they did a great job of keeping the story moving along. I liked the way the interwined the testimonies with the scenes. Zuckenberg was portrayed very well as a witty, brilliant, somewhat of an a-hole by Jesse Eisenberg. I got a lot more laughs out of this than I expected. I really enjoyed it.

Edited by Menudo

The Social Network

I remember hearing they were making a movie about the creation of Facebook, and I thought, that is going to be boring as hell. Then, I saw that Aaron Sorkin was directing it, so, I thought, it must not be too bad of a script. Then came the media and awards show hype. Well, this is another one that lived up to the hype for me. I love action movies as much as the next guy, but, I will still take a witty, clever movie like this one, with no action but great, entertaining dialogue over a good action movie anyday. I really liked this movie. It was entertaining throughout, and they did a great job of keeping the story moving along. I liked the way the interwined the testimonies with the scenes. Zuckenberg was portrayed very well as a witty, brilliant, somewhat of an a-hole by Jesse Eisenberg. I got a lot more laughs out of this than I expected. I really enjoyed it.

I liked it as well. Amazing that one actor played the twins. I guess they green-screened or photoshopped him in or whatever the hell they do now. I wonder how much that cost and how much of a pain in the ass it was compared to just finding actual twins to play those roles.

Get Him To The Greek

This movie definitely had it's funny moments, but, it also had moments that drug out a bit. Overall, I thought it was a decent comedy, and there were some very funny scenes. It tried to show some heart at the end, but, the plot certainly didn't blow me away. I always find Jonah Hill funny in his roles. He played a bit more of the straight man in this one, to the crazy rock star, played by Russell Brand. Not much else to say about this one. It was an entertaining comedy that had some funny scenes, but, some others spots that were a bit boring. Worth a watch, but, probably not one I'd watch again.

Arthur (2011) - I probably saw the original with Dudley Moore a lonnnng time ago and I was lukewarm on going to see this, especially in the theater. But I kinda like Russell Brand and the wife wanted to take the almost 2 month old to "Baby Day" at our local theater (the same one that serves you food ... and beer ... right in your seat). We packaged up the nugget in her car seat and headed off to a matinee on Tuesday. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. Well-cast and Brand is a star in the making. We enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. Grade: 7.5, maybe an 8.

Arthur (2011) - I probably saw the original with Dudley Moore a lonnnng time ago and I was lukewarm on going to see this, especially in the theater. But I kinda like Russell Brand and the wife wanted to take the almost 2 month old to "Baby Day" at our local theater (the same one that serves you food ... and beer ... right in your seat). We packaged up the nugget in her car seat and headed off to a matinee on Tuesday. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. Well-cast and Brand is a star in the making. We enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. Grade: 7.5, maybe an 8.

I absolutely loved the original, and I saw that this one got a 5.1 rating on IMDB, so, I brushed it off. I like Russell Brand too, so, based on this review, I'll have to check it out when it gets to DVD. I really wish there was a theater around here that had food and drinks. I've been to them before, but, we don't have any here. :wacko:

The Fighter

This is my 3rd movie that I've seen of those that were up for all of the Best Picture awards. I loved "Inception" and "The Social Network", but, this one was my favorite. You've got a great story with a sports-theme, and one of the best performances by a group of actors that I've seen in a long time. Christian Bale & Melissa Leo won awards for their roles, and they were definitely deserving. I also thought Amy Adams & Mark Wahlberg were great. I thought the actors in the smaller roles, especially their sisters were fantastic. With acting performances that strong, some of the credit has to go to the Director, David O. Russell. Everything about this movie was great, from the acting to the plot to the music. I loved it. A definite must see, and I will be buying this one on Blu-Ray and watching multiple times.

Edited by Menudo

:wacko:

I've seen Rio and Hop in the last couple weeks. Both enjoyable enough and the kids loved them. Will be taking my boys to see african Cats this weekend (my kindergartener gets to go on Friday with his class.) Funny story with that is that when he heard they were going as a class a few weeks back, he got upset and told his teacher he didn;t think he could go because he is supposed ot see that movei with me. We went to Oceans last year, saw the preview and he's been asking me since then to go see this one, so I'll still take him even if it means he is seeing the movie twice in a couple days, he doesn't mind.

Have "Social Network" at home, finding the time to pop it in and watch it is the hard part. Mother in Law lent it to us a few weeks back and it's just sitting there. Fighter is high on my list of movies to see as well.

Maybe I can get out for a non-kid based movie sometime soon, especially with the summer movies on the way.

I absolutely loved the original, and I saw that this one got a 5.1 rating on IMDB, so, I brushed it off. I like Russell Brand too, so, based on this review, I'll have to check it out when it gets to DVD. I really wish there was a theater around here that had food and drinks. I've been to them before, but, we don't have any here. :wacko:

Yeah it really doesn't have much in the way of bells and whistles. The 7.5-8 rating is pretty generous. I think it was just that it was my daughter's "first movie" and that I was scarfing down a delicious pizza. :lol:

The theaters with food/drink (beer) being served to you is new to me... and it's awesome. We're going on Tuesday again to see that Elephant movie with the pale guy from Twilight. :tup:

I thought it was kind of uneven and weak in a lot of spots, especially in the beginning, then got better as it went along. A lot of the jokes fell flat, but the movie found its voice by the third act and it became somewhat of a drama rather than a comedy, which ended up working better for me. The love interest is kind of quirky-sexy too, something about her just keeps you glued to the screen. I give it a 7.

I don't think I saw this reviewed yet...I got The Kings Speech through Netflix and watched it last night. I'm usually in complete disagreement with the Oscar and other award winner's since they bore me to death, but this movie definitely lived up to it. I really, really enjoyed this movie. Definitely worth adding to the Netflix. Who thought that a 9-minute speech to end a movie could be so riveting?

Nowhere Boy

I'm a Beatles fanatic. I've read several books on Lennon, McCartney and the Beatles. I saw that this movie was released, and I didn't hear much about it. I definitely enjoyed this movie, though it was slow at times. It really didn't focus much on the music,or the forming of the Quarrymen or the Beatles, though those parts were in the movie. The main focus on the movie was Lennon's relationship with his stable, strict Aunt who raised him, and his fun but flighty mother, who is trying to get back into his life. In the end, it also focuses on the strained relationship of the two sisters themselves. My two biggest complaints, is although the main plot was in regards to the personal relationships I mentioned, I would have liked to have seen more time focused on John's relationship with Paul, and the forming of the bands. My other complaint is that the boy cast to play the young Paul McCartney looked nothing like him. Overall though, it was an interesting movie, especially for fans of the Beatles and/or Lennon.

I don't think I saw this reviewed yet...I got The Kings Speech through Netflix and watched it last night. I'm usually in complete disagreement with the Oscar and other award winner's since they bore me to death, but this movie definitely lived up to it. I really, really enjoyed this movie. Definitely worth adding to the Netflix. Who thought that a 9-minute speech to end a movie could be so riveting?

Agree 100%!