[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NHL Playoffs

chiefjay

You can go into the crease to get the puck, you can't be in the crease before the puck gets there. So, in summation, the call on Holmstrom was terrible, the non call on the Dallas goal was correct. Hope that helps. If it makes you feel any better, they shoud have disallowed a Red Wing goal earlier in the series when Holmstrom was in the crease on a goal, so that's why they were quick to disallow a simliar situation. Not saying it's right, but it probably led to the call. However you slice it, the call was absolutely terrible.

I guess I can agree with this definition in spirit but I dont think it is technically correct. I believe it can be called if you are or are not in the crease before the puck but part of your body is impeding the goalies ability to make a save. So if Homers ass was in Turco's way but his scates were out of the crease they could call it. Neither of these things happened. But if there was a need for a make up call it happened in game 3 when they called Homer for interference when he was 6 inches out of the crease and Turco actually scated to him and slid his pad between Homers legs. Also, if you watch the replay again Erikson was clearly in the crease before the puck got there. They got rid of that part of the rule a while ago. Its all about impeding the goalie. For what its worth that goal was good.

And the lack of secondary scoring is becoming a concern without Franzen. Huddler's goal in game 3 was nice but they need someone else stepping up. Funny how one game gets you worked up and wanting changes. I am sure they will take care of biz at the Joe.

Edited by Cameltosis

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I can agree with this definition in spirit but I dont think it is technically correct.

It is technicaly correct. I don't spell out the entire rule, I'm using the part of the rule that applied to the 2 situations last night. :wacko:

It is technicaly correct. I don't spell out the entire rule, I'm using the part of the rule that applied to the 2 situations last night. :wacko:

True dat. Except that Erikson was in the crease before the puck. Dont pay attention to me I'm still salty about last night.

if the Pens win the cup, I think it would be good for hockey...because I personally think the Penguins have more marketable players and the finals should be entertaining to watch either way...

but IMO Crosby is the most marketable player as are players like Malkin....but Crosby has the name....his name is easy to pronounce and easy for people to remember...

if the Pens win and Crosby does well....it will go a long way for hockey as a sport and I'd expect ESPN to try and pick up some games in the near future and try to market the NHL again with a new angle..

Disgusting 1st Period for the Pens. Undisciplined play leading to way too many penalties. They have been so disciplined during this playoff run. Fleury gave up a weak goal (1st one), and the penalty killing group couldn't get the puck cleared.

Also, credit to Philadelphia, they look like a different team tonight.

Disgusting 1st Period for the Pens. Undisciplined play leading to way too many penalties. They have been so disciplined during this playoff run. Fleury gave up a weak goal (1st one), and the penalty killing group couldn't get the puck cleared.

:wacko: I think it's a combination of the Pens being actually complacent and the Flyers playing desperate hockey...

The Pens could afford to give up one game to the Flyers. I can't see the Flyers winning this series. It was going to be hard enough with a healthy team for the Flyers to win. The Pens are clearly the better team right now.

I'm hoping for a miracle, but I just don't see it happening.

Edited by TDFFFreak

I'm kinda glad that the Pens lost last night. They had been so thoroughly dominating that pathetic Flyers team that I actually was starting to feel sorry for them. Game 4, however, reminded me of how much I hate those mother-effers. Now that the pathetic fools actually had a little glimmer of hope, it will be even more satisfying to crush them. I'm just sorry that it will be in Pittsburgh, so we won't be able to see all of the little girl Flyers fans weeping at their humiliating defeat.

:wacko:

I think it was important for the Pens to get those 2 goals and make it close. Essentially, the Penguins have been outplayed for 1 period in this series, and getting those goals and making it close gives them some momentum again. I hope. :wacko:

Great job by the Flyers of coming out and jumping on the Pens early and playing good, disciplined hockey. A well deserved win. Now hopefully the Pens get a wake up call and go home and take care of business.

Its games like this, when your team has a let down, that you remember how hard it is to win the cup. IMO the difference between your A game and your B is more in hockey than any other sport.

I think its crazy how much the Wings and Pens are mirroring each other right now.

Missed posting on Tuesday night...wasn't in a great mood, as the team looked totally lost. Seats were phenomenal, though. Sat next to Bernie Parent and his family....very cool! Others in the box included Eskin, Keith Primeau, and Gary Dornhoffer. Saw all kinds of celebs during intermission on the VP concourse...Ed Snider, Bob Clarke, Mario Lemieux, Lauren Hart, and many other local yahoos. Got some great pics of the pregame warmups if anyone want them sent...PM me your email addy.

Last night, oddly, was a little bitter-sweet. fFlt, in a way, like a consolation prize, knowing they took one small step up a long mountain. Could it have been the last hurrah, or a new beginning? We shall see. Philly Inquirer echos the report above that Timmonen will likely play Sunday. No issues with the clot or pain...moreso getting his game speed up, since blood thinners can affect your stamina. Coburn is a go, for sure.

As much as I like the rough-stuff, and it was good to see Hatch land some mighty blows on Malone, I wasn't thrilled with Richards goading Crosby. No reason to spark a fire. I'd have rather seen them take the high road, and leave the Pens wondering if the Flyers had them figured out somewhat. they certainly didn't need to get them motivated. Should be an interesting and hard-fought game 5. As always, the first goal will be huge....both teams played much differently with the Flyers in the lead....not seeing the trap was a welcome sight.

A win in Game 5, and the series is back on track...but beating the Pens in their building will be a monumental feat...doing it twice is absurd.

Missed posting on Tuesday night...wasn't in a great mood, as the team looked totally lost. Seats were phenomenal, though. Sat next to Bernie Parent and his family....very cool! Others in the box included Eskin, Keith Primeau, and Gary Dornhoffer. Saw all kinds of celebs during intermission on the VP concourse...Ed Snider, Bob Clarke, Mario Lemieux, Lauren Hart, and many other local yahoos. Got some great pics of the pregame warmups if anyone want them sent...PM me your email addy.

Last night, oddly, was a little bitter-sweet. fFlt, in a way, like a consolation prize, knowing they took one small step up a long mountain. Could it have been the last hurrah, or a new beginning? We shall see. Philly Inquirer echos the report above that Timmonen will likely play Sunday. No issues with the clot or pain...moreso getting his game speed up, since blood thinners can affect your stamina. Coburn is a go, for sure.

As much as I like the rough-stuff, and it was good to see Hatch land some mighty blows on Malone, I wasn't thrilled with Richards goading Crosby. No reason to spark a fire. I'd have rather seen them take the high road, and leave the Pens wondering if the Flyers had them figured out somewhat. they certainly didn't need to get them motivated. Should be an interesting and hard-fought game 5. As always, the first goal will be huge....both teams played much differently with the Flyers in the lead....not seeing the trap was a welcome sight.

A win in Game 5, and the series is back on track...but beating the Pens in their building will be a monumental feat...doing it twice is absurd.

Sounds like a cool experience at the game on Tuesday. I was getting ready to put a post out there asking how it went. Obviously, the game didn't go like you wanted, but, still sounded like a good time. :wacko:

I'd be interested in looking at the pre-game pics......... mvattivo@gmail.com

Edited by Menudo

I may be wrong but I think Vs. and NBC have the rights for a few more years.

yeah, I thought this was the case....

the games on NBC would be tough to buy out....but I doubt VS would put up too much of a fight as the ratings couldn't be all that good...especially with VS being a hole in the wall of a channel....I even have trouble finding the channel on DirecTV at times..

ESPN would market the games a little better and are already giving NHL games enough face time as it is.....I feel as if they are setting something up to get some games back on their station...

yeah, I thought this was the case....

the games on NBC would be tough to buy out....but I doubt VS would put up too much of a fight as the ratings couldn't be all that good...especially with VS being a hole in the wall of a channel....I even have trouble finding the channel on DirecTV at times..

ESPN would market the games a little better and are already giving NHL games enough face time as it is.....I feel as if they are setting something up to get some games back on their station...

The NHL and Versus just recently signed a 3 year contract that will go through the 2010-2011 season.

http://sportsbusinessdigest.com/?p=196

Nice win Flyers. Things looked pretty grim for awhile for the Pens. I was just hoping they'd get out of that 1st period down 2-0. That last PP goal with 8 seconds remaining on it was a killer. Just glad our boys fought back. Staal was possessed in the 3rd. Just one thing that gets me though. What the hell was Therien thinking sending Crosby out to take the faceoff with 22 seconds left? I know Sid doesn't want to be viewed as a Cindy, but geez! It wouldn't surprise me if Sid himself asked to go out there. Just glad he didn't get slashed across the hand ala Adam Graves.

Pens will be fired up for game 5 I'm 99.9% certain of that. Just wish the game was Sat. night instead.

Just in case anyone is wondering, should the Stars win the next game, Sgt Ryan will be making a cameo in this thread dropping his serious hockey knowledge on us momos.

:wacko: