[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NHL Playoffs

chiefjay

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that sure sucked. :wacko:

Pens had that extra hop in their step and got to the loose pucks in the first period, but had none of that the rest of the game. Hossa stepped up his play, but effing Malkin not only didn't help his team but actually hurt them. And Fleury gave up a bad goal which we haven't really seen thus far in the playoffs.

Hats off to the Red Wings. Their poise and professionalism, especially on that 5 on 3 was a sight to behold.

Well that sure sucked. :wacko:

Pens had that extra hop in their step and got to the loose pucks in the first period, but had none of that the rest of the game. Hossa stepped up his play, but effing Malkin not only didn't help his team but actually hurt them. And Fleury gave up a bad goal which we haven't really seen thus far in the playoffs.

Hats off to the Red Wings. Their poise and professionalism, especially on that 5 on 3 was a sight to behold.

Well said. Not much to add. The Red Wings have to be a frustrating team to play. They pass so well, play incredible defense, and are getting phenomenal play from Osgood. Hats off to them.

Also, what you said about Malkin is exactly how I felt. He was a liability out there last night.

Well said. Not much to add. The Red Wings have to be a frustrating team to play. They pass so well, play incredible defense, and are getting phenomenal play from Osgood. Hats off to them.

Also, what you said about Malkin is exactly how I felt. He was a liability out there last night.

I agree. You guys should cut Malkin as soon as the season's over. You could probably resign him on the cheap because there isn't another team in the league that would even attempt to sign him after his release from Pittsburgh. He's horrible. Possible league MVP, but terrible none the less. :wacko:

I agree. You guys should cut Malkin as soon as the season's over. You could probably resign him on the cheap because there isn't another team in the league that would even attempt to sign him after his release from Pittsburgh. He's horrible. Possible league MVP, but terrible none the less. :wacko:

I didn't comment on how he played this season, and I certainly didn't say anything about getting rid of him. Did you watch last night ????? He was awful, plain and simple.

I didn't comment on how he played this season, and I certainly didn't say anything about getting rid of him. Did you watch last night ????? He was awful, plain and simple.

I thought he played ok the first half of the game but the 2nd half and especially the 3rd period he made some bad plays and he was out there all the time. When i seen him I was glad he was on the ice.

You are a moron, No one who watched that game last night could have failed to recognize how poorly Malkin played.

But no one ever suggested that he is a horrible player. Quite the contrary, it is because he is such a good player who has shown such greatness this season that it is so obvious and frustrating that he is not living up to his potential and to expectations in the post season.

Wings fan throws octopus, kicked out of Pittsburgh arena, sneaks back in

BY BEN SCHMITT • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER • June 1, 2008

PITTSBURGH -- Splat!

The octopus hit the ice of Mellon Arena to a chorus of boos just after the national anthem Saturday.

But the tentacled toss didn't come from a Michigander. Zach Smith, 19, of Cleveland, an avid Red Wings fan and adrenaline junkie, hurled the slimy creature.

Then he got tossed. Security guards threw him out.

"You're outta here," Smith said they told him. "Come back in and you get arrested."

But Smith and his two friends from metro Detroit, who asked not to be identified, had a plan.

They had bought an extra ticket in anticipation of his booting. That's an extra $300 from a scalper.

And Smith was wearing a regular T-shirt, instead of Red Wings gear, when he threw the octopus.

Outside, he quickly threw on a Red Wings sweater and walked back into Gate 3.

"I feel great," Smith said as he roamed around the arena. "I'm not nervous. Anything with an adrenaline rush, I love it."

The plan began Friday as Smith was visiting his girlfriend in metro Detroit. They bought an octopus at Superior Fish Co. in Royal Oak, stored it in a cooler and drove to Cedar Point.

On Saturday, they completed the journey to Pittsburgh. The octopus was uncooked, cold and smelly.

Smith wrapped it in a plastic bag and taped it to his belly, under his shirt.

"Before the national anthem, we made our way down there and stood there," he said. "I got it out and just tossed it."

As the guards took him out, fans screamed obscenities.

"I hate Pittsburgh more than anything," he said, noting the rivalry between Cleveland and Pittsburgh. "It was great. I loved the rush."

Jay Roberts, general manager of Mellon Arena, wasn't impressed.

"You're not allowed to throw things on the ice in the building, and we kick people out for throwing all sorts of things," he said. "That could have hit somebody."

What about hats during hat tricks?

"That's part of the game, and they are allowed to throw the hats," Roberts said.

Little did Roberts know that Smith had reentered the building and reunited with his friends.

Red Wings fans applauded Smith for representing them.

"Even if he got kicked out, that's true Detroit pride," said Trevor Staahl, 23, of Grosse Pointe Woods. "That's how we do it in Detroit."

"They got their traditions, we got ours," said Mike Gadsby, 45, a Penguins fan and native Pittsburgher who lives in Livonia. "He shouldn't have been tossed."

Gadsby's buddy, Michael Gelorme, 45, of Pittsburgh, disagreed.

"I'm glad they threw him out," Gelorme said. "You can't come in here and throw the octopus."

Thinking about the game tonight, effing Styx popped into my head and it won't go away.

Oddly enough, this also happened to me at lunch today. It was slightly different.

We are the Champions, my friend...

And we'll keep on fighting to the end.

We are the Champions,

We are the Champions...

:octopusgraemlin:

Hank had the best shift I have seen in a while kiling off that 5 on 3, maybe tied with Orpik's wreckingball shift. When they killed that penalty that was it.

Well, they did make it a bit exciting after that, but my hopes pretty much were dashed when they couldn't get it done with a 2-man advantage.

If Malkin shows up tonight, the Pens win.

Seriously? I mean the last two in JLA weren't even close. I suspect this one will either be extremely close or a Wings blowout so I suspect in an extremely close game he could have that magnitude of an impact which basically is one goal which he is capable of, of course.