[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

hockeytown loses the opener

crispirons

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif You beat me to the punch.

Anyway, it will be a lot tougher for Redwings.cup 5 game prediction to come through. Not to mention that the LAST thing the Wings need is overtime games.

Anyway, so far it's been a great opening night. Good game in Carolina (2-1 'Canes victory), good game in Philly (1-0 OT Philly win in which Cechmanek played awesome), and then the above mentioned Canuck win in OT, 4-3.

MAN I LOVE PLAYOFF HOCKEY!

BTW, tomorrow night should be just as good based on some of the matchups. I really like that Isles-Leafs series, as well as the Kings-'Lanche head to head. Actually, I thinkg the Kings are one of the top 4 teams in the West, and could probably win a series or two, unfortunately they start with Colorado so they may be playing golf in about 10 days!

Beat me to the post. Congrats to the Canucks, they did an excellent job of blocking the Wings clearing attempts. Two of their goals came as a direct result of botched Wings clearing attempts.

About the only good thing to come out of this game was that at least the Wings seem like they can handle Bertuzzi and Naslund.

Also, let me put myself up for some possible future ridicule:

I think Ottawa will beat Philly.

I think the Isles will beat Toronto.

I think Vancouver will take it to 7, with a slight possibility to win it.

I think the Devils will beat the Hurricanes.

I think the Coyotes will beat the Sharks (although this one I would not put money on)

I think the Bruins advance hands down.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts.

[ 04-17-2002: Message edited by: HUGH ONE ]

Originally posted by Foosball God:

About the only good thing to come out of this game was that at least the Wings seem like they can handle Bertuzzi and Naslund.

See, I think this is a bad thing for the Wings. If they lost, and got beat by the number 1 line, they could sit down and re-evaluate things. However, they shut down the #1 line tonight and still lost. This presents a lot of problems, as most coaching strategies are based on shutting down the #1 line and winning as a result of it. The Bertuzzi line will produce, and what are the Wings going to do then?

Originally posted by HUGH ONE:

See, I think this is a bad thing for the Wings. If they lost, and got beat by the number 1 line, they could sit down and re-evaluate things. However, they shut down the #1 line tonight and still lost. This presents a lot of problems, as most coaching strategies are based on shutting down the #1 line and winning as a result of it. The Bertuzzi line will produce, and what are the Wings going to do then?

I guarantee that if they continue to shut down the Bertuzzi/Naslund line they will win in 5 or 6. There were some fluky short side goals tonight. Don't get me wrong Vancouver played a great game, but the puck is not always going to bounce like that.

I guarantee that if they continue to shut down the Bertuzzi/Naslund line they will win in 5 or 6. There were some fluky short side goals tonight. Don't get me wrong Vancouver played a great game, but the puck is not always going to bounce like that.

I respectfully disagree. I think the Wings will be concerned that they shut down the Bertuzzi line and still lost. Also, I think 5 is out of the question now that they lost #1 at home.

Originally posted by HUGH ONE:

I respectfully disagree. I think the Wings will be concerned that they shut down the Bertuzzi line and still lost. Also, I think 5 is out of the question now that they lost #1 at home.

I doubt they're too concerned just yet. And while I agree that it would be very very hard for the Wings to beat them in 5 now it's not out of the question. Should still be a great series.

hats off to the canucks. they outplayed the wings. you guys are correct... the fact the canucks were cutting back and stealing, steering, and befuddling the wings on the clearing attempts was a huge deal in this game. hasek actually played well, but he let in an odd goal by sedin to end it. i'm a bit worried, but my fears can be alleviated by a strong game B. Wow. losing the opener at home is not what Wings fans expected.

Guest Azazello13

you think? the only effective thing i saw chelios do on bertuzzi was to flop on his back trying to draw penalties. they didn't score, but they had some excellent chances. could be a long series for chelly. or maybe it'll be a short one biggrin.gif

Guest Azazello13

There were some fluky short side goals tonight.

larionov's goal (the one he scored for detroit, i mean) was as flukey as any of the others.

one thing that doesn't bode well for the wings is the way hasek is A) letting in soft goals, and :D looking at his teammates in disgust after they happen. happened twice tonight. could be a real team chemistry problem brewing.

This was a statement game for the Wings. The statement they was: "We are an old, old, old team that has run out of gas. We cannot run the ice with the young upstarts. If not for that freakish goal by Igor Larianov, we wouldnt even have made it to overtime. And then in overtime, we have nothing left in the tank. Nothing left. We are nothing".

Hard to imagine RW any team needs a 'wakeup call' for game 1 of the stanley cup playoffs.

But it's not unprecedented to lose the first 2 at home, then win the series. Just ask the 98 Wings. wink.gif

Of course I should keep my yapper shut, the Kings could easily knock off the Avs tonight.

Originally posted by spain:

This was a statement game for the Wings. The statement they was: "We are an old, old, old team that has run out of gas. We cannot run the ice with the young upstarts. If not for that freakish goal by Igor Larianov, we wouldnt even have made it to overtime. And then in overtime, we have nothing left in the tank. Nothing left. We are nothing".

LOL biggrin.gif

You probably think that the Predators are going to win their series.

Guest Azazello13

i learned yesterday that the most recent edition of espn magazine has a picture of this year's wings along with a caption about them being the "greatest team ever". LMAO! seems like they said that about the '96 wings too. but this year's team seems like it has a LOT more glaring weaknesses even than the 95-96 losing squad. the 96 group really WAS a team for the ages, they just got beat by a hungrier team.

Four things come to mind while watching this game

1.) The best Red Wing so far is Jiri Fischer, he's been making excellent decisions and bailing out chumps like Uwe Krupp. Why is this guy still on the ice? The only reason I can see is size. He's a liability, yank him and put Sleger in.

2.) Red Wings passing is attrocious thus far, Vancouver's passing is awesome.

3.) Where is the heart?? In the cup days Wings were diving and blocking shots, I don't see any of that so far.

4.) Vancouver is doing an outstanding job standing the Wings up at the blue line, whether it be theirs or the Wings.

Well, well, well. One thing I've learned is to never speak too soon. However, let me make the following observations:

Redwings.cup is not the Wiegie board.

HUGH ONE nailed it on the head with his thoughts on the Bertuzzi line.

The Red Wings have the talent to come back. I think the question will be if they have the legs.

Playoff hockey is the best post season of any sport, by far..... unless you're a Red Wings fan. wink.gif

[ 04-19-2002: Message edited by: HUGH ONE ]