[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A beer to avoid

policyvote

So I am scouting out beers for this Saturday (when drinking beer for an occasion I will often seek out thematically appropriate brew). Of course I have traditionally quaffed the Lion brews on draft day, but this year I was looking for something with a "blue" theme. Finding myself in an unfamiliar store, I checked out the beer section and found this stuff, Wild Blue. Normally I avoid 'flavored' beers, but I seriously have a hereditary weakness for blueberries (my father was known to down a quart in one go, for no real reason), and plus it was 8.0% ABV, so I figure it can't be all bad.

It's all bad.

Somewhere in betwen it hitting the tongue and going down the hatch, there's a fleeting sensation of that tart blueberry tastiness . . . but before and for long, long after, it's completely horrible.

Also I am now officially docking points for having "dog" (and ESPECIALLY) "dawg" in your brewery name. Dogfish Head, okay, Black Dog, cool, Flying Dog, we're starting to push it, but "Blue Dawg"?? No thanks. Didn't realize the whole thing was an A-B joint until I searched for a link to post in this thread.

ST. LOUIS(March 7, 2008) — Not suited for timid or reserved beer drinkers, Wild Blue’s defining taste characteristic is its kick of natural blueberry flavor. The Blue Dawg Brewing team carefully selected a blend of hops and barley malt to ensure they complemented and balanced Wild Blue’s dominant blueberry notes, resulting in a robust and aromatic beer with a refreshing, palate-cleansing finish.

Kick? Sure. Dominant? Yup. Robust? Aromatic? No doubt. Unfortunately I would say "carefully", "complemented", and "balanced" are all GROSS exaggerations, and to suggest that something whose aftertaste gives me physical shivers "palate-cleansing" is beyond ridiculous.

Then again, it's 8.0% ABV, so I'm going to try pouring a now-warm bottle into an iced glass and see if it's any better. :wacko:

Peace

policy

Then again, it's 8.0% ABV, so I'm going to try pouring a now-warm bottle into an iced glass and see if it's any better. :wacko:

Okay, I did in fact pour it into a wide-rimmed glass as they suggest. 1) Beer with a coarse pink head looks like sparkling grape juice. Yuck. 2) It IS way better with space to breathe . . . or at least, after you've had a couple and are starting to feel it. It's still not anything I'll buy again, and to describe it as "palate-cleansing" is beyond ridiculous. I am sure I will still be tasting this crap next week.

Peace

policy

I freaking hate all these fake micro brews that big boys are putting out. Most of them suck ass. Good thing is they're really not good at making up "soulful" names. I know hindsight and all, but "dawg" would have been a dead give away for me.

My wife brought home a sixer of Tap Room No, 5 (or something like that). It had wannabe written all over it. Honestly, I'm not even sure it was but I do know that it was a pretty lame brew.

Also I am now officially docking points for having "dog" (and ESPECIALLY) "dawg" in your brewery name. Dogfish Head, okay, Black Dog, cool, Flying Dog, we're starting to push it, but "Blue Dawg"?? No thanks.

Don't know if it's a real microbrew or not, but Emeril used to pimp something called Turbo Dog beer. Don't know if it's any good, but I do find the name kinda funny.

Don't know if it's a real microbrew or not, but Emeril used to pimp something called Turbo Dog beer. Don't know if it's any good, but I do find the name kinda funny.

I believe that's a beer made by Abita in New Orleans.

I believe that's a beer made by Abita in New Orleans.

Yup. Not heinous but certainly not one of my favorites either.

Don't rule out Flying Dog. Their stuff is good. Grab yourself the variety 12-pack and give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

Yeah I think I had the "In-Heat Hefewizen" on tap the other day and it was quite good. I'll scout around for the variety pack . . . I still deduct points for the dog thing, though. :wacko:

Peace

policy

I freaking hate all these fake micro brews that big boys are putting out. Most of them suck ass. Good thing is they're really not good at making up "soulful" names. I know hindsight and all, but "dawg" would have been a dead give away for me.

My wife brought home a sixer of Tap Room No, 5 (or something like that). It had wannabe written all over it. Honestly, I'm not even sure it was but I do know that it was a pretty lame brew.

Yeah, lately I've noticed that my regional chain megamarket (Meijer)'s beer section is awash in funky colors, flavors, and 'microbrew'-esque names. I'm like, "Okay, either their purchaser has gotten a real taste for the good stuff, the mid-Michigan market is getting way more edumacated about beer, or these aren't all actual quality microbrews.". I'm starting to see it's unfortunately door #3.

Peace

policy

What, the mental image of a turbocharger mounted on a dog's butthole, with aluminum piping routing compressed air up to the dog's mouth doesn't scream "tasty beer" to you?

Peace

policy

Turbo Dog is OK but it's not my favorite Abita product. I prefer their Amber and Purple Haze.

Yeah, lately I've noticed that my regional chain megamarket (Meijer)'s beer section is awash in funky colors, flavors, and 'microbrew'-esque names. I'm like, "Okay, either their purchaser has gotten a real taste for the good stuff, the mid-Michigan market is getting way more edumacated about beer, or these aren't all actual quality microbrews.". I'm starting to see it's unfortunately door #3.

Peace

policy

There's a few good beer stores in the area. Meijer has the usual suspects. They like to put my Newcastle on sale from time to time. As for making it a Lions related beer. Go with Labatt's Blue and Coors Light (The Silver Bullet). I don't think they're worthy of anything better right now. :wacko: