[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NHL Playoffs

chiefjay

I got Detroit in probably 5.

As a Flyer fan I'd love to see the upset in 6/7 games. Don't think it can happen though as Pitt is just too much on the Power Play. Plus, with the loss of Timmonen the Pens will likely sweep. He would have locked down on Crosby or Malkin, but now that won't happen. Hurts me to say it, but Pitt in 5.

Yeah, Timmonen being out KILLS the Flyers. He has been able to lock down the other team's top players for two series now. We needed him even more this series. I was thinking the Flyers might be able to pull this out but without Timmonen I see the series going to the Pens in 4 or 5 games.

Edited by ebartender

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Timmonen being out KILLS the Flyers. He has been able to lock down the other team's top players for two series now. We needed him even more this series. I was thinking the Flyers might be able to pull this out but without Timmonen I see the series going to the Pens in 4 or 5 games.

Losing Timmonen is certainly a tough blow for the Flyers, but, I still expect this to be a very good battle. I'm still calling the Pens in 7, in a highly entertaining series.

the loss of Timmonen the Pens will likely sweep.

brutal timing...but it won't be a sweep.

Biron will need to replicate the Montreal series in spades, and hold Pitt to 3 goals a game. At that point, its in the hands of the offense. If they can conitinue to score 3+ goals a game 9as they have thus far), they still have a shot. That will be the key...whether they can get to Fleury. I think they can...but for four games? It'll be tough.

I see a 7-game toss-up, with an edge to the home-ice Pens.

FWI...the series opened in vegas at Pitt +220....currently at Pitt +170.

Losing Timmonen is certainly a tough blow for the Flyers, but, I still expect this to be a very good battle.

Exactly.

Oh, and there's no way the Pens sweep this series. No way.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Losing Timmonen is certainly a tough blow for the Flyers, but, I still expect this to be a very good battle. I'm still calling the Pens in 7, in a highly entertaining series.

Hoping so...

As an aside, I won tickets on yesterday's Howard Eskin Show to Tuesday's nights game in the Comcast Suite at center-ice! Eskin was giving away a bunch of stuff (Blackberry's, tickets to the Eagles concert, gift cards, etc.)...you had to bring a sports topic to the table, and then you had to be chosen to answer a Wonderlic question correctly. I called at 4:25, and was on hold for almost 50 minutes....when I got put on hold, they were giving away the Eagles tix. Calller after pathetic caller was getting the questions wrong, so i thought I had an outside shot. Don't ya know it, the caller immediately before me got his question correct, and he usually only gives one thing away every hour or so, so i figured I was out of luck.

Eskin gets me on-air next, and we start chatting about Brett Myers problems returning to the starting rotation. I was pretty engaging :wacko: Near the end, I mention to him that i was bummed I didn't get a shot at the concert tix after being on hold for almost an hour. He jokingly says "Well genius, you think your smart?" I say "Dude, bring it on"...he laughs and says "You a Flyer's fan? How'd you like to sit with me in the Comcast box on Tuesday night?" I was floored, and obviously jumped at the chance. He says "I'm going to have to give you a tough question because this might be the most valauble of everything we are giving away today". I was nervous, but confident. I should also say I was driving 60 mph on the highway, so I had no access to a pen/paper.

So here's the question I had 15 seconds to answer: A box of staples is 6 cm wide, and 7 cm long. If the volume of the box is 378 cubic cm, what's the height of the box?

I gave him the answer in about 6-7 seconds...he shouted "Are you kidding me?!? You are absolutely correct!"

Something to be said for paying attention in 10th-grade math....and for having a job that requires me to think numbers all day long. Looking forward now to a great game, and an awesome time with some hot-shots in the Comcast Suite.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Hoping so...

As an aside, I won tickets on yesterday's Howard Eskin Show to Tuesday's nights game in the Comcast Suite at center-ice! Eskin was giving away a bunch of stuff (Blackberry's, tickets to the Eagles concert, gift cards, etc.)...you had to bring a sports topic to the table, and then you had to be chosen to answer a Wonderlic question correctly. I called at 4:25, and was on hold for almost 50 minutes....when I got put on hold, they were giving away the Eagles tix. Calller after pathetic caller was getting the questions wrong, so i thought I had an outside shot. Don't ya know it, the caller immediately before me got his question correct, and he usually only gives one thing away every hour or so, so i figured I was out of luck.

Eskin gets me on-air next, and we start chatting about Brett Myers problems returning to the starting rotation. I was pretty engaging :wacko: Near the end, I mention to him that i was bummed I didn't get a shot at the concert tix after being on hold for almost an hour. He jokingly says "Well genius, you think your smart?" I say "Dude, bring it on"...he laughs and says "You a Flyer's fan? How'd you like to sit with me in the Comcast box on Tuesday night?" I was floored, and obviously jumped at the chance. He says "I'm going to have to give you a tough question because this might be the most valauble of everything we are giving away today". I was nervous, but confident. I should also say I was driving 60 mph on the highway, so I had no access to a pen/paper.

So here's the question I had 15 seconds to answer: A box of staples is 6 cm wide, and 7 cm long. If the volume of the box is 378 cubic cm, what's the height of the box?

I gave him the answer in about 6-7 seconds...he shouted "Are you kidding me?!? You are absolutely correct!"

Something to be said for paying attention in 10th-grade math....and for having a job that requires me to think numbers all day long. Looking forward now to a great game, and an awesome time with some hot-shots in the Comcast Suite.

:D

That's awsome Swammi! Enjoy the game. I can't wait to hear about it.

Hoping so...

That's awesome, swammi! I was listening to Howard yesterday, but turned the Phils game on the radio for my drive home or I probably would've heard you. Have a blast! Hopefully the series will be tied going into that game.

Hoping so...

Swammi, that is so cool !!!! :D

When I lived in Reading, I listened to Eskin and 610 often. I called into Eskin a bunch of times. He called me several names, as he REALLY doesn't like Pittsburgh teams, or their fans. It was fun.

Hoping so...

So for my birthday, you're going to the Pens-Flyers game in Philly. Hell, at least buy me a beer for cripe's sake. Nice job on the contest. No offense, but I hope the Pens ruin your evening and give me a great birthday present- a win.

Forgot to add my congrats to Detroit on a great win the other night. Man, they do look rather unbeatable right now. I figured the Stars had the type of D that could wreak havoc with the Wings. So far, so wrong. I'd realy love to see my Pens play Detroit. It would definately be a surreal series. I'm anxious to see how we would match up. But gotta win a series first. Ours is far from over. I think Detroit takes theirs in 5. I changed my tune on that one.

That's a HUGE loss for the Flyers. They just aren't the same team without him.

That's a HUGE loss for the Flyers. They just aren't the same team without him.

True, but, their defense is playing inspired hockey tonight, without their two best defenders. Crosby's 2nd goal was probably in, but, the call was no goal on the ice, and they didn't see anything conclusive. Entertaining game so far. Malkin hasn't played a great game thus far, that give-away to Richards was a dagger. Hopefully, he'll make up for it. This 3rd period is going to be HUGH for the momentum of this series..............

Hoping so...

Congrats :D

Make sure to wear a Flyers jersey. He loves when fans do that :D

Tough give-away by Downie on the Talbot goal. And a tough break losing Coburn early in the game. They Pens have a lot of offensive weapons, and not having 2 of your starting defensemen is not helping the Flyers cause. I think the goal was definitely in, but also think it was the right call all around. The Malkin pass that led to the shorthanded goal was brutal. The Flyers decided to be real physical with him, and I actually think it threw him off his game a bit, but I'm confident he'll re-focus and be ready for Game 3.

And all the Pens did was win the games they were supposed to. Nothing more. Philly is still completely in this series, and Pittsburgh needs to find a way to steal one in Philadelphia.

Tough give-away by Downie on the Talbot goal. And a tough break losing Coburn early in the game. They Pens have a lot of offensive weapons, and not having 2 of your starting defensemen is not helping the Flyers cause. I think the goal was definitely in, but also think it was the right call all around. The Malkin pass that led to the shorthanded goal was brutal. The Flyers decided to be real physical with him, and I actually think it threw him off his game a bit, but I'm confident he'll re-focus and be ready for Game 3.

And all the Pens did was win the games they were supposed to. Nothing more. Philly is still completely in this series, and Pittsburgh needs to find a way to steal one in Philadelphia.

Exactly right. There was a large portion of the 2nd Period where the Flyers had tilted the ice on the Pens. I also agree that they successfully took Malkin out of this game. He just didn't seem right all game. It wasn't the Pens best game during the playoffs, but, I'll take the win. These games in Philly are going to be brutal. The Flyers fans will be revved up, and the Pens need to get one of these games.

The Flyers fans will be revved up, and the Pens need to get one of these games.

I sure hope so...amazing what one weekend will do to the psyche of city. On Friday, the anticiaption was unbeleiveable....here we are Monday AM, and its doom and gloom for not gaining a split. I hope thefeeling doesn't carry over into a nervous building Tuesday night. The fas absolutely need to be a factor in helping the home team gain any edge they can muster.

As for last nights game, yet another entertaining battle...much more physical than Game 1, and the stars for Pittsburgh seemed to be less prevelant than in Game 1 (Crosby's bad short-side gola notwithstanding). But as good as the Flyers played last night, there were still long stretches where the Pens controlled the tempo, keeping the puck from the Flyers with beautiful passing and stickhandling. There is no question they have more pure skill up and down the lineup...the Flyers need that much more hard work to overcome it, and last night, they delivered. The turnover from a 4th-line winger (Downey) swung the game...a shame, knowing the Flyers played so valiently with just 5 defensemen.

Biron has to be at the level he was at for the first two series in order for the Flyers to have any shot, and thru the first two games, he has not been. I don't recall one soft goal in the Caps or Canadiens series....there have 3 thus far in the Pens series. And the power-play needs to find a way to generate more chances minus Kimmonen...there were times that the Flyers actually looked better playing 5-on-5 rather than with the advantage (when they tried to force things).

Oh, and Daniel Brierre....you can join the rest of the team in this years Eastern Conference finals anytime you are ready....and do us a favor, pick up Vinny Prospal on your way to the rink. The Pens larger checkers have done a phenomenal job of completely taking these two undersized skaters out of the game.

:D

That's awsome Swammi! Enjoy the game. I can't wait to hear about it.

I'll post my post-game write-up when I get home, if I'm not too full of beer...

That's awesome, swammi! I was listening to Howard yesterday, but turned the Phils game on the radio for my drive home or I probably would've heard you. Have a blast!

funny you say you were listening to the Phils...the only reason I had Eskin on in the first place was I was too frustrated to listen to the Phils for any longer....I was calling him to bitch about Myers! I But I guess I have Myers to thank for the tickets...had he not stunk up the joint so badly that afternoon, I'd have had the game on the radio!

So for my birthday, you're going to the Pens-Flyers game in Philly. Hell, at least buy me a beer for cripe's sake. Nice job on the contest. No offense, but I hope the Pens ruin your evening and give me a great birthday present- a win.

Happy B-day, Jax...a Pens 3-0 lead would indeed be a nice gift for you, but maybe a little drama and excitement would be a better offering, care of the Flyers. :wacko:

I sure hope so...amazing what one weekend will do to the psyche of city. On Friday, the anticiaption was unbeleiveable....here we are Monday AM, and its doom and gloom for not gaining a split. I hope thefeeling doesn't carry over into a nervous building Tuesday night. The fas absolutely need to be a factor in helping the home team gain any edge they can muster.

As for last nights game, yet another entertaining battle...much more physical than Game 1, and the stars for Pittsburgh seemed to be less prevelant than in Game 1 (Crosby's bad short-side gola notwithstanding). But as good as the Flyers played last night, there were still long stretches where the Pens controlled the tempo, keeping the puck from the Flyers with beautiful passing and stickhandling. There is no question they have more pure skill up and down the lineup...the Flyers need that much more hard work to overcome it, and last night, they delivered. The turnover from a 4th-line winger (Downey) swung the game...a shame, knowing the Flyers played so valiently with just 5 defensemen.

Biron has to be at the level he was at for the first two series in order for the Flyers to have any shot, and thru the first two games, he has not been. I don't recall one soft goal in the Caps or Canadiens series....there have 3 thus far in the Pens series. And the power-play needs to find a way to generate more chances minus Kimmonen...there were times that the Flyers actually looked better playing 5-on-5 rather than with the advantage (when they tried to force things).

Oh, and Daniel Brierre....you can join the rest of the team in this years Eastern Conference finals anytime you are ready....and do us a favor, pick up Vinny Prospal on your way to the rink. The Pens larger checkers have done a phenomenal job of completely taking these two undersized skaters out of the game.

Good analysis. Have fun at the game. :wacko:

Wow, you guys look scary good. :wacko:

Either that or Dallas blows. :D

I'm thinking it's the former. :D

I know this is tongue in cheek, but comments like these and the way the media has viewed the Wings up until this point is driving me crazy. Nashville sucks, wait until Theodoer gets ahold of you guys he's hot. Oops, well Colorado was really banged up and Theodore was bad. Wait until Dallas gets ahold of you, Turco is hot. Oops. Meanwhile, without their leading scorer the Wings continue to win game after game. And most in deciding fashion. Ozzie continues to get no credit.

Come to think of it, I think I like it like that. Dallas does suck. The Wings have been fortunate. I hope we can steal a game against the Penguins to avoid a sweep.

I know this is tongue in cheek, but comments like these and the way the media has viewed the Wings up until this point is driving me crazy. Nashville sucks, wait until Theodoer gets ahold of you guys he's hot. Oops, well Colorado was really banged up and Theodore was bad. Wait until Dallas gets ahold of you, Turco is hot. Oops. Meanwhile, without their leading scorer the Wings continue to win game after game. And most in deciding fashion. Ozzie continues to get no credit.

Come to think of it, I think I like it like that. Dallas does suck. The Wings have been fortunate. I hope we can steal a game against the Penguins to avoid a sweep.

I said it was the former, meaning you guys were scary good. But it's nice to see I got your panties all knotted up on a Tuesday morning. :wacko: