[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Menudo's Movie Reviews

Menudo

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up In The Air

As someone who has traveled a lot in the past for my job, I could really relate to Clooney's character in this one. The travel routines put a smile on my face, as I've done the same ones. In the end though, this is a character driven story with some fantastic acting. I thought the stand-out was the performance by Anna Kendrick, as the intelligent young up-start, who ends up teaching Clooney's older character some life lessons. Vera Farmiga was also great, as was Clooney. It was cool to see the changes take place in Clooney throughout the movie. I also liked that the movie didn't go the cliche route with the ending, like I expected it to. This was a fun movie, and I definitely recommend it.

Limitless

This is another movie that makes you completely suspend disbelief, just like "Source Code". However, this movie has several plot holes, and gets downright silly at times. However, due to some creativity and constant action, it is still an entertaining movie. I've never seen Bradley Cooper in anything other than a comedy before, and he does o.k. in this one. I do think comedy suits him much better. Robert DeNiro is nothing special in this one, but, he is solid as always. Like I said, try to ignore the plot holes and enjoy the ride.

Barney's Version

I decided to add this one to my Netflix queue when I saw that it got a solid IMDB rating and starred Paul Giamatti. I think Giamatti is a a very good actor, and this may have been his most impressive performance to date. He plays a complicated man, and the plot basically centers on the last 40 years of his life. Giamatti's character is anti-social, politically incorrect, impulsive and blunt. It is fun to see Giamatti handle this role. It is definitely a character piece, and I often like well done character pieces. My only issue with this movie is that it was a bit long, and definitely had parts where I got bored. All in all though, it was definitely enjoyable enough and Giamatti's performance alone makes it worth watching.

Due Date

A comedy directed by Todd Phillips ("Old School" & "The Hangover) and starring Zach Galifanakis & Robert Downey Jr., how could this one miss the mark. Well, for me, it found a way. This was basically a straight rip-off of "Planes, Tranes & Automobiles" without the comedy and without the heart. The jokes are forced, recycled and really not that funny. Also, Galifanakis character isn't likeable in the same way that John Candy's was in the "Planes, Tranes & Automobiles". It seemed like the movie was trying to hard, and it really just didn't work. The only thing that makes this movie watchable is the performances by Galifanakis & Downey Jr. I don't blame them for this movie's shortcomings. They were fine, the script wasn't.

Soul Surfer

This was a really well made movie depicting the true and inspirational story of Bethany Hamilton, who had her arm ripped off by a shark, but, continued on her dream to become a professional surfer. Solid performances were turned in by future-hottie, Anna-Sophia Robb, Helen Hunt, Dennis Quaid and the rest of the cast. Solid movie.

Watched Horrible Bosses on PPV the other night. Laughed my ass off from beginning to end. Charlie Day from Always Sunny is in it, and that dude just makes me laugh no matter what he does. Jennifer Aniston even had some funny lines. The movie is pretty ridiculous and over the top, but a lot of it rings true if you've ever had a crappy boss. Highly recommended, best comedy I've seen in some time.

• 1 month later...

Moneyball

I had already read the book moneyball, which was a fantastic book. I really didn't see how they could make this book into a solid movie. It is essentially about Billy Beane's use of Bill James' statistics to try to be competitive with a budget-challenged Oakland A's ballclub. As anyone who has read my posts on baseball knows, this is a subject that is close to my heart. I love baseball, so, I was obviously a solid target audience for this one. I loved it. I thought Brad Pitt was fantastic as Beane, and Jonah Hill actually did a decent job in the fist time I've seen him in a non-comedy role. He plays the assistant hired by Beane to help crunch the numbers. I thought they did a great job of getting you excited about and rooting for the A's, even though you know what the final result will be. This turned out to be a very good movie.

Edited by Menudo

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1

I saw the first three Twilight movies, as my wife is a big fan of the books. I didn't like the first three movies anywhere near as much as she did, but, I did enjoy them. I liked seeing the battle that began to break out between the vampires and the wolves. Well, this fourth installment is where the series seems to have jumped the shark. It dropped off big time. I found this one to be extremely boring. There were only two small fights in the entire movie, and is

mostly about them getting married and having a baby

............::wacko: If the next one drops off as much as this one did, it might become unwatchable. I actually laughed at a few spots where they weren't intending for me to laugh.

Just Go With It

The wife and I sat down to watch this one Saturday night, and it is essentially your typical "date movie". However, it is pretty well done for that genre. I usually find Sandler likeable, and this movie is no different. I also love Jennifer Aniston. She might not be the sexiest woman of all-time, but, she sure does it for me. She holds up very well competing against model Brooklyn Decker, when you consider how much older Aniston is. I've seen the girl playing the daughter in this movie before. Her name is Bailee Madison, and she is a good little actor. I thought she had some funny scenes in this one. It is typical, as you know how it is going to end 30 minutes in, but, I still enjoyed it.

Elf

I finally got around to watching "Elf". I've been wanting to see it for a while, but, just never got around to it. I thought this was a great Christmas comedy. I've always been a fan of Will Ferrell, and I think he is on top of his game in this one. Not only is the movie funny, but, it has some heart as well. A lot of the new age Christmas movies have missed with me, but, this one does a great job. I've seen Zoey Deschanel in several movies, and I will now classify her as one of those girls that I didn't used to find hot, but, now, I sort of do. Solid Christmas comedy.

Warrior

Wow, what a great movie this was !! I'm a big fan of scholastic wrestling and also MMA, so, this movie was right up my alley. It really hit home for me, seeing Kurt Angle playing one of the opposing fighters, and they even used clips of four-time, undefeated Pennsylvania state champion, Cary Kolat. I've been going to the PA state championships every year since I was five, so, that was cool to see. Now, back to the movie. It definitely had some cliches and cheezy parts, but, in the end, I simply didn't mine, because this movie was so well done. The fight scenes are absolutely fantastic. The acting was awesome as well. The two main fighters were done incredibly well by relative unknowns, Tom Hardy & Joel Edgerton. Nick Nolte plays the estranged, former-acoholic father to absolute perfection. I think he should be nominated and possibly win an academy award for his portrayal. I doubt this movie is up for best picture, but, it should be in my opinion. The family struggles combined with the fight scenes were absolutely great. It was kind of like Rocky, but, it develops two characters, each of whom you are rooting for in different ways. Outstanding !!!

Tron - puke. In fairness I didn't last more than about 30-40 mins into it but gave up at that point. Let's face it, the novelty of the orig Tron was its main appeal, it wasn't much of a movie in strict theatrical terms - and since that is gone here, it must stand more on its own merits. Clearly it did not unless it made some amazing turn of quality later on. I turned it off when they digressed from the whole martial arts action thing to a matrix-like slo mo shot which made me hurl at its total unoriginality and overall cheesiness. The only thing missing was Keanu Reeves and that was its most redeeming feature.

Tron - puke. In fairness I didn't last more than about 30-40 mins into it but gave up at that point. Let's face it, the novelty of the orig Tron was its main appeal, it wasn't much of a movie in strict theatrical terms - and since that is gone here, it must stand more on its own merits. Clearly it did not unless it made some amazing turn of quality later on. I turned it off when they digressed from the whole martial arts action thing to a matrix-like slo mo shot which made me hurl at its total unoriginality and overall cheesiness. The only thing missing was Keanu Reeves and that was its most redeeming feature.

:wacko: hey! I worked on that piece of Athena thank you very much!

Watched Horrible Bosses on PPV the other night. Laughed my ass off from beginning to end. Charlie Day from Always Sunny is in it, and that dude just makes me laugh no matter what he does. Jennifer Aniston even had some funny lines. The movie is pretty ridiculous and over the top, but a lot of it rings true if you've ever had a crappy boss. Highly recommended, best comedy I've seen in some time.

Ya and I really think Bateman is a very underrated comedic actor as he doesn't get a whole lot of accolades but I seem to really like all his movies and find him hilarious at times... You know in that dry humor way