[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Menudo's Movie Reviews

Menudo

Now that I'm working at home, I find myself having more time for

Well, there it is.....what can I say, I was bored.

:wacko: I have hard time getting work done at home, too. Don't let your boss see this!

I hadn't seen this thread. I know there are movies I saw long ago and wish I remembered the details to watch them over again. I don't retain that kind of info, though, for whatever reason. Maybe I stupid.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan In Real Life

I had heard opinions on this one on each side of the fence. A couple of people I know said it was a great movie, but, many on the Huddle said it was awful. My opinion was much closer to the Great side than awful. I won't go with Great, but, I'll say that I thought this was a very good movie. It made me smile a lot, and I really enjoyed it. I felt that the characters seemed real, and the dialogue was solid. Very good flick.

No Country For Old Men

There are lots of times when I am disappointed with an Academy Award winning movie or one that is nominated. This is not one of those times. I absolutely loved this movie and thought it was brilliantly directed and acted. The "chase" had me in suspense throughout most of the film. Javier Bardem certainly deserved all of the awards he received for this role. He was phenomenal, as was the rest of the cast. A lot of people didn't like the ending, and I was slightly disappointed. However, I felt that Tommy Lee Jones character was explaining through his dreams, that he was truly disappointed with himself for not doing more to bring down Bardem's character. I still can't decide if he actually saw Bardem's character when looking into the room, or if he was imagining him in there waiting. Overall, I thought this was one of the best movies I've seen in quite some time. Phenomenal and another winner by the Cohen brothers.

Alot of people didn't like the ending? What ending? The friggin' movie left you hanging and i can't stand that. Such a shame because the movie was great up until it just cut off. Why does Hollywood have to ruin things by screwing with the endings? Movie totally pissed me off.

Jax,

Thanks for calling my attention to this. They have one at our local grocery store. Could you explain a little bit more how this works. Do you need an account ? Where / How do you pay ? Where do you pick-up the movie ?

Go to Redbox.com and it will show you where a vending machine near you is. Make sure you check out the movies from that machine and not one from another. I reserved a movie and couldn't figure out why when I got there it wouldn't accept my reservation. I accidentally reserved it from a different location, which turned out to be no big deal as it was close to home also. I have 3 places really close to me. Don't know about up north, but McDonalds seems to be a favorite location for Redbox.

pick movie, slide card, enter zip code, grab movie, charges you 1.07 to your card for everyday that you keep it.

:wacko: Pretty much that's it. You also have to give them an e-mail addy as they'll send you a reciept via e-mail. Pretty simple, especially since I finally figured out that you can resrve movies in advance if they are in stock.

Dan In Real Life

I had heard opinions on this one on each side of the fence. A couple of people I know said it was a great movie, but, many on the Huddle said it was awful. My opinion was much closer to the Great side than awful. I won't go with Great, but, I'll say that I thought this was a very good movie. It made me smile a lot, and I really enjoyed it. I felt that the characters seemed real, and the dialogue was solid. Very good flick.

I think families like the one featured in Dan in Real Life hardly exsist. I thought it was way too perfect without the filmmaker intending it to be so perfect. The movie was okay, some nice moments and I liked Carrell, but the family was really too sappy sweet for me to be able to get behind the movie as a whole.

• 1 month later...

Iron Man

This movie obviously came with a LOT of hype. Lots of times, that can be a bad thing, as expectations are set. This one met my expectations and proved worthy of all the hype. I thought this was an awesome movie. Incredibly well done. They didn't make the fight scenes any longer than they had to be, or the movie any longer than it had to be, for that matter. The movie never slowed down for me, and kept a great pace throughout. Downey is a GREAT actor and he pulled off this role wonderfully. Great movie, and I will definitely watch it again.

Iron Man

This movie obviously came with a LOT of hype. Lots of times, that can be a bad thing, as expectations are set. This one met my expectations and proved worthy of all the hype. I thought this was an awesome movie. Incredibly well done. They didn't make the fight scenes any longer than they had to be, or the movie any longer than it had to be, for that matter. The movie never slowed down for me, and kept a great pace throughout. Downey is a GREAT actor and he pulled off this role wonderfully. Great movie, and I will definitely watch it again.

You would have given it an 11.0 had you seen it on the big screen like it was meant to be seen... :wacko:

Tropic Thunder

This turned out to be a decent comedy, but, I was left a little bit disappointment due to high expectations. The movie had a great cast, and had good reviews on IMDB. It was on of those comedies that was enjoyable, had a few light laugh moments, but, nothing that had me in stitches. First, for the good, Robert Downey Jr. is brilliant, as usual. His character basically steals the show, in my opinion. Ben Stiller was o.k., but, Jack Black annoyed the hell out of me in this movie. I know he annoys some people, but, he's never really bothered me, and I actually really liked him in a couple of movies. In this one, I hated his character by the end of the movie. Tom Cruise has a great cameo. The funniest parts have been done before, particularly in "Three Amigos", which probably did it a bit better. It was solid, but, didn't live up to my expectations.

You would have given it an 11.0 had you seen it on the big screen like it was meant to be seen... :wacko:

i saw it on a 63" DLP.

I also thought is was your basic rote "super hero" film redeemed by RDJ, who so far as I can tell has recently gained the ability to walk on water and heal the sick. The man has done NO wrong for like 4 yrs.

Step Brothers

This movie was goofy & stupid. It used sophomoric humor. It took the easy, weak laughs. It barely had a plot and wasn't intelligently written. All that said, it made me laugh and I liked it. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't rank up with the best Apatow movies, but, I still enjoyed it and the time flew by watching it.

Wall-E

I had HUGH expectations on this movie. I love Pixar movies, what can I say, I'm a kid at heart, and it got great reviews on IMDB (8.7, # 34 all-time). The movie was great, and Pixar came through again, but, it failed to live up to the high expectations that I had. I found the first 30 minutes of the movie quite boring. I know they were setting up the storyline, but, I was a bit bored. Then, it livened up and the movie got really good after that. It was definitely cute, and I loved the Pixar animations, but, I don't rate this one up with some of the best Disney or Pixar movies of all-time.

i saw it on a 63" DLP.

I also thought is was your basic rote "super hero" film redeemed by RDJ, who so far as I can tell has recently gained the ability to walk on water and heal the sick. The man has done NO wrong for like 4 yrs.

RDJ absolutely made Iron Man better, but the film was almost everything an Iron Man movie should have been. I think the ending fight was a little weak, but there is not much else about the film I can complain about. Good humor, great action, solid acting, and the movie didn't take itself too seriously or too lightly.

The Dark Knight

My wife and I watched this movie at our neighbor's house, who has the greatest basement I've ever seen. I'm VERY jealous. He has a screening room setup, with a Hi-Def projector on one side of the room. On the other side, he has a ridiculous bar, with one large Plasma and 5 other small screens. He runs Directv to them all and gets the Sunday Ticket. It is quite impressive. O.k., now, to the movie. I can't remember the last time I saw a performance as good as Heath Ledger's was in this movie. When he wasn't on camera, I was anxious for the next scenes where he was. I loved the movie. To me, a comic book movie is only as strong as the villian(s), and the Joker and Two-Face were both great. Excellent acting by everyone involved, a good plot, and great actions scenes equals a phenomenal movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Juno

I really enjoyed this movie. The dialogue was great, and I thought they found the perfect actors for their roles. I don't pretend to be hip, but, this seemed like a hip movie. I had never heard the songs or the versions of songs I knew that were in this movie, but, I enjoyed the soundtrack. The time flew by watching this, which always lets me know if a movie is entertaining, as I think I suffer from a mild form of ADD and get bored with movies easily. Very cool flick.

Wanted

Great action, awesome special effects, solid acting, Angelina Jolie......what's not to like ? Well, the plot got a little crazy, in my opinion, as they over-did the twists, and you certainly have to suspend reality, or you will laugh at the silliness. All of that said, I did enjoy it and found it mildly entertaining. Angelina was sexy as hell, so, that helped as well. Solid flick.

Ghost Town

This was an enjoyable comedy with a lot of heart. Ricky Gervais, who I find extremely funny, was great as the "person that doesn't like people" TEa Leoni has never really done it for me before, but, I found her to be an extremely sexy older woman in this movie. The premise was "cute", their were several funny moments, and it had heart.

2 movies I've seen recently that I had not really heard about, but loved--

Jindabyne-Gabriel Byrne mystery/suspense flick

Gone Baby Gone--a movie by Ben Affleck, w/ his bro Casey cast as the main character (who I like better)

Wall-E

I had HUGH expectations on this movie. I love Pixar movies, what can I say, I'm a kid at heart, and it got great reviews on IMDB (8.7, # 34 all-time). The movie was great, and Pixar came through again, but, it failed to live up to the high expectations that I had. I found the first 30 minutes of the movie quite boring. I know they were setting up the storyline, but, I was a bit bored. Then, it livened up and the movie got really good after that. It was definitely cute, and I loved the Pixar animations, but, I don't rate this one up with some of the best Disney or Pixar movies of all-time.

we love Pixar, too, & this flick disappointed like you said. Nothing can stand up to Cars, I mean it's got Paul Newman (rip) for God's sake!!

2 movies I've seen recently that I had not really heard about, but loved--

Jindabyne-Gabriel Byrne mystery/suspense flick

Gone Baby Gone--a movie by Ben Affleck, w/ his bro Casey cast as the main character (who I like better)

I loved "Gone Baby Gone" :wacko:

I'll have to check out the other one.

Juno

I really enjoyed this movie. The dialogue was great, and I thought they found the perfect actors for their roles. I don't pretend to be hip, but, this seemed like a hip movie. I had never heard the songs or the versions of songs I knew that were in this movie, but, I enjoyed the soundtrack. The time flew by watching this, which always lets me know if a movie is entertaining, as I think I suffer from a mild form of ADD and get bored with movies easily. Very cool flick.

Just rented this and watched it. Loved it. Agree with everything you said. Screenplay was incredibly well written (won an academy award), acting was outstanding; just a cool movie.

The Thorp household is on a movie binge right now.

X Files 2nd movie = bad

Kung Fu Panda = good

Dark Knight = excellent

Tropic Thunder = fair

Hellboy II = very good

Hancock = good

Step Brothers = good, funny

Rendition = very good

Edited by gilthorp

X Files 2nd movie = bad

Watched this last night. I admit I haven't really been super caught up in Mulder/Scully since Duchovney left the show, but I saw the first movie. So, someone tell me

when did Mulder and Scully start doing it? and they had a kid???

. Yeah, you're right though, not very good.