[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Woodley / Timmons

Woodley to start at left OLB for Steeler...Published Wed May 7 8:36:00 a.m. ET 2008

(Rotoworld) Steelers LB LaMarr Woodley will get a chance to become the starting left outside linebacker.

Impact: Woodley played in just 80 snaps last year, but he was the team's most productive pass rusher per play as a rookie. He had four sacks and five quarterback pressures in that sparse playing time. Lawrence Timmons will compete with veteran Larry Foote for the starting inside linebacker job.

Edited by Return Of S&B

• 2 weeks later...

Very good news if you own either of these guys.

Woodley is a natural fit into the WOLB in the PIT D scheme. He ought to battle to start right away. Harrison is a solid WOLB, but he's making his living in the one hugh game from last year. Woodley will give PIT more consistency.

Timmons was a concern to me, as I thought PIT was going to try to force him into the SOLB. He's a much better fit in Foote's spot, and his athleticism ought to make him a good candidate to fight Foote for the spot.

This looks like typical PIT LB stuff - let a player make their bones, wait for them to make high contract demands, and then let them go & reload with guys just as good or better playing behind them. And like typical PIT LBs, they'll never be great #1 LBs on an IDP squad, but they make for good #2 LBs & great #3 LBs.

• 4 weeks later...

the latest from PFT.. http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

FOOTE THINKS HIS DAYS ARE NUMBERED

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 11, 2008, 10:10 a.m.

Steelers linebacker Larry Foote has started every game the last four seasons, which might cause some NFL players to think they have job security.

But since the guy behind Foote on the depth chart is last year’s first-round draft pick, Lawrence Timmons, Foote actually thinks he has no real chance of keeping his job.

“I don’t think it’s competition,” Foote said, per Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I really think it’s just a matter of time until they throw him in there, just because of the politics of the game — and it looks like he can play.”

Timmons played all 16 games last season, but he didn’t start any, and he contributed more on special teams than on defense. Foote seems to think that’s about to change.

“We don’t know yet because he hasn’t been out there,” Foote said of Timmons, “but it looks like he can get it down. My time might be winding down at that position. It’s just a matter of when the coaches throw him in there.”

Although Foote can’t be happy about losing his job to what he thinks is “the politics of the game,” it’s clear from the way he always follows his comments with praise of Timmons that he has no intention of causing any type of locker room distraction. And ultimately, being that kind of team player is probably the best way for Foote to keep his job.

I drafted Timmons in two leagues when he was a rookie, and thought I had made a mistake, but things may work out for him after all playing as one of the inside LBs...should be an interesting August

Edited by Return Of S&B