[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Menudo's Movie Reviews

Menudo

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Simpson's Movie

I LOVE the Simpson, so, my expectations were pretty high. This was an entertaining movie, but, I was a bit disappointed in it. I've seen tons of Simpsons episodes funnier than this movie. There definitely were some clever parts, and the movie moved along quickly and didn't drag at all. No real belly laugh moments, but, some giggles along the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Superbad

Another bulls-eye for Apatow and crew. I loved this movie. I did laugh more during the 1st half than I did during the 2nd, but, I was entertained throughout, and had a couple of laugh out loud moments. I'd put this one up there with Knocked Up and slightly below 40-Year Old Virgin as my favorite Apatow movies. I really enjoyed all three of the main characters. Jonah Hill makes me laugh in every roll he is in, and McLovin was hilarious. I had high expectations going in, as I love comedies, and I wasn't disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

Gone Baby Gone

Wow !!!! I had zero expectations going into this movie, as I hadn't heard anything about it. Morgan Freeman & Ed Harris are two of my favorites, which is why I decided to give it a shot. They were phenomenal as always, and I thought Casey Affleck was fantastic as well. Actually, all of the acting was great in this movie. This was written and directed by Ben Affleck, and all I can say is :wacko: I really enjoyed this movie. It really made me think about what is "right" and "wrong" If you haven't seen this yet, check it out, you won't be disappointed.

• 3 weeks later...

Zodiac

This was a solid film. I'm a big fan of mystery / thrillers and this film did a good job. I wasn't blown away by it, but, I really enjoyed it. My biggest complaint is that at 2:45, it was a bit too long. The acting by Mark Ruffalo, Jake Gyllenhal, and especially Robert Downey Jr. was very good. All in all, an enjoyable film.

Zodiac

This was a solid film. I'm a big fan of mystery / thrillers and this film did a good job. I wasn't blown away by it, but, I really enjoyed it. My biggest complaint is that at 2:45, it was a bit too long. The acting by Mark Ruffalo, Jake Gyllenhal, and especially Robert Downey Jr. was very good. All in all, an enjoyable film.

Great movie.

ETA: the park scene was very intense.

Edited by Fatman

• 1 month later...
The Judd Apatow ranking of movies he's directed or produced (best to worst):

1. 40 Year Old Virgin

2. (Tie) Superbad and Forgetting Sarah Marshall

3. Knocked Up (funny, but overrated)

4. Walk Hard

(DId not see Drillbit Taylor)

The fact that all of these movies besides Drillbit are good is amazing. It's not easy to have only 1 good movie and this guy has been associated with 5 IMO.

I saw all of these movies except Walk Hard....but personally,...

1. Superbad - thought it was hilarious, but I'm not really an Apatow fan...I give his best movie a 9 because I definitely laughed throughout.

2. Forgetting Sarah Marshall - this movie was a bit awkward at times, especially with the humor, but I warmed up to the movie about 20 minutes in and it was great 8.5

3. 40 Year Old Virgin - didn't get the hype, I found some of the parts hilarious...but a lot of it was too over the top and I'm not a fan of the guy who played him (whatever his name is)...he's just not that funny to me..7

4. Knocked Up - some of the parts were hilarious, but overall...it was a chick flick trying to appeal to guys...6.5

5. Drillbit Taylor - more-so a kids movie to me...didn't like too much..but it had funny parts as they all do..5

Edited by Avernus

No Country For Old Men

There are lots of times when I am disappointed with an Academy Award winning movie or one that is nominated. This is not one of those times. I absolutely loved this movie and thought it was brilliantly directed and acted. The "chase" had me in suspense throughout most of the film. Javier Bardem certainly deserved all of the awards he received for this role. He was phenomenal, as was the rest of the cast. A lot of people didn't like the ending, and I was slightly disappointed. However, I felt that Tommy Lee Jones character was explaining through his dreams, that he was truly disappointed with himself for not doing more to bring down Bardem's character. I still can't decide if he actually saw Bardem's character when looking into the room, or if he was imagining him in there waiting. Overall, I thought this was one of the best movies I've seen in quite some time. Phenomenal and another winner by the Cohen brothers.

Burn After Reading

I'm traveling and didn't feel like having another boring night in a hotel room, so, I made a rare trip to the Movie Theater. It was one that had drinks and food, so, I didn't feel like too much of a loser for going alone :wacko: None of the movie choices excited me too much, but, I decided to watch Burn After Reading, despite hearing some negative things about it. I've loved the Coen brothers movies that I have seen, and this was no exception. This wasn't on the level of Fargo or No Country, but, still very enjoyable. The Coens do a great job of developing interesting characters, and those characters make this movie. I found it quite funny, and really enjoyed the acting by Pitt, Clooney, Swinton, Malkovich, & McDormand. I'll save the spoilers, but, I loved the way it all played out in the end. Good movie.

Gone In Sixty Seconds

It was on, I've never seen it, so, I thought what the heck, Angelina Jolie's in it. As expected, it was a lot of what I've seen a million times, and a typical Bruckheimer flick. I also found Nicolas Cage to be EXTREMELY annoying in this role. On the plus side, Angelina Jolie just oozes sexiness, and there was a ton of action, so the movie went quickly. You have to suspend belief in anything close to realism, ignore the various holes in the plot, and just allow yourself to be entertained. It did a decent job of it for me, but, I wouldn't watch it again.

Gone In Sixty Seconds

It was on, I've never seen it, so, I thought what the heck, Angelina Jolie's in it. As expected, it was a lot of what I've seen a million times, and a typical Bruckheimer flick. I also found Nicolas Cage to be EXTREMELY annoying in this role. On the plus side, Angelina Jolie just oozes sexiness, and there was a ton of action, so the movie went quickly. You have to suspend belief in anything close to realism, ignore the various holes in the plot, and just allow yourself to be entertained. It did a decent job of it for me, but, I wouldn't watch it again.

This is a good flick no way just a 6.5.

The Grand

What an odd movie this was. It was on cable, and I saw it was about poker (basically, the WSOP main event, given a new name) and starred Woody Harrelson. I've never heard of this movie, and I don't think it was in theaters, so, I figure it was a straight to video or cable flick. What shocked me was all of the cameos and recognizable faces in it, not all stars, but, all recognizablet. Ray Romano, Dennis Farina, David Cross, Judy Greer, Estelle Harris, Cheryl Hines, Gabe Kaplan, Richard Kind, Michael McKean, Chris Parnell, Jason Alexander, Hank Azaria, Shannon Elizabeth, Doyle Brunson, Phil Gordon, Phil Hellmuth, Phil Laak. The movie looked to be made on the cheap, and the storyline wasn't great. It had a few laughs, that probably came more from the talented cast, rather than the plot. I did read that most of the movie was done as improv, and the script was small, so, I give it credit for being different, but, I also see why it wasn't in theaters.

No Country For Old Men

There are lots of times when I am disappointed with an Academy Award winning movie or one that is nominated. This is not one of those times. I absolutely loved this movie and thought it was brilliantly directed and acted. The "chase" had me in suspense throughout most of the film. Javier Bardem certainly deserved all of the awards he received for this role. He was phenomenal, as was the rest of the cast. A lot of people didn't like the ending, and I was slightly disappointed. However, I felt that Tommy Lee Jones character was explaining through his dreams, that he was truly disappointed with himself for not doing more to bring down Bardem's character. I still can't decide if he actually saw Bardem's character when looking into the room, or if he was imagining him in there waiting. Overall, I thought this was one of the best movies I've seen in quite some time. Phenomenal and another winner by the Cohen brothers.

Cool, I'm gonna watch this one tonight. Rented it through Redbox. Is Redbox a nationwide thing? Only a buck per flick, and now you can reserve them online instead of tying up the vending machine looking through the available movies. Brilliant idea which, along with Netflicks, etc. will put an end to Blockbuster video stores IMO.

Cool, I'm gonna watch this one tonight. Rented it through Redbox. Is Redbox a nationwide thing? Only a buck per flick, and now you can reserve them online instead of tying up the vending machine looking through the available movies. Brilliant idea which, along with Netflicks, etc. will put an end to Blockbuster video stores IMO.

Jax,

Thanks for calling my attention to this. They have one at our local grocery store. Could you explain a little bit more how this works. Do you need an account ? Where / How do you pay ? Where do you pick-up the movie ?

no it won't - Blockbuster has the added feature of being able to return yer flick to the store for a free rental- dat in itself is way easier and more convenient than mailing something out. My local Blockbuster is always packed

no it won't - Blockbuster has the added feature of being able to return yer flick to the store for a free rental- dat in itself is way easier and more convenient than mailing something out. My local Blockbuster is always packed

+1

Blockbuster WAS at a serious disadvantage compared to Netflix. However, with the Blockbuster Online program, you can now actually have twice as many movies at one time as what you signed up for. In other words, return your three to the store, pick up three "interim" movies (which you can keep for like 10 days without being charged any fees), and you will also get your 3 replacements in the mail within about 48 business hours.

Not only that, but I used to hear that Blockbuster doesn't have the selection that Netflix does... Bogus. They have a ton of stuff, including full seasons of a ton of T.V. programming. My wife and I just watched the first two seasons of Showtime's "Dexter" over the past few weekends, for example.

The other thing I heard is that Netflix is having a lot of issues with theft. Movies disappearing from mailboxes, basically. The next phase for these companies will be sending out a "box" to their subscribers... Instead of ordering movies through your "Queue" and getting them through the mail, you'll simply order them from a box that is hooked up to the TV... Kind of like pay-per-view through cable or DirecTV, but at a much better rate (monthly), and it will be 100% independent of your cable/satellite provider. I'm not sure if Netflix/BB has plans to do this necessarily, but I know of at least one company in the Bay Area that is shipping out hundreds of these boxes daily in an effort to compete with those two. It's only a matter of time before the days of mailing movies back and forth is a thing of the past.

RedBox is more like a video vending maching... The cool part is they're only $1, and they have very current releases in stock, usually. Haven't seen it on the West coast, though. My brother frequents the Redbox inside of their local McDonald's in Minnesota. Pretty convenient and a great concept.

The Last Season

This was another move that I went into with zero expectations. I've never heard of it. However, I saw it was based on a true story about a High School baseball team and was "motivational" story, which is right up my alley. I was pleasantly surprised with this flick. Sure, it was predictable in some parts, and cheezy in others, but, I'm an easy win on motivational stories, especially about sports. This one isn't up there with 'Rudy', 'Remember The Titans' or ' The Rookie' as far as inspirational sports movies go, but, it was enjoyable.

Jax,

Thanks for calling my attention to this. They have one at our local grocery store. Could you explain a little bit more how this works. Do you need an account ? Where / How do you pay ? Where do you pick-up the movie ?

pick movie, slide card, enter zip code, grab movie, charges you 1.07 to your card for everyday that you keep it.

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

This is one that I was very anxious to see, as I've loved all the movies that Apatow has been connected do. Unfortunately, this one left me a bit flat. There were some funny moments, but, no laugh out loud ones for me. It was obviously a spoof of Walk the Line, a movie I love, and I generally like spoofs, but, I simply wasn't crazy about this one. It is a shame, because it wasted a really good cast, with a lot of the Apatow guy appearing somewhere along the way. It wasn't terrible, but, didn't live up to my expectations.

My wife was watching a movie that I caught about an hour of and was digging bigtime but it was late and I passed out. I think it was called Fracture. It was with Anthony Hopkins and I think Ryan Gossling ? Anyway I gotta check the wholoe thing out because it looked great